How does XP Debt work?

SxR

How does XP Debt work..?

If for example, each level costs 1000 XP, and I am level 100 and die.. will I go down to level 90, and I'll need to pay off 10 levels worth of XP debt (10,000) before I can start leveling back up to 91, and so on?

Thanks.

I also don't believe you go down in level at all. You just freeze at your current level until you make up the deficit and then earn all the xp needed to go on to the next level. So in your example of being level 100, if you died, you would not go down to level 90 but still be level 100 but have a deficit of 100xp that you would have to earn before any xp counted towards getting to level 101.

As death penalties go this one is pretty pathetic. Maybe if we kept all our debuffs and food and water levels it would have a bit of bite to it but as it stands currently this thing is all gums without even any dentures to fill in...

42 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

No. You only lose 10% of the XP of the current level. In your example it would be 100XP that you have to earn.

is that true? I though that too but whenever I die it looks like +25% of the xp bar is getting red. after a second dead it's +50% filled. Why is that if it's just 10%? Or are they just showing you can only die 4 times in a row to lose exp after the fourth dead you won't lose more cause the bar is filled?

25 minutes ago, Diragor said:

is that true? I though that too but whenever I die it looks like +25% of the xp bar is getting red. after a second dead it's +50% filled. Why is that if it's just 10%? Or are they just showing you can only die 4 times in a row to lose exp after the fourth dead you won't lose more cause the bar is filled?

As far as I know there is also a higher death penalty if you eat glass but default is 10%. The penalty for eating glass is 25% since A18.1

12 minutes ago, SxR said:

Hey thank you Ripclaw. Okay.. so what if I died 15 times?

Would I be in debt to.. 1000 XP, given that is the need per level in my example..

Or would I be in debt to 1500 XP?

The penalty is capped. I am not sure if the limit is 100% of a level or 50%. In any case, you can never lose more XP than for a complete level. In your example it would either be 10000 XP or 5000 XP.

Late game this can be a lot of XP since the amount of XP needed to reach the next level increases.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

As death penalties go this one is pretty pathetic. Maybe if we kept all our debuffs and food and water levels it would have a bit of bite to it but as it stands currently this thing is all gums without even any dentures to fill in...

Keeping really all debuffs could easily send you into a death loop. This would have to be reduced to the debuffs that affect you but not so much that you are dead again 5 minutes later.

I once suggested keeping a broken leg on death but MadMole said that a broken leg is one of those things that can send you into a death loop.

Food and drink should be capped at a minimum of at least 30% on respawn. This gives the player a little time to find food and water before the stage 2 debuff kicks in.

2 hours ago, Roland said:

I also don't believe you go down in level at all. You just freeze at your current level until you make up the deficit and then earn all the xp needed to go on to the next level. So in your example of being level 100, if you died, you would not go down to level 90 but still be level 100 but have a deficit of 100xp that you would have to earn before any xp counted towards getting to level 101.

There are settings which one can enable which can make dying a lot bigger deal. For example, "delete all equipment upon death" makes dying, usually, a lot bigger deal. Depending on other settings one uses. Losing a Q6 fully modded weapon or armor can be a pretty big deal and also removes the problem of "pffft another Q6 gun, throw it into the closet with the others" in later gamestages, as all the sudden you *might* need it, even if you already have one. 

20 minutes ago, Diragor said:

Well I need to say I only ate glas once and that was an accident :D and on the ps4 version xD

I have never eaten glass on purpose and fortunately also never accidentally. I am very cautious about that.

Supposedly there are players who committed suicide as a fast travel method or to heal a broken leg. I can't really understand that because I try to avoid death.

Normally I don't die a lot in the game. In the current playthrough I have died once because I got careless and picked a fight with a direwolf in the first week.

We still play with drop all, but still keep at least a second equipment stored. Even if you backpack drops, it might be hard to get there again without any equipment. And we've learned from a lots of "backpack vanished" bugs. Basically we have chests full of armor, weapons, tools, mods... we just sort out the worst items or that one we have the most of, when the chest are full and carry that to the trader.

I also had players, especially in early game, that preferred dying if they are low on food. Drop-all-on-death doesn't solve that, because then they simply empty their inventory and die intendedly.

Also i usually die more often in early game and there it is pretty anoying if drop-all is enabled. Currently day 80, 6 deaths, and iirc 4 of them in the first two weeks. Last one was like on day 30...

6 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Food and drink should be capped at a minimum of at least 30% on respawn. This gives the player a little time to find food and water before the stage 2 debuff kicks in.

