TFP new games?

Matt115

2 hours ago, Guppycur said:

Two games iirc.  A brand new one and one that has to do with 7days.  I'd *guess* it's medieval based given Joel's love for medieval. 

Aw man I hope it's not the same old European forest we've seen literally 1000 times before. We already have Valheim for that. Maybe one set in ancient Kampuchea or Arabia or something.

5 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

As much as i like the idea of a RPG/Survival game in the Shadowrun universe, there is a reason it hasn´t been one yet. It´s way too complex. At least if you wanna stay true to SR. Hackers and riggers would need a game inside the game when using their abilities for example. And imagine beeing a character using magic facing a street samurai with reflexboosters. A balancing nightmare.

I played the pen&paper SR for years, but i don´t think this would be a good idea to make. They would have to cut down a lot of what SR is to keep it managable in a survival game.

Also most people nowadays would think it´s a CP2077 clone. Sadly

lol I didn't mean a perfect 1:1 clone of Shadowrun, I was just using it as an example of a setting that mixes futurism and urban decay. I agree they shouldn't use a neon cyberpunk setting but the futuristic genre is far bigger than that. It has an infinite amount of possible ideas that we haven't seen yet, they could make it a decayed version of the world from THX1138, or pseudo-70's like Logans Run, or gritty dirty 90's like Split Second, or a psychedelic nightmare like Beyond the Black Rainbow, or even weird Terry Gilliam style like Brazil.

Obviously they'd have to simplify it but I think it could definitely work, there's no reason they couldn't make a quest system, proc gen missions, and hacking minigames similar to what we saw in the Genesis Shadowrun game, that was made like 30 years ago and it still holds up today. TFP are a bigger studio now, they've come a long way since they released alpha 8 or whatever. I believe they can handle something more complex than 7DTD.

24 minutes ago, meganoth said:

So what if dead space is released in 2-3 years when 7D2D comes out? Most people will play DS in the following 1-2 months after release. That will be long forgotten when say 5-7 years after THAT event the new game from TFP comes out.

Dead Space would have to be the catalyst of a huge multi-year wave of copy-cat games to make the space survival genre unpopular at that time.

Now sure, TFP could use EA with the new game as well, but to start they would need just a moderately big crowd of players not influenced by flighty fashions. They can wait for opinions to swing around while their game is growing in EA

Well this hard to say but let's asume it will be game with zombie not-voxel in sci fi setting on alien planet + space stations near planet as POI ok?  Design , art style would have to been much diffrent that dead space ( and it is hard for space ships if you want to keep horror style).  So it don't matter when will released because it matter when new game will be annouced, And... now it hard to say if remake will be good or not  - if DS will be good and sell well i think D2 remake or DS4 would be annouce 0,5 - 1 year after. And this depends if TFP's new game will be in early access or not. So... - only same space station and / ships  bad idea for game similiar to 7dtd or horror survival rpg. But space station and ships and planet can work

1 hour ago, geengaween said:

Aw man I hope it's not the same old European forest we've seen literally 1000 times before. We already have Valheim for that. Maybe one set in ancient Kampuchea or Arabia or something.

lol I didn't mean a perfect 1:1 clone of Shadowrun, I was just using it as an example of a setting that mixes futurism and urban decay. I agree they shouldn't use a neon cyberpunk setting but the futuristic genre is far bigger than that. It has an infinite amount of possible ideas that we haven't seen yet, they could make it a decayed version of the world from THX1138, or pseudo-70's like Logans Run, or gritty dirty 90's like Split Second, or a psychedelic nightmare like Beyond the Black Rainbow, or even weird Terry Gilliam style like Brazil.

Obviously they'd have to simplify it but I think it could definitely work, there's no reason they couldn't make a quest system, proc gen missions, and hacking minigames similar to what we saw in the Genesis Shadowrun game, that was made like 30 years ago and it still holds up today. TFP are a bigger studio now, they've come a long way since they released alpha 8 or whatever. I believe they can handle something more complex than 7DTD.

1. It can be done in plague tale style- hanging corpses  rotting, mud everywhere , zombie street urchins, hard to find food and tools etc. Just not another light fantasy in skyrim or dragon age style but grimdark like plague tale.

2. We didn't seen yet because  most "disctopian" games were bad or just medicore - cyberpunk, deus ex, observer etc. So it would have be mixed with Avatar somehow - let say one dystopian city with wall around and primal jungle with primal tribes, monsters outside

1 hour ago, Urban Blackbear said:

My last post in this thread was a joke but I would love to have a survival game based in ancient Mesopotamia or Africa. That's untrod ground as far as I know.

