Have we figured out what zombies are yet?

starscream

Madmole has mentioned the word alien without laughing a few times. The picture of the scientist is supposedly the guy who released the virus that started it all. Nuclear radiation has been credited with at least some causality.

I can rule out necromantic magic and demonic possession as well as Cthulu for you. Whatever reasoning you have for ruling out a virus due to partial skeletonization I would suggest you ease back on the science and just relax knowing that whatever gap exists between actual science and the 7 Days to Die zombies, there shall be either a Compound X, or Particle X, or Mutagen X easily provided to bridge that gap. :)

(pssst....It's Sham)

They don’t breathe. Necrotic gas builds up inside and expels in bursts once the pressure builds up. As it passes through their larynx it causes unintelligible sounds to emit. But there is no inhalation. Only oral farting.  So when they go underwater they aren’t inhaling water. 

16 hours ago, starscream said:

The aesthetics of the zombies with partially skeletonized bodies running around seem to rule out viral or fungal infection.

Google "flesh eating fungus" or "flesh eating bacteria" and get back to us on this idea. (Seriously DO NOT do that if you value your lunch.)

Personally I'm going with alien invasion which they tried to defeat by playing country music, but that just @%$#ed the aliens off and they released a fungus which killed most people, but due to radioactive mutations (caused by the alien ships) in The Duke's DNA the fungus only infected his brain giving him the power of necromancy, which he uses to raise the dead fungus victims to harass you, The Survivor.

I mean, it's the obvious explanation...

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)

4 hours ago, FA_Q2 said:

Why would infection be ruled out.  It is infection afaik, you can get infected.  

because infected people still need to be biologically alive in a functional body in order to run around. 7d2d designers have gone with the 'risen dead' aesthetic with the zombies looking like they are walking corpses rather than living people with an infection.

On 4/28/2021 at 7:26 AM, Roland said:

They don’t breathe. Necrotic gas builds up inside and expels in bursts once the pressure builds up. As it passes through their larynx it causes unintelligible sounds to emit. But there is no inhalation. Only oral farting.  So when they go underwater they aren’t inhaling water. 

Not the voices. I meant that their limbs are moving. Human muscles don't do that without oxygen.

If a zombie or vampire has no heartbeat and does not breathe then it won't be moving it's limbs any more.

The only way around that is to leave biology behind and go for necromantic magic

Well their limbs not only move. They also pulverize reinforced concrete. So perhaps there is something that compensates for the lack of oxygen and hardens and increases the density of the muscles so that they can move and also destroy regardless of their non-breathing.

Something like Compound X....

Or maybe the body is just food for the parasite that is controlling the meat suit.  Would explain the decay and the resistance to otherwise deadly force used against them.  And given enough time maybe they will all look like variations of the feral wight?

I don't think I'm 100% up on the game lore for the zombies but I've always wondered how so many people became zombies if all it takes is honey and the occasional antibiotic. To me the zombies combined with the AI kind of gives the impression that the virus is an alien hive mind/colony sort of creature.

20 hours ago, starscream said:

because infected people still need to be biologically alive in a functional body in order to run around. 7d2d designers have gone with the 'risen dead' aesthetic with the zombies looking like they are walking corpses rather than living people with an infection.

Not in general zombie lore.  Sure that may be how it functions as far as we know but zombies also do not exist.  Infection is certainly more plausible than necromantic magic if we are going to insist on details😛

I've always felt it was a combination of an original plague + a radiation mutation as the result of bombs dropped upon the original plague.

The alien spore theory was coined by Romero, and touted by quite a few since.  I mean.. its neat and all, but I prefer leaving it unexplained.

On 4/29/2021 at 6:45 AM, Maharin said:

Or maybe the body is just food for the parasite that is controlling the meat suit.

And that parasite produces oxygen as it is consuming the flesh. Enough to keep muscles infused and responding to nerve impulses.

4 hours ago, Boidster said:

And that parasite produces oxygen as it is consuming the flesh. Enough to keep muscles infused and responding to nerve impulses.

and then after a week, there wouldn't be any zombies left.

On 4/29/2021 at 2:14 PM, FA_Q2 said:

Not in general zombie lore.  Sure that may be how it functions as far as we know but zombies also do not exist.  Infection is certainly more plausible than necromantic magic if we are going to insist on details😛

i'm referring specifically to the aesthetic of the zombies. it can be anything, but the aesthetic rules out some things. if they were going with a parasite or a 28 days later rabies -like infected, the zombie design would look different.