Jump to content

KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die


KingSlayerGM

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Cpt Krunch said:

You trade parts for masking ability. I will take masking over parts. Also some parts can be genned in a few different ways, biome or as prefabs. I still use other pieces of King Gen for things like biome and terrain previews and the tools, also good for ocd checks on full sets of prefabs. It will do till Pille is done, I will have a list for people to play around with in a few days.

 

What is masking?

 

I'd be curious to know about other ways Parts get placed. Currently, I'm only aware of RWG placing them.

 

Trading away Parts may be trading away loot. One technique to get loot to spawn in different locations is to use Parts. I know of one CP POI that randomizes entire floors using Parts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/4/2022 at 6:33 PM, zztong said:

 

What is masking?

 

I'd be curious to know about other ways Parts get placed. Currently, I'm only aware of RWG placing them.

 

Trading away Parts may be trading away loot. One technique to get loot to spawn in different locations is to use Parts. I know of one CP POI that randomizes entire floors using Parts.


Nitrogen had a very basic masking system, which King and I expanded on with additional layers of extended masking options. In the nitrogen mask, opaque blue is used to block anything at all from spawning, good for maintaining natural water and coasts, so that nitro wouldn't make a giant mess with roads and circle stamps for buildings.

Yellow is neutral (invisible to editor), then, a single green pixel would give you a town, red a city, you set the sizes in editor and generate. No real control, but way better than ad-hoc, and it allowed you to plan areas.


mask_bak.png.0813d6b5101da813d938115f1789df2b.png

Maskriver.thumb.png.5e37206f307d73625497f0caf6e48ae3.png

2022-08-05_19h17_24.png.eca412bd0b839886631822c012cf5b4e.png

With King Gen, there are 2 masking layers and also a custom water map layer (though this is not as important now that maps will run natively with splat4)

In KG, we used color red to block all spawning. One mask lets you place town/villages/cities, then the 2nd mask allows you chose the zones within those towns and cities, so like downtown/commercial/old or new houses etc.


For your average player, yeah no parts or tiles is not going to be something you want in a generator. But if you know how to use the mask and make the entries for a20, its definitely still a viable way to make custom maps, specially with Compo type sets.

Teragon will likely be the ring to rule them all, though and maps like these are still fun but they come and go unless you spend a lot of time regardless. Im also not sure how much performance is being killed by tiles, this will answer the question for me I hope.


2022-08-05_23h22_29.png.561c5ae637f80f127a163368ce20f53c.png




 

Edited by Cpt Krunch (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Cpt Krunch said:

But if you know how to use the mask and make the entries for a20, its definitely still a viable way to make custom maps

 

I see. That looks pretty handy. Thanks for sharing.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok thank you very much. I have another question. With it being discontinued , does that mean dont bother downloading? Or it works and can be used temporarily just no more updates?

 

Also thank you for your reply. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2022 at 5:40 PM, Rotor said:

KinGen is discontinued due to developer bz.  @Pille is building TERAGon (emphasis for Pille :)).  Currently about 55% progress in development.  Soon!

 

I'm at an estimated 70% if 100% refers to the release state and not the long-term goal. Spawning of wilderness POIs and the tag system will probably be finished very soon, and then only the road network and documentation is left (although it might be fun to offer no docs or help at all). 😁

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Pille said:

 

I'm at an estimated 70% if 100% refers to the release state and not the long-term goal. Spawning of wilderness POIs and the tag system will probably be finished very soon, and then only the road network and documentation is left (although it might be fun to offer no docs or help at all). 😁

Why are you leaving the hardest part (roads) for last? 😃

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Because it corresponds to some extent to the logical order. The road network depends on many of the other systems. So I had to first create the prerequisites for that (have been taming my ocd). Plus, it's a lot of attention to detail, which bores me.^^

Edited by Pille (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pille said:

Because it corresponds to some extent to the logical order. The road network depends on many of the other systems. So I had to first create the prerequisites for that (have been taming my ocd). Plus, it's a lot of attention to detail, which bores me.^^

 

OCDish bored with details.  No conflict there :).  Stay on the meds :).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/8/2022 at 6:02 AM, Woestwatje said:

Everytime I generate a map, I get POI's too close to each other which causes them to not fully load, as you can see here, a wall is fully missing from this house. This is using default settings and vanilla POI's. This gets even worse when I change some settings, for instance a lot of towns/villages. Is there a setting I have to change?

image.png

should probably bring this up because people don't seem to understand. You have to make a new POI list using the alpha 20 POI folder otherwise the generator will generate things based off of Alpha 19 information. create this and then load it every time you want to make a map.

