Explain to me why should I ever build a base in PVE?

MaxTunnerX

One of my old bases, never to be used again. Sad.

I did build this all ligit, no creative mode.

I managed to build out a 10 story apartment building on the largest part. That was the most building I ever did on a single base. It took probably 300 hours total when I stopped playing that map.

Yes, Royal, your mod is awesome, but it's sadly just a fix for something that doesn't need to be broken at all in the first place.

i know, and it was not the reason why i made this modlet in the first line. Lets name it "a nice sideffect" that allows to build scyscrapper you thrust the foundation

I mean, I build wood/cobblestone bases on Survivalist for bloodmoons for the first 3 or 4 horde nights and none have even been breached. Occasionally lose a single block in the outer wall, but spikes + base works just fine. I guess if you just want a pretty house with no spikes I can see that impossible.

I guess the only problem is that there is a percentage of players that like to have a safe base.

And i can completly understand that TFP have problems to satisfie both sides

* One side want safe bases and say "Steel means steel means F-Off zombies"

* The other side says "Its tower defense" undestroyable blocks fit not in such a kind of game

Different to the stamina aka "World covered in glue" issue and the in a few weeks upcoming "No Falldamage"gate i can live with a "mod it" as answer

I mean, tower defense... is kinda in the description in the game... and the advertisements for it.. "Build and defend your home".. Not what "the other side" says, it's what the devs said was in the game. But I guess that's what modding is for, and if you prefer to be in a safe-bubble I guess the option's there and I'm glad for ya, but it doesn't mean it's "broken" heh. It's what the game is meant to be.

I mean, tower defense... is kinda in the description in the game... and the advertisements for it.. "Build and defend your home".. Not what "the other side" says, it's what the devs said was in the game. But I guess that's what modding is for, and if you prefer to be in a safe-bubble I guess the option's there and I'm glad for ya, but it doesn't mean it's "broken" heh. It's what the game is meant to be.

Just for your info a few days ago TFP confirmed that tower defense will be optional in the future, aka people will be able to turn off blood moons etc. And yes, the game will still be called tower defense after that with the same logic it is still called "survival horde crafting game" when you can turn on godmode, turn off zombies and turn on creative menu and not have to craft at all. Game offers it all, no matter how forced or optional it is.

And just like Royal said, zombies can destroy your whole house made of wood or stone just by using fists, thats not really what it should look like anyhow. I could understand if they did this damage while holding an axe/sledgehammer (which is what zombies do in some games), but fists? Come on, fists should only allow them take off your wooden upgrades or dig through dirt and other soft materials.

Just for your info a few days ago TFP confirmed that tower defense will be optional in the future, aka people will be able to turn off blood moons etc.

And just like Royal said, zombies destroy your whole house made of wood or stone just by using fists, thats not really what it should look like anyhow.

FFS, they'll let you disable Blood Moons, but not Digging Zeds.... sometimes I get even more confused after reading their decisions lmao

Funny thing is that you can't even describe the game to anyone else, because every alpha is a different game and once in a while it goes back to what it once was.

Anyway, if they balance the zeds/bases properly, digging zeds won't be a problem at all. After all, building underground was a hotfix for unbalanced system getting you rekt on the surface.

Why?

A) Make a base for your extra stuff (storage) and a place to cook/forge/craft during downtime (doesn't have to be big or elaborate)

B) Make a base for your sleeping bag so you have a place to spawn on when you die (can be the roof of a POI, just as long as it won't be destroyed/zombies have no reason to check it out)

C) Make a base on a platform in a hole with stairs going to the top, but make the stairs 3 or 4 blocks away from the platform so you have a place to stand and shoot zombies from during blood moon. (Zombies still run up the stairs and jump off or attack the stairs and not the platform, like in A16 because there is NO PATH to you they can reach)

When Cops and other more elite zombies show up, worst case is your platform gets ruined, but all your stuff is in Base A and your sleeping bag is in Base B so no issues.

So no reason to make a base, but plenty of reasons to make 2 or 3 "bases".

All 3 Bases can be somewhat near each other for convenience.

Funny thing is that you can't even describe the game to anyone else, because every alpha is a different game and once in a while it goes back to what it once was.

Anyway, if they balance the zeds/bases properly, digging zeds won't be a problem at all. After all, building underground was a hotfix for unbalanced system getting you rekt on the surface.

I honestly don't care at all if zeds dig, I've never been an underground builder and they haven't really been an issue in my mines. It's just crazy that they say that they want zeds to dig so you're not safe and can't hide from the horde night, then in return say that you might be able to toggle off horde night.... like wtf, is this crazytown lmao

Just for your info (I don't care? That's good for you I guess)

And just like Royal said, zombies can destroy your whole house made of wood or stone just by using fists, thats not really what it should look like anyhow. I could understand if they did this damage while holding an axe/sledgehammer (which is what zombies do in some games), but fists? Come on, fists should only allow them take off your wooden upgrades or dig through dirt and other soft materials.

Okay so let's ban everything but plant fiber houses if that's your issue lol. What tower defense game - or a game that implements base building and things that destroy it - let's you build a single wall and say, "Welp! you win! Melee damage, according to realism, doesn't break anything that's wood and above, so good job you win!" But, that's how you enjoy it so we'll leave it at that. I mean, if they made it to where zombies can't break things using fists, then either they start using rocket launchers or every player will win the game within 10 minutes. Chop a couple trees, slap a 3x3 wooden enclosure, and boom! Win!

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly don't care at all if zeds dig, I've never been an underground builder and they haven't really been an issue in my mines. It's just crazy that they say that they want zeds to dig so you're not safe and can't hide from the horde night, then in return say that you might be able to toggle off horde night.... like wtf, is this crazytown lmao

I think that's just desperation to quell the "omg my pretty, undefended house keeps getting boo-boos on it!" crowd lol

HungryZombie asked me a question in another thread that was really helpful. It seems possibly applicable here; Edit: after I considered his question this was what I came up with; wasn't intending it to sound as if this was HZ's question or opinion.

"I would really like to be more actively involved in defending during the blood moon hordes.

I'd welcome some risk. I don't want traps doing all the work."

My opinion here; putting out a sea of spikes is simply boring to me. Standing somewhere plinking zombies where you're basically completely safe I find boring. Why bother building a "base" if it never gets a scratch? But at the same time why bother building a base if you'd be just as safe with an open camp in the middle of a sea of spikes?

I'm not saying revert to a16, but I do think a16 had at least some magic sauce 'balance' when it came to building & defending bases that a17 doesn't have right now. And I'm really hoping the devs find some more of that magic.

It's just crazy that they say that they want zeds to dig so you're not safe and can't hide from the horde night, then in return say that you might be able to toggle off horde night.... like wtf, is this crazytown lmao

Well, did they really say the only reason for digging Z's is horde night safety? Maybe they were talking about the safety all week long?

Archived