Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

Hi all,

Having a bit of an issue with some of the traders on my solo DF game. about half of them work as intended, but a few(including the mod trader) are bringing up a console error message along the lines of 'Object Reference not set'. Had a sniff around for answers online but turned up nothing so found myself here. Any way around it? I've tried killing a couple to see if they respawn and work, but just trying to establish whether there's a fix or they're just gonna remain bugged for this run. Bit rough as I'm struggling to source a laser bench at the moment and my gear is getting obsolete!

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Poundshop_Paladin said:

Hi all,

Having a bit of an issue with some of the traders on my solo DF game. about half of them work as intended, but a few(including the mod trader) are bringing up a console error message along the lines of 'Object Reference not set'. Had a sniff around for answers online but turned up nothing so found myself here. Any way around it? I've tried killing a couple to see if they respawn and work, but just trying to establish whether there's a fix or they're just gonna remain bugged for this run. Bit rough as I'm struggling to source a laser bench at the moment and my gear is getting obsolete!

Thanks in advance.

that kind of sounds like u didnt load a DF map

47 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

I've only seen that error on compo pack maps. It's to do with the trader being unable to select a POI for quests. I haven't been able to reproduce it.

Not so sure about that tbh. We had that on a non CP map aswell. Started to happen around day 40 i think. On the same spot we have been with our base from day one. So the trader should have POI´s. It always happened when we returned to our base like 30 blocks away from the outer wall. We did live near a trader, but he had plenty of POI´s to choose from and always quests for us. 

No big deal, i was assuming it was our builder using decorative items you can´t craft from the creative menu tbh.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

9 hours ago, zeke24 said:

that kind of sounds like u didnt load a DF map

DF Very Small CP2 is the map I believe. 

4 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

I've only seen that error on compo pack maps. It's to do with the trader being unable to select a POI for quests. I haven't been able to reproduce it.

Yeah, it is indeed a CP map. It first happened when I visited a trader that wasn't the one selected for my 'open new trade routes' quest if that's of any assistance at all. Thank you for the reply though :) 

Is there a way to enhance the speed of quest progression?

Like changing the faction reward value up?

<property name="reward_choices_count" value="5" />                
                <reward type="GiveCvarDMT, Harmony-0-DarknessFallsCore" id="traderBobFaction" value="1"/>

When you start doing quests in the late game, it is pretty tedious.

Regarding my previous post RE:Traders giving an error code, in some cases it seems dependent on where you stand when trying to talk to them. For example standing back on a different square allowed me to talk to Trader Caitlin albeit the screen zooming into the wrong place for the dialogue panel, whereas if I moved closer the error message reappeared. 

Mentioning purely in case thats any help to Khaine as the author.

Hopefully this is the right place...

I've been having a lot of fun with this brilliant mod, but I've hit a snag. I've completed the first quest for Razor (fetching buried supplies) but there's no marker to turn in the quest. Trying to show the quest on the map results in the message "This quest does not have a location to show on the map". I thought I had marked Razor's location on the map (I habitually do with all traders), but it seems that I hadn't. I took the quest a while ago and got sidetracked into other things for dozens of hours of play, so I've forgotten where Razor is.  I can turn the quest in to any trader and it completes, but if I do that I still need to get Razor's next quest to continue with the questline. I tried going back to a backup save from a few days ago and redoing the quest, but the result was the same.

If I could find Razor's entity ID I'd teleport to him and try that, but I can't find it. se in the console returns ~890 entity IDs and only shows from ~570 to the end of the list.

Base game is alpha 20.4. Darkness Falls is v4.03. Map is DFalls-Small1-NoCP

1 hour ago, Angilion said:

Hopefully this is the right place...

