Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Imo Roland should be assigned to the lizard symbol. Just have a look at the slit pupils of his avatar and compare them to putin's or cumberbatch's eyes (see below). He clearly belongs to the lizard people.

You're starting to make Roland appear handsome. Stop it.

---Edit---

*More handsome... Sorry Roland. :D

New avatar both confirms and reverses.

All blocks are stuctually sound not sure when you calculate this to set this tag on world build or on the fly when a block is altered ?

If it is on world build and SI checks verticaly at every square metre and the map size can be 20000 length width then 400000000 square metres.

But it builds regions on the fly so you would only need generated regions and i am guessing you need what is generated as a hub in the previewer and there are 144 of them.

So ~27777778 SI checks

The ground when generated since with current generation is solid to bedrock, I think tunnels/caves are added later, an exception may be gravel or sand with no SI? Should not add to the generation time significately I would expect depending on many variables, I don't know what their data structures are like, I would expect that ever type of ground could be loaded as a bulk load for most initial variables.

So if you built a prefab then all its blocks would have this flag set at the start of the world build unless you reset.

What happens when you start digging a 1m square hole i am guessing that TFP SI check is run on surrounding blocks and tags them.

All the time a hole is dug straight vertically there is only continuous SI check of the destroyed block and the one time primary extra 4 checks and tag routine at the start.

Yes a vertical hole should be trivial.

So maybe use this test

Locate a prefab placed in the centre of the map.

Dig a 1 block hole straight down 20m in the middle of the prefab building fill it with frames.

Five columns now down to bedrock tagged with SS.

Throw a stick of dynamite down though the frames.

Blows a 3*3*3 hole 20 m down.

Now i have not thought about what happens here regarding if the first block destroyed starts calculating SI or if all blocks that are destroyed are within a time that SI is calculated simultaneously.

I would say that the explosion happens so fast (as they do in real life), that the SI would only be calculated for the whole hol

Some type of order cue would avoid race conditions and you could start with closest to origin.

So there is 5*5 area that is on my checklist to start.

3*3 area are air blocks so SI checks are run.

Could be optimized to make sure that if a location of a block is already on the list then it is not re-added. Depends on checking against queue versus checking the actual block.

So what has been run.

20 checks to dig hole vertically

4 extra checks for surrounding blocks at the start.

20 checks to block hole up with wood frames.

16 extra checks for surrounding 3*3 area.

So i it has run 50% overhead of SI checks without adding the tagging implementation.

I can see the point of possibly saving checks further on but they could easily be negated or added to.

I am not a programmer but i am guessing that overhead is not viable even if you get gains out of it later on.

I am a programmer and when ever I see a system that interests me, I try to see how I would program it, and I can not stop myself! I really don't see it adding too much overhead system, mostly because most of those check happen one at a time, ie digging the hole and placing the wood frames, these checks the overhead is not that high for an individual check and it is also the number of these checks per second would be limited by your dig or place block rate. The effect of the explosion would definitely have increase things since there is a sudden increase in checks that are happening. Also if we are playing multiplayer then the client side could do the checks, if the players were significantly far apart. This may have other implications with allowing cheats and things but that should be able to be mitigated. Or just have the cheats shot.

You could also run this test with a well prefab in the map and throw a stick of dynamite down it to create a different test to a open hole.

I hope you dont mind me making a hole in the concept but i tried to make a realistic stress test for your concept and you need to break these things to improve them.

Happy to have holes dug. :-) (and then have the roof collapse on me!!!! )

Yep.

Give me a settlement, village, etc to build up and protect along side the NPC's. You'll get a lot more traction with this carrot as opposed to "kill them anywhere they are!" methods.

I dream of this. Me and NPC's blasting away hordes of zombies.

Dreamy Clare NPC to protect.

Annoying Susan and Paul NPC's to tell to shut up.

And the infamous Leroy to yell at, "YOU HAD ONE JOB! GROW POTATOES! ONE JOB LEROY!"...

Sounds great, one of the big mods has something like this. I see the NPCs as quests. Something like:

Build a radio system, or get a quest from a trader.

There is a person, or group of persons at this location you have to go and rescue them from the zombies and make sure they get back to the base Ok. The zombies can already be hassling them so you have the length of time that the POI will last to find and rescue them. They may come with various skills.

There could be a number of different quests and something limiting the number of people you have, ie can you feed them. You could then have quests around making sure that the farmer was able to get to the water to water the plants without being eaten.

Lots of things could happen.

Bless you. Stupid Yucca!!! I can drive straight again come A17! WOO!

- - - Updated - - -

What if we just turned this whole game into a Zombie Romance game. You actually spawn as a zombie and have to win over your bride/groom before some crazy redneck with a baseball bat bashes in their head. I think it would resolve the SI and Digger issues.

Or is this too much? Maybe next game?

I would prefer to have to avoid them, but I don't care that much.

- - - Updated - - -

all 4 meters :(

I liked to fill the gap with yuccas ^^

(no real issue for me, never used that really productive, only joking)

Yuccas never stopped zombies in my games, they just destroyed them and walked on.

I had an idea for another animal, what about alligators, ...

Well since the world is based on Arizona (Navezgane is in AZ and the RWG is based on Navezgane), alligators would not really fit. The wildlife so far is based on real AZ wildlife even to the extent that the “boar” is clearly a Javelina.

If more animals were to be added, I’d suggest either bobcats, mountain lions or bats. As well as some domestic barnyard animals like horses, goats, sheep and cattle.

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/urban_az_wildlife.shtml

Pip

The ground when generated since with current generation is solid to bedrock, I think tunnels/caves are added later, an exception may be gravel or sand with no SI?

Technically the deep layers of ground do not exist until you dig down so initially everything is perfectly supported but a cave might be generated under it later on.

Caves are rare given the size of the landmass but still...

I'm a compulsive list. Now figure out which is true!

You should stop being so one-dimensional. Maybe aspire to be a table.

Technically the deep layers of ground do not exist until you dig down so initially everything is perfectly supported but a cave might be generated under it later on.

Caves are rare given the size of the landmass but still...

You should stop being so one-dimensional. Maybe aspire to be a table.

I HATE virtual keyboards! Gah!

I had an idea for another animal, what about alligators, since the one plains biome, correct me if im wrong, seems swampy to me why not have them live there, both undead version and normal version, just a thought, hey Guppycur, check out my post back on page 221, let me know what you think, you are always full of ideas and comments and I respect a lot of your opinions, let me know what you think of the ideas i had back there.

The game is set in Arizona. No gators indigenous to AZ.

Archived