Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Let me preface this by saying I have over 200 hours in game ----

This alpha was ugly. My game experience started with having a clunky experience. I went in my first standard house POI - and there are THIRTY - I counted... sleeping zombies inside. 4 of which were jumpscares. I am good at this game and can handle myself, but in all reality there are at MOST 8 people living in a house... and that is pushing it. Please TURN OFF sleeping zombies until you can get spawning fixed... It KILLS the immersion of the game. And I know a lot of people are going to say I am bad and get gud, but this is just bad. I can handle the rest of the game, but at least make it fun and not annoying.

Does A17.1 address:

1. high level (Radiated) zombies showing up in T1 quest or for low level players clearing a house/POI or questing?

2. on MP servers most low level players log out during BM because they are not worth the wreckage. in A16 at least they could hide in a hole or someplace. Zombies in almost all movies/games did not totally destroy everything to get to you like 7DTD, there needs to be better balance/tuning for low level players.

3. I am a builder as are many of my friends, its about building and dealing with zombies. now with A17 its more like you need to handle zombies in order to get to a level 40+ to build anything decent. Builders have suffered immensely in the areas of XP and gates. I would suggest more tuning and less gates for builders such as better resource XP (17.1?) getting to Iron tools and basic cooking like boiled eggs in cans and tea in cans would be nice.

these are my two cents.

Let me preface this by saying I have over 200 hours in game ----

This alpha was ugly. My game experience started with having a clunky experience. I went in my first standard house POI - and there are THIRTY - I counted... sleeping zombies inside. 4 of which were jumpscares. I am good at this game and can handle myself, but in all reality there are at MOST 8 people living in a house... and that is pushing it. Please TURN OFF sleeping zombies until you can get spawning fixed... It KILLS the immersion of the game. And I know a lot of people are going to say I am bad and get gud, but this is just bad. I can handle the rest of the game, but at least make it fun and not annoying.

I agree that they went overboard in what seems like every poi is overloaded with zeds, but ppl also tend to congregate together during emergencies. So for me personally, It doesn't break any immersion for me, in finding some poi's being loaded up with zeds at times.. just not the majority of them.

I also would rather have a lot of sleeper zeds to deal with, for the now, then none at all. Having no sleepers in poi's at all, would be more immersion breaking, then having too many imo.

I agree that they went overboard in what seems like every poi is overloaded with zeds, but ppl also tend to congregate together during emergencies. So for me personally, It doesn't break any immersion for me, in finding some poi's being loaded up with zeds at times.. just not the majority of them.

I also would rather have a lot of sleeper zeds to deal with, for the now, then none at all. Having no sleepers in poi's at all, would be more immersion breaking, then having too many imo.

Reasonable and believable explanation.

I disagree. I think with the upcoming options for blood moon frequency, player, zombie and blood moon zombie block damage, xp slider combined with the new run/walk settings we'll be able to attract the minecraft builder casual and the hardcore survival gurus. PVP will be more viable than ever too.

@Joel - What are XP Sliders? also does upcoming mean 17.1 or further down the road?

like it or not, 7dtd is a MP game. players love to play with others and players want to play on servers that are busy and have all the options like Diff 3-4 (Warrior/Survivalist) and have a mix of builders and crafters and HC players working on zombie killing. so I can't make zombies walk or risk the eco system we have. IMO A16 was great for the mixed mod MP servers but yes it was easy.

the new crafting/tier system is great, I am not a fan of gates but I can live with them. I just don't like the fact that level 1 to 40 is really a grind to get to the point where I can make something worth calling home and also still have to log out or go elsewhere so BM zombies don't destroy it.

Reasonable and believable explanation.

As long as you forget that the mindless hungry zombies seem to have enough smarts to get inside a house, lock themselves in a cupboard or hide up in the rafters, and wait like a particularly smelly spider waiting for a fly. Last I checked zombies are not usually described as ambush predators.

Why are all of these zombies waiting in houses instead of out on the street looking for food? Extrapolating random movement over the terrain would lead to conclusion that there should be far more zombies wandering around the streets than sitting at home having a nap.

