Console News

The Fun Pimp

The inability to copy saves is a limitation forced my Microsoft. You are able to do this on the Playstation. Playstation doesn't have the MD5 bug like MS does though. And again, that's due to MS's choices on the file system. Why they would use a bastardized version of an out-dated file system is beyond me.

Still the TTG's should of had both options of auto save and manual saves. Besides neither overwriting unless we wanted them to. So that would of gave us a copy right away. Maybe not a exact copy. But seconds apart when you click manual save. Still just then go by the time stamp. Then keep a eye on it when MD5 occurs. Then erase that save all together then. Dawn of man on XBOX1 has auto save and manual save which is nice.

Still the TTG's should of had both options of auto save and manual saves. Besides neither overwriting unless we wanted them to. So that would of gave us a copy right away. Maybe not a exact copy. But seconds apart when you click manual save. Still just then go by the time stamp. Then keep a eye on it when MD5 occurs. Then erase that save all together then. Dawn of man on XBOX1 has auto save and manual save which is nice.

Given the size of the saves, it's almost surprising that Microsoft even allowed the cloud save feature. Dawn of Man is not a fully 3D Voxel game, so it's save files are several times smaller. (There is a big difference between 75kb and 3,145,728kb.)

When your save file can take up several gigabytes of data, you're not going to get multiple versions. Console storage is finite, and isn't easy for the "average Joe" to upgrade whenever they run out of space.

SUGGESTION!!!

If it is too expensive to fully port or update the console to the pc version, then why not

Open the console versions to allow modding, but no re sale such as Fallout 4 did.

Why?

It'll help find talented people, restore some trust due to legal issues and make the game as fun as was originally intended.

SUGGESTION!!!

If it is too expensive to fully port or update the console to the pc version, then why not

Open the console versions to allow modding, but no re sale such as Fallout 4 did.

Why?

It'll help find talented people, restore some trust due to legal issues and make the game as fun as was originally intended.

This would actually take longer, and cost more, than just getting the last update completed and pushed out.

I love this game, and unfortunately I don't have a PC to play it on, I bought it on ps4 a few years ago and together with a friend we spent hundreds of hours playing it ... please update our 7days to die console, put it in dlcs forms, to regain profits, the console community would pay only to see new things on the console. we stopped at alpha 14 or 15, the last update was the lights that can be turned on and off. please update our 7days, it covers the price by dlc!

I love this game, and unfortunately I don't have a PC to play it on, I bought it on ps4 a few years ago and together with a friend we spent hundreds of hours playing it ... please update our 7days to die console, put it in dlcs forms, to regain profits, the console community would pay only to see new things on the console. we stopped at alpha 14 or 15, the last update was the lights that can be turned on and off. please update our 7days, it covers the price by dlc!

Consider your self lucky. Us XBOX1 users have the MD5 bug that wipes out our bases and tons of hours down the drain. I just started playing again. But its like I hate to build to much or gather to much. Eventually game will run out of memory or whatever happens. I still got a old server save of like 300 days and 3 MD5 bug wipes on it. I still kept it. That map I got tunnels from each corner of the map and criss crossing back and forth going to major buildings as outposts. Besides built plenty of bases and trenches and spikes and mine fields and what not.

Consider your self lucky. Us XBOX1 users have the MD5 bug that wipes out our bases and tons of hours down the drain. I just started playing again. But its like I hate to build to much or gather to much. Eventually game will run out of memory or whatever happens. I still got a old server save of like 300 days and 3 MD5 bug wipes on it. I still kept it. That map I got tunnels from each corner of the map and criss crossing back and forth going to major buildings as outposts. Besides built plenty of bases and trenches and spikes and mine fields and what not.

