Announcement: A18.3 b3 Experimental Languages

Hated

I am currently using 1280x720 which I use for all my games. I'm not sure how much lower I can go but the lower I go the crappier it looks lol

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh okay makes sense. I get this with a lot of mods. But, I do realize games change with the times and computers need to change as well. I don't have options to get anything better at the moment so I just make the best with what I got! Thanks Haidr :)

Just a quick experiment for those who might want to know. These are the resolutions I have and frames I get. My display is a 16:9 though so the lowest I have for 16:9 is 1280x720.

Other res's

640x480 = 70 fps

800x600 = 53-60 fps

1024x768 = 38-45 fps

and 1152x864 = 30-35 fps

Now this was all standing outside on the roof of my base just looking out at terrain in the distance with trees and stuff. The issue I have though is black bars on the outside left and right hand side because they are all 4:3 resolutions so they don't fit the screen. Hence why I play it at the aforementioned 1280x720 :) So in the end, I guess I'll have to settle with the 20-30 fps I get most of the time and just enjoy the game as much as I can. Thank you all for your responses!

I am currently using 1280x720 which I use for all my games. I'm not sure how much lower I can go but the lower I go the crappier it looks lol

That is low.

I just wanted to make sure you were not playing at 1440p or 4k. There are people out there using higher screen res than what their GPU can handle and then wonder why their FPS is so low.

640x480 = 70 fps

...reeeeaaallllyyyy??? Wow it's been a long time i've heard someone tell about this formerly called "resolution"

Is this your rig?

:smile-new:

...well sorry for that.

But 'til now I thought my rig was old: 2011 CPU (i52500K), 2015 GPU (R9 390),

and I'm getting ~70fps at 1920x1024 with custom mid settings. (well "gfx af 0" helps a lot to keep it up there)

So I'm really wondering what platform u're using.

No discrete graphics card?

...reeeeaaallllyyyy??? Wow it's been a long time i've heard someone tell about this formerly called "resolution"

Is this your rig?

:smile-new:

...well sorry for that.

But 'til now I thought my rig was old: 2011 CPU (i52500K), 2015 GPU (R9 390),

and I'm getting ~70fps at 1920x1024 with custom mid settings. (well "gfx af 0" helps a lot to keep it up there)

So I'm really wondering what platform u're using.

No discrete graphics card?

Well, I have an Inspiron 7746 with an Intel Core i7-5500U CPU @2.4 GHz that has 4 threads (2 virtual 2 logical), I have 16 GB of ram, I have 2 intergrated graphics cards. 1 is the intel HD graphics 5500, and the other is a GForce 845M (render-only) and I'm running windows 10 64bit. Oh and its a laptop :p Idk what to do with it tbh, all my other games play pretty good with low to medium settings so I'm not sure what settings to use that would make it better.

Well, I have an Inspiron 7746 with an Intel Core i7-5500U CPU @2.4 GHz that has 4 threads (2 virtual 2 logical), I have 16 GB of ram, I have 2 intergrated graphics cards. 1 is the intel HD graphics 5500, and the other is a GForce 845M (render-only) and I'm running windows 10 64bit. Oh and its a laptop :p Idk what to do with it tbh, all my other games play pretty good with low to medium settings so I'm not sure what settings to use that would make it better.

I would suggest and it be a pain staking suggestion bit try different settings to see the outcome. Like change 1 thing test etc etc. Will take ages tho but good luck

In that case you need to listen harder. resolution is a definate thing in this game (and a few others). I can fiddle with settings but the most impact comes down to lowering resolution. It's been mentioned many times for a long time but has been ignored...

I can play tjis game on high settings and very low resolution. And if I want higher resolution than 12xx * 7xx then I need to set all settings at lowest.

Just a quick experiment for those who might want to know. These are the resolutions I have and frames I get. My display is a 16:9 though so the lowest I have for 16:9 is 1280x720.

Other res's

640x480 = 70 fps

800x600 = 53-60 fps

1024x768 = 38-45 fps

and 1152x864 = 30-35 fps

Now this was all standing outside on the roof of my base just looking out at terrain in the distance with trees and stuff. The issue I have though is black bars on the outside left and right hand side because they are all 4:3 resolutions so they don't fit the screen. Hence why I play it at the aforementioned 1280x720 :) So in the end, I guess I'll have to settle with the 20-30 fps I get most of the time and just enjoy the game as much as I can. Thank you all for your responses!

All this information is of no help without knowing your hardware and what you have the in game settings set to as well as the profile setting you have for your graphics card. :-/

one thing I do notice is if I play Darkness Falls, it seems to give me higher framerate which, I have no idea why.

Other people (forget who) already mentioned this, but Darkness Falls re-enables the legacy distant terrain. This doesn't look so great on better computers, but it might be what you need with your laptop.

It's done through a modlet made by SphereII, so you don't have to download the entire Darkness Falls overhaul if you don't want to.

But, it does require compilation and running with DMT, which changes the game's binaries so is not EAC friendly. It's also not trivial to compile it yourself.

