Too hot but 30 sec later too cold

Death Wish

Is there a way of turn the temperature off cuz it seems broken :bi_polo: or is there a mod that fixes it?

If not is there a way to change it to Celsius? cuz I live in a first world country and are not used to the outdated system.

Thanks^^

You can disable temperature effects entirely with "weathersurvival" command.

KingSlayerGM has also shown you how to set the correct temperature system also (sorry, couldn't resist).

You can disable temperature effects entirely with "weathersurvival" command.

KingSlayerGM has also shown you how to set the correct temperature system also (sorry, couldn't resist).

Whenever I get curious about why we use such stupid measuring systems, I have to Google it. (Because I'm old, and can't remember things. >.>)

Here are my favorite results from today...

Why do we have different scales of measuring temperature (e.g. Fahrenheit, Celsius and degree)?

I love where it says "Celcius to the easy way out". LOL It's numbers though, and keeping it simple is better.

Why Americans still use Fahrenheit long after everyone else switched to Celsius

My favorite excerpt from this one...

"Why does the United States have such an antiquated system of measurement? You can blame two of history's all-time greatest villains: British colonialism and Congress."

Both are good reads, especially that second one. Basically we were too stubborn to change.

I agree the weather system is a bit wonky. Just last night we were raiding a town that was half snow and half desert. Kept having to swap gear out.

60 here and stubborn is the key word for me.... and NOBODY is gonna change what i know and do now. :)

now on to the real topic.. temp in game.. yep i got a problem with it too and thats one of the reasons why i play single player games (i can turn weathersurvial off). tired of freezing in desert and actually had to strip in snow biome before. so now the command on each game startup is "weathersurvival off", wont do anybody any good to point out that its not what is intended... read first sentence of my comment. :)

it is suppose to get better when the new buff system is fully integrated. time will tell. :)

On Topic Part:

Temp can be a little temperamental in this game. I find it kinda funny that when there is a desert and snow biome next to each other you can just duck across the boarder between a snow storm and a bright sunny day. That is why I wish we had some sort of "Global Weather" which would determine a base temp within a set range (Maybe depending on season :) ) and then have biomes have a +Temp or -Temp effect that can change very slowly when you cross a boarder.

Off Topic Part:

One big reason those of us in the USA don't change our methods of measurement is simply its VERY expensive to do so at this point. Imagine the massive expense of changing every singe sign on every road which states how far a city is. Every speed limit sign, every mile marker not only changed but also moved/removed/added. That is just for roadways. Then you have changes on many house hold items that everyone would have to gradually switch over. We would likely be talking about a dollar figure in the Billions. I don't think anyone wants to pick up that tab.

Off Topic Part:

One big reason those of us in the USA don't change our methods of measurement is simply its VERY expensive to do so at this point. Imagine the massive expense of changing every singe sign on every road which states how far a city is. Every speed limit sign, every mile marker not only changed but also moved/removed/added. That is just for roadways. Then you have changes on many house hold items that everyone would have to gradually switch over. We would likely be talking about a dollar figure in the Billions. I don't think anyone wants to pick up that tab.

Ireland sort of did it not too long ago. The trick is to plan the switch far ahead, so that you have a kph sign ready at the time you would normally have to replace an mph speed limit sign anyway.

Yeah the temperature up/down cycle is a bit fast... You can get a set together so it's a little better but still fast.

I used to reason it with the fact, that the 24h day lasts only 60min in real time. So time was the reason for the rapid changes...

But then again, the character is of cause not moving rapidly like fast forward, so even that is silly :D.

It's annoying, so I hope it gets tweaked at least.

Yeah the temperature up/down cycle is a bit fast... You can get a set together so it's a little better but still fast.

I used to reason it with the fact, that the 24h day lasts only 60min in real time. So time was the reason for the rapid changes...

But then again, the character is of cause not moving rapidly like fast forward, so even that is silly :D.

It's annoying, so I hope it gets tweaked at least.

yep and to try to come up with a valid reason for this ... hurts the brain. :) but as i said.. and its been hinted about so i am not revealing anything that i shouldnt... with the new buffing system (applies to player and eventually clothing) things will begin to balance out better.

so much work under the hood that must be done so this can start to take place...

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?79029-Tin-sMod-The-Dying-Lands&p=773747&viewfull=1#post773747

Short term work around if you don't want to turn off the weather survival aspect of the game:

d/l my mode copy/paste the weathersurvival.xml and copy the temp changes i did for each biome in the biome.xml and plug it into your vanilla game... or just play my mod.

