Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

This might not be the right place, but in case there's a dev around to actually provide a dev-answer I'll ask it.

Most of this knowledge comes from general forum absorption, don't think I ever seen a dev say that "this is how it works" but :

As far as I know, from atleast A14 up to A20, the bedroll kept zombies from spawning around it when the owner was logged in ?

The bedroll didn't work with sleeper volumes introduced in A16, and has not stopped sleeper volume zombies from respawning?

A21 finally moved that function to the land claim block and works when the player is offline yes? even with sleeper volumes?

Does the bedroll do anything at all regarding zombie spawns now?

8 hours ago, Laz Man said:

"Undead variants coming to Alpha 22 and Consoles. Stay Tuned!"

Might not be too hard to tie some basic stat variations to those zombies too. The zombie who runs %10 faster (or slower), hits %20 harder (or softer), etc.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

4 hours ago, -Holo- said:

A21 finally moved that function to the land claim block and works when the player is offline yes? even with sleeper volumes?

Those would be great things to put into the tips list we see on the loading screen.

5 hours ago, -Holo- said:

The bedroll didn't work with sleeper volumes introduced in A16, and has not stopped sleeper volume zombies from respawning?

AFAIK not correct.

5 hours ago, -Holo- said:

A21 finally moved that function to the land claim block

AFAIK also not correct.

I also checked the release notes for A21 and could not find anything that is even in the ballpark of what you are claiming

I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I'll leave it here. There are currently a few buffs that, combined, make you be 100% less damage, in other words, you're invulnerable for the duration. This completely breaks the game in PVP matches and, in my opinion, should be removed or its effect massively reduced.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Morloc said:

Might not be too hard to tie some basic stat variations to those zombies too. The zombie who runs %10 faster (or slower), hits %20 harder (or softer), etc.

I think they said they are going to do something like the twitch integration buff on zombies. 

I think special skins for zombies like what we got for the bowler

cop zombies wearing Millitary Police millitary commander and Sheriff

Or janitors wearing orange, like a prison jumpsuit 

Lab zombies being in black to fit in with business POI

But so far i love what i see! 

I wonder what bikers and solders will look. 

12 hours ago, Laz Man said:

"Undead variants coming to Alpha 22 and Consoles. Stay Tuned!"

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.71e8627795174a480dfe4be808c7dd25.jpeg

Thank god empty jars were removed, cause now I wouldn't have anything more to complain about! This is awesome! *dancing naked on the couch while eating pizza*

1 hour ago, beerfly said:

The Shoes Burglar.

Hide contents

The structural integrity of this A22 bike is absolutely stunning! Will it still take only 10% damage when wannabe marvel juggernaut hits a curb?

3 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

Also this! New bike with new steel armor 

update-from-the-pimps-v0-tk9z9dhjl9lb1.png

This looks cool.

That being said, it made me chuckle a little bit as well. I would imagine this marauder armor is, at the very least, mid-ish game, maybe? And this dude is still cruising around on a bike? 😆

On a more serious note, I really hope they're planning on implementing actual bicycle mods eventually. It's weird that the current bike has mod slots but no mods that actually work on it (afaik).

28 minutes ago, Syphon583 said:

This looks cool.

That being said, it made me chuckle a little bit as well. I would imagine this marauder armor is, at the very least, mid-ish game, maybe? And this dude is still cruising around on a bike? 😆

On a more serious note, I really hope they're planning on implementing actual bicycle mods eventually. It's weird that the current bike has mod slots but no mods that actually work on it (afaik).

I think marauder is endgame.  Cuz in artstation. It says its steel

Screenshot_20230830_182223_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

15 hours ago, -Holo- said:

As far as I know, from atleast A14 up to A20, the bedroll kept zombies from spawning around it when the owner was logged in ?

For some reason, players have perpetuated a belief that the LCB actually stops zombie spawns. My understanding (and no, I am neither a dev or a programmer) is that it has absolutely nothing to do with zombie spawning. That is controlled by the bedroll. Once you have cleared out an area, you place a bedroll and no new zombies will spawn within the area covered by the bedroll. If I recall correctly, that is something like a 15 block square that reaches from bedrock to the sky.

I could be wrong with the details, but I seem to recall @Madmole explaining it like this, once upon a time.

4 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

I kinda have a question. What happened to the "gasser" zombie 

I know he's now the Hawaiian but is he going to be coming or did he go the way of the behemoth. 

gasser.JPG.782bc054de3bcffce4e0dd38751d0632.jpeg

Uh... wee need much more zombie types 

😭

Just hope for sequel fast

9 hours ago, Professor-Pip said:

For some reason, players have perpetuated a belief that the LCB actually stops zombie spawns.

