Console News

The Fun Pimp

We're at 6 and a half years, and 5-7 years in the industry standard for AAA companies with hundreds of developers working on a project. This is a small indie company with a handful of developers designing a game far outside the scope of what anyone else will even consider.

None of you have any idea of the actual costs of development, or what actually gets returned to the devs from store sales. Don't pretend you have any ideas on development either.

lol i think we hit a nerve or someone is tired of finding excuses for the tfp.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

i like to think that they have the brakes on to finish the pc version while waiting for next gen consoles to smash it out the park and make the best console game ever

it has the potential to be that good imo

you have high hopes lol i doubt the pc will be done even within 2 years

Well when it takes you 7+ years to work on 1 game that has no clear direction i'd imagine they run through money quick.

Yeah, sure. Companies throwing out unfinished, unpolished games after 4 years are obviously better than a company that puts more effort into developing a game throroughly :jaded:.

For example Factorio has been in development for a similar time and you will be hard pressed to find a game that is better optimized and more bug-free than that game. For some that is exemplary, others look at the years of EA development and call it a sham because it is above the average in development time(?) or because the developers take their time to try out different concepts.

Interesting that Telltale itself has put out an unfinished unpolished game that wasn't long enough in development to remove some serious kinks, a game called "7 Days to Die". :cocksure:

Experimentation is to be expected for development of novel game concepts. Just look at Blizzard who developed Diablo 3 from 2001 to 2011 (according to wikipedia), made presumably three internal revisions before releasing it to an open beta test. Final release was in 2012. Problems in the network code though needed further patches. Oh, and the auction house also underwent a few revisions until they finally accepted it was a mistake and patched that out completely. The irony: Diablo 3 wasn't even a new game concept, it was an Action-RPG in a long line of similar titles. And Diablo 3 was a big success story for Blizzard, by the way.

PS: A lot of forum users here (including me) are of the opinion that 7D2D should be in development as long as possible. Once it is finished there will be no new features coming (except for DLC and mods) and it will be at a dead end, just like the console version already is.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

Y

Interesting that Telltale itself has put out an unfinished unpolished game that wasn't long enough in development to remove some serious kinks, a game called "7 Days to Die". :cocksure:

PS: A lot of forum users here (including me) are of the opinion that 7D2D should be in development as long as possible. Once it is finished there will be no new features coming (except for DLC and mods) and it will be at a dead end, just like the console version already is.

I would rather not have console versions than an out of date and broken version. TT released an unfinished port that is true but it never would have happened had tfp not sold them the rights to an incomplete game in the first place. What console players got was essentially an unfinished version of an unfinished game that was sold as "complete".

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent. Lets hope for 3. :cocksure:

go for 5 dont matter to me i dont play this game more than 2-3 weekends a year before i get bored with how terrible it runs on ps4

I would rather not have console versions than an out of date and broken version. TT released an unfinished port that is true but it never would have happened had tfp not sold them the rights to an incomplete game in the first place. What console players got was essentially an unfinished version of an unfinished game that was sold as "complete".

Actually it is very hard to define when a game is finished. If there are no obviously needed features missing a game finishedness is in the eye of the beholder. A few alphas of 7D2D could have been released after some polishing and nobody would have an objective reason to complain.

Would any games journalist have batted an eye if TFP had released the A15/console version (after polishing) as the final game and the coming gold version as 7D2D 2 ? If anyone thinks yes, please explain on what grounds.

The problem with this game seems to have been that IG already had a lot to do to make the game fit on console and not enough time to also polish/debug the game to a state that is expected by most customers. Sadly this is typical now in the games industry: Games get released and the beta test is done by the customers, usually the game reaches some final state after a few months and 2-4 after-release patches.

And that is especially sad if that after-release polishing is then cut short by bancruptcy.

Actually it is very hard to define when a game is finished. If there are no obviously needed features missing a game finishedness is in the eye of the beholder. A few alphas of 7D2D could have been released after some polishing and nobody would have an objective reason to complain.

Would any games journalist have batted an eye if TFP had released the A15/console version (after polishing) as the final game and the coming gold version as 7D2D 2 ? If anyone thinks yes, please explain on what grounds.

The problem with this game seems to have been that IG already had a lot to do to make the game fit on console and not enough time to also polish/debug the game to a state that is expected by most customers. Sadly this is typical now in the games industry: Games get released and the beta test is done by the customers, usually the game reaches some final state after a few months and 2-4 after-release patches.

And that is especially sad if that after-release polishing is then cut short by bancruptcy.

Well honestly that would probably have been the smarter route to take. Release a finished debugged A15 version then on next gen rerelease the full game up to A18 or whatever that ends up being. I personally would have been more then willing to buy a revamped version if the original was complete. As it is now there are a lot of questions surrounding a next gen release but my main question would be if they failed the first time what makes you think it wont happen again.

