Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Hey so I hit the fabled yeeted into the atmosphere bug while riding on my motorcycle. I didn't get enough info for a bug report (location, etc.), was kinda miffed lol. For context, I was outside Gravestown riding up a steep incline (plz fix the torque bug asap lol) while getting whailed on by 9000 buzzards (2). I killed them and got back on and chugged back up the hill like a snail, and as soon as I peaked the top I got launched. Here is the stuff that spammed during it, apparently it went into a huge loop of repositioning, and a few things around me also "fell off the world":

https://pastebin.com/tFSHcxgX , in case it helps you guys.

I like the Q6 loot only idea. oh well, when legendary items are in it wont matter much.

I also like the mid range crafting mechanic a lot, it keeps looting always interesting. so i hope u wont keep it just for stone tools.

I noticed some weapons are scraped into parts (T3 mostly) and some are into iron/stone.

atm its not clear which items u should scrap, and which u should sell/melt in forge unless you read the description of every item. mb this aspect should be more visible to new players.

so just to clarify -

1. will the random stats crafting apply to Q6 items only ?

2. will the random stats crafting apply to "T2/3 items that are salvaged into parts" only ?

3. on a side note, is there a way to scrap more parts from an item by using some workstation, or can you safely manual scrap them?

Primitive crafts will not have random stats. Iron and steel crafted items will. No way to increase parts from scrapping at a workstation afaik.

We're talking about codes hidden in the houses to unlock the super chest, or on a boss, so crash landing cheese or nerd polers can't get the best loot without doing at least half the POI to find the code first.

Could it be done so say 3 or 4 randomly placed chests throughout the house have to be opened before the super chest spawns in the loot room. They could be slightly different so you would know you had to open them. That way you would get rewarded for going through the most of/entire house but would still get your regular loot in room if you wanted to fast track through.

If military armor is the best in the game then I can see a point in military fibers if not, then yeah mil fiber is not needed. If mil armor is the best of the best then having to go through the hassle of finding mil fibers seems worth it.

'Best' is not always (and definitely shouldn't be) so clear cut. Each item should thoughtfully provide the player with choices and playstyle trade-off's. Without providing these options, it renders any alternate item moot in respect to the endgame, and is generally bad design.

@MM

This post may be a little long but its critical. I posted a few days ago about a potential bug when looting certain loot containers. The issue; when you loot a wall safe, a gun safe, reinforced chest, and hardened reinforced chest, you only get T1 gear (Guns, armor, tools, or anything with a Tier value) regardless of what your Lucky Looter or loot bonus is. I did some testing last night and I have been able to localize it and repeat it with predictability.

When I am in a party with friends the bug happens. we are both within a lvl or two and GS is at 160ish for each of us. My friend has Max LL and has Lucky Googles equipped as well. I on the other hand have 0 points into LL and I am using Nerdy Glasses. I got on like 3 hours before my friend did and was out looting when I noticed I was getting various tier lvls of gear from the aforementioned loot containers. When my friend finally logged in we partied up and immediately I started only getting T1 loot from those specific loot containers only(as well as he did). 100% of the time we were looting those specific loot containers while in a party we only got T1 gear. So i would clear a POI drop party and loot and get varied tier quality items. I would rejoin the party and loot a new POI while in that party and sure enough, BOOM T1 loot.

In Conclusion when in a party you only get T1 loot from wall safes, a gun safes, reinforced chests, and hardened reinforced chests. I have tested it. I am at work today when I get home I will make a video showcasing the bug and will post a link to it here. Possible issue may be the LL bonus while in party is disabled? idk?

This must be a bug in your game, because the wife and I are always in a party and I've gotten great loot that seems to have improved as I level lucky looter and found the goggles.

I agree with you here Gazz, they shouldn't be at traders. Very least, make it to where they won't show up at all at them until after like day 50 or so, i ncase RNG doesn't like you. Cost should be way higher than 20 or 30k, I'd say 100k base sounds fair.

I'm ok with late game money sinks. Like a chance to get one legendary in a big list of stuff probably means you won't find what you need. Like a legendary pistol means nothing to me if I'm spec'd into automatic weapons. But yeah probably only having it in loot is better.

I'm actually looking forward to the new Terminator movie. With Linda Hamilton back, and James Cameron directing and they somehow time travel erase all the other dumb versions this is the real T3 and for that I'm stoked.

FYI, Cameron came up with the story and is producing, but didn't direct it.

We were gonna buy a gyro for an insane amount of monies. Decided not to because not worth it. But yea, if there was a legendary m60 for 100k I'd have bought the ♥♥♥♥ out of it, and im sure many many others would do the same. I mean..its legendary. Just look at real life. People might drop thousands of dollars on a baseball card right? It's a piece of cardboard...but if its legendary its worth a whole lot more than a piece of cardboard and if people have the money they WILL buy it just to say they have it.

Right because you can always get another gyro or find the schematics and craft it from garbage at some point, but that legendary m60 will be gone forever if you don't drop the cash now!

We also have to consider, "What kind of Legendary Weapons are we talking about here?" Are they considered a small upgrade to level 6's with some unique buff/ability attached, or they do make level 6's look like a commoner's weapon?

I also believe they should be exclusive to loot, but if they have to be found at the traders as well, I'd rather them be balanced than unbalanced.

Like a T7 with an additional special perk. Does 10% extra damage to trader Rekt :D

I'm ok with late game money sinks. Like a chance to get one legendary in a big list of stuff probably means you won't find what you need. Like a legendary pistol means nothing to me if I'm spec'd into automatic weapons. But yeah probably only having it in loot is better.

