Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

On 6/5/2022 at 10:54 AM, itsBorked said:

Ooh, there's the response I completely expected. Gee thanks for the obvious input.

But no, the main reason of modifying any of this overhaul is that most of it is great, about 85% of it. But for QoL enjoyment it's nicer to adjust the small things rather than rebuild it from scratch and call it my own when it's clearly not mine. It's not like I'm redistributing this, I don't see why you're so irritated by it to come at anyone like this?

I make a few QoL modifications myself, like I play with no loot respawn so I have bird nests self destruct. Anyway, as far as I know, and maybe you do too, but the mods are added in I think directory sort order, so I always name my overhaul tweaks mod folder like zz_somethingsomething. That way they load last and my changes are the last ones done.

15 hours ago, Redai said:

Hey Khaine,

Couple questions, i have not found an answer online anywhere. Which one is faster or "better" chopper, MD-500 or UH-60 or are they equal and just for looks?

Second one, there is engine turbo on creative catalog, i assume supercharger took its place and i can quit looking daily trader inventory for one.

Also, i found really irritating bug if it occurs. I have 0 other mods running beside DF so just you know. I made an elevator and it works fine, once i took out military tablet while i was using elevator and it somehow messed it up. It got stuck in loop somehow, sound of using elevator was looping EVEN while pressed game pause with ESC. I took elevator back to parts, did electricity again etc. sound is gone, great.. use one time elevator, like you used to, without tablet.. bam, again the loop. Oh, and you are not allowed to use elevator if you dont take it off first once, it says elevator in use. Gladly, total game reboot worked. Even partial reboot of the game (going back to main menu) didnt do the trick, only full boot did. So far i have only found the bug with military tablet. But yeah, maybe a messy story of the bug.. TLDR; dont use military tablet on elevator, it breaks the elevator.

Helicopters aren't mine, so no idea.

And the elevator is constantly iffy. Also not my mod.

10 hours ago, itsBorked said:

That's a much more reasonable response to be honest..

I can accept any potential bugs that arise from my adjustments, I'm not incompetent. I just wanted to know if there's a way to get what I'd like to edit to overwrite what's in the config of the base DF mod folder. As I mentioned before it does seem to allow half of my edits to apply, but unfortunately not the ones our group would like best which are some small creature comforts like canned food not having a dysentery effect as it seems a little ridiculous.

Alternatively, I've noticed there's no way to make a bowl of murky/water without snowballs. Is this intentional or is a crafting recipe to combine a bottle of water and bowl simply missing? Seems odd to rely on snowballs as the only way to properly utilize canned foods being re-cooked into bowls.

You could just COOK  the food. It makes absolute sense that canned food can and will go off in the apocalypse. Cooking it is supposed to simulate breaking it open and scraping all the bad crap out so it's safe.

@Redai From my impression the MD500 and the UH60 are the same speed. And even if one is faster than the other they are still both slow af. And the super charger, wich is the turbo mod,  doesn´t change that at all. Gyrocopter is way faster using the super charger.

They still are great in MP as you can have 4 people at least in both and i think even more in the UH60 as there is 8 seats. Never happened that we had more than 4 online to test that though.

Is there a way to spawn the Eve Trader in an RWG world?  We created a 12k map but the Eve quest says "NO TRADER"

If not, is there a list of required POI's so I can verify if an RWG map has all the necessary locations?

Thanks,

LHammonds

@Canute thank you for the video.  That's a relief that we have the potential to fix the existing world.

Is there a list of POI's that must be in the game to progress the storyline?   Right now it seems to just be the Eve trader but we are new to this mod.

Thanks,

LHammonds

So I have tried the quest "Research rescue from hell", the one in the second lab, three times now. Full power armor, 300 hp, level 71 demon health regeneration disabling weapons, thousands rounds of ammo and all the good stuff one can have without a laser workbench. 

What is really annoying: Demon fireballs dealing splash damage through walls. They might be in the the room above or besides me and constantly dealing damage to me or set me on fire. Nothing I could do against that.

First attempt: Did really good, reached the lowest floor (I guess). Fighting against two Incubus at the same time, nearly had them, got a fireball to my face - instant death.

Second attempt: Middle floor, saw an Incubus, got a fireball to my face - instant death.

Third attemtp: Middle floor, saw an Incubus, got a fireball to my face - instant death.

Was fed up with that mission and needed a break. Just had day 56 horde night, was pretty tough but did well until an Incubus appeared at 3:30 o'clock. Took a fireball to my face - instant death.

