KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

@Tallman Brad 

"Kinggen still does the nicest map preview doesn't it!

Point kinggen at your DTM.raw or png for the heightmap, and your biomes.png and splat3 for roads". . . . etc. . .

Well said, Brad!  If it weren't for the new tile system - I'd still be using KingGen.  Anyway - a big "Thank You" for the note above: your ideas and innovations tied in with your very appropriate and professional videos are as valuable as the actual addons that we all use.
I use MapToolz along with the mappreview command, but that vertical relief has been sorely missed. I played around with the tree/vegetation density a couple o'months back, and finding the way home in the darkness has added a new reality, as the mountains and high hills are now very much hidden until one is on them.

Happy Holidays!

Edited by paulj_3 (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Tallman Brad said:

I didn't want to start a new thread in case Pille wanted to. Shared th video in my own thread but I have no idea if anyone actually looks at that.

Saw it.  Yes, Pille should be The One :).  

10 hours ago, Tallman Brad said:

I didn't want to start a new thread in case Pille wanted to. Shared th video in my own thread but I have no idea if anyone actually looks at that.

Brad, you should start a new thread since you've been doing so much to promote Teragon and keeping us up to date. You deserve it; with Pille's permission of course. Plus, you'll be making the YouTube tutorials so, no more reasons needed.

All this social media crap is a waste of life time and that's why I'm striving to drastically reduce my online presence and activities. Apart from that, Teragon's main purpose is not to generate worlds for 7 Days To Die. The fact that it can do that is rather due to a misjudgment on my part. I underestimated the effort needed to make it compatible with the game. If I had had today's knowledge at the beginning of the development, I would not have tried this again.

But here we are. So much time has already gone into the project. Most of the work to make it compatible is behind me, so it seems reasonable to go the rest of the way (means bugfixing and better mod support) but that's probably another misjudgment. Anyway, no one needs my permission to open a thread here. I myself just don't see any reason for it.

Edited by Pille (see edit history)

@PilleAfter watching the videos about Teragon (I'm planning to try it out tonight), there was one thing I noticed and wanted to ask about.  I see that the dithering effect between biomes is only possible when using environmental biomes.  I understand how it works by having an overlap area of height, which makes sense.  I was wondering about an eventual possibility of having it available also when not using environmental biomes?  The reason being that I love the effect it creates, but I'm not sure if I'll like the environmental biomes.  Having, for example, snow on mountain tops is realistic and looks great, but I don't really want to do snow biome questing on a mountain top.  The same for other biomes that might need to be placed higher.  I love the idea, but just not sure I'll like it when playing.  I may be wrong and after trying out a map made with Teragon, I may decide I like that, but chances are I will prefer not using environmental biomes but would still like that dithering effect.

Not wanting to make a 'Teragon Discussion' thread myself, I've started a thread just for the tutorials. It's not intended to be a place to discuss the use of the software, bug reports or features you'd like to see. It's purely somewhere to find the tutorials I've personally put together.

4 hours ago, Tallman Brad said:

Not wanting to make a 'Teragon Discussion' thread myself

I can understand Pille's desire not to maintain a presence on the boards. Still, I think we should make a Teragon discussion if for no other reason than it might let people find others using it. How about a "Teragon Users Group" discussion?

On 1/15/2023 at 11:42 PM, zztong said:

I can understand Pille's desire not to maintain a presence on the boards. Still, I think we should make a Teragon discussion if for no other reason than it might let people find others using it. How about a "Teragon Users Group" discussion?

This is definitely a good idea, otherwise TMB's tutorial thread will quickly be overrun with mapping questions and requests and feature suggestions rather than feedback on his incredibly useful videos (watched the first three on my commute this morning).

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, smithsguild said:

Does Kinggen offer an option to allow for multiple players to spawn near each other on game start like nitrogen was supposed to?

KingGen is not compatible with the latest Alpha, and is, for the time being, not being worked on.  If you are using A19 and KingGen, there is a setting you can set to create one spawn point.  Otherwise, you can open the spawnpoints.xml file and remove unwanted spawn points, or edit the coordinates so they are closer together.

• 1 month later...

KingSlayerGM;Cpt Krunch

I have been working on an A20 POI list for Nitrogen, looking at the format, you should be able to convert it with excel.

I have tested multiple iterations, edited out the failed pois. using f1 from login to gen into world there are no errors. If you

would like i can upload the list maybe it will help. I hand paint or photoshop paint my own terrains for the import_hm.png

It work well with them they average from 4500 to 7500 pois. a copy for use will be posted later, there are two more things i

need to add, contiguous terrain cluster links, and nostalgic inclusions.    let me know if you would like the list.

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Bugfinder said:

Is there a way to include "Mining Mod With Copper, Zinc & Excavators" into the worldgenerator? :)
We love this mod, but i cant see some way to include mods for generator.

https://7daystodiemods.com/mining-mod-with-copper-zinc-and-excavators/

KingGen stopped with A19. Do you desire a game running an A19 version?

I don't know that modlet, but I suspect if you put the A20 version of that modlet into your Mods folder and then used the game's world generator you might get a world with those deposits. That's my guess based on the documentation you linked.

• 2 months later...
On 1/12/2023 at 7:15 AM, Pille said:

All this social media crap is a waste of life time and that's why I'm striving to drastically reduce my online presence and activities.

I acknowledge your viewpoint on online engagement, but you should not undervalue your intelligence regarding TERAGON. Through the video I stumbled upon in this thread, I have come to appreciate the immense creativity that can be achieved with it. Thank you for sharing your time and work with us.

8 minutes ago, Dakkon69 said:

Wish there was an update for KingGen, Teragon doesn't create maps like KingGen or NitroGen, and no traders are a deal breaker as well.

Give it time. A21 just went Stable a few minutes ago. Teragon does a great job of creating maps if you're prepared to put a little time into playing with the customisation options. Even default settings were very good in a20 Teragon. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2023 at 2:10 PM, Dakkon69 said:

Wish there was an update for KingGen, Teragon doesn't create maps like KingGen or NitroGen, and no traders are a deal breaker as well.

Ive just finished an A21 Vanilla list for this, and Im putting the finishing touches for the POI Expension Pack which we are releasing today.  These will be available on my Nexus account for download, and *somewhat* supported on Discord, but its really just for people who still want it. We very rarely use KG for an end-to-end map creation, nowadays its more for modifying/editing maps and some of the other tools for custom stuff. People who know what it does/doesnt do that find it useful are welcome to use it. Pound for pound, Teragon makes much better maps, and is still evolving. 

I will note though for KG fans, the results you get now from KG on any of the maps we included for generation with it are very good for an interesting reason. As POIs have moved to work better with tiles, sizes for everything have become more uniform, resulting in much better towns and cities, though road width and grid density need to be modified. 

I will be posting PEP and these KG lists this week on Nexus. If people are using them, I might do lists for a few overhauls like Sorcery and Ravenhearst if the interest is there.