"MasterChef" lol

hotpoon

It was a fair suggestion. Sorry if I came on too strongly. I still think that perks as new abilities or recipes is better than perks as better tiers of the same base ability. If the devs switched to your suggestion or even Random Dude's LBD plug I'm sure I would adapt and have fun as well.

No problem.

This is a nice explanation, particularly the bit about breaking up the difficulty into smaller chunks because it becomes grindy when it takes too long to see improvement. I would rather have lots of tiny improvements than a few big jumps in skill. At the risk of harping on about my love affair with 'Learn By Doing'...that's one of the things it had going for it. Constant little levels ups = constant little rewards and feelings of satisfaction. Psychologically the heart of an RPG and its appeal is improving your character.

Everything is radiated and there is no longer spoilage like there used to be. This is why the dead are running around, they just won't spoil!

Lol, true that. In real life maggots would make short work of zombies.

Why don't you just eat charred meat or boiled eggs. Its not that bacon and eggs are complicated, but they are a multi ingredient recipe which has much more benefits that single ingredient recipes, therefore a higher tier item. I could call it "eggs bendict" which would be the same thing game wise, but perhaps feel more immersive as it is harder to prepare IRL.

Well, no you can't really call it eggs benedict because that requires some sort of dough for the base, and extra ingredients for the hollandaise sauce. I can understand your reasoning though. You are basically posing the same question to me that HungryZombie did. What if it was a harder recipe than bacon eggs, but also just used the 2 ingredients, meat and eggs? Like I said to HungryZombie, though, I'd rather loot recipe books for more complicated recipes, and maybe put points into MasterChef to increase the benefits of the food, but maybe that's just me.

I have got to say, the first time I try to make bacon and egg and I couldn't make it, it feels weird and wtf. But then I realize, if INT 1= total retard, then may be 0/5 in Master chief is a total retard in cooking too. So I guess given 1/5 and you can make bacon and egg... I can accept that.

Everyone is able to charr some meat or boil an egg, if in doubt, consume raw, explosive discharging of nutrients through various body orifices might ensue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Some even can make bacon and eggs without a recipe.

But moving a recipe between perk tiers is an easy fix.

Hovever I don't see why we can't have both?

For more complicated foods, level the perk, new recipes unlocked.

For the existing recipies you have a PROC for it to have higher benefits and to use less ingredients.

Cooking igredients spoil depending on storage temperature. (Hygiene would be too much, we have a temperature system, but no hygiene system)

Food spoils depending on storage temperature and perk level.

Additional perks can be added for preservation (cure meat, pickle eggs...)

I'd acutally prefer a dynamic progression though. Cook, cooking increases, mine, mining increases.

I am not a big fan of: kill 1000 zeds, now you can assemble a computer.

Anyways my biggest beef is the waste of water when cooking.

I mean how bad do you have to be to cook an egg in water and be left without water? Does it taste good? Who cares, the water is almost sterile afterwards, so you should be able to boil an egg with murky water and you should get the water back.

Man you literally pointed out the challenges. If its something that hampers you, and costs you to re-evaluate your game style and cant easily be bypassed..... SURPRISE! Its called a challenge.

Interested though, what constitutes an actual challenge for you if those arent?

Probably digging a tunnel in sand.. ;)

On the subject of food, I think we need to do something about the cornbread. As a southerner, I've made hundreds, maybe thousands, of cakes of cornbread in my life (I love cornbread), and not once was it ever just water and corn meal. Water and corn meal alone doesn't make a cake of cornbread, it makes a frisbee. Now, I'm not saying we need to add buttermilk to the game, or even an egg to the recipe, but water and corn meal, when cooked in a pot, makes grits. For those of y'all that don't know what a "grit" is...

I know, I know. Grits ain't the same as corn meal. :D

On the subject of food, I think we need to do something about the cornbread. As a southerner, I've made hundreds, maybe thousands, of cakes of cornbread in my life (I love cornbread), and not once was it ever just water and corn meal. Water and corn meal alone doesn't make a cake of cornbread, it makes a frisbee. Now, I'm not saying we need to add buttermilk to the game, or even an egg to the recipe, but water and corn meal, when cooked in a pot, makes grits. For those of y'all that don't know what a "grit" is...

I know, I know. Grits ain't the same as corn meal. :D

It would be more of a Cornbread Kush, but it does require some oil (bacon fat would work, so mebbe 1 meat)

oh, and yes, charred meat is what you get, until you figure out how to do grilled. :)

Here I thought this discussion was about how useless master chef is since we can just buy amazing good from vending machines. Why do we even have this perk if we can just buy the food? I know I stopped hunting animals once they made food available in vending machines hell I don't even bother with a farm since we don't loose max hp or max stamina from death anymore.

