"MasterChef" lol

hotpoon

Show me an adult who doesn't know how to make bacon and eggs, and I'll show you a liar. You might not be able to cook bacon and eggs well. Maybe you end up undercooking the bacon and overcooking the eggs, but I'm pretty sure you can figure out the basic functionality of throwing it in a pot and applying heat.

Why not instead allow people to make bacon and eggs without the perk, but without points in MasterChef, there will be a chance of obtaining food poisoning, or not getting the max nutrients out of what you cook?

Just a thought.

Without getting into the semantics of "realism vs game balance" I will say that current system is lacking.

It will always be mediocre until they get food spoilage in. After that they could have every fresh recipe available at the start and Master Chef changed to Food Preservation.

Without getting into the semantics of "realism vs game balance" I will say that current system is lacking.

It will always be mediocre until they get food spoilage in. After that they could have every fresh recipe available at the start and Master Chef changed to Food Preservation.

And there is a great idea!

Totally agree. The real problem in cooking is hygiene. Many novice cooks - and even competent ones - ignore extremely basic hygiene rules.

I agree that it would be more fun if, without skill, we could cook bacon and eggs, but with a probability of getting good diarrhea.

Show me an adult who doesn't know how to make bacon and eggs, and I'll show you a liar. You might not be able to cook bacon and eggs well. Maybe you end up undercooking the bacon and overcooking the eggs, but I'm pretty sure you can figure out the basic functionality of throwing it in a pot and applying heat.

Why not instead allow people to make bacon and eggs without the perk, but without points in MasterChef, there will be a chance of obtaining food poisoning, or not getting the max nutrients out of what you cook?

Just a thought.

There is much to improve with cooking for sure.

Is it the name "Bacon and Eggs" that bothers you? If they just changed the name to a food that is a little more challenging like (Quiche or frittata) would that solve the problem?

Or do you just not like a tiered recipe system?

Is it the name "Bacon and Eggs" that bothers you? If they just changed the name to a food that is a little more challenging like (Quiche or frittata) would that solve the problem?

Quiche requires flour or something to use for the base, so isn't comparable. A frittata is even easier to make...if you even know what it is. My husband insists that frittata is the same thing as an omelette. I get what you're asking though. Yes, I think it is the name 'bacon and eggs' that bothers me.

I don't mind tiered recipes in perks, but I'd like it more if you could learn more advanced recipes by looting a recipe book.

I concur, better skill should result in better benefits, higher success chance, fewer resources consumed and lower preparation time. Not suddenly being able to prepare things you couldn't even attempt to make before.

I concur, better skill should result in better benefits, higher success chance, fewer resources consumed and lower preparation time. Not suddenly being able to prepare things you couldn't even attempt to make before.

Apply to all skills in game => enjoy fixed skill system.

You aren't going to cook a quiche in a pot over a campfire, so your sarcastic reply seems to be lacking in actual merit.

I do not believe that anyone mentioned not liking a tiered recipe system except for you, so maybe you would like to tell us why you dislike it so much?

I believe it is an issue with some foods that most high school students with two weeks in home ec. would consider pretty "basic" to be something that you are not able to craft without the perk.

I do, however, agree with your agreement that there is much to improve with cooking. It's the projection I can't get on board with.

This is a perfect example of “give an inch and they’ll take a mile”. All the complaints were for being able to boil eggs without a perk. Now that that’s granted you want bacon and eggs too?

It’s a game and bacon and eggs have significant benefits over the basic perkless foods. Spend the point and move on. I highly doubt TFP is going to give up any more on this than they did.

Just a thought.

This is an excellent suggestion. We can have several tiers of Bacon and Eggs, with increasing stamina benefits and decreasing chance of food poisoning. It will be much easier to balance than the current "can cook/cannot cook" system and it will be more intuitive, too.

This is a perfect example of “give an inch and they’ll take a mile”....

Well, to make A17 feeling again like a open world sandbox a mile is by far not enough.

Understand me right, with enough skillpoints at start and a few Gates removed the game is fun again.

But this means finally that you remove all these gating stuff. So yes, A17 Exagerates some gates far far far more than a "mile"

even if the sollution is so small as 10-20 skillpoints

Just a thought.

My 34 year old spouse(incapable of making bacon into anything else then charcoal, 50% success rate at eggs).

My 37 year old friend(fails at bacon part).

Also, balance, if you want to cook, invest in the skill, you can't say even bacon and eggs are basic knowledge, because it does take a bit of practice to get it right.

Regular plain meat or boiled egg are different stories and its hard to make that wrong.

The problem with this is that there are other people who do prefer perks to be new abilities and not just incrementally better versions of what you can already do. We already have complaints of perk tiers that are just 10, 20, 30, 40 percent gains in some base ability calling them uninspired and asking the devs to instead make the perks be new abilities instead.

