Is Melee Dead? I think so...

SnakeWildlife

What I think is very sad is that you can't quietly clear a PIO.

I tried it yesterday, but even if you can kill a radioactive zombie with a single headshot from a crossbow, the other zombies in the room are waking up from the sounds the zombie made while dying.

It's a stealth issue. It worked very fine in A17 experimental (too fine...), but it's not good now. However, I think it's better when some sleepers wake up if you don't have the stealth skills, but yes, at the moment, they all wake up and stealth seems to need some adjustment.

Be carefull, crossbow is noiser than bow. I don't use it when I explore POI.

As for melee, I'll post a video later where you'll see that you can fight in a vast POI without using guns. Of course it needs a lot of bandages, but who cares, they cost nothing :).

You can already set all zombies to "always walk". I'm finding it hard to see more ways to make the game even easier.

I was doing perfectly fine in b240 without all the recent nerfs (to difficulty) and I know I'm not the best player around.

I agree here. You should have done more to stop the 17.1 nonsense because somehow you have amazingly made me MISS b240 when i raged against it at release.

Come on Gazz, throw yourself on a live grenade for our sakes!

4) Melee attacks are slow, which is a hassle when dealing with any sort of group and makes the club and knife bonuses of dealing more damages with successive hits feel pretty pointless since you usually don't want to be in combat with a single zed that long.

Flurry of Blows + Skullcrusher + a decent Re-enforced Club = melee ownage

Warning: Try this and you will never, ever go back to the Sledgehammer.

You can put as many points into melee as you want but without a rad remover in your club or hammer it's hard to kill a radioactive zombie that will regenerate pretty quickly after a hit.

Not without a head it won't....

I love playing melee but I also agree with you. It would be awesome if perks gave us some more acrobatic or deft moves such as kicking, dodges, parties, etc. even a move to sidestep a zombie’s swipe if timed right and then be able to bash them on the side of the head would be awesome.

There is some fun to darting in and out and consistently getting the timing perfect on the sledgehammer is quite satisfying but there definitely are some great examples of melee fighting TFP could take as inspiration for perks if what we have now could be called basic Day 1 fighting moves. In addition, those who don’t want the game to feel too arcady with special fight combos wouldn’t have to see them or learn them if they were locked behind perks.

Finishing moves! :fat:

You can put as many points into melee as you want but without a rad remover in your club or hammer it's hard to kill a radioactive zombie that will regenerate pretty quickly after a hit.

In addition, you rarely have to deal with only one radioactive zombie at the same time. Most of the time I have 2-5 on my heels and a few ferals on top of that. This is something different than when you have to do it with a single radioactive zombie.

In the video you can see that the player with two radioactive zombies already has some problems and has to get the shotgun out.

As promised, I made a video using only the bow and the club. As you can see, I'm really not good at melee, but the skills do the job.

Look at the second video.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?107645-Enjoying-Alpha-17-in-videos&p=937514&viewfull=1#post937514

Is melee dead?

I dunno, I'll tell you after I clear this POI with my steel armor and flaming sledgehammer. I'm too busy smashing in skulls and power swinging stunned zombies, and sweeping back multiple Zs AoE style to really give the "melee is dead" much credence.

I like getting 130 in stamina too. That little extra allows more power swings to start getting back 50 stamina on kills. Nothing I like too much in the agility area so more points would be a waste.

Posts like this is what kept me away from a17 for so long. I was truly convinced the developers made all these awful game breaking changes, when in fact, turns out, most of the changes make a lot of sense. A17 is like a new game in a lot of ways, but a far superior game in my honest opinion. Yeah there's a lot of bugs and such, obviously, but the new mod system is great. The skill system, which I was convinced was terrible (largely in part due to similar styled posts), turns out to be pretty damn decent. It actually makes you think about what you're going to invest in, a purpose to earning xp. I think most people play for an hour, bitch about the game actually having some difficulty now, and then never bother to understand the changes the developers made. (Myself included). Once you advance a few levels, melee becomes much more efficient. In fact, I barely ever used melee before A17, but now that I understand the mod system and such, I've begun to use it almost exclusively.