And that i imagine is part of the reason there wont be dlc. Its not like the game is operational and tfp can simply add new content. They would first need to invest money into fixing and updating the console versions, then do the work to add new items/zeds etc. and then hope people would pay for it. Since the game itself is maybe $20 i coudnt see paying any more than $5 for some dlc which would come nowhere near covering the cost of updating

And that i imagine is part of the reason there wont be dlc. Its not like the game is operational and tfp can simply add new content. They would first need to invest money into fixing and updating the console versions, then do the work to add new items/zeds etc. and then hope people would pay for it. Since the game itself is maybe $20 i coudnt see paying any more than $5 for some dlc which would come nowhere near covering the cost of updating

I'd buy DLC if they fixed the MD5 bug for XBOX1.

I'd buy DLC if they fixed the MD5 bug for XBOX1.

i meant thats fine but whose gonna pay them to fix the errors first? I mean tfp cant come out and "release dlc" which is nothing more than program fixing. Those updates were due for about a year and a half at this point and they would have been free. I dont know many people who after all this time would now pay for the exact same update with nothing else added

Would it be possible to at least patch the 2 main problems even if an update for the console isnt in near future?

Memory overfill and crash problem.

Have a manual and auto save function?

Short answer - No this game is dead so nothing is coming

Long answer - TFP have the rights back and have already said they have no intent to develop console until after pc is complete. Even then the answer seems to imply they arent going to fix current gen and instead we would all be forced to rebuy the updated version on next gen. If you recently purchased the game i am sorry but do not expect to see anything done with the vast amount of issues present.

Like I suggested on twitter. TFP should try and get Iron Galaxy back to continue doing the console porting updates for this gen. TTG was the publisher but the game is published on console. So no need for them now. Not sure if TTG's get any royalties yet even though went bankrupt. Still shows all 3 companies at the opening credits.

Doubt Iron Galaxy works for free. But people here kept saying they were close to dropping a update before TTG stopped all projects. All I want is the MD5 bug fixed for XBOX1. Anything else extra is a bonus. You factor in 7dtd is still in the store yet for XBOX1/PS4. So its still out there for grabs. So TFP still getting some money for consoles yet. I'm sure it could be sparked up for sale if it went on sale. Not sure what the price is now. I don't even remember what I paid for it a few years ago.

I'm sure you could even add in new content to pay for like new characters or whatever. But if TFP turn their backs for this gen consoles. That wont look good for them for next gen if their aiming for XBOX2/PS5. Bridges burnt then. Yeah TTG was part of the problem. But TFP did get money selling rights to the TTG to port it to consoles. So TFP got money to use to continue working on PC through the hard times.

Like I suggested on twitter. TFP should try and get Iron Galaxy back to continue doing the console porting updates for this gen. TTG was the publisher but the game is published on console. So no need for them now. Not sure if TTG's get any royalties yet even though went bankrupt. Still shows all 3 companies at the opening credits.

Doubt Iron Galaxy works for free. But people here kept saying they were close to dropping a update before TTG stopped all projects. All I want is the MD5 bug fixed for XBOX1. Anything else extra is a bonus. You factor in 7dtd is still in the store yet for XBOX1/PS4. So its still out there for grabs. So TFP still getting some money for consoles yet. I'm sure it could be sparked up for sale if it went on sale. Not sure what the price is now. I don't even remember what I paid for it a few years ago.

I'm sure you could even add in new content to pay for like new characters or whatever. But if TFP turn their backs for this gen consoles. That wont look good for them for next gen if their aiming for XBOX2/PS5. Bridges burnt then. Yeah TTG was part of the problem. But TFP did get money selling rights to the TTG to port it to consoles. So TFP got money to use to continue working on PC through the hard times.

While i agree with this thought TFP have already in their official statement, after getting the rights back, all blame was on TTG. As TFP see it and some others on this forum they lost all responsibility after selling the rights and everything after that is the fault of TTG and IG. Now i would argue TFP knowingly sold the rights to an incomplete game, had no experience ever porting a game and then washed their hands of it to focus on the pc after getting the money from the sale. I blame all involved but as TFP started all of this i place more blame on them for poor business decisions. Those poor decisions seem to be continuing with the idea of requiring console owners to rebuy a game they already own while pc players just get everything for free. I had said before tfp got the rights back that that could be the worst case scenario and that seems to have come true. We now have 0 hope for updates, 0 communication and a game that for some unknown reason is still being sold thereby creating more angry customers

Edited by skillz_over_9000 (see edit history)

It will still cost millions of dollars. We've had this discussion already.