I like a challenge, that's why I am playing DF and vanilla 72D2 feels boring and too easy to me. But an inevitable one-shot-kill is just ridiculous.

How is anyone else here dealing with the Incubus?

Encountered another situation in which I started a new game and the trader I was sent to was not a regular trader but one of the white river scouts who offers no jobs. It was a POI with a chimney spewing smoke and you climb a pile/pyramid of rubble to a hole in the wall near top of house. When you drop down you walk to some futuristic base with a character that speaks like Jen but is dressed like full doctor. 

In this case, however, I found a standard trader near to this building which is giving me quests. My question is since I discovered that advanced white river scout installation have I screwed up my game so the white river storyline is broken now or can I continue to play as if that initial meeting never occurred.

Thanks

1 hour ago, newbie said:

Encountered another situation in which I started a new game and the trader I was sent to was not a regular trader but one of the white river scouts who offers no jobs. It was a POI with a chimney spewing smoke and you climb a pile/pyramid of rubble to a hole in the wall near top of house. When you drop down you walk to some futuristic base with a character that speaks like Jen but is dressed like full doctor. 

Anna.

1 hour ago, newbie said:

In this case, however, I found a standard trader near to this building which is giving me quests. My question is since I discovered that advanced white river scout installation have I screwed up my game so the white river storyline is broken now or can I continue to play as if that initial meeting never occurred.

I had the same happen in one game and everything worked fine up until Eve's last quest (I started over on another map at that point because the map I had generated was very annoying). I don't think it causes problems.

4 hours ago, newbie said:

Only because you discover a story POI/NPC by your own, it doesn't mean the whole storyline is borked.

But when you play a random world, you need to be sure ALL the DF important POI are on the world.

RWG (Random World Gen) now works for Darkness Falls, in that it will place POIs in the correct biomes - however (and this is especially true for small maps) it is not guaranteed to place all POIs. ⚠️If you’re going to use RWG, you must check that the following POIs exist. If not, you can manually place them (although that’s beyond the scope of this FAQ).

DFalls_Annas_House - Any non-wasteland city, Khaine prefers forest. DFalls_Eves_Camp - Desert DFalls_Military_Bunker - Snow DFalls_Razors_House - Forest (desert would probably be ok too) DFalls_Resarch_Lab1 - Wasteland DFalls_settlement_caitlin - Wasteland
To check if a POI exists, you enable debug mode, then choose POI Teleporter from the in-game menu, then search for DFalls. @DF insane is the real experience has a video showing how to do this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff2vTqGy0fI

8 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

Took a fireball to my face - instant death.

Ahh yes, that explain you forum profil picture ! 🙂

Fireballs are slow projectiles or at last not instant like guns. You should be able to dodge them when you are strafing.

Did you consider to add a NiCd battery mod to your weapon ? Even an Incubus should be able to get shocked by that. And when they are shocked they can shoot.

19 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

So I have tried the quest "Research rescue from hell", the one in the second lab, three times now. Full power armor, 300 hp, level 71 demon health regeneration disabling weapons, thousands rounds of ammo and all the good stuff one can have without a laser workbench. 

What is really annoying: Demon fireballs dealing splash damage through walls. They might be in the the room above or besides me and constantly dealing damage to me or set me on fire. Nothing I could do against that.

First attempt: Did really good, reached the lowest floor (I guess). Fighting against two Incubus at the same time, nearly had them, got a fireball to my face - instant death.

Second attempt: Middle floor, saw an Incubus, got a fireball to my face - instant death.

Third attemtp: Middle floor, saw an Incubus, got a fireball to my face - instant death.

Was fed up with that mission and needed a break. Just had day 56 horde night, was pretty tough but did well until an Incubus appeared at 3:30 o'clock. Took a fireball to my face - instant death.

I like a challenge, that's why I am playing DF and vanilla 72D2 feels boring and too easy to me. But an inevitable one-shot-kill is just ridiculous.

By not taking a fireball to the face.

There's my run on the bunker, including about 5 Incubi.

As for the fireballs? Not fixable. Your molotovs work the same way. Just work around it like everyone else has since A16. ;)

15 hours ago, newbie said:

Thanks

Nah, you're fine.

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

23 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

On Page 371 walkingwounded assembled some quite helpful hints to deal with the lab.

Edited by Falaffel (see edit history)

Only because you discover a story POI/NPC by your own, it doesn't mean the whole storyline is borked.

But when you play a random world, you need to be sure ALL the DF important POI are on the world.

