1080 ti maybe

Sappystreetbum

GTX 1060 6GB version is the best value / performance right now. Anything above that is not really worth it in my opinion. But... if money is of no concern, then why not go with a GTX 1080 ti.

And yes, PC building advice is one of my specialties.

IMHO the only reason to blow money on a 1070 or 1080 is for VR. A 1060 6GB is more than enough for most games to run 1080p at high settings. 4k gaming is mostly a wasted effort right now. In a few years it will be worth it, but right now 95% of the titles out there don't support it. Most of them will suffer severe degradation of FPS when attempting it too.

Ok sorry It took me so long but...

Right now i have an intel i7-6700k @4GHz, 16 Gb ram, gigabyte Z170x- gaming 3 mother board, EVGA GTX 1070 SC, EVGA supernova 650 watt, thermalright macho rev b and win 10 64 bit.

First off I'm only wanting to up grade because i want to give my gpu to my dad so he can build a decent rig. He's currently an IT and has shown interest in learning more programming/coding.

I'm more interested in art and literature but I'm not afraid of math. :p

I'm considering going back to school but I'd like to toy around with an engine first. From what i gather it's free to download unity, cryengine, or unreal? Or am i being nieve in thinking thats the only tool i need to start toying.

Anyway; how would you blow say $2000 max

GTX 1060 6GB version is the best value / performance right now. Anything above that is not really worth it in my opinion. But... if money is of no concern, then why not go with a GTX 1080 ti.

And yes, PC building advice is one of my specialties.

Well, I wouldn't have said NO concern, but yeah, I lashed on my recent PC refresh, 1080ti included.

I have room for 16 more Gb of ram. I definitely need a sound card since i don't have one. If i get a 1080 ti should i be worried about power supply or cooling?

Ok thats all i can think of asking.

P.s. thanks in advance. I'm a long time lurker on this forum and I've enjoyed alot of the posts here. Most of you are funny people. Especially Roland, I never thought I'd meet a math teacher with so much wit.

Anyway; how would you blow say $2000 max

Geez, for $2000, you can build a whole new system for that. But what would be the point? Your system is already pretty awesome. Buy your dad a GTX 1060 6GB version and keep your GTX 1070 SC, and buy yourself another 16GB of ram for future proofing and you're all set. No sense in wasting the hardware you already have.

I have room for 16 more Gb of ram. I definitely need a sound card since i don't have one. If i get a 1080 ti should i be worried about power supply or cooling?

Ok thats all i can think of asking.

P.s. thanks in advance. I'm a long time lurker on this forum and I've enjoyed alot of the posts here. Most of you are funny people. Especially Roland, I never thought I'd meet a math teacher with so much wit.

Wait, what? I thought all motherboards came with onboard sound (which is basically just as good as anything not onboard which is why no one buys them anymore).

GTX 1080 ti might consume slightly more power, but I imagine that if you already run a GTX 1070 SC in there, then odds are, your power supply should be able to handle it. As for cooling, I imagine you already have a fancy case with proper ventilation and an aftermarket CPU cooler? I doubt cooling is a concern.

EDIT: As a suspected, you already have 7.1 surround sound capability on your motherboard. What more would you need?

Thanks fox. I think you've talked me down lol. I'll grab another hard drive and some ram and call it good. And your totally right on the motherboard. If i put my headset to the motherboard directly its good but though the monitor it's trash. i owe you some counseling fee huh?

Thanks fox. I think you've talked me down lol. I'll grab another hard drive and some ram and call it good. And your totally right on the motherboard. If i put my headset to the motherboard directly its good but though the monitor it's trash. i owe you some counseling fee huh?

Oh, ya, monitor speakers are the worst. I don't even know why they bother adding them in. Maybe you could invest in some quality speakers or headset. I myself bought the Logitech z-5500 1010 watts 5.1 surround roughly 10 or more years ago and it's still the top tier PC speakers to this day, though they get discontinued often as well as make a come back due to high demand for them. I also have a HyperX Cloud headset which is nice, but I changed out the leather ear cushions with velvet ones cuz the leather was too warm.

Oh, ya, monitor speakers are the worst. I don't even know why they bother adding them in. Maybe you could invest in some quality speakers or headset. I myself bought the Logitech z-5500 1010 watts 5.1 surround roughly 10 or more years ago and it's still the top tier PC speakers to this day, though they get discontinued often as well as make a come back due to high demand for them. I also have a HyperX Cloud headset which is nice, but I changed out the leather ear cushions with velvet ones cuz the leather was too warm.

I've a pair of v-moda's that work just fine but the cord is to short to reach the motherboard hence why I've always plugged to the monitor.