So Sylen, Can you educate us on this complex process of porting the update? Or when you say you don’t want to give us false hopes do you know something you don’t want to share with us?

As some have posted that IG actually does the port, so other then the fact it will cost money. Which most of us have asked about a kickstarter, to see if we can offset the cost to TFP.

Maybe you could explain it so we do understand. Or do our requests fall on deaf ears.

First, TFP has to strike a new contract with IG. This will require lawyers, and several months of deliberation. Just this alone will cost a few mil.

Second, IG will need to resume work on the port. Do they have the same team members that worked on it before? If so that will be easier. Otherwise they will almost be starting over from scratch. Just to finish the current build that was almost ready for release will take several months, and will cost several million dollars.

Then once that happens, do they continue? Do they just drop it there? These kinds of things would have been negotiated back in the first step. It does not make sense to spend several million dollars just to release a patch though.

Which leads us to the other issue...

The only thing i need to know about 7 Days and Console is:

Imagine:

let's say in 2 years, there will be a team that will port the game to console

maybe it will be A20.

will the console get an update to the same version or will they have

to buy the game again?

Say they decide to continue and work into aligning the console to the final build. This is going to take a couple of years, and won't be released until after TFP have finished the original PC game. (This is really the next step, because after finishing the next update, any new updates hat aren't hotfixes for current code would require a new save.)

The issue with all of this is that it will break current saves. Both Sony and Microshaft have a rule set against this. So they would be unable to update the current version without designing a new process for keeping the old format semi-compatible. Which will take a lot of time and several million dollars. So in order to release the actual finished version, this will likely require a second game release.

Thank you TTG for ♥♥♥♥ing over console players on this one by announcing an Alpha build as a finished product.

Now after all of that is considered, you have the primary consideration before you even go onto any of this. Money.

Will continued support of the console port be financially feasible?

If TFP goes into this process and spends 30 million dollars on it, is there any chance of recouping that cost? They are a small indie developer. They don't have that kind of money to just throw away. Much research into sales forecasts will need to be done to determine if this will end up at least breaking even. And that also costs money.

So once again, I have given you a detailed description, but kept it simple enough for most people to understand. This is just the tip of what all is involved in doing a port. If you want more details, Google is your friend. I don't know why so many people have a problem using it for finding out simple information.

Update it, hire someone else to do it. You’ve obviously been very successful on PC. Don’t do your consumer like that! If the game is never going to be finished perhaps it should be removed from further purchase if the money isn’t going towards finishing a game. It’s sucks cause this game is amazing and has ALOT of potential, look at ARK. Wildcard took a broken game and revamped their Dev team and boom. Launch some DLC’s id pay for more content, just finish the game and keep adding to it. You’d make tons of money you have such a huge support

Isn't Iron Galaxy still collecting money from any sales of digital 7dtd on XBOX1/PS4 yet? They should be still in the loop. TFP should still be passing on any pc data to Iron Galaxy for ports patches/updates. TTG was just the publisher. Not sure they are needed are they? Game is out in the digital console store collecting money. I thought somebody here said PS4 had 7d2d on sale a month or so back.

I'm sure people are buying it yet. I think it is a shame that TFP actually bought the rights back. TFP only bought it back to maybe consider porting it to XBOX2/PS5 after PC version goes gold. As for SylenThunder "It will still cost millions of dollars. We've had this discussion already." Millions for what? Why not stew up a new deal with Iron Galaxy?

They probably still collecting money from digital sales yet for consoles. So they probably more less in the loop for royalties. Just have Iron Galaxy collect a percent of the cut of new pending sales after a few patches trinkle out. Yeah i'm sure they want some walking around money to start. But a million to maybe weasel out a old patch they have sitting on a PC ready to be ported and go through certification from XBOX1/PS4? Bit steep for a tiny game to begin with.

