Please please add an auto run key

Heafus

I have a custom mechanical keyboard that my daughter put together for me for work. I wanted tactile keys with heavy actuation (80g force) because I tend to be a sloppy typist and it helps me avoid accidental strokes. I write software and anything I can do to reduce typos in my code is great. I use it for gaming most of the time too even though it can be very tiring... especially with that shift key. Jumping with space requires a bit too much force as well. So, what I plan to do next is to swap out the shift with a 30g switch (I'm not afraid of hitting shift on accident while coding because it would also require accidentally hitting another key simultaneously) and probably something like 50g for space. WASD isn't a problem for me at 80g because I tend to be aggressive on those keys anyway during those moments when it matters most so I'll probably leave those alone.

Anyway, just thought I would bring this up because I think it's a good way to save on that pinky.

5 hours ago, Maharin said:

Go ahead and brag about your wealth.  Sheesh!

I was going to suggest spilling some soda into the key socket so it just sticks down all the time but didn't want to flaunt the fact that I have access to more than tap water  erm... collected rain gutter water in my household. 

(wait...is it too pretentious to admit to having rain gutter upgrades on my house? Dangit! I have a house!!!!)

11 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Btw who need autorun in 7DTD?? there is so many tree, junks , cars random zombies so autorun sounds strange because...  well you have to correct your way all the time

Flying. The current lack of T5 and having to travel 7km to the only other T5 besides Higashi and Dishong makes autorun very tempting. I would be happy with a toggle sprint already though, it´s really just having to hold shift all the time that bothers me when driving/flying. No need for autorun or toggle sprint when running though.

2 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Flying. The current lack of T5 and having to travel 7km to the only other T5 besides Higashi and Dishong makes autorun very tempting. I would be happy with a toggle sprint already though, it´s really just having to hold shift all the time that bothers me when driving/flying. No need for autorun or toggle sprint when running though.

Well tought running would be problem because running is connected with water so in theory using this you could just died ( well you can drink flying)

5 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Usually in games with autorun, you still move left, right, and even jump to avoid obstacles. Pressing forward or backward usually stops it.

Well in skyrim you can just go forward for km. But in 7dtd it's almost not possible

13 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Well in skyrim you can just go forward for km. But in 7dtd it's almost not possible

In most games it would be impossible if you couldn't steer while in autorun, which is why allowing steering in autorun is used. Sure, sometimes you can run into something, but you simply move and start autorunning again. No big deal. Quite convenient.

Actually, for this game, it should be called autowalk because of the stamina. Not many people would be running for a distance. Some key activates it and then maybe use shift to toggle walk/run. The activation key, forward, or reverse deactivates autowalk.

Edited by AtomicUs5000 (see edit history)

36 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Actually, for this game, it should be called autowalk because of the stamina. Not many people would be running for a distance. Some key activates it and then maybe use shift to toggle walk/run. The activation key, forward, or reverse deactivates autowalk.

Hmm. I wonder if it's just me, but I've interpreted most of the autorun discussion to be about wanting a toggle function mostly for the shift, not the 'w'. Something like in Borderlands, you tap sprint once and the character sprints until you release your movement key for a split second. Would be great for driving. As for running, it wouldn't really be worse than the current, it's pretty intuitive even in combat to slow down by quickly releasing movements.

1 hour ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

In most games it would be impossible if you couldn't steer while in autorun, which is why allowing steering in autorun is used. Sure, sometimes you can run into something, but you simply move and start autorunning again. No big deal. Quite convenient.

Well in skyrim i put ball on w while goind to this big city XD Well running for distances happens if you died far away

You guys feel like some of my indecisive customers. ;)

Customer: "We need a way to carry one cubic meter of goods from point A to point B"

Me: "Here, have a pickup truck"

Customer Rep 1: "Yeah, right, spend money on a new pickup truck when we can get get the warehouse to break down that cubic meter into four lots of 0.25 cubic meters and fit it into our sedan"

Customer Rep 2:"But some of our goods are longer than 3 meters, we can't break those up"

Customer Rep 1: "Just stick those on the roof!"

Customer Rep 2: "It might get wet up there"

Me: *Drives off in pickup truck*

I am not indecisive. I know exactly what i want. Sprint toggle in the game without the needs of macros or mods. Wich is an easy to make QoL update for the game. Having such things added, benefits the devs and the players.

I do love my standard office keyboard for 15€. Not gonna bother with anything else tbh.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

11 hours ago, theFlu said:

Hmm. I wonder if it's just me, but I've interpreted most of the autorun discussion to be about wanting a toggle function mostly for the shift, not the 'w'. Something like in Borderlands, you tap sprint once and the character sprints until you release your movement key for a split second. Would be great for driving. As for running, it wouldn't really be worse than the current, it's pretty intuitive even in combat to slow down by quickly releasing movements.