Well honestly that would probably have been the smarter route to take. Release a finished debugged A15 version then on next gen rerelease the full game up to A18 or whatever that ends up being. I personally would have been more then willing to buy a revamped version if the original was complete. As it is now there are a lot of questions surrounding a next gen release but my main question would be if they failed the first time what makes you think it wont happen again.

They? Telltale? Surely that won't happen ever again :cocksure:. Sure sure, you hold TFP nearly as accountable for the console version as TTG and for you it seems TFP already released a console version.

Companies have a different view. If Dell sells a laptop with the hardware bought as an OEM model from a taiwanese shop and they just slap their brand name on it, add an operating system and their warranty papers into the box, that IS a Dell laptop. You as customer will never come in contact with the taiwanese OEM company and that company will never feel responsible or honor any warranty even if Dell goes bankrupt. I already brought up a similar example with marvel movies (where even a logo of marvel is on the title screen but still marvel won't do a thing if the movie is ****ed up) but obviously that didn't convince you either.

So again, 7D2D console is a game made by Telltale, licensed by TFP, there is a connection of sorts, the software is 90% the same. But it is an entirely distinct product and obviously TFP doesn't feel responsible for mistakes made by Telltale.

Now that TFP bought the rights back they are legally owners of the game and responsible for it though. Not that it amounts to much since software is universally sold without warranty.

i am happy to wait. i am playing the pc version as well. on the tv with an xbox controller. you could argue that i am playing the future console version right now.

tbh its gone way past a joke now. I have the game on pc and can play it by myself....but if i want to play it with my friends who are console only I have to play the very dated and abandoned version. 4 copies of the game between us on ps4 and 2 copies on xbox, do the devs care? well no.

The assets were sold...not sure how that can happen but ok that was years ago. Other games have dealt with this (https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/283392-after-telltales-implosion-the-walking-dead-the-final-season-returns)

Patience only goes so far... not that my loss of patience will correct it, developers have our money and do not care one bit

tbh its gone way past a joke now. I have the game on pc and can play it by myself....but if i want to play it with my friends who are console only I have to play the very dated and abandoned version. 4 copies of the game between us on ps4 and 2 copies on xbox, do the devs care? well no.

The assets were sold...not sure how that can happen but ok that was years ago. Other games have dealt with this (https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/283392-after-telltales-implosion-the-walking-dead-the-final-season-returns)

Patience only goes so far... not that my loss of patience will correct it, developers have our money and do not care one bit

Part of what you guys fail to realize is that the grand majority of the money you spent on the console version did not go to The Fun Pimps. It went to TellTale, who ♥♥♥♥ed things up and put the console port into the situation it is in.

Then on top of that, TFP went and spent the small percentage of money they had made on the console, PLUS some of the development funds for the PC version, just so they could get the rights back so you would have some hope of something in the future.

And you have the audacity to sit here and blame TFP for something they had little control over. You guys sure have a hard time facing reality. What would you do if TFP just said "♥♥♥♥ it" and shut this entire section of the forum down? Then culled any further discussion on the Console port, and told you to just deal with the fact that TellTale ♥♥♥♥ed you over.

No, instead they have asserted that though it is not financially feasible to continue working on the ♥♥♥♥ed up version you were given by TellTale, they do intend to continue with a new release after they are actually done making the game.

You are a wholly ungrateful lot, and this discussion is most definitely over. All you do is parrot the same crap every few posts and ignore the reality of things.

Part of what you guys fail to realize is that the grand majority of the money you spent on the console version did not go to The Fun Pimps. It went to TellTale, who ♥♥♥♥ed things up and put the console port into the situation it is in.

Then on top of that, TFP went and spent the small percentage of money they had made on the console, PLUS some of the development funds for the PC version, just so they could get the rights back so you would have some hope of something in the future.

And you have the audacity to sit here and blame TFP for something they had little control over. You guys sure have a hard time facing reality. What would you do if TFP just said "♥♥♥♥ it" and shut this entire section of the forum down? Then culled any further discussion on the Console port, and told you to just deal with the fact that TellTale ♥♥♥♥ed you over.

No, instead they have asserted that though it is not financially feasible to continue working on the ♥♥♥♥ed up version you were given by TellTale, they do intend to continue with a new release after they are actually done making the game.

You are a wholly ungrateful lot, and this discussion is most definitely over. All you do is parrot the same crap every few posts and ignore the reality of things.

The console version is years behind the PC...years.

If the roles were reversed and they abandoned the PC version I am sure you would be a tad miffed too.

All we console users are asking for is to give us feature plarity with the PC version. Hell even if we were a build behind it would be better than the mess it's in at the minute. Man the a17 map generator on PC is so much better the console version (though I prefer the console systems xp mechanic)

They say the issue is now funding, it's not our fault if they had a bad deal from tell tale, that really is not fair to make console users suffer for that.

