empty glass jars

Survior

Seems like an odd thing to have to mass produce, but they get used up in a ton of recipes so it's entirely likely.

I don't remember this being a problem in Alpha19, maybe I got lucky with finding enough or maybe I got my forge before I ran out.

I think it's incredibly lame that I'm "super thirsty" but since I don't have any jars I don't have any method of moving that water from the nearby lake into a million things that could be used to to transport it (hello cooking pots and empty cans).

I'm hoping I'm just not seeing something super obvious, do I really need an anvil (drop recipe only creation) just to drink water in the apocalypse?

It can be hard to find enough jars in the early days but if you keep checking cabinets and toilets you should find enough empty jars and bottles of murky water to get you going. Raiding the diners and fast food places usually gets me going in food and water. I can't recall ever really having to make glass jars in the forge.

10 minutes ago, Urban Blackbear said:

It can be hard to find enough jars in the early days but if you keep checking cabinets and toilets you should find enough empty jars and bottles of murky water to get you going. Raiding the diners and fast food places usually gets me going in food and water. I can't recall ever really having to make glass jars in the forge.

I'm both cooking and farming, glass jars seems to be a weird hickup in my plan to chill in a farmer village, as I can neither cook my food (that for some ridiculous reason makes me thirty) nor drink water without jars.

If you're not looting, you might indeed have a hard time. You don't need an anvil to make them though, just the forge.

If you happen to have some forged iron, you might want to make a bucket to carry some to your base. One bucket is essentially infinite if you refill your bucket from the leftover splash. Doesn't solve the consumption, but it makes small amount of jars a little more bearable.

21 minutes ago, theFlu said:

If you're not looting, you might indeed have a hard time. You don't need an anvil to make them though, just the forge.

If you happen to have some forged iron, you might want to make a bucket to carry some to your base. One bucket is essentially infinite if you refill your bucket from the leftover splash. Doesn't solve the consumption, but it makes small amount of jars a little more bearable.

Your advice is twice appreciated, the jar recipe looks to me like it requires an anvil based on the icon. I didn't realize it was a forge. (I've got one). I'll also try to figure out the bucket thing.

but for anyone else who comes by, I'm just going to leave this here... why don't we have canteens? Why do cooking recipes even use the glass jar (with water) at all? Why does boiled corn make you thirsty? (It doesn't in real life). Being able to keep yourself from dying of thirst really shouldn't be an issue if you have a water source and a fire source. -- And yes, I found quite a few glass jars, but all the recipes for cooking use them up-- it's silly that you should have to choose between starvation and death from thirst because you don't have enough jars, lol.

Edited by Survior (see edit history)

I will agree that it's completely inane both that boiled corn makes you thirsty (while grilled meat doesn't) and that cooking recipes which use water actually use up the jar. That said, at any given time I have 30x more jars than I'll ever need because filled jars are *everywhere* when you loot. Go to a diner and you'll leave with 8 of them: 2 from the coffee machine, 3 from the soda fountain, 2 from the cooler, and 1 from the toilet. Most houses have a coffee machine and toilet, offices may have multiple coffee machines and toilets, convenience stores may have several coolers, a coffee machine and a toilet... plus you can loot trash for empties.

By the end of week 1 I usually have like 50 murky water waiting to become either boiled water or glue, plus a couple dozen coffees. So if recipes *didn't* destroy my jar I'd just have even more of something my storage is already overflowing with.

Maybe it is because in early alphas I was always in need of water but now as soon as I have a forge and can get sand I make a ton of jars. By ton I mean I use to have more than one chest filled with boiled water (even with me upping the stack to 20). Literally in the thousands. I believe boiled water is what brought out my inner OCD. :D

I don't entirely understand ... as far as I know you don't need an anvil to make glass jars in a forge. You can get the material for making them just by melting down broken glass from every window and picture frame you can smash, or any sand you can find if you're near a desert or a worksite. Making a pile of glass jars if you need them shouldn't be a problem. As for why they're used up in several recipes, I can only assume it's to stop them piling up infinitely.

I know the loot is random, but glass jars are very common in my overall experience of 7 Days. That said, be sure to empty any container of everything else in it - dump it on the floor if you don't want it - because otherwise the contents don't get refreshed which could affect your loot if you re-do the house later.