Heck didn't that one guy buy or take the rights over for that game then turned it into PUBG for PC then had that ported to consoles after. I'm sure that game making a haul. Subnautica doing well on consoles. ARK is making a killing. I just bought two other games as in Dawn of Man and Surviving the after math. I'm sure they collecting money.

Also I seen that tweet about 7dtd had most active player base or something on Steam. So if PC is doing good. What's the hold up other then when they decide the game is gold? TFP should be raking in the cash by now. Yet they go to a auction to buy TTG portion of their rights back to now hold the console version hostage. I don't think its right at all. Yet were suppose to forgive and go ahead and buy 7dtd on next gen consoles once that's ported though.

Or if 7dtd making a killing on PC. Then TFP should be hiring more people to make a new division for their company to be ready for console ports or updates possibly be their own publisher. Or pass their console rights up for grabs or sell the whole game to EA or somebody or heck even Microsoft. Microsoft bought Minecraft for $2.5 billion. Or have Microsoft buy TFP company. Microsoft always looking for new exclusive first party companies. I'm sure Microsoft could look into the coding and see the MD5 bug pretty quickly within a month or so of owning the rights.

Microsoft bought that other zombie game State of decay 1 & 2 Undead Labs company. Its exclusive first party game now. They go from hardly any updates to a update minimum of once a month with bigger budget. They adding new clothes and outfits and what not there.

Isn't Iron Galaxy still collecting money from any sales of digital 7dtd on XBOX1/PS4 yet? They should be still in the loop. TFP should still be passing on any pc data to Iron Galaxy for ports patches/updates. TTG was just the publisher. Not sure they are needed are they? Game is out in the digital console store collecting money. I thought somebody here said PS4 had 7d2d on sale a month or so back.

I'm sure people are buying it yet. I think it is a shame that TFP actually bought the rights back. TFP only bought it back to maybe consider porting it to XBOX2/PS5 after PC version goes gold. As for SylenThunder "It will still cost millions of dollars. We've had this discussion already." Millions for what? Why not stew up a new deal with Iron Galaxy?

They probably still collecting money from digital sales yet for consoles. So they probably more less in the loop for royalties. Just have Iron Galaxy collect a percent of the cut of new pending sales after a few patches trinkle out. Yeah i'm sure they want some walking around money to start. But a million to maybe weasel out a old patch they have sitting on a PC ready to be ported and go through certification from XBOX1/PS4? Bit steep for a tiny game to begin with.

Heck didn't that one guy buy or take the rights over for that game then turned it into PUBG for PC then had that ported to consoles after. I'm sure that game making a haul. Subnautica doing well on consoles. ARK is making a killing. I just bought two other games as in Dawn of Man and Surviving the after math. I'm sure they collecting money.

Also I seen that tweet about 7dtd had most active player base or something on Steam. So if PC is doing good. What's the hold up other then when they decide the game is gold? TFP should be raking in the cash by now. Yet they go to a auction to buy TTG portion of their rights back to now hold the console version hostage. I don't think its right at all. Yet were suppose to forgive and go ahead and buy 7dtd on next gen consoles once that's ported though.

Or if 7dtd making a killing on PC. Then TFP should be hiring more people to make a new division for their company to be ready for console ports or updates possibly be their own publisher. Or pass their console rights up for grabs or sell the whole game to EA or somebody or heck even Microsoft. Microsoft bought Minecraft for $2.5 billion. Or have Microsoft buy TFP company. Microsoft always looking for new exclusive first party companies. I'm sure Microsoft could look into the coding and see the MD5 bug pretty quickly within a month or so of owning the rights.

Microsoft bought that other zombie game State of decay 1 & 2 Undead Labs company. Its exclusive first party game now. They go from hardly any updates to a update minimum of once a month with bigger budget. They adding new clothes and outfits and what not there.

you are stating the same anger most console players have right now. TFP have benefited since day 1 of the port but have given little back. Even as of today with them buying the rights back you must assume money is either going to TFP or IG...my bet is on TFP since they own the rights. Now it would be fair to say that with the money you have amassed and the fact you are benefiting from console sales that some interest would be returned. However tfp have said and have always said they are not into consoles they only care about the pc version. So yes they will take our money but no they arent going to give us anything in return. The focus has always been pc thats why pc continues to get free updates while consoles are left to wait for any possible change in status. Simply put the console player base would have benefited more from any other developer getting the rights over tfp.

