Why anyone plays Nomadic?

unlike them

Since the day I discovered 7dtd I knew there are two major play styles: base building and nomadic. I always played base oriented, and never understood why would anyone play Nomadic. The benefits of base building are obvious:

- workstations

- farming

- easier to defend against 7 day hordes

- more diverse and interesting gameplay

- self expressing as building fantastic castles/structures

- loot hoarding (for loot addicts)

And I don't even know what does Nomadic game style offer. Looting all those POIs again and again? With half the loot you don't need (for nomadic play) and the other half you cannot carry with you? I mean after you played a while, every town looks the same, there is very little to discover even with mod packs.

So it is an honest question, I'd love to try something new for a change while waiting for A17, but I just can't start a nomadic playthrough because the very idea seems so boring.

its the "living off the land" aspect. you basically said it all yourself.

-no workstations - not true, they exist in the wild. but it adds challenge when they are not available

-no farming - hunting and scavenging for food is perfectly viable. i never farm even tho i am a basebuilder type.

-harder to defend against 7 day hordes - yeah. its challenging. that would be a plus for many people.

-self expression can take the form of roleplaying a wandering survivor. just because building is how YOU express yourself, doesn't mean it is how others do. that is why it is "self" expression.

-no loot hoarding = no huge stores of everything you need after 1 week = increased challenge and decision making on what you keep and what you leave behind.

i like base building, too. but i'm also the sort that goes wandering the map from time to time. i just like to explore a bit and see what's out there. i frequently start the game as a wanderer until i find a location that feels like home. then i build for a bit. then i go out and wander some more. so i can see the appeal of both playstyles.

Actually, with this post you made me realise that all of my 1100 hours in the game have been base building style. I never even thought about the possibility of playing nomad style up until now... huh.

Might be worth trying it out. It could bring a whole new aspect to the game for people like me who have always played the same way.

Nomadic is more "realistic" in that kind of world if you're alone.

It also gives a better feel and provides with more challenging experience as base building and cookie cutter defensive base/bedrock molerats are just too damn easy.

The challenge.

The fun.

I don't always play nomadic, but I really enjoy it when I do. Your only gun ammo is what you can find along the way. Each night is in a different house, with maybe only a little boarding up of it for horde nights.

It's definitely not the only way I play, but I do like it as much as a base building play through.

That's the main attraction of this game to me,

I play mostly nomadic, but can play base build also.

My reason for Nomadic style, is prepping as the game develops. I m learning how to take over and keep

larger areas in relative safety, with a constant horde filling the streets. Reason NPC/Bandit inclusion, later,

the thought of rebuilding an huge safe zone for reinsertion of society.

Plus them constantly nipping at my heels makes me develop quick makeshift defenses, Movie fan.

Constant Horde

<spawn respawndelay=".05" time="Any" TotalAlive="8" entitygroup="ZombiesAll" />

<spawn respawndelay=".02" time="Any" TotalAlive="8" entitygroup="ZombiesAll" />

<spawn maxcount="4" respawndelay=".006" time="Any" TotalAlive="8" entitygroup="ZombiesAll" />

harder to defend against 7 day hordes - yeah. its challenging. that would be a plus for many people.

This is not true... a nomadic player can just go on the roof of a big building and spend horde night there. Easy, safe, fast. A nomadic player can also dig a hole in the ground anywhere and be safe.

A nomadic player doesn't have to worry about his things getting destroyed. Nomadic easier!!

Just because you “can” doesn’t mean you “have to”. You can also turn off spawns in blood moon nights. So the logic is flawed.

I can build bases underground. I can build bases high above ground. I don’t do those things. I build bases at ground level. Because it’s more fun to me.

Do a quick fortification of a wood house, hold out til you have to run, and then run for your life. Maybe find another house and get to the roof. Maybe get trapped on that roof. Maybe die on that roof. It can be pretty intense. ...If you make a conscious decision not abuse the games weaknesses.

Nomad is great. I love it. Barricading existing structures only keeping what you can carry. Leaving stashes behind you or small gardens. I like doing loops so that when I return to an area my garden is grown and some things I stashed that I didn't need then I do need now. Finding traders. Uncovering the map. Seeing where a road leads and how far it goes. It was awesome in A11 - A13 with the great cave networks. You could do some quick mining for resources or stay the night in a cave.

With the new level designed POI's and quests is should be even more interesting. Now you'll be given a direction to head in, a task to do, and a reward before moving on.

I love nomad.

Hybrid. Make a small base on the outskirt of a city, nomad around while returning to your base to drop loot so you can explore more, cook, craft tools... then move on to another city and repeat.

Horde nights are extremely easy by going to the top of a crack a book tower and sitting near a wall. Things don't really spawn on the ground, and the ones that spawn inside try to get up the stairs so you break a block out and they derp-loop up and fall.

This way you are always finding new areas with animals, you are exploring and looting, you are building stashes that you can come back to, and you minimize the number of drop points so you don't have 30+ pages of bookmarked stashes on your map. Playing hybrid is the best of both worlds, and getting back to your older stashes is very convenient once you get your minibike.