I've been having a lot of fun with this brilliant mod, but I've hit a snag. I've completed the first quest for Razor (fetching buried supplies) but there's no marker to turn in the quest. Trying to show the quest on the map results in the message "This quest does not have a location to show on the map". I thought I had marked Razor's location on the map (I habitually do with all traders), but it seems that I hadn't. I took the quest a while ago and got sidetracked into other things for dozens of hours of play, so I've forgotten where Razor is.  I can turn the quest in to any trader and it completes, but if I do that I still need to get Razor's next quest to continue with the questline. I tried going back to a backup save from a few days ago and redoing the quest, but the result was the same.

If I could find Razor's entity ID I'd teleport to him and try that, but I can't find it. se in the console returns ~890 entity IDs and only shows from ~570 to the end of the list.

Base game is alpha 20.4. Darkness Falls is v4.03. Map is DFalls-Small1-NoCP

While in game open game console (F1), type DM then click enter, then close console. Click Esc. Click Open POI Teleporter. In search bar type DF. A list of all DF poi's will show. Find the one you want and click on it. You will be teleported there. The only catch is some maps have multi of the same trader/NPC. My map has 3 Razors. While it  does give you the coords for that NPC, it does not indicate which biome those coords will teleport you to. So..... prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Good Luck!

2 hours ago, Angilion said:

I've completed the first quest for Razor (fetching buried supplies) but there's no marker to turn in the quest. Trying to show the quest on the map results in the message "This quest does not have a location to show on the map".

You can talk to ANY trader to complete the quest.

When you don't mark the location of Razor for the next quest you can try to find him again at your own, or use the methode of Jinx.

13 hours ago, Jinx_DG said:

While in game open game console (F1), type DM then click enter, then close console. Click Esc. Click Open POI Teleporter. In search bar type DF. A list of all DF poi's will show. Find the one you want and click on it. You will be teleported there. The only catch is some maps have multi of the same trader/NPC. My map has 3 Razors. While it  does give you the coords for that NPC, it does not indicate which biome those coords will teleport you to. So..... prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Good Luck!

13 hours ago, Canute said:

You can talk to ANY trader to complete the quest.

When you don't mark the location of Razor for the next quest you can try to find him again at your own, or use the methode of Jinx.

And I'm back in the game! Thank you both. There were 2 Razors on the map I'm using and the first one turned out to be the Razor I had previously found so it's all good. All I've lost (from restoring from a backup save) is some hours grinding rep with Hugh for the last two masteries I want. Which I am close to being able to make the books for anyway. I just need ~200 more skill notes.

So I popped into a Crack A Book I'd found while trying to rediscover Razor the hard way. The two storey one with the lower storey almost entirely a single large room and the upper storey open in the middle, overlooking the lower storey. Lower storey...stabby stabby with my spear, a couple of demonic zombies to get shot with my coilcarbine. No problem, everything OK. Up the stairs...and not OK. Run away, run away!

Just installed a battery bank + Solar panel (right next to eachother) in my home, and seem to have run into a slight glitch concerning sounds.

With the bank on, various sounds (including the "whoosh" of my melee swing, bringing out my gun/crossbow, slot-lock sounds ect) seem to lag, or more commonly just not play on every other action (so swing my club, get the sfx, immediately swing it again and nothing/lag, 3rd swing sft plays normal..repeat the sequence). Bank off and everything is fine.

After i got a cple blocks away, all sounds played normally (with bank left on).

Admittedly i usually never played 7D this far in, as i usually got bored, even running DF, after getting this far into the gameplay. But i'm making a specific effort to see just how long i can last, really customize my home as much as i can, ect ect. So i'm not sure if this is a known issue w/ the base game, or something specific w/ DF. Anybody else run into this?

13 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

I had that in A19 too when I was near all my electric crap. Same with opening boxes, doors, etc. No idea why.

Probably not the same thing, but I had something similar in vanilla 20.3 or 20.4. Odd thing was that it seemed to happen after I went from base B to Base A (but not when I went the other way). There was an area I drove through that always got extremely choppy even though nothing obvious was happening there (it was just forest and wasteland, not city), and when I got to my base all those sounds would be delayed, and it got worse and worse until I quit the game and restarted. It was completely repeatable. IIRC, I didn't have anything electric there.

