Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

23 hours ago, Pernicious said:

Installed this overhaul this weekend for some friends and myself. Seems like a lot of fun so far, but a few of the game mechanics have changed, and we're finding them out slowly the hard way.

There's quite a few videos out there with introductions to the game - some good, some trash, but I've found very little documentation. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time and videos aren't the preferred way to deliver the information I want. (Not searchable, no idea of the contents ahead of time, can't go at my own pace etc.). 

The in-game documentation seems good if you know to look for it. But as you often "don't  know what you don't know", you can gloss over that thinking it hasn't changed and learn the hard way. As we only really get 3-4 hours a fortnight to play as a group, stopping to read during the game can annoy some of the group.

What I am really after is a document of "here's the key changes" and possibly a bit of an intro to the storyline aspect of the game. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

Failing that, if there was a small number of videos, that would be better than me trying to figure out who are the decent play testers/genuine content creators on Youtube and who are the kids just trying to get likes online, someone pointing out the good ones would be appreciated.

Thanks!

This was just posted today and has timestamps so you can see the content. It is worth taking the 15 minutes to watch it.

3 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

No known issues with drones. I do recall my wife complaining about that in vanilla though

Thanks. I tried asking on a forum if people had the problem in vanilla, but got no replies. Which may not be odd as I'd been using the first drone for maybe ten hours before it died and the second drone for a fair bit longer, so it's not something that happens constantly. Probably takes some very specific circumstances.

Hi Khaine, just wondering if there is a couple of easy adjustments to make in the windows.xml to fix the last row of the inventory being slightly cut off by the toolbelt. I tried doing a compare of the xml file in Notepad++ with an older version that didn't have that issue, but there were so many changes between the files that it made it difficult to figure out where to start looking.

Thanks

DF backpack.jpg

Edited by Chronicguy (see edit history)

On 5/30/2022 at 10:26 AM, KhaineGB said:

More to the point, WHY do you want to remove them? And yes, it does.

I'm a real wimpy player and like a more casual experience. I also get ridiculously motion sick playing the game and I try to eliminate stuff that might make that more frequent (flying objects that make me have to whip around to defeat them) I also don't enjoy playing the bloodmoon since it is an hour of nonstop zombies for very little loot. It isn't worth the aggravation. I'd rather spend more time exploring and finding loot slowly than doing the bloodmoon. I am also a very slow acting player. It is kinda comical having someone comment on how very slow I am at positioning my avatar or trying to target anything. But I love to craft!

15 hours ago, Chronicguy said:

Hi Khaine, just wondering if there is a couple of easy adjustments to make in the windows.xml to fix the last row of the inventory being slightly cut off by the toolbelt. I tried doing a compare of the xml file in Notepad++ with an older version that didn't have that issue, but there were so many changes between the files that it made it difficult to figure out where to start looking.

Thanks

DF backpack.jpg

Not easily. Just adjust the UI scale in options to fix it.

14 hours ago, lakano said:

Is it a specification to die instantly by the shooting of Incubus?
Even a set of HP300 + power armor will die instantly.
In rare cases, Succubus also dies in one shot with the same symptoms.

If you get hit in the face, yes. They should be scary, no matter how awesome you think you are. ;)

5 hours ago, Ianua said:

I'm a real wimpy player and like a more casual experience. I also get ridiculously motion sick playing the game and I try to eliminate stuff that might make that more frequent (flying objects that make me have to whip around to defeat them) I also don't enjoy playing the bloodmoon since it is an hour of nonstop zombies for very little loot. It isn't worth the aggravation. I'd rather spend more time exploring and finding loot slowly than doing the bloodmoon. I am also a very slow acting player. It is kinda comical having someone comment on how very slow I am at positioning my avatar or trying to target anything. But I love to craft!

Mess with field of view in your video options. That helps with motion sickness.

