Underground building

RLBiscuit

This is my first post on this forum, so please forgive me as I'm sure it's been discussed.

To make this game the way I want to play it single player, I want to be able to spend the time to dig a bunker where I would realistically be safe from zombies, even on horde nights. If I'm underground, zombies should never know I am there, and they certainly shouldn't be able to tunnel so quickly with their bare hands. I'd like to be able to set up my single player game where I can make a safe zone for myself, and face the undead when I need to forage or follow quests. Torches underground, or inside a sealed area should not increase the heat map, and machinery that I build deep underground shouldn't either. If a vault door exists in the side of a hill, zombies should just walk right past it with no interest.

Again, this is just for the experience I'd like to have for my own single player game, or with a personal friend. If there are mods or whatever to make this concept work, I'd appreciate any suggestions, but it would be a lot easier if these kind of things were available in advanced options in the vanilla game.

Thanks

Here are things you can do:

1) Turn off Blood Moon Hordes. Now, you no longer have to worry abut Zombies GPSing to your underground base every 7 days. You can always change this during your game if you build a horde base later and want to fight them.

2) In A19 at least, if you built at bedrock with a sufficient elevation at ground level the zombies couldn't hear you. I don't know how this strategy works in A20 though.

3) Set up defenses like a pistol or shotgun turret above your base

4) Build an elevated based at ground level. To deal with screamers or wandering hordes, you can use a set of stairs connected to your base with three wood frames (the wood frames are so you can remove them and break the path to your base if you want.  In between the stairs and the wood frames, build a column of equal height to the top of the stairs and then build a frame around that column as if you were going to place a door. The "frame" can go all the way to the ground or just be built off of the top block. Then you want to put a hatch on the top block of the new column so that it opens toward the stairs and then another hatch on the block above it.  Alternatively, you can just build a fighting platform next your base to take on screamers or wandering hordes.  

They will bang on hatches.

It used to be if you were more than 50 blocks down, they wouldn't notice you.

That's why I'd build near mountains.  Base with walls up top, dig down to bedrock, then tunnel under the hill.

Dig out the big production area there.

Horde though, nope, they'll find it.  (I don't like digging zombies either)

I agree, digging a few blocks down, cheesy.  Bedrock?  umm...

I have accepted the fact that they can smell you coming out the hole you dug. One way to be relatively safe is to put up hatches and campfires between them. Light them and put up the hatch. Do this like 10x and most of them will burn up before they get to you on early nights.

I'm pretty sure I've had this game since it was available. I remember when the minibike was introduced and it made things a lot more fun, rather than having to run from town to town. I want to earn my survival, but if I want to play conservatively and hunker down, I want that ability back. I want to be able to light my tunnels with torches that the zombies shouldn't be able to sense. Going deep underground, especially early on, takes a lot of effort. It's not right that the zombies always have a sense of where I am and max miner 69er

6 hours ago, Jeraal said:

We used to be able to. TFP didn't like people hiding and avoiding the hordes so they gave us digging zombies. Same with vehicles. Vultures get a speed boost I believe so you can't completely ignore the horde. 

We had digging zombies first. Then they went away for a little while because the pathing didn't work well and then they came back when faatal redid the pathing.  Let's get the history of it right at least.

3 hours ago, RLBiscuit said:

I'm pretty sure I've had this game since it was available. I remember when the minibike was introduced and it made things a lot more fun, rather than having to run from town to town. I want to earn my survival, but if I want to play conservatively and hunker down, I want that ability back. I want to be able to light my tunnels with torches that the zombies shouldn't be able to sense. Going deep underground, especially early on, takes a lot of effort. It's not right that the zombies always have a sense of where I am and max miner 69er

Turn off your blood moon hordes and make your tunnels deep underground and you'll likely never be bothered.

I seem to remember a time when carrying raw meat was a trigger for zombies. Maybe I'm wrong. I remember digging to bedrock and if I was down there and an air drop happened, the package would be underground.

It just seems to me that if there is to be any realism in this obviously unrealistic game, I should be able to choose to burrow and hide until I am equipped enough to face the hordes face to face. As a child I explored bunkers in real life. Duke Nukem 3d, Halflife, I built levels based on what I explored. Now I just want to build my own in 7d2d and be safe from zombies that shouldn't have any idea I'm there

15 hours ago, RLBiscuit said:

I seem to remember a time when carrying raw meat was a trigger for zombies. Maybe I'm wrong. I remember digging to bedrock and if I was down there and an air drop happened, the package would be underground.

It just seems to me that if there is to be any realism in this obviously unrealistic game, I should be able to choose to burrow and hide until I am equipped enough to face the hordes face to face. As a child I explored bunkers in real life. Duke Nukem 3d, Halflife, I built levels based on what I explored. Now I just want to build my own in 7d2d and be safe from zombies that shouldn't have any idea I'm there

It's a game not a real life simulator.  That is why zombies will tunnel for you. 

