Micro stutter is now macro stutter

hotpoon

I've been playing since Alpha 13 or so and actually have this game featured on my Steam profile as my favourite game of all time. It might still end up being a great game, but sadly I can't play more than 30 minutes of A17e before I want to throw up.

The slight micro-stutter that was present in all the Alphas I've played is now pronounced enough to trigger my motion sickness. You can see it easily if you focus on one object (a tree for example) and strafe around it. You will see the object jitter. I'm not the first person to mention this, and no I don't have motion blur on. I've seen several threads about this, including a bug report, and yet it is still not considered a 'known issue' in the patch notes. The last time I brought this up, my comment was deleted, so now time to post an actual thread myself. I will continue bringing this up until it is acknowledged in the known issues because then at least I can rest assured that something will eventually be done about it. I don't want to give up on this game.

Also telling me that the 'field of view slider is not missing, and that it is a development decision" is pretty alarming, because surely the devs wouldn't make such a stupid ass decision willfully.

I haven't noticed the side strafing jitter, but I haven't played the last couple experimental release. I don't like how you slow down when you strafe, while looking, That's just annoying.

But I can't play the game at whatever fov they locked it to, it makes my eyes want to bleed.

hit F1 put in: sg OptionsFieldOfViewNew 90

change 90 to whatever your fov preference is and it's far better. Be prepared to get used to the attack distance as it drastically changes.

Also, you have to do it every time you start the game.

Also telling me that the 'field of view slider is not missing, and that it is a development decision" is pretty alarming, because surely the devs wouldn't make such a stupid ass decision willfully.

This make me laugh... devs do this all the time with their games thinking it's a good idea, but we're all with you on this one... it's stupid and the devs need to smarten up.

As for stutters... welcome to the club. If you haven't already seen this topic, this explains more and when it first started: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?25024-Movement-stutter-frame-lag-while-at-60-fps

I haven't noticed the side strafing jitter, but I haven't played the last couple experimental release. I don't like how you slow down when you strafe, while looking, That's just annoying.

But I can't play the game at whatever fov they locked it to, it makes my eyes want to bleed.

hit F1 put in: sg OptionsFieldOfViewNew 90

change 90 to whatever your fov preference is and it's far better. Be prepared to get used to the attack distance as it drastically changes.

Also, you have to do it every time you start the game.

I have to do the FOV thing and I kept noticing that I'd see and enemy off to the side but when I turned that way and looked his position would be much different. Is that the "attack distance" you are refering to, I just figured it was something about how angles are rendered or something in 3d.

I have to do the FOV thing and I kept noticing that I'd see and enemy off to the side but when I turned that way and looked his position would be much different. Is that the "attack distance" you are refering to, I just figured it was something about how angles are rendered or something in 3d.

No, that's part of the "fish eye" or whatever it is, by changing that fov it just stretches the screen, look at a car, then begin looking away from it, the car will stretch.

I just want the "screen" further away. So the fov makes that happen. It would be nice if just more area was displayed rather than stretching the screen. But not sure if that's doable or honestly, even the effect I'm looking for. fov 90 makes it so my eyes don't feel like they want to bleed. I'm not honestly sure of why that eye strain happens at the default setting. Everything just feels to close to me.

- - - Updated - - -

The FOV was locked because of performance issues when testing. They had originally locked it to 65, but last I checked I think it was 78.

You can just edit your ini file at %appdata%\7DaysToDie\UserOption.ini

OptionsFieldOfView 90

Thanks SylenThunder, good to know.

The FOV was locked because of performance issues when testing. They had originally locked it to 65, but last I checked I think it was 78.

OptionsFieldOfView 90

Nope, still at 65. First thing I do every session is reset it to 75 and I see it jump wider as soon as I enter the command so it is certainly NOT set at 78 default. It is really annoying to have to do this also. I really do not understand their thinking in removing the fov option from us. It does NOT affect performance that I can notice at all.

I believe you can see this as well if you go into 3rd person view. Move forward and back or mouselook and your toon moves smoothly. Strafe and your toon moves not smoothly.

Oh that's interesting. I've been suffering from this stutter problem for so long and I'd really like to alleviate it. It felt like it was caused by some periodic large disk access. Like the game was writing incremental save data to disk. But what you suggest is very different.

OptionsFieldOfView 90

This didn't actually work for me. I changed it to 90 from 65, and when I started a shiny new game it didn't change. I still had to hit f1 and change it. Then about 20 minutes later I get a Null reference error when hitting a surface rock.

I just closed the game.

As for stutters... welcome to the club. If you haven't already seen this topic, this explains more and when it first started: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?25024-Movement-stutter-frame-lag-while-at-60-fps

You reported this in 2015, there are 11 pages of comments, it has gotten significantly worse, and it is still apparently not a 'known issue' in A17 'stable'. I use the word 'stable' very loosely. This is disappointing Fun Pimps.

Microstutters can have a whole range of reasons.

-loading / saving the voxeworld, generating the meshes - access to the harddrive

-pathfinding - building the search graph

-LOD switching

-dynamic texture management

This type of game is way more dynamic that games with prefabricated scenes which mainly rely on pushing polygons to render

---

Limiting the LOD, and taking away an easy way to customize it, is not excusable.

Its a cheap way to make the game perform faster at the expense of a part of the players enjoyment of the game.

You reported this in 2015, there are 11 pages of comments, it has gotten significantly worse, and it is still apparently not a 'known issue' in A17 'stable'. I use the word 'stable' very loosely. This is disappointing Fun Pimps.

I know right? So annoying.

Is this a really common thing?

I've never noticed it.

You're one of the lucky few... my advice is to avoid trying to notice it for as long as possible, cuz once you see it, you can't un-see it and it'll ruin your entire experience.

You're one of the lucky few... my advice is to avoid trying to notice it for as long as possible, cuz once you see it, you can't un-see it and it'll ruin your entire experience.

Haha like the fact that you can always see your nose but your brain tends to ignore it?

Now you can't not see it can you?

You're welcome.

bQh2mdi.gif

Make sure you launch your game through the game launcher, with exclusive full screen mode enabled. For some reason if you don't do this, the game runs like garbage.

Thanks man, I went from 40-50 back to 80 fps. I didn't use this option before and I still had 60-80 fps, but for some reason it dropped to 40-50 fps in one of the last experimental builds. For some reason turning exclusive full screen on pushes my fps back to 80 again. Weird, but I won't complain now lol

Thanks man, I went from 40-50 back to 80 fps. I didn't use this option before and I still had 60-80 fps, but for some reason it dropped to 40-50 fps in one of the last experimental builds. For some reason turning exclusive full screen on pushes my fps back to 80 again. Weird, but I won't complain now lol

Hey it's great to know you found something that worked.

I think I'll give this a try myself.

I don't really care that my FPS has dropped below 60 but hey.... if I can do better I'm going to be happy.

So long as it's better than this....

ZGh4AiD.png

And yes... that is 1.50 Frames per Second.

[A14.3 in the city with the Sewers Mod]

Archived