Also - bit literal minded, me - are you only drinking water? Red Tea made with chrysanthemums has more hydration and digestion benefits per jar, meaning you get less thirty. Mineral water has the same benefits as red tea but more hydration. Mix that with any of the stews and you will barely need to drink at all.

8 hours ago, Survior said:

Your advice is twice appreciated, the jar recipe looks to me like it requires an anvil based on the icon. I didn't realize it was a forge. (I've got one). I'll also try to figure out the bucket thing.

but for anyone else who comes by, I'm just going to leave this here... why don't we have canteens? Why do cooking recipes even use the glass jar (with water) at all? Why does boiled corn make you thirsty? (It doesn't in real life). Being able to keep yourself from dying of thirst really shouldn't be an issue if you have a water source and a fire source. -- And yes, I found quite a few glass jars, but all the recipes for cooking use them up-- it's silly that you should have to choose between starvation and death from thirst because you don't have enough jars, lol.

If developers wouldn't use a bit of suspension of disbelief, we'd have @%$#ing over-complexified survival games, they would probably be very hard to program and balance and heavy on platforms running them. There's some "shortcuts" the devs have to take to maintain an experience they wanna offer to their playerbase.

There's a lot of things that people would do differently, including myself. But that's not really for us to decide. We just have to go along. I would personally redesign the whole cooking skills/recipes because there is some concepts that I find superfluous and incoherent, but at the same time, I think about the monumental work the team is already doing for elements that are way more important than the weird design of making Pure Mineral Water, for instance.

As for your issue with Glass Jars... really I don't get the big deal with them. They are literaly e v e r y w h e r e, to a point where I get really fed up seeing them. I have never, ever made them in a Forge. You loot for one single day and you can have at least 30 to 50 of them with default loot settings. And I consume a lot of Coffee, Red Tea and Molotovs, beside regular water. I dunno how you play but if you're having a hard time finding them, you're the problem and not the game, no offense.

13 hours ago, Survior said:

Seems like an odd thing to have to mass produce, but they get used up in a ton of recipes so it's entirely likely.

I don't remember this being a problem in Alpha19, maybe I got lucky with finding enough or maybe I got my forge before I ran out.

I think it's incredibly lame that I'm "super thirsty" but since I don't have any jars I don't have any method of moving that water from the nearby lake into a million things that could be used to to transport it (hello cooking pots and empty cans).

I'm hoping I'm just not seeing something super obvious, do I really need an anvil (drop recipe only creation) just to drink water in the apocalypse?

jsut bring home some sand in t he first few days, chunk it in the forge(tahts that the anvil icon means, you don't have to have an anvil IN the forge), and smelt out 30-50+ jars.   Heck if you do that 3-4 times in the first week, you can just simply ignore empty jars on your travels and throw them out if you want and get a tiny bit of xp to boot).  I tend to play MP and have no idea what people throw away but we tend to not have enough jars the first week(with glue being the major factor in it's loss since you need loads to support 5-8 people), so chunking sand in a forge is dead simple

I just make several hundred jars as soon as I can. I tend to make tons of meat and vegetable stew since they are easy to make and use up glass jars. A couple hundred last a long time lol. Then I throw a few thousand snowballs in storage and all my water problems are gone. So I just ignore any jars, regular, and murky water I find in POIs for just a bit more inventory space for other items.

12 hours ago, Boidster said:

I bet there's a mod out there which allows snowballs to be used for any cooking-pot recipes. If there isn't, there should be. It'd be a pretty straightforward mod to write.

I'd love to see a mod (or just in vanilla) that returns an empty jar whenever you eat food that took a jar of water to make.  You'd still have the issue with glue eating jars, but I always kind of imagined the reason the jars disappeared when you made stew or whatever was because you were keeping it in the jar.

19 minutes ago, Vaeliorin said:

I'd love to see a mod (or just in vanilla) that returns an empty jar whenever you eat food that took a jar of water to make.  You'd still have the issue with glue eating jars, but I always kind of imagined the reason the jars disappeared when you made stew or whatever was because you were keeping it in the jar.

what about boiled corn? 😆

48 minutes ago, Vaeliorin said:

IIRC there was a mod out there that returned a glass jar when you ate certain foods that used a jar in cooking. I think boiled egg uses one doesn't it? It could be just add line <property name="Create_item" value="drinkJarEmpty"/> which is same line that returns the jar when you drink boiled water.

