Can you disable 7 day hordes entirely?

Vomkat

Is there anyway to disable the 7 day horde? I see stuff in the xml about it, but can I just delete it all? Likewise, there is stuff about scaling sleeper spawns, if I delete all that does it just disable sleepers, or do they just spawn as defaults? I really just want to get rid of the 7 day horde, including the awful ugly red sky. I don't want to play tower defense, and the 7 day horde is just annoying. Plus it makes no sense, why would zombies come every 7 days, do they have a stopwatch or something?

There is a way if I recall. I did manage to do it once but it was a long time ago. Unfortunately, there is nothing one can do about the blood moon skyline but you can disable to hordes. It does involve deleting a whole line of code though and I'm not sure if it might affect anything now.

In A16 you can disable the spawning, but you can't turn off the bloodmoon with xml edits. That is hardcoded.

There was a time when you could delete the entirety of the script in the section, but in later iterations this could cause the game to crash on loading.

I circumvented this by leaving a single line that spawned a couple of bunnies.

There are issues though.

Any living zombie in the area will still go feral.

The changes also somehow affect the regular spawning mechanics, and I found that the game was quite capable of spawning a wandering horde just before the bloodmoon.

In early game that can be interesting to say the least.

No idea on the sleeper spawns though, sorry.

A17 will be a whole new kettle of fish though, we will have to wait and see.

Hopefully at some point TFP makes these mechanics more accessible to the ordinary player to mod, or even better....an advanced options tab.

TFP could make a good start by reading the forums. People clearly like certain aspects of the game, and don't like other aspects. A few quick changes would make a lot of people happy, and they could be optional to keep everyone happy.

I have to agree with Vomkat here. I'm not really in favour of the whole TD aspect of the 7 day horde being forced unto players. There are periods where I simply want to just experience the game's world without having to contend with the race to prepare for the 7 day horde. I actually liked it alot back when before there was the 7 day horde, we have to contend with just wandering hordes now and then.

So definitely, if TFPs are able to make the blood moon horde nights an option, it would cater to both player bases.

So definitely, if TFPs are able to make the blood moon horde nights an option, it would cater to both player bases.

Yah, at first it's fine, but then the zombies start glowing and spitting, and honestly it just gets dumb. The most enjoyable day is like day 1, after that the game just gets silly. I just want to play a game where I'm foraging, and on day 50 I'm still focused on getting scrap metal from a tin can... instead of mass producing concrete to purchase rockets to shoot at zombies that aren't even a threat because all they are doing is dying on spikes and I could just avoid them entirely by staying underground so meh why bother.

Yah, at first it's fine, but then the zombies start glowing and spitting, and honestly it just gets dumb. The most enjoyable day is like day 1, after that the game just gets silly. I just want to play a game where I'm foraging, and on day 50 I'm still focused on getting scrap metal from a tin can... instead of mass producing concrete to purchase rockets to shoot at zombies that aren't even a threat because all they are doing is dying on spikes and I could just avoid them entirely by staying underground so meh why bother.

Wait, so are you saying that an enjoyable game is infinitely more nuanced than simply shooting stuff? Then why do so many simpletons play CoD?

Just turn zombie spawning off in the options menu :)

That kinda defeats the purpose then. The main point is that Zombies are a threat as we're out exploring and foraging. But we don't want the situation whereby we're forced to turtle up or defend our base because the Zeds suddenly all become seeker missiles and head straight for us every 7 days.

That kinda defeats the purpose then. The main point is that Zombies are a threat as we're out exploring and foraging. But we don't want the situation whereby we're forced to turtle up or defend our base because the Zeds suddenly all become seeker missiles and head straight for us every 7 days.

Unless you are naked in the middle of nowhere, without any weapon, low on hp, food and water and around dog spawns, zombies aren't really a threat outside of blood moon.

Just turn zombie spawning off in the options menu :)

Yes, but I enjoy the zombies, until they stop being zombies and turn into something from DOOM3.

- - - Updated - - -

zombies aren't really a threat outside of blood moon.

This just brings up the need for more options. Increasing the number of slow normal zombies would increase their threat. There should be hordes of normal zombies, but they shouldn't be glowing, or spitting, or running, or psychic, or punctual.

TFP could make a good start by reading the forums. People clearly like certain aspects of the game, and don't like other aspects. A few quick changes would make a lot of people happy, and they could be optional to keep everyone happy.

Or people could start by reading the main description of the game...being that it is a Tower Defense Game.

I'm all for people changing things to the way they want but expecting the developers to change the nature of their own game that is part of the description of the game is a bit unrealistic as far as expectations go. I'm certain the developers know that some people don't like the tower defense part of the game and they probably wonder why people picked up a tower defense game in the first place.