It's a zombie apocalypse for christ sake.. You shouldn't be able to take on a horde of zombies with a club and then fly off in your gyrocopter the first time, every time.

Aside from the really annoying music, that was awesome. I really want to try that, especially since the swing speed of punching is pretty good.

Anyway, melee ain't dead. I'm still crushing it with my flaming sledge (though I have started to carry a gun for those rad spiders and rad bikers).

Aside from the really annoying music, that was awesome. I really want to try that, especially since the swing speed of punching is pretty good.

Anyway, melee ain't dead. I'm still crushing it with my flaming sledge (though I have started to carry a gun for those rad spiders and rad bikers).

A few saves ago I would literally go out and provoke screamers, drink beer or moonshine and punch radiated zombies for fun with my level over 100. Melee is definitely not dead.

As promised, I made a video using only the bow and the club. As you can see, I'm really not good at melee, but the skills do the job.

Look at the second video.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?107645-Enjoying-Alpha-17-in-videos&p=937514&viewfull=1#post937514

Using perks to permanently stunlock all enemies = Melee works?

This is why i am disappointed in the people argueing for melee being good.

Well im sorry but i have to disagree. Thats a pretty terrible system and going around perma-stunning anything would be seen to many in all kinds of games as either exploitive or downright terrible game design. 7D2D is not a special snowflake that gets a free pass when it comes to making BALANCE.

Infinite stunlock is not balance.

SnakeWildlife, I went back through your posts in this thread, and I can't find a constructive word from you about what you think melee should be. You mostly complained about stamina making it impossible. When people replied how they negated the stamina problem, you said that their argument was invalid. (The funny part here is that you said melee is not a valid "build," which would seem to negate your negation since what they did was build their character in such a way as to avoid the stamina problem of melee. Even funnier, you talked about how you could build an early range character to be effective, emphasis on the "build" part.)

So then, according to you, range is far superior because you don't have to worry about that stuff because you can run away and kite them and...wait for it...STUN them with your shots. Interesting.

While we're here, hitting your opponent so fast and hard that they have no time/opportunity to hit you back is an excellent boxing tactic. The problem is that you open yourself up to a tough beating in return if it doesn't work. You'll notice that Hek Harris did take some licks in that video.

So, maybe be better at arguing?

I melee about 98% of non-bloodmoon play. I don't like the "all-or-nothing" aspect of the sledge, so it's all club. Once you get the needed perks all in place (yeah, there's a lot if you want to battle irradiateds), and a full set of Steel with Heavy armor maxed out, you can actually tank a bit when needed. Avoid/kite/shoot the damn biker zombies if they double-team you.

-Morloc

@Snake, you sure love saying everything people are saying that makes melee works are stupid and wrong, but not saying anything that you think balances it. Melee is the only reason I survive versus rad-armies on survivalists solo. Guns, sure, but that's going to eat more ammo than I have RL time to farm for. Since you negated everything so far, I guess your "balancing" would be to make melee a 1-hit kill AOE that requires a general aiming? Lol

Strenght of course, for the melee damages. Then Skull Crusher for the bonus when hitting the head. Sex T. and cardio (agility) for the stamina. If you choose the club : flurry of blows. Sledge hammer ? Heavy Metal. Machette ? Deep Cuts. Stay down ! can wait but is usefull too.

In parallel but less urgent, pain tolerance & light or heavy armor.

And imods for your favorite weapon, they are unavoidable.

Strenght of course, for the melee damages. Then Skull Crusher for the bonus when hitting the head. Sex T. and cardio (agility) for the stamina. If you choose the club : flurry of blows. Sledge hammer ? Heavy Metal. Machette ? Deep Cuts. Stay down ! can wait but is usefull too.

In parallel but less urgent, pain tolerance & light or heavy armor.

And imods for your favorite weapon, they are unavoidable.

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!

Archived