1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

oh my god my eyes

-A

lol. The sun in text?

- - - Updated - - -

Lol...the poll he brought up shows the majority want zombies to reach them anywhere. You guys are funny. The poll supports Jax but now Jax has already called the poll meaningless.

Oopsies....

Ooooooh that poll is meaningless. It failed to touch on some of the core points that people do want and can only acquire right now by being immune underground or via platform. Polls... Pft

- - - Updated - - -

This is a tempest in a teacup. Let the pimps implement what they plan before getting too bothered. In my experience they do things in a fair way with the means to mod away the parts you don’t like. (exhibit one: spam crafting “removal”)

Fair freaking enough.

Can we talk about nudging TFP to include some of the awesome player made prefabs in the game? That'd be a fun one.

Has at any time any thing posted in this forum had the smallest affect on gameplay? I hear some say the pimps don't listen, they are going to do what they want regardless of what is said. Then there are others who seem to say that they are miffed that they gave in to whiners (not my word :) ), or are afraid they will . Was wondering which it is.

So do we have any say on how this game will turn out. If not, all this back and forth bickering is for naught*.

* this post was made entirely so I could use the word naught...

Has at any time any thing posted in this forum had the smallest affect on gameplay? I hear some say the pimps don't listen, they are going to do what they want regardless of what is said. Then there are others who seem to say that they are miffed that they gave in to whiners (not my word :) ), or are afraid they will . Was wondering which it is.

So do we have any say on how this game will turn out. If not, all this back and forth bickering is for naught*.

Congratulations. It's not every day you can work the word naught in a conversation. Lol

Congratulations. It's not every day you can work the word naught in a conversation. Lol

I just want to attach a 'y' at the end of his naught.. :D

You want to make huge epic builds like that, turn the zombies off. That is what creative is for. Taking into account that someone wants to build a huge monstrosity like that and thusly shooting down the idea of advanced enemy threats is not in the best interest of content and longevity. The Pimps have given you a few options. Turn off zombies, or mod the ones you don't like out. It will take you 3 minutes to erase diggers from a spawn list.

Back on my server people built some ginormous uhh... things without having access to creative mode.

Constructions so big they didn't fit within the max view distance. And that doesn't even include the underground portions.

Builders gonna build. The prople arguing here are more the ones trying to become safe from all threats in the most economic way - which is an interesting challenge all by itself and it should be a challenge or it would cease to be interesting.

I find that the only people who use the word naught more than naughty are they who tend towards being haughty.

In other words, Gammy, I think you're haught for using naught. (Don't be distraught)

Now for a real answer if you feel you can handle the truth. Don't look if you are easily offended or disillusioned.

The pimps very rarely follow the advice of any forum faction when it comes to implementing game design and gameplay choices. Even when they do they will alter it or possibly drop it later if it doesn't fit with what they want to do. Sometimes they implement something similar to what a mod was already doing or what was hashed out on the forums but there is no evidence of causality to believe they were influenced or inspired by those things. I can tell you that in many cases TFP had plans to do it long before a modder created it or someone in Pimp Dreams posted about it.

They listen when there is a huge negative reaction and then make adjustments if it doesn't conflict with their own goals. If it is something they feel strongly about then the fans have to adapt and cope with it (or mod it out or in). Case in point, is the HUD. Removing the minimap and then later the food, water, and day and time were hugely unpopular. TFP added the day and time back in but have been firm on the rest of the HUD.

Another example are timers. They used to be optional but TFP made them mandatory and then allowed people to reduce them by spending XP. Some accused the Pimps of caving in to the "few" who pushed for timers. What they didn't know is that it was always planned to make timers mandatory but mitigate them with skills and perks.

They listen to aesthetics and visual and audio feedback from the forums. An example is the bob and sway that they reduced due to forum outcry and also there was a high pitched pinging sound that happened when you got stunned and they got rid of that thanks to feedback. The visual of the lava monster got changed thanks to the angry mobs.

They also investigate bug reports by forum members.

So are the Pimps swayed by our talk about game design and feature ideas? Not at all. They know what they want to do and while they might get distracted by forum talk of ziplines for a moment, they are not afraid to shrug off the spell and move back to their own vision.