From a purely game mechanic perspective it does seem a little overdone, especially at lower levels.

As long as you forget that the mindless hungry zombies seem to have enough smarts to get inside a house, lock themselves in a cupboard or hide up in the rafters, and wait like a particularly smelly spider waiting for a fly. Last I checked zombies are not usually described as ambush predators.

Why are all of these zombies waiting in houses instead of out on the street looking for food? Extrapolating random movement over the terrain would lead to conclusion that there should be far more zombies wandering around the streets than sitting at home having a nap.

From a purely game mechanic perspective it does seem a little overdone, especially at lower levels.

Not sure. A lot zombies traditionally hibernate when they go too long unsuccessfully finding food. So them being there still doesn't bother me. For the closet and rafter zombies though, I cannot come up with anything logical. If they were there before turning, they would break out or jump down right after to find food.

EDIT: Can be solved by having zombies hanging by ropes from rafters (suicide)... and your presence makes them struggle enough to break the rope. This would be bad as a sleeper spawn though, because those respawn and it would be really dumb if a zombie on a rope showed up in a POI you've already been to.

Person is attacked and gets infected but doesn't know it at the time.

Scared, confused, and gripped with fear, they board the doors and windows.

Still the growing fear just won't let up, they find and go to what they think is a better safe-space (closet/attic/basement) trying to distance themselves from the horror.. they die.

As they reanimate, they don't have enough stimuli from the living, so they stay in their space.

A living being enters the place, the living being gets close enough to zeds location and stimulates its "need to feed"..

Nobody caaaaaares. This isn't your journal.

Looks like you cared enough to reply.

But seriously, I hope TFP do care to a certain degree about these ratings. I'm sure they will stick to their guns, and they should, but these grades must make them scratch behind their ears.

Person is attacked and gets infected but doesn't know it at the time.

Scared, confused, and gripped with fear, they board the doors and windows.

Still the growing fear just won't let up, they find and go to what they think is a better safe-space (closet/attic/basement) trying to distance themselves from the horror.. they die.

As they reanimate, they don't have enough stimuli from the living, so they stay in their space.

A living being enters the place, the living being gets close enough to zeds location and stimulates its "need to feed"..

It's not the logic I'm disagreeing with, it's the frequency. That would explain one or two but half a dozen in every POI?

It's not the logic I'm disagreeing with, it's the frequency. That would explain one or two but half a dozen in every POI?

Oh, I agree they are over doing it, but I think it's mostly a bug.

Last time I checked during the A17experimental, the emptyChance="", nor the count="" was working like it should, but I haven't checked it for A17.1e yet.

If they fixed it, then I hope they tone it down. If they haven't fixed it yet, I hope they do soon.

I do like the idea behind the sleeper volumes and how they are used to spawn zombies at their spawn locations. It makes POI building a lot of fun and not very difficult. However, I am thinking that perhaps they need to add single-use spawners in POIs. Once activated, the spawner destroys itself and can never be used again for the duration of the game. Either that, or add an extra xml attribute to the spawner that represents whether or not the spawner is recycled. Then, replace many of the sleeper spawns with these.

Heyyyyyyy, quick question folks I get pauses in game like a big stutter like once a minute ...

Probably more so when in a POI...

Its so annoying and I wonder if I can reduce or stop this issue... ?

Its not a graphical issue, I am playing comfortably over 40 fps (60+ most times).

Heyyyyyyy, quick question folks I get pauses in game like a big stutter like once a minute ...

Probably more so when in a POI...

Its so annoying and I wonder if I can reduce or stop this issue... ?

Its not a graphical issue, I am playing comfortably over 40 fps (60+ most times).

Listing your computer's stats would help. We don't have a clue what hardware you're running and so we can't tell what frame-rate you should be expecting. It could even be something as simple as defragging your hard drive. Without any more data to go on we can't help you.

