Explain to me why should I ever build a base in PVE?

MaxTunnerX

Lol I was just about to tell him how you probably meant it. Anyway, thing is that I don't know if the name was chosen specifically for this reason or not. Even without TD the name would still be normal and valid for a zombie game. Lastly, every other aspect in the game you can toggle on/off (survival, horde, crafting).

You need to look at things as a new player. You have a game. It's called 7 days to die. The banner says "Zombie Horde Crafting Game", there is a zombie horde that comes on the 7th day....

Just add it up into an impression of what you'd think the game is about.

What they meant 5 yrs ago on a kickstarter is not going to drive todays players impression.

- - - Updated - - -

Do traps give XP? Because if not there is no concrete reason within the mechanics of the game to build a base.

The reason to build is because it's the only thing that's really fun to do, consistently, long after the challenges the game throws at you stop being challenging. It is the primary reason I play. You don't need to build one to survive BM. You just need a 2-story POI and time enough to knock out a staircase.

The problem with this game is there is no reason within the game to do the best thing in the game.

I can give a reason. I don't like running around with running zombies chasing after me.

Now if you set it to walk at night then I'd agree with you.

Unless you mean there is no reason for YOU to build a base, then well I can't disagree since it's your opinion.

But you don't know that the zombie horde comes the on 7th day until it comes. Until that time you don't know what it is that is going to kill you. Some players expect their character to simply die by midnight....

Which brings me to one of the other replies, the death can be caused by a million other things, not neccesarily by the horde. Devs can make you infected on day one, similar to Far Cry 2's malaria, and if you don't cure yourself you die or whatever. Or every 7th day can be randomized with a different catastrophe to attempt to kill you.

Simply put, 7 days to die doesn't translate into "horde of zombies comes and kills you". It can be whatever the devs want it to be and the name will not lose any magic.

Do traps give XP? Because if not there is no concrete reason within the mechanics of the game to build a base.

The reason to build is because it's the only thing that's really fun to do, consistently, long after the challenges the game throws at you stop being challenging. It is the primary reason I play. You don't need to build one to survive BM. You just need a 2-story POI and time enough to knock out a staircase.

The problem with this game is there is no reason within the game to do the best thing in the game.

IMO the biggest challenge with A17 is TFP, with a heavy hand, decided people should and shouldn't play in certain ways.

* You shouldn't hide from a horde underground.

* You shouldn't be able to become invulnerable even though there's little other goal in the game.

However... If we're talking Tower Defense... It's pretty much spot on in a REALLY painful way.

* You build a defense, see if it survives and you survive.

* If you survive, the game gets harder.

* If you die, everyone's absolute favorite thing to do!, game stage, at least it used to, lowers and it balances you out to try again.

Now that I think of it... hmm... New thread time! :D

I can give a reason. I don't like running around with running zombies chasing after me.

Now if you set it to walk at night then I'd agree with you.

Unless you mean there is no reason for YOU to build a base, then well I can't disagree since it's your opinion.

You don't need a base to do that. You need a platform that is higher than a zed can jump, and enough walls that they can't knock it over during BM. Thankfully there are hundreds of such platforms in every map.

How little does basebuilding matter? Below is my crafting base. It is outside next to the trader. This is because there is no reason to hide a crafting base. Nothing ever attacks the crafting stations. Witches just bring me XP pinatas. In MP this might not be viable.

251570_20190108122605_1.jpg.ada9af8d36952d91c4ae8f800aa07942.jpg

This is a fun base I am building for fun. I don't know if I will ever use it to BM. I will undoubtedly give it a shot when (if) it is done. Gathering resources for concrete takes so long, I have no idea if it will be. Probably not. I suppose it depends on if the next patch breaks saves.

251570_20190108122544_1.jpg.32a2ab4898848ea4c32eb2c3872f74d3.jpg

My BM base is a simple 2-story house that has lasted with very minimal repair. I will not be repairing it for this BM because it is kaput. I will probably just use the house next door to make a simple shooting platform, and wait for dumb zombies to stream in so I can execute them. There is no reason to waste all the effort I spent gathering thousands of stone, just for zombies to knock down my for-fun base.

7 Days to Find a 2-Story POI: The Stairway Elimination Game

You don't need a base to do that. You need a platform that is higher than a zed can jump, and enough walls that they can't knock it over during BM. Thankfully there are hundreds of such platforms in every map.

How little does basebuilding matter? Below is my crafting base. It is outside next to the trader. This is because there is no reason to hide a crafting base. Nothing ever attacks the crafting stations. Witches just bring me XP pinatas. In MP this might not be viable.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26982[/ATTACH]

This is a fun base I am building for fun. I don't know if I will ever use it to BM. I will undoubtedly give it a shot when (if) it is done. Gathering resources for concrete takes so long, I have no idea if it will be. Probably not. I suppose it depends on if the next patch breaks saves.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26983[/ATTACH]

My BM base is a simple 2-story house that has lasted with very minimal repair. I will not be repairing it for this BM because it is kaput. I will probably just use the house next door to make a simple shooting platform, and wait for dumb zombies to stream in so I can execute them. There is no reason to waste all the effort I spent gathering thousands of stone, just for zombies to knock down my for-fun base.

Platform & Walls. Um.. isn't that a base though? I'm confused.

Actually I have heard different stories about how that name came about

Short addendum: Got info from someone who was around in the early alphas and there every night was horde night and it really took 7 days for an infection to kill you. Probably nobody except the Fun Pimps themselves knows whether that was the original idea for the name or not.

My point is POIs with more than one story make perfectly good bases for a single BM. Ergo why build one when it takes so long to gather material and assemble the blocks?

Oh ok, I get what you are saying. The POI's make excellent bases I agree. In that case the answer to "why" build is different for anyone. It comes down to why do anything. You don't need to build your own base but some people enjoy it and that's why.

Do you think the game should drive you into making a your own base?

Oh ok, I get what you are saying. The POI's make excellent bases I agree. In that case the answer to "why" build is different for anyone. It comes down to why do anything. You don't need to build your own base but some people enjoy it and that's why.

Do you think the game should drive you into making a your own base?

Not at all. I think the game should provide tangible benefits to building a base. In Minecraft, you make a base (house, whatever) to keep the monster spawns at night outside. And to house all your stuffs etc. but the real reason to make one is to be safe at night. In 7DTD a house is no guarantee; it can even be a liability, as a wall in the path of a zombie is likely to result in that zombie clobbering the wall. It's literally safer to crouch on top of a rock than have a base at ground level.

I only play this game to build, so I need no motivation to build a base. I wish the game would reward me in some way though. It's not like we even have wall decorations or anything fun to put in them. Just boring crates and the anemic paint system.

Archived