Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I'm not wading any further into this ♥♥♥♥show except to say that a lot of complaints keep referencing players with 1000s of hours or ones seeking a bigger challenge. Is this not why the game is so open to modding?

Yeah uncomment the hoe, problem solved if you think hoeing the ground is better than digging a hole and putting the box in.

I would take that bet in a heartbeat, and i would win. Remember this post.

No one has a hard time punching plants, not even sure where that came from. It feels like pandering to 12 year olds.

No one wants Conan or Ark farming, farming you yourself said sucked many months ago. I dont get this desire to take something unique and make it as boring as everything else out there.

Your stripping your game of its identity. And turning it into Rust without the PVP. Sorry if i sound bleak but Im extremely sad over this, and i seriously doubt im the only one despite what the testers may think.

Punching plants? That was me. :)

I was playing around and found out that (punching) corn was the best way to harvest all of the plants. Both for seed and corn. :)

Your solution to 20 jerks from the outside is to reduce them to 5 rather than toning down their superhuman hearing. That's the problem. This game has always been about resource management. Time is a resource too. If you're arriving at a POI a 5 and it take you 4 hours to clear the biome zombies, you're doing something wrong.

Our solution improves the FPS substantially. Once random encounters are in who cares? It will be way better all around.

The new player SHOULD be starving to death. That's the whole point. And that's why I'm getting more and more disappointed in the direction this game is going. You might as well take food and drink out of the game since it's apparently not an issue that you want players to deal with

- - - Updated - - -

I've never once crafted a hoe. Loot one. Should be easy for you since apparently all you like to do is ransack POIs.

I agree completely with Tazio. All MM does with each new Alpha is continues to dumb the game down to the point where Vanilla is completely boring. It's been getting this way since A13 dropped. 16 and 17 are just terrible. The Vanilla experience is no longer challenging or fulfilling. Without the modders keeping the challenge going this game would be dead and buried.

So, grindier. Not harder. Biiiig difference.

What was the value add in removing a boiled in a can water recipe? Low on XML space? Some fps issue? Visual bug?

...seems you've put more effort in removing it than leaving it in.

Food is has *never* been an issue in this game. And what tsbx said is true... If you want a nice ocd box to plant it, you build it. It is a crafting game.

Now I have to disagree with my Texas friend (that be you Mr. G.) - I have had some games on servers as of late at Insane and at nomad that have been harsh for food. I have had Snow berry poising and food poisoning more the last few weeks and been low on HP.

some RWG have given me nothing.

If this starts a ♥♥♥♥ storm I'm going to ban everyone or close the forums down.

You can no longer boil water in a can. You can simply boil water from a jar of murky water now without a cooking pot, but it takes 4x as long as with a cooking pot.

Why? More sharp sticks. Only veterans knew about the canned water trick and it was only useful on a really bad day where you couldn't find a cooking pot. So we removed cans of water and you can just boil jars of water now. One way to do things is best.

lol. I like the idea of not having to depend on a pot to boil water, thanks. :)

Its 5 seconds every 3 days to harvest, which is .000001% of a normal game or some very small % of the time. We like one system, not two, and everyone chose the new system so the hoe was removed. All it did was upgrade your dirt to the new box, but you can do the same thing by digging a hole and placing the new box. Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Getting the perks to be a decent farmer, digging out the farm, expanding it, and harvesting hundreds of plants takes a little more than 5 seconds every 3 days.

Ok, so what I'm understanding is that basically you just craft pre-tilled soil in your inventory and then place it and it becomes auto-flattened tilled soil that you then plant seeds in like normal? That sounds at least a bit better than I thought. I was seeing wooden boxes on legs that would take one plant each, like in the non voxel games. Glad I was mistaken. Will we still be able to fertilize these new blocks?

O.o whats up with all the hate. I play on insane difficulty

Imho

The amount of zombies outside the pois matters little to none. Not once have i felt that they add anything to the game. Most of the time i just run past them during the day and if i feel ballsy during the night, otherwise its stealthing past them which is just tidious. So maybe in this case less is more?

I dont understand how farming change is such a big deal. Farming in 7dtd have never been that developed. (No need for water, unless modded). You still need fertilizer and seeds, its just tilling thats gone, and well i guess its a problem for those who love repetitive actions...

Since when did water cans impact survival. It literally takes only half a day to find a pot if you are unlucky, which isnt enough to make you thirsty, and there is a high chance youll have a couple bottles of water by then. So boiling without pot takes 4x times seems fair to me

*tries to stifle a 14 yo Aurelius snigg er*

Ahem. Honestly, it's always been another early game quest item for me. One of the first things I'm on the lookout to add to my starter kit.

Having to find a hoe to start farming was another FUN mechanic for the early game. It forced me to loot one, or find a forge to make one, or end up going hungry because I couldn't get a farm going.

Decisions, decisions...

-A

You still need nitrate, clay and rotten flesh to make a farm plot. So find a mine, get a pickaxe etc. Maybe one less clutter item is needed but its still fairly deep and involved to get it going, and finding seeds is fun. I took pride in creating my farm one plot at a time as I found seeds as I didn't want to waste perks on seed crafting.

Getting the perks to be a decent farmer, digging out the farm, expanding it, and harvesting hundreds of plants takes a little more than 5 seconds every 3 days.

Ok, so what I'm understanding is that basically you just craft pre-tilled soil in your inventory and then place it and it becomes auto-flattened tilled soil that you then plant seeds in like normal? That sounds at least a bit better than I thought. I was seeing wooden boxes on legs that would take one plant each, like in the non voxel games. Glad I was mistaken. Will we still be able to fertilize these new blocks?

The farming perks were never justifiable to me. Do a lot of people really buy them? I always farm, but I HATE spending limited resources(perk points) on unlimited resources that I can gain in other ways. I just made my farms a bit bigger and dealt with 1 item harvests. I would much rather spend a perk point on something that is absolutely unattainable in any other way.

Yeah uncomment the hoe, problem solved if you think hoeing the ground is better than digging a hole and putting the box in.

I don't think you understand the significance of what the hoe represents. It represents progress. It represents the ability to complete many tasks in fulfillment of a goal. It means that you can't hit a farm, grab the corn, and be farming on day 1. Dumbing down farming to "craft a block" means farming isn't a challenge. Do you want this to be a game that challengers players? Right now I it seems the answer is no.

Answer this: who are you designing this game for? Are you looking to make a quick buck from a casual player who is going to put in 20 hours before they go back to Fortnite? Or are you gearing the game for a 1000 hour player who buys copies for their friends and recommends it to everyone they meet?

@Madmole

What do you think about sleeper groups in the wilderness. As far as i know a sleeper that's asleep uses far less resources than an awake one. Your issue also seems to be that 1 lone random zombo is not a challenge.

My idea:

Have group sleepers in the wild. 3 or more zombies/dogs/etc. Together. Hidden in tall grass or slumped against a tree. Think a hunters and their dogs dying out in the field. Or a pack of wolves, whatever. These can be game staged so new players might just get a pack of zombie crawlers and vets get something much scarier like a family of zbears.

You can make it so animals can't wake sleeps and you're set.

So the wilderness can still be spooky and not just a waste of space.

"Everyone" doesn't include your players obviously

You are just being butt hurt to be butt hurt. If you aren't adding anything to the conversation then stop.

The square farm plot was added months ago and seemed pretty popular on the forum. Internally everyone loved it so we decided it wasn't good for the game to cling to the legacy system and our tool tip needs to teach them ONE way and we chose the farm plot, and it was a unanimous no brainer choice for guys who are probably more passionate about the game than you are. You can mod back in the hoe method if you want to.

Archived