Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

So Roland there are arguments for both ways, you will have players who like to build and others who want to just kill. I don't want all my major XP to come from killing zombies and I like the questing. BUT (always a but) we need more questing and complex quest like do this to get this to make this to do next quest.

I would propose scavening as an XP source to replace some of that zombie kill XP, because

1) Zombie killing and scavenging is a combined activity most of the time

2) Does give xp whether you stealth or kill to get at the loot

3) It will reduce XP you get from mass killing of zombies

I think a lot of the players saying zombie-killing is still the fastest way to get XP think about pure mass-slaugther of zombies while others who say mining is the best xp source compare it to the normal kill+loot activity "normal" players are doing.

So moving a chunk of that xp from kills to loot containers and increasing it slighty would help balance the game: If you play organically and loot+kill you will get xp comparable to mining while a pure killing spree will get less xp than now, hopefully near the level of mining as well.

I would propose scavening as an XP source to replace some of that zombie kill XP, because

1) Zombie killing and scavenging is a combined activity most of the time

2) Does give xp whether you stealth or kill to get at the loot

3) It will reduce XP you get from mass killing of zombies

I think a lot of the players saying zombie-killing is still the fastest way to get XP think about pure mass-slaugther of zombies while others who say mining is the best xp source compare it to the normal kill+loot activity "normal" players are doing.

So moving a chunk of that xp from kills to loot containers and increasing it slighty would help balance the game: If you play organically and loot+kill you will get xp comparable to mining while a pure killing spree will get less xp than now, hopefully near the level of mining as well.

I like it!

I was thinking it would be great to have some AC or Heater added to the high-tier electrical stuff... it would give a sense of achievement to go through the apocalypse in a cozy, comfortable base where you don't have to worry about clothing anymore. Just set the temp and enjoy!

I'm pretty sure being indoors makes you comfortable already without AC or heat.

If you ever are looking for ideas for player created weapons...all you need to do is go play Dead Rising 2 and all the later parts...I was glad when Capcom actually used some of my submitted suggestions for weapons in part 3+...There are so many amazingly goofy weapons in the games...but a couple of good ideas ;)

If the shotgun is going to be the weapon of choice for the brawler playstyle, it's going to need some love. I maxed out all gun perks and had a full modded lvl 6 shotgun and it never felt "good" at end game.

I would buff the range, shell capacity and rate of fire to make it feel viable endgame.

If the shotgun is going to be the weapon of choice for the brawler playstyle, it's going to need some love. I maxed out all gun perks and had a full modded lvl 6 shotgun and it never felt "good" at end game.

I would buff the range, shell capacity and rate of fire to make it feel viable endgame.

I would love to see a SPAS-12 as the ultimate shotgun. 1487473732_descarga(1).jpg.ffecde0258dd5eff74c4458cf40344d1.jpg

For the protection you get? 90% damage resistance should come with some penalties. Kids these days want their resistance and haste runes at the same time. Go play skyrim and sprint in Heavy armor, you can run about 10 seconds and its significantly slower. Sure there is an OP perk that removes that penalty but Its a SP game so they can be OP and it isn't as big of an issue.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am not saying it needs to be changed or anything like that. Just saying that I find the current movement drawback with heavy armor not really worth the protection. Light armor gives a damn good damage resistance once completed and you move MUCH better in it. I have always played more to mobility than armor. If you make it worse though I would think that there would be almost no reason to go heavy over light.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am not saying it needs to be changed or anything like that. Just saying that I find the current movement drawback with heavy armor not really worth the protection. Light armor gives a damn good damage resistance once completed and you move MUCH better in it. I have always played more to mobility than armor. If you make it worse though I would think that there would be almost no reason to go heavy over light.

I see what you mean. I think its close but might need a little love yet. Another way to handle it is not affect movement speed much in light or heavy, but affect sprinting stamina drain instead, then you can move fast for a bit, but it will cost you. Right now I literally remove my armor to travel because its so slow until I get a vehicle. Then with perks like yeah cardio you could travel in armor at least.

This is already the case at higher levels. The XP you get from killing a zombie is always the same regardless of your level. However, the passive XP from looting and other activities such as digging increases with each level.

For example, I get more XP by looting two bird's nests than by killing a zombie. For me, the source of my XP doesn't matter as I do what I need to do for my future plans anyway.

