Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

We'll have a look, but I really don't feel like its the best use of development time trying to plug holes people are constantly trying to poke into the game for "exploit guides". Just play the game and design your own bases. Watching videos like that is like fast forwarding to the final episode of game of thrones on the first night on season 1. Why would you spoil the ending, or watch exploit videos when you could try stuff yourself and have your fun with the game? I get it if you are stuck or get rekt, but there will always be exploits no matter how much work we put into it. All people have to do is have self control and not watch that crap.

Like if we fix that, then the next guy finds 5 more. WHere does it stop?

I hear you on that one.

Don't disagree with the statement at all.

:). Understandable, you have alot of things to do and it takes alot of time. Auto aim is a double edged sword, they miss alot (20%+ I believe at 5 blocks and gets more from there) and they hit almost exclusively body shots. Even if you only hit 50% of your headshots, and completely miss the other 50%, with the headshot bonuses in game being as high as 300% you actually end up doing significantly more DPS than almost exclusively body shots. Placed turrets also do not dismember. This is prolly fair considering their fire rate combined, but the lack of dismemberment is definitely the loss of alot of hidden power other weapons have.

In the Int build the first 20 days are pretty cake (as they are with most builds really). You can stun baton your way through most POIs and wandering hordes, turrets are nice vs solo bears and wolves and deer and etc, and they can handle Day 20 horde with concrete walls and iron bars pretty easily so long as you bring about 100% more ammo than you think you'll need. I'm set to nomad 32 zombies at a time and day 20 was just me, my AK, and my turrets DPSing. I was close to running out of all ammo but I made it. Overall it felt alot easier than my agility or strength play throughs during those days. TBH you could wooden club your way through the first 20 days too, Wooden Club actually has about the same damage as Stun Baton with more up front damage but Baton's electrical stun damage making up the difference. (which is fair since stun baton is expected to have turret support)

Day 20+ is where the game starts to slowly outscale the turrets however while other classes continue to come fully online. You prolly won't notice the full difference until about day 40. When you start facing regular ferals rads it starts putting the DPS difference in sharp relief as the TTK skyrockets and you start getting a few daytime enemies that run. I don't think you can really power through it like Fort (raw DPS) or Perception (massive penetration), stealth treasure rooms like agility, or spam cheap explosives like Agility/Perception. TBH explosives are prolly too good for their cost, your only real limit is duct tape and bone economy is quite generous atm. Strength is prolly the only other one who can't directly power through with on perk equipment but strength also gets miner69er and motherload so they farm like a madman and can brute force a horde through farm if need be.

I want to be clear, Int spec will still be able to handle 32 zombies at nomad difficulty. It just won't be able to do so as easily as other stats because it's less powerful. A greater focus on careful pulls/kiting/splitting enemy groups and farm can overcome most power differentials in this game if need be.

There are probably few players that can solo a 32 zed horde on nomad so I'd say its working pretty well tbh.

Mad Mole or anyone else in the know. The skill for rifles under perception says it applies to rifles but does not specify what kind. there is a different skill for assault rifles. I am assuming the skill in perception does not apply to full auto rifles but no where in it does it say. can this be clarified in the skill info to maybe say single fire rifles or some such thing?

It applies to any item you find that says "Rifle". If you look closely the Ak says "machine gun" as well as the m60, so that should be clear that it only works for hunting and marksman "rifles".

I recommend adding two tabs to the traders menu.

1. Books

2. Mods

There are so many of both that adding a tab for each would help players find what they are looking for.

THere is a mods tab I think. Books go under science or something.

Has anyone seen the effect of the glancing blows? They were supposed to make melee more reactive but to me it still feels like to hit a zombie you have to have your crosshair on it at the moment of impact, and it's either hit or miss. I have not noticed anything related to the glancing blows that were described here. Wondering if I'm the only one.

I get some, but miss some very close shots, it depends on the arc and trajectory of the animation.

I challenge you to put the numbers aside and simply just play organically. You might just enjoy it. 😎

Agree. By the time people figure out exploits, that random gen biomes distribution is not super random yet, and dps woes compared to other weapons, you could have had 500 hours of fun.

Well, I said one thing and MM said another. You can either believe him or me or both or neither or just be confused or unsure or take a nap or pretend you never read this.