(Disclaimer: The following is just careful guessing and estimating done from what is publicly known)

Iron Galaxy was definitely only contract worker for the porting, no sales money ever went through them. They simply were paid by TTG to do the port. It is safe to say that IG was totally out of any loop once TTG went bankrupt.

In my estimation simply finishing the version IG was working on would cost TFP somewhere between .5 and 1 million. And equally important a lot of work and time they can't delegate (especially initially to find and negotiate with a publisher and a developer). Now .5 to 1 mil for a company that has a successfull product but also developed it for 7 years now is not small change. Add all the management work neccessary to enable such a deal (surely hated by any developer) and you have two big reasons why TFP doesn't want to do this

New sales from a patch that is miles behind the PC version and has already been sold to its target audience for a few years will probably not be that great. It could be with luck. But you also have to take into account that TFP finally got everything cleared with the rights in Summer last year. I would guess it would have taken them from 9 months to over a year altogether before the patch would have arrived on console. And that would be very close to the time the new consoles went on sale. The chances are pretty slim to recoup even half the expenses after that because a lot of console owners will buy one of the new consoles and buy games only for the new one.

Selling out to Microsoft: I'm sure there is a price where TFP would sell their company. But is Microsoft even interested? Microsoft strategically overpayed Minecraft because it wanted influence on generations of young people at an age where influencing them is still easy. They now strategically bought game companies to fill their upcoming console(!!!) with games. Why should they buy a company and then finance a patch on the OLD console?

(Disclaimer: The following is just careful guessing and estimating done from what is publicly known)

Iron Galaxy was definitely only contract worker for the porting, no sales money ever went through them. They simply were paid by TTG to do the port. It is safe to say that IG was totally out of any loop once TTG went bankrupt.

In my estimation simply finishing the version IG was working on would cost TFP somewhere between .5 and 1 million. And equally important a lot of work and time they can't delegate (especially initially to find and negotiate with a publisher and a developer). Now .5 to 1 mil for a company that has a successfull product but also developed it for 7 years now is not small change. Add all the management work neccessary to enable such a deal (surely hated by any developer) and you have two big reasons why TFP doesn't want to do this

New sales from a patch that is miles behind the PC version and has already been sold to its target audience for a few years will probably not be that great. It could be with luck. But you also have to take into account that TFP finally got everything cleared with the rights in Summer last year. I would guess it would have taken them from 9 months to over a year altogether before the patch would have arrived on console. And that would be very close to the time the new consoles went on sale. The chances are pretty slim to recoup even half the expenses after that because a lot of console owners will buy one of the new consoles and buy games only for the new one.

Selling out to Microsoft: I'm sure there is a price where TFP would sell their company. But is Microsoft even interested? Microsoft strategically overpayed Minecraft because it wanted influence on generations of young people at an age where influencing them is still easy. They now strategically bought game companies to fill their upcoming console(!!!) with games. Why should they buy a company and then finance a patch on the OLD console?

Well Microsoft bought Undead Labs midpoint of State of decay 2. Also Microsoft promotes backward compatibility. People still buying old digital copies of 360 games for XBOX1. Yeah half million to one million is a lot of money a tiny indie company. But still heck at $30 for digital 7dtd going price now for XBOX1.

Sell a half a million is what $15M? Scratch off the Microsoft/Sony cuts off the top. TFP still got a Brinks truck to back up to the bank. TFP need to think their long game. Not get blood in the water this gen and maybe fans gets salty and give the next port a bad name even if its bug free or not for XBOX2/PS5.