Well, toggle sprint/walk can still help, sure. It might not be as effective as a toggle for autowalk along with a toggle for sprint in terms of saving the most fingers.
One finger is a good start.  (uggh, cue Snowdog)

On 4/4/2022 at 4:26 PM, Roland said:

I just think it isn't high on their priority list. It may get added at some point. I don't think they are against it. Its not like its some kind of slippery slope that will lead to auto aim or anything...

Adding Run and Crouch TOGGLE option is very Basic option in most games.   Just saying...

• 11 months later...
On 4/4/2022 at 2:16 PM, Pernicious said:

Hmm. Recording macros seems easier to me than turning on a non-default action? This is my 7d2d Run Macro:

image.png.8542af344a87a5d173471db233846703.png

But, to each their own. I solve problems with the tools I have, not wish for tools I don't have.

Autorepeating options often are considered a cheat feature. _Certain_ AAA companies ban just on detection of software for keyboard that is capable.

On 4/4/2022 at 8:31 AM, Heafus said:

7 Days to Die is killing my left hand. Holding down W with my middle finger and shift with my pinky starts to ache after only a minute or two. The older I get, the worse its become. I know people have asked for this many times and my impression is the devs have said they will not put it in the game? I could be wrong about that, but for some reason I remember reading that. Anyway, I love 7 Days to Die, it is one of my most played games on steam and even though I take breaks from it, I always come back, but my hand just can't take it anymore. Put it in the set up menu, so that you have to go into the controls to turn it on. That way people that do not want to use it or servers that don't want it, can opt not to use it. It would make all the difference in the world to alot of people. I know it's wishful thinking on my part, but boy I sure would love to have it. 

did you try binding same key to both walking and sprinting?

33 minutes ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

did you try binding same key to both walking and sprinting?

Walking key? What? You mean W? What?

And yes we need this. Unless T5 POI´s will finally be more present and we don´t have to travel across the whole map if we want to do different types of T5´s. But even then it would be nice to have without having to rely on a 3rd party software.

We all aren´t getting any younger and espceially this game has a high percentage of older players.

Flying the gyrocopter is much worse. You have to have your pinky on the shift key, left finger to the middle finger for A - YAW left, middle finger on W Forward, and index finger on D - YAW right, all the while keeping C for pitch down and Space for Pitch up. The lack of mouse roll kinda sucks too. But it i nice seeing everything with mouse free look, like the minibike used to be.

I cant do this so I let go of W (forward) and Hit A while not accelerating to use A to pitch left. I kind of sucks and a quick fix for this would be a gamepad like the rumblepad 2, or similar, but then you have a controller for just one purpose like in GTA you use the gamepad in the vehicle uintil you jump out of the vehicle, which is annoying but I have done it.

K6jflol.jpg

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

43 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

We all aren´t getting any younger and espceially this game has a high percentage of older players.

Yeah with senior discounts so that is a plus I guess. Got mine last year.

Its possible guys in my generation grew up on erector sets, Lincoln logs, Lego's and just plain block. around the time of the Atari 2600 and mega arcades. So I believe the whole block structure of the game is like playing with blocks for adults. So this may be the thing for older people, It is for me anyway, Is true for most 3D game engines too, for level design.

I do see the need to have cap locks for always run. For most 3D FPS and TPS games you have Toggle Crouch and Always run, always run should be cap locks. As said, if you start the game with cap locks on, you just always run in game until you toggle cap locks off, its not too difficult to do.

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Walking key? What? You mean W? What?

And yes we need this. Unless T5 POI´s will finally be more present and we don´t have to travel across the whole map if we want to do different types of T5´s. But even then it would be nice to have without having to rely on a 3rd party software.

Meant for op so he does not have to hold shift key, because it is painful to him

1 hour ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

Meant for op so he does not have to hold shift key, because it is painful to him

Yes, that´s what i meant. It´s the W key. You walk with W it´s the default movement. And to my knowledge the same key can´t have two functions.

Also having anything else than shift as run button get´s confusing as it is a standard for pretty much every game. It´s a pain in the ass to retrain your muscle memory for one single game.

@bobrpggamer Yeah it´s mainly the gyro, but also the other vehicles, minibike beeing the worst of those as it is the slowest wich makes it easy to avoid obstacles so you don´t get a break from pressing shift.

1 hour ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Yes, that´s what i meant. It´s the W key. You walk with W it´s the default movement. And to my knowledge the same key can´t have two functions.

Also having anything else than shift as run button get´s confusing as it is a standard for pretty much every game. It´s a pain in the ass to retrain your muscle memory for one single game.

@bobrpggamer Yeah it´s mainly the gyro, but also the other vehicles, minibike beeing the worst of those as it is the slowest wich makes it easy to avoid obstacles so you don´t get a break from pressing shift.

Well never tried if the game has double inputs checked, good point. Never tried it actually, could've been just a workaround for time being I guess.