Melee Blade vs Club. I may be missing the final effects as I haven't fully spec'd into melee perks but right now it seems like Clubs always have a significant advantage over blades. The knock down chance.

It makes sense that a machete wouldn't be nearly as likely to knock a z down as a club or sledge. But that knock down is pretty significant in melee, especially when facing higher or multiple z's.

Don't have any great idea to offer that makes sense. Just bringing it up as last night I swapped out my club for the machete, to save an inventory spot, and really noticed the difference clearing a poi.

---

On Mobility in general, the one thing that feels un-natural to me is the side step speed. Agree it shouldn't be full sprint, but personally I do think 'sprinting' sideways should be a bit faster than 'walking' sideways.

---

Request for a variable zoom Scope/s. 2-7x or 3-9x. The way the old scope worked was really useful for the rifles :)

----

----

Can't submit a bug report since running a few small modlets but wanted to mention that while I've had zero issues with the minibike, I've had both the 4x4 & the Motorcycle disappear on me.

Happens when driving them. Just a wag but seems like it happens when loading in the next area. Game hangs, have to quit via windows, come back, 4x4/motorcycle are gone.

No issues when they're parked.

This is already the case at higher levels. The XP you get from killing a zombie is always the same regardless of your level. However, the passive XP from looting and other activities such as digging increases with each level.

For example, I get more XP by looting two bird's nests than by killing a zombie. For me, the source of my XP doesn't matter as I do what I need to do for my future plans anyway.

Well, in co-op games you tend to specialize and from 2 weeks in the game till the end the miners are about 5 to 10 levels in front. It never bothered me but it is evidence of an imbalance. If the same is true for zombie hunting in the early game then I can at least understand the people saying "I have to kill zombies to get to the game stage where I have fun".

Maybe linear or constant xp for all activities would be better than this mix.

I would love to see a SPAS-12 as the ultimate shotgun. [ATTACH=CONFIG]28145[/ATTACH]

Eh , I have one and they were nice...but are completely blown away by newer shotguns...My Kel-tec KSG which I keep loaded with 12guage mini slugs , holds 25 rounds . Even better , I like my new and cheap(under $600) Tristar KRX semi auto with 10 round magazines...shooting 10 12gauge rounds in a couple of seconds is awesome!

Spas-12s were nice , now just a collectors item really

I'm pretty sure being indoors makes you comfortable already without AC or heat.

Were you guys aware that AOE buffs on blocks only works for existing AOE blocks like campfires, so we'd have to hijack a vanilla block to make cool mods like air conditioners? (See what I did there... Cool mods... Ac's...)

When can we start reporting bugs on the mod side of things? :)

Eh , I have one and they were nice...but are completely blown away by newer shotguns...My Kel-tec KSG which I keep loaded with 12guage mini slugs , holds 25 rounds . Even better , I like my new and cheap(under $600) Tristar KRX semi auto with 10 round magazines...shooting 10 12gauge rounds in a couple of seconds is awesome!

Spas-12s were nice , now just a collectors item really

I don't own any of those, they look powerfull tho! I love the aesthetics of the spas-12, It goes better with the lore than a brand new shotgun IMO, i guess MM and the crew will see what is the right way to go with it! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Were you guys aware that AOE buffs on blocks only works for existing AOE blocks like campfires, so we'd have to hijack a vanilla block to make cool mods like air conditioners? (See what I did there... Cool mods... Ac's...)

OH I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE.

Very funny btw.

When can we start reporting bugs on the mod side of things? :)

I don't see what you did, but I bet it was cool! ;)

Smelting times. Been trying, and failing, to write this out so it's concise. Hoping one of the excellent writers here (MM, Roland, meganoth, Guppy, etc) might rephrase this...

---

To figure out how much wood is needed to smelt common resources like Stone, Raw Iron, Clay Soil, Sand; resources that take 5 seconds per piece to smelt.

Each Wood burns for 50 seconds, so you can simply divide by 10, or move the decimal place one to the left, however you think of it.

So a full stack of Raw Iron, 1200 bits, needs 120 Wood to be fully smelted into the Forge.

Half a stack of Stone, 3000, needs 300 Wood.

---

Truly not intending this to come across as condescending! Just been watching a number of youtubers/streamers and noticed all were just winging it when it came to this bit.

So... yeah. "The Road to He... is paved with good intentions." :rain:

Edit: point of posting this here was maybe it would be useful to add into the Forge Journal entry.

Archived