I hate real time strategy games and guess what there are zero of in my library? It's really not difficult. I just don't buy them. What I don't do is buy one and then go onto their official forums and muse why the devs haven't picked up on the fact that I don't like realtime strategy and could they please put in an option for turn based...

That's my rant but having said that, I wish all who want to change the nature of the game through modding into something they do want all the best luck in the world.

It's ludicrous that these people keep saying "well, this is a tower defense game" and these are the same people who like to dig underground. Come on now, if it's a tower defense game, where are the towers?

This is not a tower defense game.

This is a broken beta of a game that could be really good, but so far isn't very good.

It's ludicrous that these people keep saying "well, this is a tower defense game" and these are the same people who like to dig underground. Come on now, if it's a tower defense game, where are the towers?

This is not a tower defense game.

This is a broken beta of a game that could be really good, but so far isn't very good.

Avoid the rant, stop the crying, read the actual meaning of "Tower Defense Game" -wikipedia-:

Tower defense (TD) is a subgenre of strategy video game where the goal is to defend a player's territories or possessions by obstructing the enemy attackers, usually achieved by placing defensive structures on or along their path of attack. This typically means building a variety of different structures that serve to automatically block, impede, attack or destroy enemies.

But of course the reality of your point of view is not being constructive I guess.

"Game in alpha and some aspects I dont like = TFP are evil and game is bad and broken".

I suggest to grow up in a way that all of us can understand you.

It’s a tower defense game and it’s a voxel game. News Flash: you build the tower that you defend and that tower can be whatever creative shape or form you would like it to be. In A17 it can even be an underground bunker that they will dig to attack.

Maybe you don’t want it to be tower defense but it is at least in part exactly that. The advertising of the game says so, the coding says so, most players who knew what they were buying agree it is so, you’re even trying to mod it so that it ain’t so which really also proves that even you know it to be so.

You don’t think it’s good because you ignored the labeling I guess when you bought it. There’s crafting, hordes, survival, exploration, and tower defense

Have you noticed how the blood moon that causes the zombies to gps to you and attack your position is hard coded into the game?

Psssst: Tower Defense.

It´s also says survival and horde in the description. Both is hardly there, it´s nearly impossible to die of thirst or hunger. So saying it´s tower defence isn´t an argument. It´s a FPS. With a few extras.

Yes, you are right somehow, for now. The only things this game has of Tower defense are traps that aren't even needed if you stand on a skyscrapper and the day 7 horde which doesn't do much if you are smart with your hidding.

Let's hope all of that changes in a17 and we get more of the "Tower defense" part with better AI and stuff. I believe a17 will be better at that than ever before. That is indeed a welcome challenge.

Yes, you can cheese the system but everything is also there to build a base and set up traps and turrets and then defend wave after wave of zombies.

I’m not saying that people shouldn’t play it however they please and mod it into whatever they want. I just take issue with the idea that the devs are somehow out of touch with some mythical majority that don’t want base defense and that the devs ought to spend time gutting one of the primary elements of the game. The position that this game as conceived by the developers isn’t supposed to be at least in part tower defense is ludicrous. And the fact that it is meant to have a tower defense aspect is well advertised to potential buyers so there is no bait and switch going on here.

Also, survival is getting a huge shot in the arm. But just because survival isn’t tough enough for someone’s taste doesn’t mean it’s not there. You can easily make edits that will increase the survival elements. There are very popular mods that do this. So survival is actually in there but the matter of degree is one of taste and vanilla is likely never going to be as hardcore as veterans of the game will want. Now compare that with the fact the bloodmoon night is hard coded into the game and can’t be completely modded out. The devs intend this game to be base defense and survival becaus the first is not able to be removed and the second can be altered to taste.

I don’t disagree with the sentiment that someone buys a game and then feels that the implementation of one of the advertised elements is weak. I do disagree with buying a game that is advertised as having particular elements that they don’t care for and then saying that the game is bad unless those elements are removed by the developers. I don’t like RTS but it doesn’t mean those games are bad unless they spend time and resources to change them to turn-based strategy games the way I like it. No.. I should just play Chess instead.

Blood Moon hordes should be pretty easy to effectively mod out. If you remove a bunch of lines from the gamestages.xml file corresponding to blood moon hordes. You May have to leave in 1 gamestage and set the zombie count to 1 or 0. Not sure if the game would bug out for not having any lines related to blood moon hordes, and im not sure 0 is valid so you may have to deal with 1 zombie , can u handle that?

Never tried it tho...i like increasing the counts.

Archived