Here I thought this discussion was about how useless master chef is since we can just buy amazing good from vending machines. Why do we even have this perk if we can just buy the food? I know I stopped hunting animals once they made food available in vending machines hell I don't even bother with a farm since we don't loose max hp or max stamina from death anymore.

I have to say that I am coming around to the idea that vending machines should be one-time loot containers, like refrigerators, and Traders should be severely nerfed of food to make farming a more necessary activity. Either that, or they should only sell canned goods and boiled water but none of the prepared foods. Maybe make this a game setting option?

(And exactly who is restocking these vending machines anyway?)

No problem.Well, no you can't really call it eggs benedict because that requires some sort of dough for the base, and extra ingredients for the hollandaise sauce. I can understand your reasoning though. You are basically posing the same question to me that HungryZombie did. What if it was a harder recipe than bacon eggs, but also just used the 2 ingredients, meat and eggs? Like I said to HungryZombie, though, I'd rather loot recipe books for more complicated recipes, and maybe put points into MasterChef to increase the benefits of the food, but maybe that's just me.

Maybe it's a gluten-free Eggs Benedict made from an emulsion of bacon fat & egg whites. Just don't ask me where the hollandaise sauce comes from.

Just playing. I think now we are hitting the limits of the game. Sure I guess they could bump bacon & eggs down a tier but then why would anyone make boiled eggs or grilled meat? They could change it to an omelet and add mushrooms to the recipe but then getting mushrooms early on is very hard. They have only so many ingredients available at the moment. This is the room for improvement i mentioned earlier. :)

If you think about it, are any of the recipes in the game really hard? Veggie stew? Throw everything in a pot with some water. Not that hard. There's no spices or salt in the game so we are all eating bland yucky stew if you want to take this logic to it's natural progression.

It would be nice if cooking were more fleshed out but to me it's not bad enough to call broken. Limited is how I'd describe it.

You know Frittata and Eggs Benedict which puts you in the top percentile of people i know. Are you a chef/cook by any chance?

If you think about it, are any of the recipes in the game really hard? Veggie stew? Throw everything in a pot with some water. Not that hard. There's no spices or salt in the game so we are all eating bland yucky stew if you want to take this logic to it's natural progression.

So true

You know Frittata and Eggs Benedict which puts you in the top percentile of people i know. Are you a chef/cook by any chance?

Nah, I just enjoy cooking and I also like to watch...wait for it...MasterChef! :D

Maybe instead of locking the recipes behind the perk, the perk lowers the number of mats used?

a lot of people are spazing out over 5 meat = 1 chard meat. At the same time they are upset that you need 1 point of the perk for bacon and eggs. So maybe unlock basic recipes, but have the perk lesson materials and unlock other recipes at higher levels? I also think that living off the land and the huntsman perk need to be merged.

I also think that living off the land and the huntsman perk need to be merged.

They actually started out merged but after testing they were separated into the two different perks and then further tested. This was all during the month before A17 experimental released. Just thought I'd let you know that the devs had tried those two perks merged and separate and they chose separate.

Maybe instead of locking the recipes behind the perk, the perk lowers the number of mats used?

a lot of people are spazing out over 5 meat = 1 chard meat. At the same time they are upset that you need 1 point of the perk for bacon and eggs. So maybe unlock basic recipes, but have the perk lesson materials and unlock other recipes at higher levels? I also think that living off the land and the huntsman perk need to be merged.

I don't think looking at it as 5 meat = 1 charred meat is the right perspective. You have to look at it as I get 4 or 5 charred meats from a deer. How many meals do you think one animal kill should give you? I'm NOT talking real life, I mean in a gameplay sense. I'm not trying to lead you to the answer, I'm really asking. Do you think 1 animal a day should be enough? 1 every few days?

I got like 20 meat off a deer that would be 20 portions of charred meat. I think that's excessive.

Still room for improvement maybe but it's not too bad from my perspective.

@Threadstarter: Show me an adult who doesn't know how to make bacon and eggs, and I'll show you a liar.

my husband cant cook - first his mother cooked for him, then his girlfriends, then i am as his wife...

When i was in hospital for 2 weeks he lifed from pizza service and restaurant...

My husband is 50 cears old -he had never to cook so he dont even try... the best he can make is put a buyed frozen pizza in the ofen and sometimes it itsnt Coal or still frozen,. Precooked Meal put in Mircowave without detailed information about minutes, heat : its cold or dry... and cooking for me isnt putting pre cooked in the ofen or use the microwave...

I asked my husband why he cant cook anything - he told me he never had to do : always others done it fpr him (Mother, friends, Restaurant). Its ok - if you can affort someone who do the job for you - why should he learn it...

Archived