Actually this is the DF-VSmall1-CP map - I guess I should have made that clear at the onset. 

Nah, you're fine.

Thanks Khaine. I was hoping that was the case

Turrets can be quite helpfull also in the bunker. But generally you need to dodge the fireballs. A horde base always needs enough room to dodge and a corner to hide for healing, repairing your weapons and such.

I have been watching a series called 'Sniper of Darkness Falls' by a streamer named Genosis and he always aggressively deploys multiple turrets when hitting any POI.  Might be of interest,  @PoloPoPo

I realize this is something of a moving target, but how much RAM would people recommend for DF?

I have an i7-11700F, 3060ti and 16GB RAM, which handles vanilla fine, but I get some pretty severe hitches in DF, and fighting in the center of large cities gets a bit too interesting (I tried lowering zombies to 15 to see if that would help, but that seems to cause POI spawns to be delayed, which makes for some extremely dangerous situations).

I'm not going to upgrade CPU or GPU any time soon, but I would think more RAM could help at least some (and the system has two free slots, so, in theory, it should be relatively painless).

I got 16GB Ram too with a 2060, and never got any problems with DF SP or MP.

But i don't played with CP POI's yet, and i hear these can reduce.

And i don't think the problems are with the zombies, you should set them back to 64 or maybe 100.

But maybe reduce other video settings, like no/less shadows, lower the textures, ....

And a big influence would be the resolution you play. When you got a 4k monitor, you prolly play on 4k which need alot more calculations then with 2k (me).

3 hours ago, Similar said:

I realize this is something of a moving target, but how much RAM would people recommend for DF?

I have an i7-11700F, 3060ti and 16GB RAM, which handles vanilla fine, but I get some pretty severe hitches in DF, and fighting in the center of large cities gets a bit too interesting (I tried lowering zombies to 15 to see if that would help, but that seems to cause POI spawns to be delayed, which makes for some extremely dangerous situations).

I'm not going to upgrade CPU or GPU any time soon, but I would think more RAM could help at least some (and the system has two free slots, so, in theory, it should be relatively painless).

You CAN play on 8GB, because one of my testers did.

Just don't use maps with compo pack POI's, 6k or 8k max, increase virtual memory.

On 6/10/2022 at 4:39 PM, Canute said:

I got 16GB Ram too with a 2060, and never got any problems with DF SP or MP.

hm.

But i don't played with CP POI's yet, and i hear these can reduce.

yeah, they can. I played with them in one map and there was a difference. Many of them are huge too, which I found a little annoying. My desert was full of wilderness POIs that looked like they'd take at least a day to clear.

Though, I mainly stopped using CP because of the delayed spawns issue I had; having a ton of ferals, rads and demos spawn on your head two minutes after you think you've cleared a POI is a death sentence in an unknown POI (in vanilla POIs I at least have some idea of where things should be spawning).

And i don't think the problems are with the zombies, you should set them back to 64 or maybe 100.

But maybe reduce other video settings, like no/less shadows, lower the textures, ....

yeh, I'm having trouble finding some settings that really make a difference without driving graphics quality into the ground.

And a big influence would be the resolution you play. When you got a 4k monitor, you prolly play on 4k which need alot more calculations then with 2k (me).

ah, my monitor is ancient so I'm still on 1920x1080.

On 6/10/2022 at 7:52 PM, KhaineGB said:

Kind of impressive. I played the early vanilla A20s on my old system with 8GB and win8.1 and it worked okay, but I don't think I would have even tried DF on it.

I spent points in skills like Workbench 1 and 2 for example, then later I collected enough skillnotes to craft a class book and I picked laborer, now the game says I have zero point in Workbench 1 and 2. Also I had Forge Ahead unlocked, but now the game does not let me craft Forged Steel, because the Laborer skill tree overrides it? If this is intended, then I don't really see the point of the class systems.

4 hours ago, pigeonzoid said:

I spent points in skills like Workbench 1 and 2 for example, then later I collected enough skillnotes to craft a class book and I picked laborer, now the game says I have zero point in Workbench 1 and 2. Also I had Forge Ahead unlocked, but now the game does not let me craft Forged Steel, because the Laborer skill tree overrides it? If this is intended, then I don't really see the point of the class systems.

I think the idea is you can put points into skills outside of your class. For example, say you chose Hunter Class when you started. They don't get a workbench, so you can find a schematic or put points into Workbenches to get the skill to craft them. Later, you might add the Laborer class. That has it's own skill tree for the workbenches which makes the separate skills redundant, so the points you put in Workbench 1 and 2 are "refunded" and then you can spend them in Advance Engineering. Same thing with Forge Ahead, you get points back to spend in Hammer and Forge.