During the early stages of the game my group was always struggling to find food.  We were always just barely above starving to death and were basically living off whatever cans we could find in houses.  Whenever we died we would always say, "Well at least we aren't hungry anymore."  Having the food and drink capped at 30% would have sucked but I would have preferred it that way, or even if you kept your food and drink levels that you died at.  That way food feels a little more important even after death.

5 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Supposedly there are players who committed suicide as a fast travel method or to heal a broken leg. I can't really understand that because I try to avoid death.

This reminded me of playing DayZ back in the day with some friends.  If we got infected or broke a leg we would just hide out somewhere and have a friend shoot us in the face.  That way we could respawn fully healed and just run back for our stuff lol. 

In 7 Days we play with only dropping the backpack on death currently because we found having to run back with nothing usually resulted in a death loop.  We thought about saying screw it and dropping nothing on death but then we realized we would definitely use death as a fast travel method to get back to the base quickly.  Head off on a trader run and when we are finished just pick up the vehicle and kill yourself.  Then you respawn back at base with everything safely in your bags.  We have the zombie spawns turned way up so that 10% xp debt from dying isn't much of a problem at all to repay.  

6 hours ago, RipClaw said:

I have never eaten glass on purpose

In game I did once, it was how I learned that a character dying makes a @%$# ton of noise. A18, first time co-oping with my wife, first night of the map, infection, starving, less that a quarter health. The old wreak of a house (old style player spawn point remnant) we were hiding in was surrounded and when my character kicked over from hungry to starving the noise drew one in and it began bashing its way through the blockade we'd put on the stair way. Thinking it would drop aggro, and with me basically dead anyway I ate a piece after setting down my bedroll. The death rattle drew in the rest and they killed her character and re-killed me...

7 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Normally I don't die a lot in the game. In the current playthrough I have died once because I got careless and picked a fight with a direwolf in the first week.

7 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

I also had players, especially in early game, that preferred dying if they are low on food. Drop-all-on-death doesn't solve that, because then they simply empty their inventory and die intendedly.

We have a player in our group that is pretty notorious about this. The death penalties simply aren't enough to deter them from killing themselves over pretty much everything, they even kill themselves over stuff like 1% infections. Even at the higher levels making up the xp is faster, to them, than suffering debuffs or really being inconvenienced at all. This same player definitely didn't play like that under the old death system. 🤣

Soooo....

The cons of dying is a progression debt in the form of XP and a host selectable 'backpack/toolbelt drop/deletion'.
The pros of dying is... resets all critical wounds, infections, and hunger/hydration. And possibly a fast travel mechanism.

Progression debt is in relation to XP progression rate, which is why at higher levels it's easier to recover the lost XP. Since the game seems to be nonlinear growth as you progress (this is probably good). But since it's a flat rate it doesn't match up to XP rate and becomes less of a penalty. Maybe tie the percentage to gamestage, so the higher a player progresses the less times a player needs to die to hit the 100% debt cap? That way late-game players are more concerned with death than in the early game.

The status resets are little more tricky for me, since it can easily be abused but at the same time can easily spiral in frustration to player. Maybe reset but have a 'Respawn Fatigue' effect that caps the max Food/Water (but not additive) so it's more effective on players that play well but less frustrating for struggling players. You could also tie in a critical wound vulnerability to it.... but that might be overkill since wounds since to stack up very fast already.

And I wouldn't mind seeing an option that allows for decay on death (basically reduces durability by an amount) for the backpack and toolbelt. That way it can be used in combination with the "drop on death" feature for either a really hard experience, or give a cost to players wishing for the 'Fast Travel' way.

When you die, you get a 25% xp debt of your current level. From Lv 60+ the xp to level up caps at about 168,000. So dying at 60+ means you have to earn 42,000 xp before you start earning regular xp again. 
If you died and needed 10,000 xp to level up, once your debt is cleared, you'll be back to earning the last 10,000 xp to level up.
If you die again while in debt, the debt will grow another 25%, it maxes at 100%.

some people say 10%

17 hours ago, FranticDan said:

When you die, you get a 25% xp debt of your current level. From Lv 60+ the xp to level up caps at about 168,000. So dying at 60+ means you have to earn 42,000 xp before you start earning regular xp again. 
If you died and needed 10,000 xp to level up, once your debt is cleared, you'll be back to earning the last 10,000 xp to level up.
If you die again while in debt, the debt will grow another 25%, it maxes at 100%.

you're saying 25% (I also think so)

the game says 10% at the debuff info but shows 25% at the xp bar (red bar is 25% filled after a single death no matter how you die.

confusion

Archived