Hello,just curious if anyone has been able to use a backpack other than the 96 slot version..on my  single player steam version modded vanilla playthrough i use a 250 slot backpack along with a few other ui mods on a 2k resolution monitor with no problems with ui scaling & was wondering if it's possible to disable the 96 slot backpack & use another mod..thank you very much

1 hour ago, Mizdefy said:

Hello,just curious if anyone has been able to use a backpack other than the 96 slot version..on my  single player steam version modded vanilla playthrough i use a 250 slot backpack along with a few other ui mods on a 2k resolution monitor with no problems with ui scaling & was wondering if it's possible to disable the 96 slot backpack & use another mod..thank you very much

No, it's not. Also learn inventory management 😛

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

@KhaineGB sorry to bother you 

I have had issues using your mod with the admin since alpha 20. I’ve resintalled the mod reinstalled server files downloaded multiple fresh zip files done it on 2 different dedicated machine servers I have and every time I get admin working the mod breaks or map breaks where I fall through the map. It doesn’t happen without admin and it vanilla admin works without the mod.

Do you happen to have any suggestion, on what I can do in order to make it work ? I’ve both formats for the admin the old and the new one that has to be used since alpha 20. Are there locations where the admin file has to be placed any different this time around ?

I’ve been trying to avoid coming here and bugging but i feel like I’ve tried everything and nothing I do fixes it

I've played DF for about 5 hours as admin, no problems yet.

Try adding yourself as admin through the console, rather than editing your serveradmin.xml file. That way you can't be using the one in the wrong location, can't make any typos which might cause issues, etc.

While in the console, type something like "add admin Pernicious 0", while your player is in the game. (Obviously replacing my name with yours!) This prevents you from having to look up your player ID.

Is there something special about titanium ore? I got titanium crafting unlocked (and anti-rad pills), so I went to a spot near the wasteland, dug down to bedrock and into the wasteland. After mining so much in there that I went from level 70 to level 78, I still hadn't found any titanium, only uranium and nothing else.

I know I could go on the surface and check the boulders there, but I don't think I would survive that, and I figured titanium would appear like other ores so I'd have a decent chance of running into some, but it's apparently not that easy.

Maybe it doesn't appear near bedrock (judging from various youtubers using the same approach I did, it seems like it should)?

Or maybe I'm just insanely unlucky... That wouldn't really surprise me.

This is a pregenerated DF map (I think it's the same one Khaine used in "No Class, No Hope"), so it shouldn't be some world generation problem.

@Similar It does appear on bedrock level. Our miner does the same as you did. Bad luck i would say.

Also you can now craft a coil carbine or shotgun as you are level 78 (coilgun crafting is the perk for that also should have gun crafting to get some decent quality) and should be able to make titanium armor. Put the right mods in them (especially the blessed metal mod for the weapons and maybe a laser battery in case you can´t avoid demonics) and go look for surface boulders. If you keep your distance from portals you shouldn´t see any demonics or demons with your level. Everything else should be managable. 

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@Similar It does appear on bedrock level. Our miner does the same as you did. Bad luck i would say.

Thanks! yeh, I kind of figured (especially since I did find uranium, so it 's not like all the DF ores are just missing).

5 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Also you can now craft a coil carbine or shotgun as you are level 78 (coilgun crafting is the perk for that also should have gun crafting to get some decent quality) and should be able to make titanium armor. Put the right mods in them (especially the blessed metal mod for the weapons and maybe a laser battery in case you can´t avoid demonics) and go look for surface boulders. If you keep your distance from portals you shouldn´t see any demonics or demons with your level. Everything else should be managable. 

I have coilguns, but I can't make titanium armor because I'm lacking the titanium (I wrenched everything in the "The Reward" bunker, twice, and in Anna's house, but that only gave me enough for 40 forged titanium and I used that for a pickaxe).

I have found some titanium armor pieces, so I might just be overly cautious; I saw many, many big scary things while I was driving around in the wasteland on a scouting trip. Made me a tad nervous...

I've only fought fairly standard stuff up until now (playing without blood moons), so I don't have a feel for how well I'd handle the more horrible things. Guess I should find out.

Since they add the surface boulders and map square that show the location of ore nodes, i never mined to bedrock or deeper then 20-30 blocks.

You should just drive all streets/ways at the wasteland and check the map for resource square's.

When you plan to mine longer at that spot (mosttimes at MP to supplies all the friends with titanium) you maybe should think about to place 2 auto. turrets +generator on top to kill screamer they might appear.

Ofcouse robotic turrets do the job too if you got the skills and don't mine that deep to be out of activation range.