So is it pointless to talk about this stuff? No way. It is fun and it also leads people like Tin to try out crazy modding ideas that can have cool results. But we shouldn't get upset by forum members saying that they hope the underworld will always stay 100% safe or other forum members saying they hope there are zero 100% safe zones in the game because nobody is brainwashing the Bearded One in either direction.

The problem was simply that by digging a 5 deep trench around such a spot the player would have a impenetrable platform.

I thought that was the intention. Seemed obvious...

Sometimes the zombies kill each other (due to the random swings). So cop explosions also matter. ^^

That was actually unintentional. A side effect of the fix to cars destroyed by zombies not killing zombies.

But it was awesome so it became a feature. ;)

I find that the only people who use the word naught more than naughty are they who tend towards being haughty.

In other words, Gammy, I think you're haught for using naught. (Don't be distraught)

Now for a real answer if you feel you can handle the truth. Don't look if you are easily offended or disillusioned.

The pimps very rarely follow the advice of any forum faction when it comes to implementing game design and gameplay choices. Even when they do they will alter it or possibly drop it later if it doesn't fit with what they want to do. Sometimes they implement something similar to what a mod was already doing or what was hashed out on the forums but there is no evidence of causality to believe they were influenced or inspired by those things. I can tell you that in many cases TFP had plans to do it long before a modder created it or someone in Pimp Dreams posted about it.

They listen when there is a huge negative reaction and then make adjustments if it doesn't conflict with their own goals. If it is something they feel strongly about then the fans have to adapt and cope with it (or mod it out or in). Case in point, is the HUD. Removing the minimap and then later the food, water, and day and time were hugely unpopular. TFP added the day and time back in but have been firm on the rest of the HUD.

Another example are timers. They used to be optional but TFP made them mandatory and then allowed people to reduce them by spending XP. Some accused the Pimps of caving in to the "few" who pushed for timers. What they didn't know is that it was always planned to make timers mandatory but mitigate them with skills and perks.

They listen to aesthetics and visual and audio feedback from the forums. An example is the bob and sway that they reduced due to forum outcry and also there was a high pitched pinging sound that happened when you got stunned and they got rid of that thanks to feedback. The visual of the lava monster got changed thanks to the angry mobs.

They also investigate bug reports by forum members.

So are the Pimps swayed by our talk about game design and feature ideas? Not at all. They know what they want to do and while they might get distracted by forum talk of ziplines for a moment, they are not afraid to shrug off the spell and move back to their own vision.

So is it pointless to talk about this stuff? No way. It is fun and it also leads people like Tin to try out crazy modding ideas that can have cool results. But we shouldn't get upset by forum members saying that they hope the underworld will always stay 100% safe or other forum members saying they hope there are zero 100% safe zones in the game because nobody is brainwashing the Bearded One in either direction.

You mean neat things like this?[ATTACH=CONFIG]23100[/ATTACH]fog/mist rising from water? ;)

Lol...the poll he brought up shows the majority want zombies to reach them anywhere. You guys are funny. The poll supports Jax but now Jax has already called the poll meaningless.

Oopsies....

He didn't link it, and I didn't care to look because using that poll in favor of or against is a silly idea to begin with. Because it IS meaningless, as you have stated so many times in the past the polls mean nothing to development so what exactly are you trying to point out here to me? So no, no Oopsies on my part.

Unless the "oopsies" is in relation to the devs now listening to the polls? Is that now the case? Or that a hundred or so people voting in that poll represents the general 7 Days gaming community? Because in the past it has been pointed out that these polls are for fun only.

EDIT - And now I see you posted that very same thing. So my post is now kind of redundant. But I'll still own it.

I thought that was the intention. Seemed obvious...

No, the intention was a area Zombies cant dig down into Bunkers/Basements 20 Blocks deep and destroy the Crates/Workstations and/or SI pillars there.

Sure this is only my opinion (or maybe the opinion of a minor group) but a Bunker you have as save place is allready Balanced by his Nature

100% save but No XP, No Loot, No intel about the sourroundings.

The safety is all a Bunker has on the +side

Back on my server people built some ginormous uhh... things without having access to creative mode.

Constructions so big they didn't fit within the max view distance. And that doesn't even include the underground portions.