That said there is an option to  more easily deal with zombies or screamers in a mine/bunker is to create a ramp from the surface to somewhere close to your bunker.  I would run the ramp parallel to your bunker so that the top entrance is as close as possible to your bunker.  You may need to make switch backs if you are really deep.  At the base of the ramp create a two high tunnel. You can place hatches on the floor and flip them up to prevent zombies from coming through. I would place multiple hatches so you have a fall back.  This will allow you to snipe the screamers before they see you (or at least it did in A19).  One thing to keep in mind is that zombies can now go through 1m spaces and so this isn't as fool proof as it once was. I would place a top block on the hatch closest to the ramp (obviously you will need to frame this as if placing a door so that that the top block has something to attach to). You could use bars or the plate with a circular cut out so that you can shoot through it.  This will allow you to funnel the zombies and minimize the random digging. As you progress you can add traps, turrets, dart traps controlled by trigger plates, electric fences, etc., to better control the access point.

In A19, once I established a mine I always built a ramp down to a tunnel with hatches so that I gave the zombies the ability to access me without digging and I could control the terms of engagement. I haven't gotten that far in A20 and don't know what changes are needed, if any, to tweak the design.

There is another option for you if you don't mind using an exploit.  If you build a base above ground you can surround it with a three wide and three deep trench.  Place arrow slit blocks flat side up on the top layer and the zombies won't cross it. I'm sure this will be patched at some point. I've never personally done this but it's something you can do.

20 hours ago, RLBiscuit said:

I've never once had a zombie dig down to bedrock. Ever. I always dig a shaft down from the center of my base then tunnel off in directions for mining. Same as I've done since I started the game in A14. I use candles instead of torches both above and below ground as torch heat is excessive. Only place I use torches is on my horde night street columns.

There is a simple option that allows you to be 100% safe down there without any effort:

Turn the BlockDamage of AI to the lowest possible value. The client only allows you to go down to 25%. If that isn't enough, use a dedicated server and change it in serverconfig.xml. I wouldn't set it to 0, as that possibly wasn't tested, but set it to 1 and zombies would need 100 times longer to dig down meaning they would take in-game weeks for any noticable distance. 

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

On 12/17/2021 at 6:54 PM, RLBiscuit said:

I want to be able to spend the time to dig a bunker where I would realistically be safe from zombies, even on horde nights.

So you'll need to mine out a huge amount of stone. In order to not die of boredom and hunger during mining, you'll need high-end tools and max miner 69er / sex TRex / Strength levels. In order to obtain that, you'll need to gain a lot of XP, and the best way of getting XP is farming zombies. That's why you wouldn't want to hide from them deep underground, especially on Blood Moon nights.

Edited by Ray_Garraty (see edit history)

27 minutes ago, Ray_Garraty said:

So you'll need to mine out a huge amount of stone. In order to not die of boredom and hunger during mining, you'll need high-end tools and max miner 69er / sex TRex / Strength levels. In order to obtain that, you'll need to gain a lot of XP, and the best way of getting XP is farming zombies. That's why you wouldn't want to hide from them deep underground, especially on Blood Moon nights.

I don't remember how many alphas ago it was, but I used to routinely dig down to bedrock early on. I'd have collected beer to keep my stamina up, and food wasn't as much of a luxury back then. I was able to turn off the heat map for torches, so I could have a nice, cozy little spot way down in the ground for my workbench, forges, etc. Turning off the heat map for torches doesn't seem as straightforward as it used to be. The only real problem I remember having was supply drops would fall through the ground to whatever depth I was at when it spawned. Like I said, I don't play on servers, just singleplayer or with a friend. If I am willing to risk dying of boredom digging a bunker, I'd just like to be concealed as I should be. If it's not possible, it's not possible. Right now the only thing I'm seeing as likely impossible is this game going to beta status.

1 hour ago, Ray_Garraty said:

It may be the best way but it isn't the only way. Digging is fine as an xp source and getting down to bedrock can be done in one night at any level.

25 minutes ago, RLBiscuit said:

I don't remember how many alphas ago it was, but I used to routinely dig down to bedrock early on. I'd have collected beer to keep my stamina up, and food wasn't as much of a luxury back then. I was able to turn off the heat map for torches, so I could have a nice, cozy little spot way down in the ground for my workbench, forges, etc. Turning off the heat map for torches doesn't seem as straightforward as it used to be. The only real problem I remember having was supply drops would fall through the ground to whatever depth I was at when it spawned. Like I said, I don't play on servers, just singleplayer or with a friend. If I am willing to risk dying of boredom digging a bunker, I'd just like to be concealed as I should be. If it's not possible, it's not possible. Right now the only thing I'm seeing as likely impossible is this game going to beta status.

What about my suggestion to turn down block damage for zombies? Why do you think this is not a possible way?