That said if they released update 18 as paid for DLC (آ£15or even آ£20) I know I would pay for it immediately, so would most of my mates...yes it would be unfair make console users pay for an update that's free for PC users but it would be better than just being left out in the cold.

As for ungrateful, we purchased a product that we expected to be updated, we can see the PC version getting big updates and the console version just abandoned. What exactly is there to be grateful for? Do you mean the fact they ported it in the first case? Yeah that's why we all purchased it, this type of game is rare on the console so we wanted to support it. We are not the ones being ungrateful chap

Wrong had TFP not taken a quick cash grab by selling an incomplete game to TT this would not be an issue.

you mean TFP took some of the money gained by selling the rights to an undeveloped game so that they could keep the game undeveloped?

TFP did say screw it and told us to buy it on the next console version. If they keep a forum open so we can complain how trash they are doesnt really matter

Right so we can REBUY the game and put more money in their pockets while you pc players had to buy the game 1 time. No its the pc player base who is terribly ungrateful towards the console base. Had TFP not taken the quick money for selling an incomplete game they very well could have went out of business themselves. The sale of the console version is what allowed you pc players to continue to receive support

You make it sound like the Fun Pimps are broke with their 10 million PC copies sales. Going by $25 to $40 each. They should have plenty of money to toss around for a small team to split the money up.

You know, I usually just check here in from time to time just to see if there is any news about the console edition… not even bothering to post anymore.

As you said, the discussion is over. I already removed the game from my XB1 and I have no hope that there will be any reason for me to reinstall this trainwreck again.

It just isn't playable on Xbox with the MD5, since I have better things to do with my time than rebuilding a base of operations that gets reset frequently.

However, the "wholly ungrateful lot" fanboi remark just ticks me off.

I have paid for this game and therefor I have all the right to complain about a not working ****, as do the rest of the people here.

Should I be thankful about this forum? Should I be thankful about a glitchy ***? Plz help me here cause I'm confused.

They could've AT LEAST make the game playable again by adding a manual save, if all other options are "too expensive".

Now I'm stuck with a game, which is still being sold on Xbox Marketplace for a whopping 34,99, that just isn't playable and when I look on the forum I see a moderator telling me I should be thankful for it?

Dude… nice moderating.

The complexities of business, and of coding, are too much for many people. I hope TFP can eventually get to a place where they can devote resources to a new console version. I understand why they can't do so at this time. The ration of crap they receive due to the ♥♥♥♥show Telltale left behind is undeserved, but inevitable. The complexities are too much; simple black-and-white answers are the order of the day.

I think all that can be said about this has been said. Peeps are just repeating themselves and what others have said before them which were just a repetition of what they already read from someone else's post.

To summarize what the developers have said:

There are no additional updates to the console version planned. Nothing will be done in the console realm until the PC version is finished. At that point the devs will decide whether to re-enter the console arena and when they do it will most likely be an entirely new product on next generation consoles.

Cross-posting this from Roland's post in the General Discussion section.

The following console sections have been merged into [the General Discussion section]:

Bug Reports

General Support

This should tell you all you need to know. TFP is happy to provide a place for those who are still playing the game to be able to meet up and talk about things they wish to discuss. Players can help each other out with tips and troubleshooting advice. However, there is no longer any official support or bug fixing going on because there are no planned updates for the current version.

We don't want to send a false message that support and fixes for any issues with the current version of the game are forthcoming and so those sections were closed.

That being said, there does still appear to be a small but dedicated base of fans who haven't had a bad experience with the game and who are still enjoying it for what it is and who continue to be happy to meet up with others and start a new map and play.

For those people [the remaining sections] of the forums [are] planned to remain open indefinitely.

• 3 months later...

I for one will gladly pick up 7 Days for nexgen consoles when and IF it launches. Im currently playing it on PC and you can clearly see how much effort and love they are putting into the game. 7 Days to Die just keeps getting better and better with every update. Anxiously waiting for A.19. They deserve our support. TFP thank you for all your hard work! 

Edited by LONEWOLF231 (see edit history)

i been away from this forum for a few months as i got fed up with certain mods constantly sticking up for tfp and telltale about this busted @%$*#! game and the lack of any updates...... im back and glad to see the toxicity is still here.. lol 

i for one will not be buyuing this game on ps5 if it ever comes out. whats to say tfp wont do exactly whats happened here ?

10 hours ago, maughanorama said:

i been away from this forum for a few months as i got fed up with certain mods constantly sticking up for tfp and telltale about this busted @%$*#! game and the lack of any updates...... im back and glad to see the toxicity is still here.. lol 

i for one will not be buyuing this game on ps5 if it ever comes out. whats to say tfp wont do exactly whats happened here ?

If TFP decides to to a port, it will be after the game is finished. They won't be selling an Alpha game as a finished product like Telltale did.

• 2 weeks later...