On 2/18/2022 at 12:14 PM, Survior said:

maybe I got lucky with finding enough or maybe I got my forge before I ran out.

Just re-read that part... one of my first four points automatically goes into the Advanced Engineering perk for the forge - glass jars, cooking pots, grills, you can make them right away. I can go without a workbench for way longer than I can without a forge. Your strategy might be different, but alongside sexual tyrannosaurus, animal tracker and [master chef], advanced engineering is the first thing I put a point into.

Edited by OneManStanding
Wrote "living off the land," meant master chef (see edit history)

I didn't even know you could craft glass jars untill A19, how ever since then I would go to the forge and  bulk craft empty glass jars. Some I fill with murky water for glue, some with murky water for pure mineral water. always keep empties for yuuca smoothies, also turn some into boiling water for making other beverages.

they are very easy to bulk craft if you don't find many, when ever I have played with friends I have always seen them constantly discard empty glass jars which seems backwards to me when I could just drink what ever the POI provices and keep a neat stack of empty jars. If you keep them all you usually have 20+ by the end of most PoIS

I use over 60% of them for glue/duct tape though

18 hours ago, Survior said:

what about boiled corn? 😆

Presumably you don't just carry around boiled corn in your pockets.  Cut it off the cob and stick it in a glass jar.  Or just ignore the fact that boiled corn exists in the game, because I don't think I've ever, in 1500 hours, made it.

19 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

ive been using this as part of my modlets for over a year now

https://www.mediafire.com/file/m8d7rahc84rf8mt/BoiledEggs.zip/file

as usual, extract it and drop into your mods folders

it gives you a jar of boiled water when eating boiled egg, i also created an ingame icon to show it

NkyuS7s.pngt.png

Edited by Data (see edit history)

13 hours ago, ElDudorino said:

But grilled meat goes in your pocket...?

After you put it in plastic wrap.  Don't you have plastic wrap in your game?  😛

Seriously, though, back when smell was a thing, there was a mod that added plastic wrap, so you could wrap meat to lessen/get rid of the smell.  That was pretty neat.

Can recipes produce more than 1 item?

Take meat stew for example, the ingredients are 5 raw meat, 2 potato, 2 corn, 1 fat and 1 bottle of water.

Until the game can produce multiple items from a single recipe, then all of those ingredients will be lost to produce 1 meat stew instead of 1 meat stew and 1 empty jar.

The answer to the original question is probably that the game just can't produce 2 items from a recipe.  Maybe that's on the to do list?  

To really get back all the bottles we unnecessarily lose, I guess you'd have to look at all the bottles lost making food, making things with glue (especially duct tape) and antibiotics just to name a few.  Maybe there is a something on nexus mods to do this.

53 minutes ago, pahbi said:

Can recipes produce more than 1 item?

Take meat stew for example, the ingredients are 5 raw meat, 2 potato, 2 corn, 1 fat and 1 bottle of water.

Until the game can produce multiple items from a single recipe, then all of those ingredients will be lost to produce 1 meat stew instead of 1 meat stew and 1 empty jar.

The answer to the original question is probably that the game just can't produce 2 items from a recipe.  Maybe that's on the to do list?  

To really get back all the bottles we unnecessarily lose, I guess you'd have to look at all the bottles lost making food, making things with glue (especially duct tape) and antibiotics just to name a few.  Maybe there is a something on nexus mods to do this.

You can make it so you get a bottle back when you eat the stew which seems normal. After all, you put in the ingredients and then when the stew is cooked what do you do with it? You put it back in the bottle of course and seal it. Then when you eat it you still have your bottle.

sand is easy to get/make , and 1 round of bottle making in 10 forges and that's it for a loooonnng time.

Have over 6k snowballs from treasure maps in the snow biome, so making water is easy too.

Early on,  I do snag every jar I can find, after I get the forges/mixers going... meh.

(I'm a packrat so I still snag'em, but ...)

:D