I'm not exactly sure how far down a player has to be to be considered as "hitting bedrock".   I do know that I am currently using My "lair"  located roughly 12 blocks down,  and have My crafting benches and forge there.  Its working fine,  but I do get zombies on horde Night,   but then again I do wait for them on Horde night to die  on My walls as I rain down "fiery justice from the hand of Gosh Almighty"  (thats me)  so I can get lots and lots of experience and those yummy Loot bags,  yellow and blue?  (why is a blue loot bag in the game now,  are they better? )   So,  I don't suppose I have ever taken the path of ,  hunkering down and hiding.  I enjoy giving those undead savages a taste of armageddon.  HooHah !!  😄

1 hour ago, PoppaSmirk said:

I'm not exactly sure how far down a player has to be to be considered as "hitting bedrock".

When you get down to an elevation of (I think) 3, you can't go any deeper.  The stone just makes a chiming sound when you hit it and doesn't take any damage.  That's bedrock. :)

14 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

When you get down to an elevation of (I think) 3, you can't go any deeper.  The stone just makes a chiming sound when you hit it and doesn't take any damage.  That's bedrock. :)

You would have to add the "3" here is elevation and the current elevation of a player can be seen in map view. @PoppaSmirk you are probably at an elevation somewhere around 38

Before zombies could dig I'd go all the way down to the indestructible level, then build a floor on it. I'd carve out rooms in the rock for my work stations, kitchen, storage area, bedroom with a gun safe in it for my preferred weapons. Back then I knew how to turn off the heat map for torches, so it was quite cozy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not playing a zombie game to avoid killing zombies, I just think that if I take the time to prep way down underground I should be unnoticed. Then, once preparations are complete, I'd emerge on my time and start cleaning up the undead. Heat maps shouldn't penetrate the ground so easily. Depth should be cover, even on horde nights, or should at least be an option.

On 12/17/2021 at 10:23 AM, Jeraal said:

We used to be able to. TFP didn't like people hiding and avoiding the hordes so they gave us digging zombies. Same with vehicles. Vultures get a speed boost I believe so you can't completely ignore the horde. 

no a bunch of whiny spoiled babies that are used to getting their way complained about something that didn taffect them one tiny little bit and no i dont wanna hear it from any moderators or TFP that it was for the better all it did was ruin the udnerground all together

5 hours ago, RLBiscuit said:

Before zombies could dig I'd go all the way down to the indestructible level, then build a floor on it. I'd carve out rooms in the rock for my work stations, kitchen, storage area, bedroom with a gun safe in it for my preferred weapons. Back then I knew how to turn off the heat map for torches, so it was quite cozy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not playing a zombie game to avoid killing zombies, I just think that if I take the time to prep way down underground I should be unnoticed. Then, once preparations are complete, I'd emerge on my time and start cleaning up the undead. Heat maps shouldn't penetrate the ground so easily. Depth should be cover, even on horde nights, or should at least be an option.

ummm why don't you just return to an older version.   At least for now, you have that option to play on A16 or A15 or whatever version had the mechanics you wanted.

On 12/17/2021 at 7:54 AM, RLBiscuit said:

This is my first post on this forum, so please forgive me as I'm sure it's been discussed.

To make this game the way I want to play it single player, I want to be able to spend the time to dig a bunker where I would realistically be safe from zombies, even on horde nights. If I'm underground, zombies should never know I am there, and they certainly shouldn't be able to tunnel so quickly with their bare hands. I'd like to be able to set up my single player game where I can make a safe zone for myself, and face the undead when I need to forage or follow quests. Torches underground, or inside a sealed area should not increase the heat map, and machinery that I build deep underground shouldn't either. If a vault door exists in the side of a hill, zombies should just walk right past it with no interest.

Again, this is just for the experience I'd like to have for my own single player game, or with a personal friend. If there are mods or whatever to make this concept work, I'd appreciate any suggestions, but it would be a lot easier if these kind of things were available in advanced options in the vanilla game.

Thanks

Turn off enemies for horde night, you can find it in the settings. It is by far the best workaround.

Edited by Tmodloader (see edit history)

6 hours ago, JoeDaFrogman said:

ummm why don't you just return to an older version.   At least for now, you have that option to play on A16 or A15 or whatever version had the mechanics you wanted.

Overall I like the improvements in the game since those versions, especially the addition of the vehicles. So far, reducing zombie block damage sounds like the best recommendation. Now that I think about it, if the zombie AI still digs straight down, at least generally, maybe I should just dig down to bedrock under a tall mountain.

For the record, I'm not trying to have a "zero danger" zombie game. Something about underground bunkers has always fascinated me from a young age, and if I lived in an area where the water table wasn't so close to the surface, I'd probably have one in my back yard. I'm jealous of those that can afford to buy decommissioned missile silos.

Sorry if that got a little off topic