I don’t want to make burnt bacon and eggs, good bacon and eggs, and great bacon and eggs with each spending of a point. I like that the points unlock new recipes we didn’t have before. It’s what gives me incentive to spend the point there rather than elsewhere.

Well, to make A17 feeling again like a open world sandbox a mile is by far not enough.

Actually much less than a mile. Simply one toggle in the options menu is all that is required to make A17 into an open world sandbox. You’ve just got the wrong mode selected for how you want to play.

This is a perfect example of “give an inch and they’ll take a mile”. All the complaints were for being able to boil eggs without a perk. Now that that’s granted you want bacon and eggs too?

It’s a game and bacon and eggs have significant benefits over the basic perkless foods. Spend the point and move on. I highly doubt TFP is going to give up any more on this than they did.

Lol, gees Roland, you make it sound like I'm saying "WHAT DO WANT? BACON AND EGGS! WHEN DO WE WANT IT? NOW!"

I've given a fair suggestion of how TFP can keep the MasterChef perk, but make it more logical. Use it. Don't use it.

Actually much less than a mile. Simply one toggle in the options menu is all that is required to make A17 into an open world sandbox. You’ve just got the wrong mode selected for how you want to play.

You mean creative mode

Not really

* The inability to make any food except boiled eggs and burned meat has not much to do with a challenge

* The inability to carry your loot to your base and then to a trader has not much to do with a challenge (inA16 i had one central loot stash in a town, in A17 i have a crate each 2nd house)

* The inability to stay at gamestart in desert or Snow biome has not much to do with a challenge. Its only force you to move at startgame in a other.

* The inability to swing your tools without breaks ....

i guess we see a pattern ?!

I don’t want to make burnt bacon and eggs, good bacon and eggs, and great bacon and eggs with each spending of a point. I like that the points unlock new recipes we didn’t have before. It’s what gives me incentive to spend the point there rather than elsewhere.

You know what would be awesome? As you make the bacon and eggs, they have a chance to be ♥♥♥♥ty but as you make more, then you start making them better and better. Some kind of proficiency in cooking... like, you "learn" by "doing" them. The points you spend would be there to get/learn more recipes or even add ingredients to the existing ones to make them better, though their "quality" would depend on your proficiency.

I'd support a system like this and pray for those people dying on those hills that they understand that there is no need for death in a situation like this. It's a game. ;)

Just a thought.

as much as i want to agree, I seriously have a friend who would fail horribly at trying to make bacon and eggs. infact he is 40 years old and didnt even know how to make a grilled cheese for his kid when his girl was sick.

as much as i want to agree, I seriously have a friend who would fail horribly at trying to make bacon and eggs. infact he is 40 years old and didnt even know how to make a grilled cheese for his kid when his girl was sick.

Do you really want to still call him "friend" after learning that? XD

You mean creative mode

Not really

* The inability to make any food except boiled eggs and burned meat has not much to do with a challenge

* The inability to carry your loot to your base and then to a trader has not much to do with a challenge (inA16 i had one central loot stash in a town, in A17 i have a crate each 2nd house)

* The inability to stay at gamestart in desert or Snow biome has not much to do with a challenge. Its only force you to move at startgame in a other.

* The inability to swing your tools without breaks ....

i guess we see a pattern ?!

Man you literally pointed out the challenges. If its something that hampers you, and costs you to re-evaluate your game style and cant easily be bypassed..... SURPRISE! Its called a challenge.

Interested though, what constitutes an actual challenge for you if those arent?

Man you literally pointed out the challenges. If its something that hampers you, and costs you to re-evaluate your game style and cant easily be bypassed..... SURPRISE! Its called a challenge.

Interested though, what constitutes an actual challenge for you if those arent?

Make food a challenge ....

1: This need spoilage or a balance between the survival of a casual and empty Storage of a pro gamer is impossible

2: Set growing rate of crops to 60 Ingame days

3: Set food prices at traders to something like 2000 Coins for a 100% meal

4:

a: Remove recipes that use infected Meat

b: Remove infected meat from all Harvesting tables

c: As soon as Infected meat is in the same container as food this food becomes infected too (except cans)

d: As soon as you hit a Zombie with a melee Weapon/tool the melee weapon becomes "infected"

e: Harvesting food with a infected weapon/tool make this food infected

f: Make cans and tools cleanable

g: If zombies touching your crops the crops become infected

Means every action i do have consequences, the challenge is to avoid the bad ones. And by that i dont mean slaughter 50 zombies and spend a few skillpoints

Lol, gees Roland, you make it sound like I'm saying "WHAT DO WANT? BACON AND EGGS! WHEN DO WE WANT IT? NOW!"

I've given a fair suggestion of how TFP can keep the MasterChef perk, but make it more logical. Use it. Don't use it.

It was a fair suggestion. Sorry if I came on too strongly. I still think that perks as new abilities or recipes is better than perks as better tiers of the same base ability. If the devs switched to your suggestion or even Random Dude's LBD plug I'm sure I would adapt and have fun as well.

Archived