What happens when durability falls to zero?

Morloc

Aye, at zero durability, under the Extended Character Stats tab, the armor is still adding it's armor rating and bonuses from mods.

Take the armor off, the armor rating goes down, put the armor back on, it goes right back up.

-Morloc

I guess another way of phrasing this is....is there any reason to repair armor (unless you're about to sell it) given that there doesn't appear to be any downside to armor with 0 durability (i.e. damaged until the durability bar is all black)?

I suppose it's possible that the AC isn't being added once the armor is worn out, but that's not what the stats tab is showing. I have pocket mods in the armor and my encumbrance doesn't change when the armor is broken either. Can anyone confirm that their armor stops working once it's at 0 durability? (Thanks)

-Morloc

Can't answer your question Morloc as I'm not playing exp19 yet. Certainly doesn't make sense though. Zero durability armor shouldn't offer any protection, imo.

Will say I'd prefer that if a player let something degrade all the way to zero that there'd be say a 1 in 3 chance it would be destroyed.

Looks like it's possible to have things be destroyed everytime they hit zero, but not, currently, a modifier for x% chance to be destroyed.

To your point; looking at the xml nothing jumps out at me on how a low or 0 durability piece of armor should behave. So guessing that bit of logic hasn't been exposed to the xml yet.

The durability for armor is broken, I believe since A17.

If I remember correctly, in A16 and bellow, the durability of the clothing also affected how efficient the clothes were. Like the durability of a tool used to affect it's stats.

With the new mods updates in A17 however, and the new durability system, things changed. The durability of an item doesn't affect how efficient that item is anymore.

All the clothes and armor do not have durability anymore.

That bar for armor is from tiers and doesn't serve any other purpose. Now its just a leftover from the old system. 

I believe FunPimps weren't intending to make armor have no durability. But with the new system implied, they've forgot to adjust the armor. 

1 hour ago, Black Hat said:

in A16 and bellow, the durability of the clothing also affected how efficient the clothes were.

Aye, I recall. I had presumed this was still happening and have been wasting repair kits for some time now under that assumption ;)

Thanks,

-Morloc

I would guess this isn't as intended since weapons refuse to work when durability is 0. My bet is that they simply forgot to add relevant code.

If it is intentional it probably is because armor is easily forgotten and (until recently?) couldn't be repaired while worn

So I am trying to test this in a new A19 game, but something very weird is going on with armor durability. I grabbed a quality 2 leather chest from creative and let a bunch of Arlenes wail away on me (not in God mode, but with the +20000HP dev shirt on). The armor quickly went to 50% durability and then just...stayed there. I let them beat the crap out of me for 10 minutes and it did not budge.

So I switched to bikers and the armor dropped to 25% and stayed there. Tried more bikers, some Boes, and a few football players. Tried removing the armor and putting it back on. Moved 500m away. Changed the date/time. Stuck at 25% no matter how much damage I take (well over 15,000 HP by this point).

If I can ever get it to 0 durability, I'll compare the damage from a single Arlne with what I got naked (8) and with the full-durability chest piece (7).

Interesting. Those distinct levels are definately new compared to earlier alphas. Wonder if they're working on something new? Maybe different ways/mats to repair?

3 hours ago, Boidster said:

I'll compare the damage from a single Arlne with what I got naked

... :shocked: ... ok.. you do you buddy.. (:classic_laugh:)

3 hours ago, Boidster said:

If I can ever get it to 0 durability, I'll compare the damage from a single Arlne with what I got naked (8) and with the full-durability chest piece (7).

Overall an interesting test, but do try a heavier hitter and/or stronger armor. If the damage difference is only one point, you can't be sure if you lose 99% of armor efficiency and still get 1 point from a rounding error.. err, feature :)

11 hours ago, Morloc said:

Aye, I recall. I had presumed this was still happening and have been wasting repair kits for some time now under that assumption ;)

Thanks,

-Morloc

Still worth repairing if you plan to sell it though.

49 minutes ago, FileMachete said:

... :shocked: ... ok.. you do you buddy.. (:classic_laugh:)

DON'T YOU JUDGE ME!

Right now I'm letting the football team tag-team me.

image.png.de4a9c599606dbe5d0fe429fe4cee9b7.png

Update: 3 minutes of hard pounding and still the armor will not degrade below 25%.

image.png.828ab58f3a71d4416c693935b3eaea04.png

Suddenly they all started to do the robot...

image.png.004eeaebf7f64f94b2e410df80e6ac54.png

So the game definitely has some weird limit for armor damage. Maybe per hour or partial day? Haven't figured it out yet, but I put on new steel armor and let them thrash me and it went down about 10-20% and then no more. I switched out to Q1 leather and it took zero damage from additional heavy Feralplay.

I'm going to let a few hours pass and try again.

FINALLY! I got the one of my creative-mode Q1 leather chestplates to reduce to 0 durability. And in spite of the armor rating showing 6, the wight started doing 15 points of damage instead of 14. I tested many, many, many hits and the numbers were consistent: 15 if not wearing armor, 14 when wearing non-degraded leather chest.

So I think you do lose the armor benefit of broken items, it's just that the character display doesn't show it.

I did try adding a Banded Plate armor mod in there and still the damage was 15, but that may be a case where the +2 just isn't enough to change the damage down to 14.

1 hour ago, Boidster said:

And in spite of the armor rating showing 6, the wight started doing 15 points of damage instead of 14. I tested many, many, many hits and the numbers were consistent: 15 if not wearing armor, 14 when wearing non-degraded leather chest.

So I think you do lose the armor benefit of broken items, it's just that the character display doesn't show it.

I did try adding a Banded Plate armor mod in there and still the damage was 15, but that may be a case where the +2 just isn't enough to change the damage down to 14.

Very interesting (thanks for doing that groundwork). Pockets and headlamps clearly do function with the broken armor. Now I wondering about the water filter and bandoleer.

-Morloc

Archived