 

I should probably note there are some issues with this method:

 

The first and biggest issue is the generator still uses Alpha 19 paremeters so you'll get some weirdness still but overall you won't have buildings overlapping. You MAY however see a ghost house from time to time.

 

the second issue is the map generation will ignore some POI's even though they are on the list.  Notably, things like caves and the Higashi Pharmaceuticals building will never get generated on these maps. You will have to go in and hand place these with the world editor if you want them in your generated map.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

heya coming back after a while and wanting to make a custom world. im trying to use kinggen with compopack but things seemed to have changed. i followed the tutorial video to install compopack but when i use kinggen i get this error: 

 

Generating heightmap.
Generating biomes.
Generating cities.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "crash_log.py", line 19, in handle_crash_log
  File "gui_generation.py", line 27, in generate
  File "ntime.py", line 11, in ntime
  File "world.py", line 1301, in run
  File "world.py", line 265, in generate
  File "world.py", line 542, in init_cities
  File "world.py", line 642, in gen_cities
  File "hub_factory.py", line 25, in gen_random_city
  File "hub_factory.py", line 59, in gen_random_hub
  File "city.py", line 46, in __init__
  File "city.py", line 61, in generate
  File "city.py", line 274, in populate_grid
  File "city.py", line 246, in try_place
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'rotate_to_face'

 

i am trying to run a20.6 any help is appreciated 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, crimson_binome said:

i am trying to run a20.6 any help is appreciated 

 

KingGen isn't supported anymore. It never crossed over from A19 to A20, so it doesn't know how to deal with new A20 RWG features. There are a few people who still use it after having made new configuration files, but they use it for specific purposes. If you really want to use KingGen with an A20 version of CP then you're going to have to get much more familiar with KingGen's configuration files and pull data out of each of CP's POIs. And then, once you get it to go, you'll be missing things like A20 Tiles and Parts.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/17/2022 at 9:07 PM, zztong said:

 

KingGen isn't supported anymore. It never crossed over from A19 to A20, so it doesn't know how to deal with new A20 RWG features. There are a few people who still use it after having made new configuration files, but they use it for specific purposes. If you really want to use KingGen with an A20 version of CP then you're going to have to get much more familiar with KingGen's configuration files and pull data out of each of CP's POIs. And then, once you get it to go, you'll be missing things like A20 Tiles and Parts.

thanks for the reply.  i see someone is working on a alternative to kinggen. so someday perhaps!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, unfortunately. It's still a very useful piece of software for mapmakers to preview heightmaps. But sadly not much use for making complete maps to play on now.

It'll not be long before Teragon goes public however. Just a few more adjustments to make and It'll be ready for its first release, according to Pille the developer. I wish him the best of luck with that as do a lot of us I'm sure.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Tallman Brad said:

Yes, unfortunately. It's still a very useful piece of software for mapmakers to preview heightmaps. But sadly not much use for making complete maps to play on now.

It'll not be long before Teragon goes public however. Just a few more adjustments to make and It'll be ready for its first release, according to Pille the developer. I wish him the best of luck with that as do a lot of us I'm sure.

Yeah shame, I checked my UK map 16k A19 still worked on A20 no issued.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I checked KingGen with fixed POI list worked fine on A20 without red error messages but all roads was broken just gaps all + + + roads by building, I think broken on A20.

My old A19 UK map all fine no gap roads by city & town but red error message some POIs was missing.

 

 

7DtD 4.jpg

Edited by Wolves Hero (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...