Instead, I recommend using the Mod Launcher, and installing it through that tool:

http://7d2dmodlauncher.org

Instructions about managing modlets:

http://7d2dmodlauncher.org/ManagingModlets.html

Here's the actual modlet by SphereII on GitHub if you're curious about the source code:

https://github.com/SphereII/SphereII.Mods/tree/master/SphereII%20Legacy%20Distant%20Terrain

If nothing else works, maybe you could give that a shot.

In that case you need to listen harder. resolution is a definate thing in this game (and a few others). I can fiddle with settings but the most impact comes down to lowering resolution. It's been mentioned many times for a long time but has been ignored...

I can play tjis game on high settings and very low resolution. And if I want higher resolution than 12xx * 7xx then I need to set all settings at lowest.

You have misread what I meant.

640x480 is not a screen resolution. It was once...and then they invented the wheel and all that cool stuff. :smile-new:

Or to be clear: I couldn't imagine that anybody would consider using 640x480 nowerdays, so I spoke about it as a "formerly called resolution"

Really no offense meant.

Of course I know resolution has the most performance impact, but 640x480...I don't ihink so. I guess I would declare it as "completely umplayable" rather than going so low.

Well I will try it out today to get a feeling what you guys go through.

New Game

New Map

Single Player

RWG

Dynamite

Xalawo Territory - Survival

705 N 537 E

Video Evidence..

Issue is a POI that has flickering textures and walls that clearly are not there. I have come across this before and a reloading the current game seems to rectify this issue. Just a pain that it happens in the first place though. :p

Nope, the font change was required to make the game translatable into non English languages.

I think they mentioned having different font for different languages in the future, but that's a right before gold thing, not a alpha thing.

It gets tricky, because each UI text element has to use a single font texture atlas, so all characters for all languages and game controller symbols need to be in that single atlas. The languages can mix. A player with say a Chinese or Russian name could be playing with English players and their name would be blank if you did not have the symbols.

This was the "Duplicate Cars/Moto and all their inventory by picking them and placing them again" bug ?

Not sure, since Prime made that change, but it removes a delay when placing junk turrets and vehicles, so probably yes.

Tried A18.3. Impressed by the sheer amount of constant zombie flow (it's almost as if the engine now spawns zombies correctly around me).

Tried a 3 day bloodmoon. No lag whatsoever which is impressive. Here is where things really went bad:

Enemies just kept phasing through my plate walls of cobble stone when they are stunned. Zombie dogs also phased through the plates despite the fact no zombie should be able to pass through them .

The phasing through plates/poles bug is tiresome and needs to stop. It's been going on since A16. Zombies should always be outside of blocks when stunned.

https://imgur.com/a/B8EkFmi

I think the solution for the phasing zombies is to make them slide outside walls while they are stunned using ramps. This is most definitely a bug where zombies get physical bounds when they are unstunned and end up inside walls. I think they need to have constant collision check and pushed outside walls or "stomped" by other zombies...which would be cool too.

One thing I've noticed is that walls and other obstructions do not seem to minimize or shield from Demolishers when they explode. Is this by design or something that can be adjusted? I've played around and determined that as long as I am within the blast radius, I take a TON of damage, even when shielded by 4 steel blocks. Each block of separation mitigates some damage but this seems to be based on distance instead of material - 4 blocks of wood vs 4 blocks of concrete vs 4 blocks of steel all allow the same amount of damage to the player. Seems that if the material is stronger, less damage should be received - if this is possible, code wise...

i think it would be cool if we made the spears throw ability into a heavy jab (like the shovel) . it makes sense cuz. would you throw it and have a chance to losses it?, or just Stab harder?

It would be a neat feature to have some sort of attack mode (or right-click mode) toggle. Other than toggling spears between throw/jab, it could be used on other things. Such as building tools to toggle between build and attack mode. Or possibly just have a key that performs an alternate action than the mouse; this could be used to perform a melee bash with a firearm for instance. I dunno, your post just spurred some random thoughts.

Since I'm here, I want to just throw in a thank you to TFP. The care and dedication put into 7 days is amazing, and is a large part why I love the game. Alpha 18 is great and I'm just looking forward to whatever you guys bring. Thank you!

It would be a neat feature to have some sort of attack mode (or right-click mode) toggle. Other than toggling spears between throw/jab, it could be used on other things. Such as building tools to toggle between build and attack mode. Or possibly just have a key that performs an alternate action than the mouse; this could be used to perform a melee bash with a firearm for instance. I dunno, your post just spurred some random thoughts.

Since I'm here, I want to just throw in a thank you to TFP. The care and dedication put into 7 days is amazing, and is a large part why I love the game. Alpha 18 is great and I'm just looking forward to whatever you guys bring. Thank you!

OR possibly leverage it like the "change ammo" function from the guns and bows...Pistol whip or butt stroke function would also be very cool.

***Sometimes random blocks get destroyed when placed.***

I have been running in the 18.3 exp. build on random gen and I did come across something funny. I've seen it in previous versions here and there but I did find a workaround and maybe you guys would like to take a look. I linked a highlight of my testing for convenience.

I have a feeling it is related to the terrain generation but not entirely sure. Hopefully this can give some insight. More testing was involved but I simply show just a highlight here.

Archived