Weather survival is still viable. You can still boil in biomes that you would expect to boil and you can still freeze in biomes you expect to freeze in.

enjoy.

..And yes, I hope they refine the weather scheme for the vanilla game as well.

yep and to try to come up with a valid reason for this ... hurts the brain. :) but as i said.. and its been hinted about so i am not revealing anything that i shouldnt... with the new buffing system (applies to player and eventually clothing) things will begin to balance out better.

so much work under the hood that must be done so this can start to take place...

Hah! Yeah well, what we do for immersion right ;)

Yeah thats becoming real apparent between the dev posts/answers in the A17 thread and the various other tidbits of info you get in random threads :).

It's really nice to see attention in this area, and with MMs mini revile of the AI updates A17 is shaping up to be epic!

A new game yet again :D

Back in the Carter era we TRIED the metric system,

but folks were driving 85mph on the highway and

nobody could figure how much Gas really cost when the sign said 27cents a liter

Instead of teaching people to "just multiply the liter gas price times FOUR",

they tried to tell folks to multiply it by some crazy 3-something decimal, and that just scared folks away from trying

If we lose a WORLD WAR we will change to metric.

Metric is too imprecise:

When you get 7.62 ammo, is that .300, .303, .308, .311, .312, or. 314 ? The answer is YES,

but if you use the wrong 7.62 ammo it might blow up the gun and maybe your face.

I think The Pimps made the weather that way to keep you on your toes. Kind of like when you're looking in a chest and a zombie comes out of nowhere and starts beating on you, or you are fighting two zombies and a buzzard starts pecking you. They just want to kill you! I know they want to kill me.

I just typically equip singlet/t-shirt, cowboy hat, shorts, bandana, and swap between poncho and long leather coat. Covers all but the most extreme situations. If I was a going to live in a snow biome, I'd probably need a couple of warmer items, but for travel through, short term visits, I rarely need to.

Back in the Carter era we TRIED the metric system,

but folks were driving 85mph on the highway and

nobody could figure how much Gas really cost when the sign said 27cents a liter

Instead of teaching people to "just multiply the liter gas price times FOUR",

they tried to tell folks to multiply it by some crazy 3-something decimal, and that just scared folks away from trying

If we lose a WORLD WAR we will change to metric.

Metric is too imprecise:

When you get 7.62 ammo, is that .300, .303, .308, .311, .312, or. 314 ? The answer is YES,

but if you use the wrong 7.62 ammo it might blow up the gun and maybe your face.

On the contrary, metric is quite precise, at least in the sense that the math is easy and consistent in and of itself.

However, converting metric to imperial is not necessarily simple. I can see how people struggle with that.

Really one has to get used to it, and learn it as second nature, rather than trying to convert it.

I've learned to use metric in terms of weight, as well as in measurements of length. It's intuitive when you understand the units themselves. Once you have some familiarity as to the quality of a kilogram, or a meter, you know what somebody's talking about in an intuitive fashion.

I struggle with temperature and with volume however, as I've hardly used those; knowing the math doesn't help too much, for me it's the experience that's important. It doesn't help me to know what 20 Celsius in Fahrenheit, I need to know the quala of 20 Celsius without thinking about Fahrenheit to wrap my head around it.

As for ammunition, I'm not a gun guy so I'm not experienced with those measurements regardless.

That is a problem with that particular type of ammo, not with the metric system.

Yeah, pretty much. Almost every single other round is pretty straight forward as to the design and size of the cylinder. The only real variation being in the projectile itself.

7.62 is like the Baskin Robbins of the ammunition world. 31 flavors of one bore size of ammunition.

The reason we are keeping distance has to do with Science. The length of a meter is constantly changing in tiny increments that would eliminate any accuracy in science over the course of year, decades... and since all of Metric is tied into the distance of meter's the entire system gets skewed. So the global standard in science, for distance, is miles.

But the OP asked about temperature, not volume, mass, or distance. Centigrade converts directly to Kelvin so that has more relation to science, as well as relating directly to calories.

So to make it somewhat simple, Fahrenheit has the freezing point of distilled water at 32؛ rather than 0؛C, and the boiling point at 212؛ rather than 100؛C. So we can subtract 32 from the Fahrenheit temperature to get a range of 0-180 rather than 0-100؛C.

To convert ؛F to ؛C x-32 = y and 5*y/9 = temperature in Centigrade. Simple.

Well in pure SI terms, ؛C follows the same temperature range as Kelvins (K), while ؛F does not...

So using ؛F really only makes everything harder to do... Well except telling the current temperature if your used to the Fahrenheit scale.

Come on... Join the future already...

Archived