Heck have a sale for $15 with a update and maybe swing for the fences and hope they sell a million copies or more. Million copies at $15 each still $15M then subtract the Microsoft/Sony fees and Iron Galaxy fees. Still money for Fun pimps to go full speed ahead and finish off PC version for gold.

Then go on to 7DtD2 for next gen and PC. Yeah my idea is a lot of what ifs and a bit of luck for sales. But better then sitting on their hands and only going gold for PC and neglect this gen consoles. Even though this gen consoles probably help flip the bill for some of these PC updates.

Isn't like TFP are eating Ramen noodle all week for years making this game. What are the sales figures for just PC? A few million copies sold or what? Steam says its $25 or $40 for PC version. After scrolling on the PC Steam page for 7dtd says 10 million copies were sold. So don't go saying TFP are flat broke. Even after Steam gets their cut. Then paying all TFP employees and their studio rent payments if they rent a place or own a building and utilities and what not. Don't tell me 10 million times whatever money they got with full price or sale prices. They could easily have $25M. They cant cough up a half a million or one million? Yeesh.

Well Microsoft bought Undead Labs midpoint of State of decay 2. Also Microsoft promotes backward compatibility. People still buying old digital copies of 360 games for XBOX1. Yeah half million to one million is a lot of money a tiny indie company. But still heck at $30 for digital 7dtd going price now for XBOX1.

Sell a half a million is what $15M? Scratch off the Microsoft/Sony cuts off the top. TFP still got a Brinks truck to back up to the bank. TFP need to think their long game. Not get blood in the water this gen and maybe fans gets salty and give the next port a bad name even if its bug free or not for XBOX2/PS5.

Heck have a sale for $15 with a update and maybe swing for the fences and hope they sell a million copies or more. Million copies at $15 each still $15M then subtract the Microsoft/Sony fees and Iron Galaxy fees. Still money for Fun pimps to go full speed ahead and finish off PC version for gold.

Then go on to 7DtD2 for next gen and PC. Yeah my idea is a lot of what ifs and a bit of luck for sales. But better then sitting on their hands and only going gold for PC and neglect this gen consoles. Even though this gen consoles probably help flip the bill for some of these PC updates.

Isn't like TFP are eating Ramen noodle all week for years making this game. What are the sales figures for just PC? A few million copies sold or what? Steam says its $25 or $40 for PC version. After scrolling on the PC Steam page for 7dtd says 10 million copies were sold. So don't go saying TFP are flat broke. Even after Steam gets their cut. Then paying all TFP employees and their studio rent payments if they rent a place or own a building and utilities and what not. Don't tell me 10 million times whatever money they got with full price or sale prices. They could easily have $25M. They cant cough up a half a million or one million? Yeesh.

Your guess is as good as mine. I would say they have well above 10 or 20 million in the bank, but dropping by 2 mil each year.

Nowadays most copies are surely sold at steam sales. Like any other game on steam it keeps a nice full price so that it can be sold with big reductions. I remember it was reduced in the winter sale and just now (again, just a month later!) it is in a steam sale reduced by 66% for 8$. Just saying, the $23 is a marketing instrument and a pipe dream.

They won't be scrounging the street for empty bottles ;-). I'm sure they could cough up the money if they decided to do the patch. But there is not only money involved, there is also a lot of work involved, work they didn't expect nor ever wanted. And especially not at this time when the PC version is getting finished and needs their attention.

They definitely have more accurate numbers at their disposal. They surely have a lot better idea what to expect from steam or console sales. Since they don't leap at the chance to make a good impression with console players and make money as well, I would say they don't expect a positive balance from it and independent of any money concerns they want this additional task like one wants an appendix operation. And they probably looked deeply at the options and didn't like any of them.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

Well when it takes you 7+ years to work on 1 game that has no clear direction i'd imagine they run through money quick.

We're at 6 and a half years, and 5-7 years in the industry standard for AAA companies with hundreds of developers working on a project. This is a small indie company with a handful of developers designing a game far outside the scope of what anyone else will even consider.

None of you have any idea of the actual costs of development, or what actually gets returned to the devs from store sales. Don't pretend you have any ideas on development either.