Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I didn't say I don't want more to do. I was commenting on the game as it currently stands.

A question then.

So, should these villages be 100% safe too then? Or is it ok if TFP makes it so you have to actually defend them instead of build and forget? Because if you can still build at bedrock, move all your settlers in, and never worry about zombies again, I still see a problem.

Not at all. You should have to protect them. But I'm kinda over wandering hordes being such a constant menace as well as screamers. Which is a main reason why I go underground.

Platform base, cheese horde defense. meh

Underground forge and storage, but away from my horde base so screamers spawn above but away from my horde base.

Allows me the time to dig resources mainly. Without that, I'd be to busy fighting screamers especially and never be able to dig for the stone I need.

Settlements should be able to handle the screamers and wandering hordes.

Where blood moon is when stuff goes bananas.

I didn't say I don't want more to do. I was commenting on the game as it currently stands.

A question then.

So, should these villages be 100% safe too then? Or is it ok if TFP makes it so you have to actually defend them instead of build and forget? Because if you can still build at bedrock, move all your settlers in, and never worry about zombies again, I still see a problem.

If the villagers can mine, forge cement and use a weapon then they should be actually helpful. Already I feel sad for the first villager who dies because I messed up. Oh yeah, it can be the greatest game in time! :)

I think environment hazards will be in place by then so underground would not be practical for more than a few people.

If the villagers can mine, forge cement and use a weapon then they should be actually helpful. Already I feel sad for the first villager who dies because I messed up. Oh yeah, it can be the greatest game in time! :)

I think environment hazards will be in place by then so underground would not be practical for more than a few people.

If O2 underground was a requirement for you AND your settlement NPCs, then yeah, underground wouldn't be where you nuzzled them away. Provided there was a way to manage how depleted the underground O2 got as per how many are breathing underground.

What am I looking at exactly? Training area for Kung fu Panda 5? :D

What you are looking at, is evil genius. OMG! The zombies fall through and you ignore them!

So, the cheese bread is actually... Dr. Evil!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23107[/ATTACH]

Very clever hiding in a loaf of cheese bread, but we're on to you now "Royal Deluxe"! :)

Btw why we allway speak about Bedrock bases, if something is imba then (besides Floating bases on drawbridges) this here

Why do you keep posting stuff like that as your argument against underground threats? That is an SI issue and should be fixed. I don't want totally safe bases ANYWHERE. That base is a complete exploit in my opinion. It still isn't as safe as underground(A cop could still spit at you at least couldn't it?) but it still needs fixed just like invulnerable underground bases needs fixed.

Why do you keep posting stuff like that as your argument against underground threats? That is an SI issue and should be fixed. I don't want totally safe bases ANYWHERE. That base is a complete exploit in my opinion. It still isn't as safe as underground(A cop could still spit at you at least couldn't it?) but it still needs fixed just like invulnerable underground bases needs fixed.

The good at that base is that you can add a ladder half way down and kill them from safety, and loot them.

So you get your 100% XP

a few % loot

and you have 100% awarness of the sourroundings

And fixing this... would make the Sandbox buidling game with Nearly 2000 Usable Blocks a very Poor game with .... a few usable blocks

Great thing about this game. if you don't like building at bedrock. you don't have to do it. If you like doing it, you can do it.

Sometimes, the elitists forget they are literally 1 percent of the playerbase, they just all happen to congregate in the same area.

TFP doing a great job on the game, its flexibility is amazing. I hope they never give in to demands from people that treat a vox game like its a static game. they all tend to forget the whole engine, is vox, you throw legit survival and pvp out the window with that.

what the elitists call exploits, (and because they all argue realism, ill throw that in for this one) in a real survival situation, your goal, would be to make a base you can't get ♥♥♥♥ed up in. point and case.

If you don't want to see invulnerable bases, hey, you have the choice not to look, participate or even acknowledge they exist. Not everyone has to live in your bubble of what you consider "fun". There are people who challenge themselves in their daily life, and video gaming is a break from that, this is the vast majority of players.

How does someone on their own playthrough or public/private server having a underground base affect you in any way? it doesn't.

Hovering base, nothing zombies could attack

Except they had training from a decent ninja and learn to jump from pole to pole

well... technically not hovering. You're glued together. Though yeah... that's pretty damn cheap man. lol. That's crazy funny and you have WAY to much time on your hands. lol.

- - - Updated - - -

But cops would shoot upwards no? And eventually break stuff / or other zombies would hit the sides of the pit and therefore destroying ?

nah. That thing won't go down. He's got steel poles. If that thing is less than 30x30, every post has extra support and when you knock one out, the others lose it's load and others take on the changed distribution of load. That thing won't come down without taking out pretty much 2 sides of those poles in an L shape, and maybe not even then.

