Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

8 hours ago, newbie said:

I have a question about screamer spawning. I understand how to minimize screamer spawn when I am mining.  The problem I am having now is with screamers showing up when I am trying to clear POI's.  I am not sure what triggers them to appear when clearing a POI so I don't know what to do differently to minimize spawn. Since I am not digging I assume it is not a heat map issue ?  Does adding silencers to my guns help in a meaningful way ? What else can/should I be doing to prevent screamer spawn ?

I always use silencers and they seem to help, although sometimes the zombies you're fighting are making so much noise there isn't a lot you can do, of course.

I think the Hunter class perk, Stealth Assassin, also helps. I haven't checked heat generation with and without it, but without it the stealth meter goes to 100% or so while you mine a block and with it, it stays a bit below 100% (except when you break a block), so I think it makes a difference.

Though in my last game mining at bedrock in the wasteland very often caused zombies on the surface to start to dig down to me, even with maxed Stealth Assassin, so it's not perfect, but zombies seemed weirdly hyper sensitive in that game even though I used the same settings I always do; it was like they always heard even the most minor sounds I made. In other games I haven't really had many problems.

Oh fantastic.

"Hey, here's a brand new technology, oh but we're going backwards and going to re-introduce image burn in."

Maybe ditch the OLED and get a normal LED then. That's what I use for most of my monitors and it's fine.

So i've recently run into  an issue and was hoping i could get a bit of help in resolving it. I just got The Reward from Eve and upon triggering it the POI does not reset. I'm given the objective of finding the supplies however the distance counter remains at 0.0 and it only tells me to not leave the area. It also doesn't indicate where the supplies are via the compass. I think its because the bunker I was sent to has already been looted and its refusing to reset though im not sure. I have green key cards on me and sat on the exclamation point location for a few minutes on triggering to give it a chance to reload. Any ideas how i can resolve this?

3 hours ago, darksandman said:

So i've recently run into  an issue and was hoping i could get a bit of help in resolving it. I just got The Reward from Eve and upon triggering it the POI does not reset. I'm given the objective of finding the supplies however the distance counter remains at 0.0 and it only tells me to not leave the area. It also doesn't indicate where the supplies are via the compass. I think its because the bunker I was sent to has already been looted and its refusing to reset though im not sure. I have green key cards on me and sat on the exclamation point location for a few minutes on triggering to give it a chance to reload. Any ideas how i can resolve this?

The  supplies are usually on top of the gun safe in the loot room, so you could check that. I've always had the issue with the POI not resetting and the supplies have always been there anyway, so hopefully they are for you too (I haven't noticed if I get a marker for them).

I was told that you can get it to reset by driving far enough away after looting it the first time that the chunk gets unloaded, but it hasn't worked for me so far. Maybe I have to drive much farther away than I thought.

1 hour ago, Similar said:

The  supplies are usually on top of the gun safe in the loot room, so you could check that. I've always had the issue with the POI not resetting and the supplies have always been there anyway, so hopefully they are for you too (I haven't noticed if I get a marker for them).

I was told that you can get it to reset by driving far enough away after looting it the first time that the chunk gets unloaded, but it hasn't worked for me so far. Maybe I have to drive much farther away than I thought.

I've looked all over the place including on the safe. No sign of the supplies. It just keeps saying 0.0 distance away.

5 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

That can happen on servers. I have no idea why because it should just issue a POI reset command like any other quest

Any idea of a work around? We tried restarting the server but that was a no go. I've tried abandoning the quest, failing the quest, and everything else i can think of but so far no luck.

On 6/23/2022 at 1:16 AM, KhaineGB said:

And it's an OLED. You shouldn't be having image burn in. Image burn in hasn't been an issue since CRT, Plasma and ORIGINAL LCD days. I've got a 13 year old monitor on my desktop that's been in use for various different things (more recently, static text for coding) and i've never had image burn in.