I was thinking about something like that but in aztec setting. Well Africa and mesopotamia are as cultures ( factions) in AOE1 and 2 and medival total war. but idk what interesting could be done in this setting because well.... deserts will be kinda boring 

8 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Yes, where the Aztec Empire never fell. They obtained alien tech to teleport themselves... in space! lol jk

Well i prefer more... let say darker setting? like : hight priesst was trying to do sarificial ritual on group of  18 yo girls but one of them kicked  a skull . So something go wrong and everyone except them became zombie. they manage to run away but fog don't allow them to left  a region. And then conqiscador show up too most of them as zombie  and rest i mean living one want to kill everyone else and find how to use zombie to conquer europe.

Imagine mix of plague tale with 7dtd into aztec setting

46 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

I was thinking about something like that but in aztec setting. Well Africa and mesopotamia are as cultures ( factions) in AOE1 and 2 and medival total war. but idk what interesting could be done in this setting because well.... deserts will be kinda boring 

There's more variety than just desert but I'm picturing a survival/exploration game. Ancient tombs, buried cities, etc. Kind of a survival version of Uncharted or Tomb Raider. Opposing factions would probably be necessary as antagonists to keep it interesting.

1 minute ago, Urban Blackbear said:

There's more variety than just desert but I'm picturing a survival/exploration game. Ancient tombs, buried cities, etc. Kind of a survival version of Uncharted or Tomb Raider. Opposing factions would probably be necessary as antagonists to keep it interesting.

This depends if you want - ancient period or modern period in this region. xd 

So if you want ancient period survival there will be hardly to make good in this region.  much easier  barbanic regions during Rome period

Because  7dtd in ancient Africa would be kinda boring

8 hours ago, Matt115 said:

It can be done in plague tale style- hanging corpses  rotting, mud everywhere , zombie street urchins, hard to find food and tools etc. Just not another light fantasy in skyrim or dragon age style but grimdark like plague tale.

ok NGL that does sound pretty awesome

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Fanatical_Meat said:

They’ve posted jobs for unreal engine people. Per my tiny bit of reading the newly released unreal 5 appears to be capable of making hyper realistic people and landscapes plus city scapes.

@madmole @faatal how about you guys giving us a hint as to what the other games you are working will be like?

Note that a recent Unity-engine demo also showed very very realistic people and sceneries:

Do not just expect all indie games developers suddenly producing highly realistic graphics just because they use an engine capable of it. There is a reason AAA developers employ hundreds of artists

8 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Do not just expect all indie games developers suddenly producing highly realistic graphics just because they use an engine capable of it. There is a reason AAA developers employ hundreds of artists

Nah it can be done just expect 1 hour of gameplay for 10 $ !🤪

33 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Note that a recent Unity-engine demo also showed very very realistic people and sceneries:

Agreed or more likely the game play simply sucks which is where an overwhelming amount of games fail.

Regardless now is the right time for a hint or simple image with brief description of what they’re going for.

On 3/22/2022 at 4:14 PM, RipClaw said:

I don't think they want to get rid of voxels completely. They have invested too much work not to use the knowledge they have acquired. However, they will probably limit the use. For example, the map could be static but buildings could be voxels.

Voxel buildings in a static map would make one hell of a crazy FPS. A new red faction style demolition game would be the tit's mcgee. 

I've read madmole comment a few times that he would like to have a game with a static world and building in parts instead of voxels.
I wouldn't say that they would just throw away their work in voxels (after all, it is revolutionary and people don't realize that), but I think they want a break from that for a bit. I do think building in general will be a big part of whatever they are working on for their next game.

48 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

I've read madmole comment a few times that he would like to have a game with a static world and building in parts instead of voxels.
I wouldn't say that they would just throw away their work in voxels (after all, it is revolutionary and people don't realize that), but I think they want a break from that for a bit. I do think building in general will be a big part of whatever they are working on for their next game.

Honestly voxels are nothing new and... will not change a lot - is some period of time a lot of people were thinking that physic in game will be revolutionary but... now we know that physic in games is "primitive" - rangdoll some object, some destructible wall and that's it. Well it looks but.... it's problematic - why? RFG - bridge can be radomly broken by random rocket and you will get mission failed + psyhic sometime can do strange things = crashes. So voxels is good for sandboxes( by this mean - no or basic story) not for story games. So If TFP want to implement more advance story they will not use voxel this time. So let's say it will be another zombie game or dunno... something like mad max - less physic mean more enemies, easier to made locations, more variants of enemy etc

Archived