Listing your computer's stats would help. We don't have a clue what hardware you're running and so we can't tell what frame-rate you should be expecting. It could even be something as simple as defragging your hard drive. Without any more data to go on we can't help you.

I7 2600K (Multi x 45 = 4.50MHz (oc)

Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti AORUS 11GB Graphics Card (2025MHz) (oc)

Windows 10

RAM 8gb

Run off a SSD

Options vary and I keep changing them from High to Medium etc.

I do not think its an hardware issue, but tell me otherwise I am open to suggestions. :)

how much ram ? (but i guess decent )

Maybe try to remove all you can from your autostart or stop it in Task manager.

Once per minute sounds like a background running app performing something all x time

My epson software for example cause a 9000 Pingspike all x minutes.(wlan Printer) But there are other things that can happen too

The game needs a plot, backstory and its own lore before any "logical" discussion can take place with some aspects with the game.

For example: At game start, the player is very weak and almost naked. Why?

1) They escaped an experimental lab that was doing experiments on them and the zombies.

2) He was ambushed by bandits but someone showed some mercy.

Knowing even that little bit would help players understand why things are the way they are.

A good plot or a set of plots will drive development in the right direction and the confusion that is going on would be reduced. Following the main plot (or any sub-plot) should not be required though.

Right now, is like making a movie that has no script.

The game needs a plot, backstory and its own lore before any "logical" discussion can take place with some aspects with the game.

For example: At game start, the player is very weak and almost naked. Why?

1) They escaped an experimental lab that was doing experiments on them and the zombies.

2) He was ambushed by bandits but someone showed some mercy.

Knowing even that little bit would help players understand why things are the way they are.

A good plot or a set of plots will drive development in the right direction and the confusion that is going on would be reduced. Following the main plot (or any sub-plot) should not be required though.

Right now, is like making a movie that has no script.

I wonder if TFP developed a backstory? I think it would help knowing it and help with the direction of the game as well. also in developing quest for long term end game.

how much ram ? (but i guess decent )

Maybe try to remove all you can from your autostart or stop it in Task manager.

Once per minute sounds like a background running app performing something all x time

My epson software for example cause a 9000 Pingspike all x minutes.(wlan Printer) But there are other things that can happen too

Darn, forgot RAM : 8gb

My start up processes :

I:\Steam\steam.exe

C:\Program Files\Logitech Gaming Software\Lcore.exe

c:\Program Files(x86)\Creative\Volume Panel\VolPanlu.exe

My system is streamlined to the hilt for gaming.. ;)

Simple backstory.

Aliens want planet

* Mankind had a war (Alien pushed Mankind a bit)

* After war alliens set free a Zombie virus to clean planet and make Mankind more delicious for them, mjam zombies

* Terraforming allready started (look on the map)

* You was a Basement child that never saw daylight, thats why you have no abilitys. The morning the game starts you left your basement, and all these sun dazzled you so much you run straight against the tree and lost all your memorys

I wonder if TFP developed a backstory? I think it would help knowing it and help with the direction of the game as well. also in developing quest for long term end game.

I believe there are two POI's that could indicate some plot ideas and possible reasons for the blood moon.

Maybe

The large mansion on the hill in the snow biome has a "Half-Life" feel to it. Causing the blood moon with some help.

The blood moon could also be caused by

all the cell towers that are sending subliminal controlling signals to zombies. It would explain the large numbers of them.

So there is a possible start to a plot but a more complete plot would be helpful to everyone. Even if they did'nt to follow it, they know why things are happening.

Maybe the increase in BM strength is because the experiment has become out of control.

I'm personally okay with the amount of sleepers, and I think the 'immersion' argument is so tremendously abstract and subjective that it's not a valid one because it could be applied to any change that one dislikes. I also think that people that say they went overboard would have said that they nerfed it too much if the game had that many sleepers before and then they got toned down in a17. It's all about what people are used to. It's a backfire effect.

I'd rather them add more options to tweak things and fix more bugs than to spend too much time trying to find that mythical beast called 'balance'.

Archived