Best guess is there was some kind of map error in the area I drove through (I did find a tree with an inventory prompt there, so maybe something else got screwed up by the RWG too), but why that would cause certain sounds to be delayed I don't know. My base wasn't even in the same chunk as the area that got choppy.

I've used solar panels with battery banks in A20.5 DF without problems, so I can say that Wolfarus' problem doesn't always occur, at least.

I have a question about ammo types in Darkness Falls.

The last time I looked in vanilla 7DTD, armour piercing rounds did more damage to armoured targets and much less damage to unarmoured targets while hollowpoint rounds did more damage to unarmoured targets and much less damage to armoured targets. As a result, I dismissed them both as too situational and stuck with normal rounds.

What's the situation like in Darkness Falls, which also has armour piercing and hollowpoint rounds?

I've reached the stage where I routinely encounter more powerful zombies anywhere and everywhere. I did some tier 1 jobs for a trader yesterday just to gain rep with them faster (I've already gained >30 rep with all the others). I was not surprised to be encountering things like behemoths and demonic zombies in tier 1 POIs. Also, as usual in DF, even breathing loudly in a POI results in umpteen zombies smashing their way in to kill you. A bit more firepower would be nice, even if it was only extra against armoured targets (as long as it wasn't also less against unarmoured targets).

I'm not complaining about the difficulty. I like it. A couple of days ago I still had my vanilla 7DTD head on and ignored a screamer or two outside while I looted a POI, dismantling pretty much everything for more electrical parts for more coilrounds. Wouldn't matter at this stage in a vanilla game and I had my vanilla 7DTD head on. I ended up jumping out of an upstairs window and sprinting for my bike to run away, run away!

46 minutes ago, Angilion said:

The last time I looked in vanilla 7DTD, armour piercing rounds did more damage to armoured targets and much less damage to unarmoured targets while hollowpoint rounds did more damage to unarmoured targets and much less damage to armoured targets. As a result, I dismissed them both as too situational and stuck with normal rounds.

I am not sure this is exactly what happens with the different ammo types in the game (from my experience).

Using 7.62mm as an example:

• Ball ammo (or regular ammo) does 47 damage against all targets.  Armored targets obviously absorb some of the damage (same as your armor absorbing some damage)
  • HiPower ammo (not hollow point) does 52 damage against all targets (1.5 less if using this ammo in a machine gun).  It suffers from the same effects of armor as ball ammo
  • AP ammo does 57 damage against all targets (3 less if using this ammo in a machine gun).  It also reduces the target armor by a percentage so more damage is transferred over to the target.

At least this is from the 20.5 files for vanilla.  AP ammo does not decrease in damage against unarmored targets, at least from the code I can read it doesn't.  Unless they have a penalty in the base code I am not seeing, you are not being penalized for using AP ammo against unarmored targets - you are just not getting the armor reduction perk of using it.

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

I am not sure this is exactly what happens with the different ammo types in the game (from my experience).

• Ball ammo (or regular ammo) does 47 damage against all targets.  Armored targets obviously absorb some of the damage (same as your armor absorbing some damage)
  • HiPower ammo (not hollow point) does 52 damage against all targets (1.5 less if using this ammo in a machine gun).  It suffers from the same effects of armor as ball ammo
  • AP ammo does 57 damage against all targets (3 less if using this ammo in a machine gun).  It also reduces the target armor by a percentage so more damage is transferred over to the target.

At least this is from the 20.5 files for vanilla.  AP ammo does not decrease in damage against unarmored targets, at least from the code I can read it doesn't.  Unless they have a penalty in the base code I am not seeing, you are not being penalized for using AP ammo against unarmored targets - you are just not getting the armor reduction perk of using it.

hmm. I've never fiddled much with the ammo types in vanilla, but in DF I do feel like there's quite a difference in effect. I often use AP in coil sniper rifles, mainly because you can hit multiple zombies and you can shoot through some blocks, but it definitely feels like the AP does less damage to single unarmored targes. It's enough of a difference that I usually switch to regular if I only have spread out targets (so I can only hit one at a time).