I think many people eventually take most or all of the classes so many of those separate skills become redundant but you get points back to spend.

Edited by seven (see edit history)

On 6/10/2022 at 10:52 AM, KhaineGB said:

Just don't use maps with compo pack POI's, 6k or 8k max, increase virtual memory.

My laptop is ancient (Dell Latitude E5540 or something), has 8GB of RAM and a 2GB GeForce FX graphics chip from a decade ago.

I DO run 7dtd+DF on it and it is an okay experience at 720p. I have all the eye candy down to minimum (terrain detail at lowest does the most to help). There are issues in the city areas, but overall it performs at the 20-30 fps range. Playable, but not pretty.

Smaller maps 8k and under perform reasonably. There are stutters here and there as things load up or spawn in.

I reboot before running 7dtd, and keep my background apps minimal.

****I also reboot the machine if weird issues start to appear in game (I play single player mostly, so not an issue for me to do so). I would call it mostly stable, unless I ignore symptoms of a problem (like very long delays in placing or upgrading blocks or invisible blocks).

My desktop has 16GB of RAM, and also uses integrated graphics. I would consider it far more 'stable' running 7dtd than on the 8GB laptop (smoother, less stuttering for certain; longer sessions between issues).

Summary: running with 16GB is more stable than 8GB (smoother experience), but you CAN run it with just 8GB (with caveats).

Recommendation: if you can affordably upgrade your machine to 16GB, do so, it may help in other ways too.

On 6/11/2022 at 6:35 PM, Similar said:

hm.

yeah, they can. I played with them in one map and there was a difference. Many of them are huge too, which I found a little annoying. My desert was full of wilderness POIs that looked like they'd take at least a day to clear.

Though, I mainly stopped using CP because of the delayed spawns issue I had; having a ton of ferals, rads and demos spawn on your head two minutes after you think you've cleared a POI is a death sentence in an unknown POI (in vanilla POIs I at least have some idea of where things should be spawning).

yeh, I'm having trouble finding some settings that really make a difference without driving graphics quality into the ground.

ah, my monitor is ancient so I'm still on 1920x1080.

Kind of impressive. I played the early vanilla A20s on my old system with 8GB and win8.1 and it worked okay, but I don't think I would have even tried DF on it.

I've had that delayed spawn issue too. I clear out everything I can find, then I'm wandering around looting the area and literally a zed will spawn right where I would have had to step on it earlier. The worst for this is probably the Manor Mansion where they spawn in at the top of the main stairs only after you reach the very top. Now you have dogs and leveled zeds right inside your nose.

I find a number of CP POI's are just death traps where you open the front door and twenty high level feral zeds just come at you from everywhere at once. Not saying all of them are built like death traps, but enough are to make exploration dangerous. After a while I just mentally filter out the 'just a death trap' POI's unless I'm grinding for XP late game. The crashed space ship is a fun one if you carry food and water for the day.

My only other issue with many CP POI's is their sheer size, most need a day or more to explore and clear solo unless you are ready to just shotgun stealth it. It could be I play solo and those POI's are meant to be cleared by a team. I could see clearing a massive POI by a group of four to be quite a bit of fun. Point man goes in and stirs up the sleepers while the rest set up a kill zone and covering fire.

3 hours ago, seven said:

I think the idea is you can put points into skills outside of your class. For example, say you chose Hunter Class when you started. They don't get a workbench, so you can find a schematic or put points into Workbenches to get the skill to craft them. Later, you might add the Laborer class. That has it's own skill tree for the workbenches which makes the separate skills redundant, so the points you put in Workbench 1 and 2 are "refunded" and then you can spend them in Advance Engineering. Same thing with Forge Ahead, you get points back to spend in Hammer and Forge.

I think many people eventually take most or all of the classes so many of those separate skills become redundant but you get points back to spend.

Yep, that is the idea. Got me once already too. I lost the ability to craft steel for a few levels once after spending the refunded perk points elsewhere. Lesson learned.

Laborer class can make steel (etc) sooner than the general perks permit (reduced level requirements to unlock each perk). I think you can make steel at level 20 as laborer but you have to be level 50 using the general perks. Something like that, you unlock access earlier in the class tree, but the non class perks also give you access so you are not totally stuck if you cannot find enough books to unlock the classes. Vehicles and the mechanic class are similar.