I remember talking about what could work, you implemented it so you know exactly how it works. I never die on blood moons so I have no idea if it even works :)

I can also attest to this. Now that I'm level 66 and it takes over 220,000 XP to level up, I can reflect and look upon past mistakes. Why did I give in to my laziness and put a point into Pack Mule? Why did I put those two points into The Huntsman? And why did that gas can schematic show its face just after I spent 5 points trying to purchase it after I got fed up? (Haha.) Leveling is so much more meaningful now (or at least, deciding where to put your perk points, especially early on), and I love it. You've all done a fantastic job crafting this alpha (ie TFP).

THanks, yeah I'm having a blast with it as usual. Is a shotgun guy viable on horde night? I just have a crap q2 double barrel so hopefully things get better. I might need to get closer to them and build bars in my basement trench because shooting from above I have to wonder if half the rays are getting wasted.

Madmole, what happened to the trader quests that involved resource gathering? I thought that was coming in A18.

It got pushed back, we decided the perk overhaul should include 20 new weapons. You aren't disappointed I hope :) It won't take long, but we're polishing existing stuff before adding now, as we have so much content that needs love yet we might not even have it for a19 since we want to improve quest markers, dig quests etc. Hopefully we can get it in though.

You mean had?

No, has.

The snow biome still has that exact same performance drop when looking at terrain that the first experimental build has. Desert has it also, but to a smaller extent.

Forest, Wasteland and BurnedBiome have no issue and are currently performing roughly the same as A17 (although i have to turn AF off for that, which hurts image quality, but that issue will hopefully be fixed sooner or later).

There's still plenty of people reporting it as well (specifically mentioning snow biome as well)

Edit: as far as numbers go, looking at lots of terrain in the Snowbiome, the fps can go as low as 15, but typically sits at 20-30FPS. Forest/Burned/Wasteland biome is ~50 FPS for me now(no drops).

Edit2: Specs: Intel 4.2 Ghz Quadcore (Haswell) , Radeon RX480 8GB, 16GB DDR3. Running 1080p on Win10. Texturesize or streaming/occlusion does not matter for framerate.

THanks, yeah I'm having a blast with it as usual. Is a shotgun guy viable on horde night? I just have a crap q2 double barrel so hopefully things get better. I might need to get closer to them and build bars in my basement trench because shooting from above I have to wonder if half the rays are getting wasted.

A shotgun may be worth it if you're in this position. :) (Ignore the *coughs* missing bars) Just find out where the zombies heads usually line up, pull the trigger until the chamber is out, reload, repair the bars, rinse and repeat. Just a suggestion. :)

s08c1mY.jpg

I'm honestly buying all the shotgun shells and buckshot I can from the traders in the hopes of one day finding the shotgun turret schematic. Not all ammunition types are useless, even if you're not specializing in the guns that use them! ;)

Many people have reported improved performance.

I looked back at your (recent) posts and never saw you post your system specs or settings. If you don't give us details like CPU, RAM, GPU, VRAM, screen resolution, OS, then we can only give you guesses. Post your log file and it will tell us all that.

Player.log or.

I run win 10

Gpu is a gainwood 1070

8k vram

Cpu 6700k core 7

32k ram

4k tv res

Settings - ultra and high won't play on anything less cause I may as well be playing a 80s arcade game....

Yeah definitely shotgun is viable. My horde base that's only for hordes is kinda like the Pentagon, cept it's square. 3 square walls around each other 4 blocks high spaced 1 block apart from each other with spikes inbetween. I have wood bars on top, and i usually use my level 1 shotgun with no shotgun perks to start the night to use excess shells I've found, the 4 height seems effective, get quite a few kills before running out and switching to my main AK/7.62 ammo.

By the way, does the "forgetim' " drink or whatever the trader sells give you a respec? If not what does it do? I kept forgetting to check it and the trader doesn't have it for sale atm.

It applies to any item you find that says "Rifle". If you look closely the Ak says "machine gun" as well as the m60, so that should be clear that it only works for hunting and marksman "rifles".

well that does seem to help clarify it, hadn't noticed that on the AK.

For sure.

I don't think it's random.

When you set up a killing corridor correctly.

they will all run up and fall off the ledge, rinse and repeat.

I'm saying 50% of the zombies do that. And 50% attack your base and don't run up and do that.

I understand that would be difficult to code. Just an idea 🤷♂️😕

_

And I know people will find a way.

But before the zombies had this improved AI you didn't see stuff like this.

Because they just attacked all over.

if there was a mix of AI from a15 for example and AI now. That wouldn't be too bad.

What I would do is increasing the cost of the path grid where zombies died. If more the two died nearby, increase the cost in that area. This will let the pathsearch favor other paths over time, marking the killing corridor a bad way to take.

Those extra costs could vanish over time, resetting to zero cost.

Archived