This is not correct. Regarding your other response about OLEDs being new tech, I would not call tech that's 5+ years old new. Thanks tho, I will look elsewhere for some guidance.

Edited by Loftus (see edit history)

On 6/25/2022 at 6:39 PM, darksandman said:

That did the trick. Thank you for the quick response Kaine. Also this mod is amazing and has really reinvigorated me and my buddys love for the game. Just wanted to express our thanks for the great mod.

I still don't understand WHY that's a thing. I may try changing the block and see if that helps.

Hi there - question about the mod :

I've gone to the first trader and he says "I don't trust you enough to give you a job - speak to the scout" - where is the scout? I've been all over the base and there are no other NPC's here.

Thanks

10 hours ago, EVH said:

But that's what the questline directed me to....

Questline or starterquest ?

I guess you just at the starterquest and needed to talk to the nearest trader.

It can happen that these DF Quest NPCs was closer then the regular trader and unfortunately they count for the starterquest too.

You need to find a regular trader, at these trader POI you find a second NPC the White river scout.

I transferred my world from a local save to a hosting server but it broke players DF class quests.  Quests are marked completed but some quest stages are marked not completed. Is there a way to reset class quests via command console or something?

From the Discord FAQ: (note you need to be admin).

Q: How do I get a class quest back if I accidentally dropped it?

Use the following command: givequest questID Replace questID with: X is the quest level
quest_classtraininghunterX
quest_classtraininglaborerX
quest_classtrainingmechanicX
quest_classtrainingcivilianX (Scavenger)
quest_classtrainingscientistX
quest_classtrainingsecurityX
quest_classtrainingsurvivalistX

Firstly, this mod is mind-blowingly great: wow. So much more intense - I can finally fight w/ a spear, etc. I thought that I'd never craft anything again, lol - and then we have guns, minibikes, and new classes. Tons of fun! Anywayz my wife/gaming partner have been staying at traders so far and every night means a big attack: we are being *so* quiet. It burns through ammo (arrows) and Molotovs. |-( We're also playing at our usual settings of Survivalist/feral always on, we're at game stage 50ish on day 10 (Horde is delayed while we learn - we're busy.) . Should we be able to hunker down safety (Joel's or Hugh's) in a trader or do we need a tower on a hill or island for a mellowish night? [Edit. Feral always on was a bit crazy - daytime is cool and taking down the max zeds from 125 to 100 seemed to help. It still gets crazy as hell but we get breaks. 😃 ]

Edited by Apocalipservice (see edit history)

With feral on, you will have mini-hordes each nights since at night some other Z spawn then at daytime.

You maybe notice self, the trader POI is pretty big and very bad to defend. You can power up the auto. turrets at the POI, but you would burn alot of ammo with them.

You should build up some own base. It doesn't matter if you build on a hill or plain. But when you both prefer to do mission, stay close to the trader.

Ofocuse you can look for an island or build on water, when there is no land in 20 or 30 blocks around, you should have a quiete night.

And since you enjoy the spear much, you should made it possible that you can stab Z over a hatch/wall without been hit self.

And when you like surprises, you shouldn't watch Snowbee's videos on youtube about DF ! 🙂

Thanks so much - I DO want to be surprised but am still watching 101 videos as well as Khaine and Neebs playing, I just need a bit of mining help and I'll be good. ...for awhile. We can defend Joel's and Hugh's pretty easily - and have a nifty loft above Joel's head, lol but yeah, we got stacked in the daylight yesterday. We love to build but have been hesitant because everything is so new. I really prefer hills - basic tactics, people didn't build towers on hills for the view. ...Ok, that's part of the reason I do, preferably by the ocean. No more star forts in lakes though because the water gets destroyed. =\ Definitely want a smaller base (as in literal bottom of the tower) to defend - we found some spots away from town centers - one has a prison POI w/ towers that we can flee to, lol. 

Thanks for the advices!