Nomad is great. I love it. Barricading existing structures only keeping what you can carry. Leaving stashes behind you or small gardens. I like doing loops so that when I return to an area my garden is grown and some things I stashed that I didn't need then I do need now. Finding traders. Uncovering the map. Seeing where a road leads and how far it goes. It was awesome in A11 - A13 with the great cave networks. You could do some quick mining for resources or stay the night in a cave.

With the new level designed POI's and quests is should be even more interesting. Now you'll be given a direction to head in, a task to do, and a reward before moving on.

I love nomad.

Add a buddy, 2 minibikes and Born To Be WIld playing in background and you got yourself a game.

It was awesome in A11 - A13 with the great cave networks. You could do some quick mining for resources or stay the night in a cave.

That is the one thing I miss the most about the current cave generation. I haven't found anything bigger than a 100-150 square long tube with next to zero branching and no big galleries or junctions. The older cave system was so much better. I really hope they find a way to make spelunking great again.

nomadic was def easier when you didnt need an LCB to pickup work stations but its still feasible just depends on your play style.

That's a real trade off with being able to pick up all of your crafting stations fairly quickly but then having to bash all the points off of your LCB to take that with. Which is why I usually leave those behind, craft a new LCB to take with, and keep a workbench/forge in my backpack to make the next base easier to start.

- - - Updated - - -

Just because you “can” doesn’t mean you “have to”. You can also turn off spawns in blood moon nights. So the logic is flawed.

I can build bases underground. I can build bases high above ground. I don’t do those things. I build bases at ground level. Because it’s more fun to me.

Do a quick fortification of a wood house, hold out til you have to run, and then run for your life. Maybe find another house and get to the roof. Maybe get trapped on that roof. Maybe die on that roof. It can be pretty intense. ...If you make a conscious decision not abuse the games weaknesses.

There is a compromise there. You can take over a POI and reinforce support columns while leaving the rest of the bottom floor blocks weaker. Zombies tend to attack the weaker blocks and your support pillars are almost certain to last through a horde night.

Run, near multiple 2 floor dwelling, precut hole on edge of roof, small cache of supplies each location. Fight in street running int poi slam door drop a couple blocks at door, fight at windows, when/if breached climb ladder to ledge, jump down no sprain, fight way to next poi, lead them to gas-barrel traps, rinse repeat. But the first few i make a L-V-shaped wall approx 3 high and 10 long, with my back in corner, so no sneak ups. Then stay alive as long as i can.

But on 7th day multiples i make a zipped copy, at about 9pm. to play over again if I want. I like the rush.

It gets harder with each patch to really live nomadic but it is still possible. The challenge and the thrill of discovery. What's around the corner, over the next hill. People who enjoy inventory management get that in spades....deciding what to keep, what to trash, what can be compressed, etc.

I play strictly nomadic for two primary reasons. #1: Building has never interested me in these kinds of games. #2: Exploration is my favorite part of these games.

Now, let me address your points.

- Workstations: I usually have a few "bases" scattered about the map where I've visited. I'll have workstations setup there, but I don't use them much.

-Farming: I don't do it. It's simple to get everything I need to survive from hunting and scavenging.

-easier to defend against 7 day hordes: Rooftops are completely safe. Knock out the first two rungs of the ladder and use a wood frame to hop up on the ladder. Snipe zombies or just chill til morning.

-more diverse and interesting gameplay: Let's agree to disagree. I get bored if I'm in the same area for too long

-self expressing as building fantastic castles/structures: If you like that sort of thing, I guess. :shrug:

-loot hoarding (for loot addicts): I am a loot addict. I keep several "bases" with loot but usually move my important loot with me to the next area. Once the area around me is completely looted it's time to move on.

I play strictly nomadic for two primary reasons. #1: Building has never interested me in these kinds of games. #2: Exploration is my favorite part of these games.

Now, let me address your points.

- Workstations: I usually have a few "bases" scattered about the map where I've visited. I'll have workstations setup there, but I don't use them much.

-Farming: I don't do it. It's simple to get everything I need to survive from hunting and scavenging.

-easier to defend against 7 day hordes: Rooftops are completely safe. Knock out the first two rungs of the ladder and use a wood frame to hop up on the ladder. Snipe zombies or just chill til morning.

-more diverse and interesting gameplay: Let's agree to disagree. I get bored if I'm in the same area for too long

-self expressing as building fantastic castles/structures: If you like that sort of thing, I guess. :shrug:

-loot hoarding (for loot addicts): I am a loot addict. I keep several "bases" with loot but usually move my important loot with me to the next area. Once the area around me is completely looted it's time to move on.

based on what i've been hearing all those nerdpole or "knock out the ladder" tricks are going to be harder to pull off going forward. which will make it more fun imo. however on multiplayer servers i think it will lead to more servers doing periodic "reloads" of city chunks, after too many working stiffs and shotgun messiahs get torn down to their bare foundations

Archived