I haven't really tried AP in automatic rifles, so I don't know much about those. I don't think I've ever used Hi-Power in anything, so I don't know anything about those either.

Coil shotgun slugs feel like they just do way less damage to everything than coil shells do, despite the slug's high damage stat. Which I find pretty confusing.

Edited by Similar
tpyo (see edit history)

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

But Darkness Falls has hollow point, not hipower, (as vanilla used to do). Look at the descriptions of the tips in DF - it's absolutely explicit about being very specifically hollow point. Not hipower. The ammo types were changed quite recently in vanilla, presumably because hollow point wasn't worth having due to the large penalty against armoured targets. It also makes a degree of sense in terms of realism, both ways, i.e. hollow point not having enough penetration against armour and armour piercing having too much penetration against a lack of armour.

I've looked at items.xml and seen the same as you've seen, but I am not a lawyer expert on how ammo works in this game. Not in vanilla 7DTD or the Darkness Falls mod.

I don't want to open ~10,000 7.62 coilrounds one at a time and make 7.62 AP coilrounds instead unless I'm very sure it's definitely worth it.

6 hours ago, Angilion said:

What's the situation like in Darkness Falls, which also has armour piercing and hollowpoint rounds?

I've reached the stage where I routinely encounter more powerful zombies anywhere and everywhere. I did some tier 1 jobs for a trader yesterday just to gain rep with them faster (I've already gained >30 rep with all the others). I was not surprised to be encountering things like behemoths and demonic zombies in tier 1 POIs. Also, as usual in DF, even breathing loudly in a POI results in umpteen zombies smashing their way in to kill you. A bit more firepower would be nice, even if it was only extra against armoured targets (as long as it wasn't also less against unarmoured targets).

I'm not complaining about the difficulty. I like it. A couple of days ago I still had my vanilla 7DTD head on and ignored a screamer or two outside while I looted a POI, dismantling pretty much everything for more electrical parts for more coilrounds. Wouldn't matter at this stage in a vanilla game and I had my vanilla 7DTD head on. I ended up jumping out of an upstairs window and sprinting for my bike to run away, run away!

It's basically the same as vanilla A19.

So HP does more damage, but less vs anything with armor.
AP does slightly less damage, but ignores X amount of armor.

Normally I just stick an armor shredder mod on an auto weapon and use HP.

12 hours ago, Angilion said:

But Darkness Falls has hollow point, not hipower, (as vanilla used to do). Look at the descriptions of the tips in DF - it's absolutely explicit about being very specifically hollow point. Not hipower. The ammo types were changed quite recently in vanilla, presumably because hollow point wasn't worth having due to the large penalty against armoured targets. It also makes a degree of sense in terms of realism, both ways, i.e. hollow point not having enough penetration against armour and armour piercing having too much penetration against a lack of armour.

I've looked at items.xml and seen the same as you've seen, but I am not a lawyer expert on how ammo works in this game. Not in vanilla 7DTD or the Darkness Falls mod.

I don't want to open ~10,000 7.62 coilrounds one at a time and make 7.62 AP coilrounds instead unless I'm very sure it's definitely worth it.

Yes, it does look like it was changed from Alpha 19 to Alpha 20 (I have old Alpha 19 files on a different computer and was just now able to look at them - thinking back, I don't think I ever used HP rounds, just regular and AP rounds).  They were treated like hollow point ammo (like you stated) in A19 vanilla and actually  double any armoured zombies physical damage resistance value to the target before applying.  I also had the DF files on the same computer, but it looks like Khaine was able to answer your question already (and since he is the creator of the mod, has a better understanding of what he did in his mod compared to me looking at the data files).