True enough. I'm def ok with a late game money sink myself, but yeah I feel you in the it should only be in loot. But, if you consider it in traders, having it available only late-game and very expensive I think is a better way to go about it. 20k-60k isn't that hard ot get by day 28, but 100k+ is still a chunk, I think that's about a "legendary" cost amount. The code thing you were talking about with the big POI end-loot sounds like a good spot for a low-chance of a lengenday spawn

Right because you can always get another gyro or find the schematics and craft it from garbage at some point, but that legendary m60 will be gone forever if you don't drop the cash now!

Will legendary apply to things like: tools, clothing, armor, mods, seeds, etc. or is it only for weapons?

@MadMole (Anyone)

I have started a Alpha 18 General 'Guide' to try and consolidate various issues that get discussed multiple times in the Developer's Diary.

Alpha-18-General-play-answers-ideas-and-or-concepts

Currently:

It has a general section covering New Forum Users, General 7D2D info, links Sylen Thunder's great computer/server/game support guide, the Bug Reporting thread, and expectations for posting here in the Dev Diary.

It has a Death/Zombie section that covers the Death Penalty, Rage, higher level Z's at times, and Z/Horde GPS. (Plan to add Demolition Z soon.)

The various section currently has Food Poisoning and Item Repair, and plans to add Farming (and plots), and a couple perk/skill items. (Like moving this there, etc.)

There is also a section on things that have been removed (Behemoths, Hoes, LBD (Learn By Doing), Procedurally Generated Caves, and Zip Lines.)

The verbiage is mostly my own (intended to be clear and impartial, and some thanks/credit to Roland) but I am going through posts and linking to supporting posts that are TFP voiced (MadMole, Faatal, Gazz, etc.)

And thank you to the people who have responded favorably helping my motivation.

Cool! I will read it and get you feedback eventually :)

so the question about legendary stuff. I say keep it loot only. I'm fine with tier 6 stuff being available through looting or purchasing from the trader. but for legendary stuff it should be loot only.

honestly it's not difficult on single player anyways to make a ton of dukes. heck if folks band together on MP they could get dukes easy and just buy the legendary.

also I worry about using the forgetting elixir to reset the secret stash as an easy way to get a higher shot at getting those legendary things.

no I rather it not be part of a quest either. finding an awesome thing in loot feels so much more rewarding.

Hi Madmole, I'm posting this for a friend.

Hi, im having a problem with 7 days performance lately on the new experimental alpha and I dont know why.

Most of the time, both the GPU and the CPU are sitting at 50% usage, with everything on max settings.

This results on me having 30-50fps with very frequent drops which makes melee combat really hard.

My specs are:

Ryzen 7 2700x @stock

Gtx 980ti superclocked acx2.0 @stock

16GB DDR4 3100mhz

650w evga power supply

I ran unigine heaven benchmark 4.0 to see if I could make my card hit 100% usage and it did without any problems. I also checked my power settings on the pc because somebody told me that it could be set for power saving mode or something.

What else can I try? Thanks!

While running some tests for heat I noticed this. I love how zombies will now climb each other to reach you, very cool. =)

20191015200827-3.jpg20191015200827-1.jpg20191015200826-1.jpg

Man I love this game; really, this is literally the only recent game that really sinks into me lately. Other than random CS-GO matches, 7 days is seriously what I look forward to playing.

BTW, your leg is broken :o

What if the trader sold legendary hidden stash maps? Cost 20k-30k. And had a % chance of getting a legendary with other goodies inside.

If military armor disappeared, what would take its place in the Light Armor tree? I think it's important to keep it and having it be fairly rare and hard to work with compared to steel armor, as Light Armor is sort of inherently better than Heavy Armor for its natural lack of encumbrance.

Having it be difficult/rare makes sense; Light Armor is harder to make but easier to wear, and Heavy Armor is easy to make but harder to wear, due to its reliance on mods to be effective. At least, that's my feelings on it.

Also: what color would legendary items be? Orange is the standard color for legendary loot these days, but that's already used by Poor items. I think they should be tier 7 with a cyan bar, like it's made of diamond or something :greedy_dollars:

I think legendary items should be obtained through completing some sort of a quest chain. For example, you find some information about *item_name* in loot (note, book or something like that). Next, you can collect particles of information about the location of the item from different traders. Ofc you have to pay a lot of money for the information (for late game money sink), or do a specific, very difficult quest for a trader. And only then you can start to search for the item itself. It can be in some unique POI generated specifically for this chain, with lots of strong zombies (or even bosses) and fortifications to break through. In my opinion, such a way for obtaining "Legendary" item will be truly legendary and interesting.

Thank you for taking a look faatal. <sry for delay replying, ISP was down last ~12 hours>

Yes, quite old & final driver was 2015. Was still getting 30+ fps @ 1600x900 in A17; most of the prettys off or low other than Half textures & Trees Med. Quite playable for me.

Certainly not Apples to Apples but I've had no issues running Empyrion which is also running Unity 2019.

EGS: Initialize engine version: 2019.1.10f1

7dtd: Initialize engine version: 2019.1.0f2

Been a couple years since I looked but last I did the Nvidia GPUs that would offer enough of an improvement to be worth bothering and would work in the mobo drew nearly twice the juice, so I'd likely need a new power supply as well. Not in the cards (heh) right now (shrug).

-- just in case the following helps

I've seen a few, possibly similar, issues reported by players with more current AMD GPUs.

One from a AMD radeon 5700XT here, Unholyjoe commented that it's a known issue..?

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?128820-White-flickering-dots-on-ground-textures-and-stones

Posters who listed their card in this thread are all older like mine, though not everyone listed their GPU;

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?127827-Terrain-is-showing-wireframe-Alpha-18

A18 uses Unity terrain and Micro Splat shaders. Empyrion may not be using either.

Archived