And fixing this... would make the Sandbox buidling game with Nearly 2000 Usable Blocks a very Poor game with .... a few usable blocks

How do you figure that? A proper SI implementation would make that thing fall. You would still have 2000 usable blocks. If you want magical floating fortresses maybe TFP could make it so gravity(SI) could be modded out? (Maybe it is now, I don't have a clue.)

That's not irony at all.

What would be ironic is if they were that smart but they dug weird tunnels anyway because they knew it would piss you off...

But then that brings up an interesting point. So if zombies could find your hatches and tunnels because of reasons (smell, zombie sense, sounds) and bashed those in and then just followed your own tunnels down instead of digging new ones then you'd be fine with zombie threats underground? Is it pretty much just the random tunneling you want to avoid?

Yeah, pretty much.

Ok how many suicides among the "You need to play my style" people ?

A) What? suicides?

B) Just stop with the "You need to play my style" idiotic name. If a digging zombie was added so that WE COULD PLAY THE WAY WE WANT all it would take is a simple xml edit for you to play they way you want. But without the mechanic of digging being in the game our "side" only has the option to play they way your "side" does. So, if you truly wanted everyone to be able to play the way they enjoy, you would be cheering for our "side" since it is the only one that gives both "sides" the ability to play to their tastes.

So I'm new to the forum but i do have some thought on the digging zombie and under ground threats. While personally i believe there should be no safe place in the game i can also understand people who do want some safe area.

What if there were multiple underground threats and the digging zombie was one however, the digger would spawn in most biomes except for the ones such as snow or wasteland areas. That way there would still be some form of threat underground but it wouldn't be a digger but you would have to be in an area that also had other things to deal with such as more varied temperature or something like that?

Interesting suggestion. :)

I am not getting annoyed but this is really tiresome.

The other day i was classed as a fascist and today i am elitist for talking not demanding or even directly wanting underground threats.

I will repost what i said earlier on the matter.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I am not requesting UDZ but do understand the difficulty win/lose scales need constant tipping.

The idea was proposed and my personal opinion was make all the counters known and see if there was a solid reason to cull it.

Make all the counters known decreases the difficulty possibly pushing it into impossible to balance.

So debating all the counters and trying to find solid reasons a component can not be used decreases it's chance to be implemented.

Boogey men strawmen and just i dont want it wont make it go away.

It is up to the developers to decide if they can still use it with counters that are known and to workaround solid reasons it cannot be used.

I am also not against options for underground threats i have talked about the loot issue which isnt a problem and also about a component needs to be fully in before making a option so expecting them straight away to me is unreasonable.

I still find it hard to believe what behavior i have commited that is illogical to the discussion about underground threats but nevermind.

Also the breadcrumb system as i understand it will just funnel zombies into an easy trap which some people have claimed is there problem with horde night.

If you have one exit/entrance and the player pathing leads the zombies down though it then deathstar traps will be able to cope at ease.

I think it is good from a difficulty aspect of players need to build up resources to defend that path but it will quickly be circumvented with a countermeasure tactic.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Thats it i have not strengthened the argument for underground threats or tried to protect it i have just debated counters and fixed performance/gameplay issues as a component instead of unconstructive behavior.

Actually i will use underground bases and dont really class many things as an exploit more circumventing design.

Any chance player and zombie collision could be removed from Curtains (curtain_top1Sheet3 & curtain_bottom1Sheet3)? So much more realistic if beings could just push them aside.

Also any chance of making them so they can be colored/tinted/dyed?

If you remove collision, you won't be able to harvest them for fabric.

You're thinking of Melee collision versus Player and Zombie Movement collision. Removing the movement collision would still allow destroying them. For now my workaround has been to make the curtains canpickup true, but the better solution would be to remove movement collision (and maybe add canpickup).

I don't collide with grass but can harvest it. madmole removed it from the plants, and I bet you can still harvest them.

BTW - thanks for bringing this back to the end of the thread. I think it would be buried otherwise. :)

Why not? You can harvest grass.

I think he's talking about player and zombie collisions, not the ray cast or whatever that tools do.

Edit : Whoops, sorry Red, your post just showed up for me, I guess because I didn't refresh :p

Why not? You can harvest grass.

I think he's talking about player and zombie collisions, not the ray cast or whatever that tools do.

Edit : Whoops, sorry Red, your post just showed up for me, I guess because I didn't refresh :p

Don't be sorry, the more bumps and adds for a conversation on removing the movement collision from curtains I can get, I'll take. Improves the odds it will get seen. :)

Archived