Builders gonna build. The prople arguing here are more the ones trying to become safe from all threats in the most economic way - which is an interesting challenge all by itself and it should be a challenge or it would cease to be interesting.

Agree 100 percent. Half the fun is trying to get safe. And to that end getting safe should equal more than Dig Dig Dig Place Block Safe. Our server has some cool builds and the people there welcome challenges to them. Hell we have people who ask to have horde night done at their base so they can be stress tested. THAT is something I love. Put the work in, then throw it to the wolves and test it out.

But the notion that a vanilla world should have a safe place from the start to build big huge sprawling builds is in my opinion detrimental to the overall game. I WANT the challenges like Roland has said before, the underground could be a FANTASTIC place to explore and survive. For the builders who do not want to risk any damage you guys have given them a mode JUST for that, and even those who may not want to playing that mode, there is a toggle for it. I just dont know how much more they want from the default game in terms of built in safety.

But the notion that a vanilla world should have a safe place from the start to build big huge sprawling builds is in my opinion detrimental to the overall game.

Looks like a straw man fallacy to me. Who wants this? We are talking about digging zombies, right? They are only a subset of all possible underground threats. So if you're against digging zombies, you are not necessarily against underground threats in general.

I'll take it. That isn't a straw man fallacy. It's not even close to one actually.

What else?

Edit:

Ok, I admit that some of Royal's answers are kind of ambiguous but I don't think that he wants to 'have a safe place from the start' with 0 threats.

Hey, Royal Deluxe, what do you think about other underground threats (so not digging zombies)?

So I'm new to the forum but i do have some thought on the digging zombie and under ground threats. While personally i believe there should be no safe place in the game i can also understand people who do want some safe area.

What if there were multiple underground threats and the digging zombie was one however, the digger would spawn in most biomes except for the ones such as snow or wasteland areas. That way there would still be some form of threat underground but it wouldn't be a digger but you would have to be in an area that also had other things to deal with such as more varied temperature or something like that?

What else?

Edit:

Ok, I admit that some of Royal's answer are kind of ambiguous but I don't think that he wants to 'have a safe place from the start' with 0 threats.

Not as we started this topic. Somewhere after the 50th "Disable Zombies and shut up" alike post i stopped to differentiate. Makes no difference, the answer is finally "play as we tell you".

This topic is really not sensefull discussible.

Not as we started this topic. Somewhere after the 50th "Disable Zombies and shut up" alike post i stopped to differentiate. Makes no difference, the answer is finally "play as we tell you".

This topic is really not sensefull discussible.

At least the discussion was constructive at the beginning.^^

At least the discussion was constructive at the beginning.^^

I'm pretty sure Roland might... MIGHT... Have indicated that MM said they were focusing on things to go gold. And I don't think underground dangers are part of that.

Though... After gold... That's going to be an even harder sell. And trying to sell "well, turn off the main game feature, zombies." Isn't gonna fly especially after going gold.

Really doubt this is even worth worrying about and those who wanna piss and moan for underground dangers are gonna have to just deal with it. At least for a long while.

In the mean time... BANDITS AND NPCS! WOO! Can't wait to see those come!

I'm pretty sure Roland might... MIGHT... Have indicated that MM said they were focusing on things to go gold. And I don't think underground dangers are part of that.

Though... After gold... That's going to be an even harder sell. And trying to sell "well, turn off the main game feature, zombies." Isn't gonna fly especially after going gold.

Really doubt this is even worth worrying about and those who wanna piss and moan for underground dangers are gonna have to just deal with it. At least for a long while.

In the mean time... BANDITS AND NPCS! WOO! Can't wait to see those come!

Mark my words Jackel, the SECOND we get our hands on Bandits the forums will be a BLAZE with how much people hate them. Not many people play with bandits in their current form because they aren't finished so hopefully that changes, but unless you make bandits super rare my experience with people who have tried it has basically been that getting shot with an arrow or bullet from ranged causes a LOT of rage.

If you picture the zombies now and how one that goes buggy causes so much frustration, picture that same frustration but with a bandit with AI who can shoot at you and your base from a distance. I can't wait for bandits and NPC as well, but it may be time to have a discussion about what people are expecting from them. If they can throw explosives or target your loot containers I guarantee a wave of complaints.

Archived