I've a pair of v-moda's that work just fine but the cord is to short to reach the motherboard hence why I've always plugged to the monitor.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X3.5mm+audio+stereo+extension+female+to+male.TRS0&_nkw=3.5mm+audio+stereo+extension+female+to+male&_sacat=0

Just make sure to get the one with only 2 black stripes on the end... cuz the one with 3 won't work with the PC.

Also, keep it as short as you can. You will lose quality over distance. If you only need 3 feet to get the reach for comfort, get a 3-ft cord.

My two cents - A GTX 1070 is an excellent value. In terms of "actual" performance to money, it is the most reasonable investment (assuming you have the money). However, having good clean power to run it is important. For some systems with standard power supplies, it is too much. If that were my only weak point, that is what I would invest in. The leap from the 1070 up to the 1080 for such a minimal frame rate increase just isn't there. Of course, anyone can recommend purchasing the Titan or 1080TI is an easy one. The best...is a duh. However, it seems silly to spend three times as much for such a minimal power increase. For a $50 difference for five times the power, the leap from the 1060 to the 1070 is a no brainer in my opinion.

Do you need a 1070 to play 7 days to die? No. However, all the newest games I see on the near horizon are going to need that type of power (or better) to play with all the eye candy that is being crammed in this upcoming generation of games (Think Anthem, etc).

Having a balance of decent processor, RAM, video card, and SSD drive will give you a solid system. I love Samsung EVO series for a great bang for the buck SSD drive. 16GB of RAM is reasonable for pretty much any game out there. Most games don't utilize multi-core processors so focusing on a higher speed dual core vs. a lower speed multi-core processor would be a strategy I recommend.

Geez, for $2000, you can build a whole new system for that. But what would be the point? Your system is already pretty awesome. Buy your dad a GTX 1060 6GB version and keep your GTX 1070 SC, and buy yourself another 16GB of ram for future proofing and you're all set. No sense in wasting the hardware you already have.

Wait, what? I thought all motherboards came with onboard sound (which is basically just as good as anything not onboard which is why no one buys them anymore).

GTX 1080 ti might consume slightly more power, but I imagine that if you already run a GTX 1070 SC in there, then odds are, your power supply should be able to handle it. As for cooling, I imagine you already have a fancy case with proper ventilation and an aftermarket CPU cooler? I doubt cooling is a concern.

EDIT: As a suspected, you already have 7.1 surround sound capability on your motherboard. What more would you need?

I'm with Fox! A few SSD's and a bunch of RAM can do both of you good!

OS - SSD

"Data"/"Swapfile" SSD

Game SSD

Max out RAM on both!

On a personal level - I love SoundBlaster sound cards. The software it comes with gives you the ability to "Record what you hear" lol Don't use it much but when needed it goes a long way! OH! Maybe a couple of Large HD's for 'backup' for both systems would be sweet. That'll probably run under 1K.

As someone that just went from an AMD 6-core FX processor with 8GB of DDR3 RAM to a AMD Ryzen 6-core with 16GB of DD4 RAM, WITHOUT upgrading my video card (Radeon R9 280X) I can tell you, the graphics card is not the most important part in the information supply chain concerning GPU performance.

My CPU and RAM were WAY slower than my GPU's potential. That created a severe bottleneck in sending texture data to my GPU RAM.

Before upgrade

30 - 45 FPS Half size textures, no bells and whistled (anti aliasing, SSAO, God Rays, Reflections of any kind) at 1080P

After upgrade

40-60 FPS EVERYTHING maxed out. ALL Settings turned on/up to max at 1080P

Consider your CPU and RAM type, before upgrading your GPU.

Also, keep it as short as you can. You will lose quality over distance. If you only need 3 feet to get the reach for comfort, get a 3-ft cord.

If that was the case, then regular speakers with 50 foot long cables would have so much static issues... 2 of my security cameras have 200 foot cables for video and audio and the image and sound is just as clear as the other cameras (though, they're not like studio quality mics, so I can't say for sure if they're effected by cable length or not). Signal degradation starts becoming a problem after 250 feet with network cables, so even if sound cables are half that... the odds of a headset cable extension becoming an issue no matter the length... I just don't think it's possible to notice the difference in sound.

When it comes to analog cables, you're going to get "some" subtle static when nothing is playing and the volume is high whether you have a long extension or not. Having a decent quality connection does help a tiny bit for static prevention too (just don't waste money buying those ridiculously expensive cables thinking it'll make any sort of difference). But, if you don't want any static at all, then SPDIF (optical) is the only option available to take, though I doubt they make headsets for that.

Archived