The reason might be because they believe that. Including me. It is even in its description "A placed land claim block will protect an area from other players in PVP and prevent zombie respawns"

And they believe that bedrolls and LCBs stop respawns, not spawns.

9 hours ago, Professor-Pip said:

For some reason, players have perpetuated a belief that the LCB actually stops zombie spawns. My understanding (and no, I am neither a dev or a programmer) is that it has absolutely nothing to do with zombie spawning. That is controlled by the bedroll. Once you have cleared out an area, you place a bedroll and no new zombies will spawn within the area covered by the bedroll. If I recall correctly, that is something like a 15 block square that reaches from bedrock to the sky.

I could be wrong with the details, but I seem to recall @Madmole explaining it like this, once upon a time.

LCB's have done nothing in the past (as far as I know) and bedrolls have been used up to A16 when sleepervolumes came and pretty much ignored bedrolls.
Since A16 We have not used POI's to build bases in due to this, But for some reason (and I can't for the live of me remember from where) I think I read a devpost or something saying that LCB's should do that task now. (heck I could've dreamt it for as far as I know)

But. I done some testing in A21 with LCB's
After clearing out a Vanity tower I put down a LCB in the middle of it at (level 5 i think?), covering it all in the bounding box, (except the lower floors)
We left that town for a couple of weeks and returned to the tower. Loot had respawned, but no zombies had respawned inside (Except one soldier which might be a bug ?)

This is why I'm so curious about the status of LCB's. On other POI-bases we tried building there's both a LCB and several bedrolls, but still occasionally a zombie spawns inside the area.

2 hours ago, -Holo- said:

This is why I'm so curious about the status of LCB's. On other POI-bases we tried building there's both a LCB and several bedrolls, but still occasionally a zombie spawns inside the area.

This is from the 7 Days Wiki (it has probably been updated for A21, since it mentions that 3 LCBs can be active at a time):

The Land Claim Block should prevent all Point of Interest Zombies from respawning within its area. Furthermore, if its protected area includes a Point of Interest then it should prevent Trader jobs from selecting that POI as an quest location. This allows players to take over POI structures.

This does not prevent open world or horde zombie spawns, only POI zombie spawns are suppressed. For example if a player were to go into the Forest, place an LCB, surround the area in a 1-block wide by 3-block high wall, and leave the area for a bit, they might see a zombie or two within the undamaged wall the next time they return. In order to suppress open world zombie spawns in the area the player must replace or cover the Forest Ground or any surface block not placed by a player, with player obtained blocks such as Wood Frames or Concrete Blocks. However, there may be special rules for certain entities such as vultures that will still allow them to spawn. More testing is required.

7 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Isn't that the one that now spews acid bubbles around him? :suspicious:

The effects aren't the same so I don't think so. 

Then again maybe they evolved it into the mutated zombie

6 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Uh... wee need much more zombie types 

😭

Just hope for sequel fast

Forget the sequel.  All we need is a few more special zombies and we are good.  

We are good on ranged zombies but updates to the ones we have, and new ones

I won't go Into my ideas 

But we could really uses a massive boss zombie, not in size but pressents. 

And with the idea of zombies holding melee weapons like what MadMole talked about would be great 

I also remember him talking about mutated zombies that were able to uses weapons. 

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

5 hours ago, meganoth said:

The reason might be because they believe that. Including me. It is even in its description "A placed land claim block will protect an area from other players in PVP and prevent zombie respawns"

Okay. I guess I'm wrong then. But why do I remember so vividly Madmole saying something completely different in a dev stream?

59 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

Forget the sequel.  All we need is a few more special zombies and we are good.  

We are good on ranged zombies but updates to the ones we have, and new ones

I won't go Into my ideas 

But we could really uses a massive boss zombie, not in size but pressents. 

And with the idea of zombies holding melee weapons like what MadMole talked about would be great 

I also remember him talking about mutated zombies that were able to uses weapons. 

I think boss zombie idea is just... generic xd  night  of the dead tier - Night of the Dead na Steam (steampowered.com)

Better option would be just add realistic variants - Swat zombie with riot shield. change burning zombie into zombie with flamethower ( like re 6 zombies), maybe something like witch from l4d2, add maybe something like dead island Ram. But well number of logical and suitable variants is pretty low - i think devs done bad decision by not add zombie kids because it could help a little bit