PIMP TALK: Electricity + Doors - Your help is needed!!

themirror

PIMP TALK: Electricity + Doors - Your help is needed!!  

462 members have voted

1. 1. PIMP TALK: Electricity + Doors - Your help is needed!!

• doors
    • hatches
    • drawbridges
    • All of the above
    • None of the above

Would love to see the ability to automate doors and drawbridges. We have one person on our co-op server who is a bit obsessed with making sure people close the perimeter doors, and the amount of stress this would save them is considerable. It would also mean my minibike launch bay could be fully automated instead of someone having to manually open and close the drawbridge! The amount of convenience this would allow for, especially in more crowded bases, would make electricity all the more attractive.

The Range does not have to be long- 15 to 20 block range is sufficient But Remote would help with lights- motion sensors- spotlights- pretty much all things that are hard to get to when you have placed them in their final position.

• 2 weeks later...

The poll results actually reflect my own feelings pretty well. Drawbridges, certainly. Doors, probably. Hatches: whatever.

For the door, I'm not thinking normal doors, but garage doors and prison doors in particular. Hatches might be handy, because I use them as an improvised drawbridge sometimes, with two opposite each other.

But drawbridges, most certainly. It would be very nice to have them open/close based on a timer.

But the one thing that simply having a wired door wouldn't help with, is being able to open/close drawbridges and garage doors without getting out of one's bike.

*EDIT*: I hadn't read the original post -- motion sensors, of course! Yeah, let's wire up everything! :)

In fact I voted for all Doors,Hatches etc. to be able to receive a trigger call from a plate or via other electrical means. The reason why is, this gives players the most choices and might lead to some interesting combinations available for extending the game-play.

So definitively a +1 from me.

If you're talking about remote/proximity RFID keyless entry, then yes, I am all for it. They already have electronic locks (pin codes) in game, but like most electronic locks, they do not require external power. Probably because they have internal batteries that last years.

I think the whole concept of adding electric control to things that already exist and work manually is the wrong approach.

Since the M-word has already been brought up, I am one of those who got here via Minecraft. Towards the end, most of my time was spent coming up with insane things to do with pistons. If we want to talk about using electric portals (door, windows, etc), I think designing pistons that could move blocks would be the way to go. Rather than a giant gate in the outer wall, pistons that move 3x3 steel blocks to open or close an entrance would rock.

It would also, from everything I have heard, be a PITA to implement in the engine we use. Modders may have more experience and I would love to hear from them.

But, to me, pressure plate to drawbridge makes a lot less sense than pressure plate-toggle piston-move blocks.

I think the whole concept of adding electric control to things that already exist and work manually is the wrong approach.

Since the M-word has already been brought up, I am one of those who got here via Minecraft. Towards the end, most of my time was spent coming up with insane things to do with pistons. If we want to talk about using electric portals (door, windows, etc), I think designing pistons that could move blocks would be the way to go. Rather than a giant gate in the outer wall, pistons that move 3x3 steel blocks to open or close an entrance would rock.

It would also, from everything I have heard, be a PITA to implement in the engine we use. Modders may have more experience and I would love to hear from them.

But, to me, pressure plate to drawbridge makes a lot less sense than pressure plate-toggle piston-move blocks.

You forget that in Minecraft you can open doors with redstone! So Minecraft already has both electric doors and pistons.

Hopefully we will get them both.

• 2 weeks later...

I mean, for all the criticisms, how can a drawbridge, attached to a motion sensor, attached to a gas generator that's within reach from the outside of the base be a bad idea?

Even if the generator runs out of gas, it's not like gas is hard to come by, and gas generators last forever when attached to a motion sensor.

This is just a no-brainer for base automation. honestly, this is as good a use of the power mechanics as blade traps and turrets.

Yes please i'd very much like to be able to drive my bike over a plate and just roll on up to my base over my draw bridge like a boss please especially if it's dark and there are lurky lurkinsons about trying to at my brains.

But if i had to choose please do the draw bridge.

I've been thinking what the Pimps could do with electric doors when they build POIs:

Imagine being in a highrise, you trip a heat sensor that puts the building in automatic lockdown, doors slam shut and lock, and the alarms wake ALL of the sleepers....

Or, you find a survivors house that has the spikes outside, you jimmy open an electric door that activates booby traps...

Or, they allow us to have electric doors and horde night is a blast. Until the ever present red moon lightning shorts out part of your electrical system, opening all closed doors and closing the open ones, leading to pure havoc.

You find a large underground POI that looks like a military operation with huge hangar doors. Finding the battery bank, you fire up the system to open the doors only to discover they were built to contain.....BEHEMOTHS!!!!

Joel, how can you pass up opportunities like these? We know you like to make life exciting for us, so please give us electric doors?!?!!

+1...!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Yesssss

+1 Here, DEFINITELY need electric doors. think about it, how many people have been killed from a dog horde or ferals because they had to stop to open a stinkin door/drawbridge/hatch? set it up on a motion sensor, set it to only recognize the player, and BAM! haul ass to the base door, by the time you get there it will be open!

• 11 months later...

Maybe i missed something, but surely automatic doors present as much danger as convenience? If you can trigger a door so can a zombie, thats fair right? Same for pressure plates, so why would you want to increase the risk for the sake of convenience? The games about survival not convenience.

Don't get me wrong If its what people want i dont mind it as long as anything that can be triggered by us can be triggered by them, in terms of motion and pressure plates and then it comes back to switch on switch off which sort of negates the sensors and plates in the first place!

Maybe i missed something, but surely automatic doors present as much danger as convenience? If you can trigger a door so can a zombie, thats fair right? Same for pressure plates, so why would you want to increase the risk for the sake of convenience? The games about survival not convenience.

Don't get me wrong If its what people want i dont mind it as long as anything that can be triggered by us can be triggered by them, in terms of motion and pressure plates and then it comes back to switch on switch off which sort of negates the sensors and plates in the first place!

What?

970fWdY.gif

Why would anyone build a drawbridge opening that a zombie can trigger??????

I think you'll find almost unanimously that people want a remote way to open them from the minibike.

The whole idea being that we can drive in without having to get off the bike [twice].

Why..... having an entrance to your base the zombies can open???? Whaaaaat?

I don't get your logic.

What could possibly be the advantage to that?

Why would anyone build a drawbridge opening that a zombie can trigger.

Traps ... Put pressure plat at X spot at the end of the drawbridge, if a random horde or screamer or anything with more then 1 zombie triggers to plate, open drawbridge and see them slide into a pit of doom.

Or for easy access. Put multiple pressure plates but only one spot without. You drive over that empty spot and can enter. Any Zombie that hits the plates, opens the drawbridge. Yes, you have x change a zombie gets past on that one tile but still not a bad change to hit radio. Especially with hordes.

Or pressure plates all over then base, you have a little ramp, you jump over the plate but any zombie triggers the plates because they are slow.

Yoda: I sense a failure of imagination on this one :cocksure:

You forget that the game has motion sensors, which can be set to be triggered only by players. So thats what most people would do to raise their drawbridge. No risk of zombies getting in.

- - - Updated - - -

Traps ... Put pressure plat at X spot at the end of the drawbridge, if a random horde or screamer or anything with more then 1 zombie triggers to plate, open drawbridge and see them slide into a pit of doom.

Or for easy access. Put multiple pressure plates but only one spot without. You drive over that empty spot and can enter. Any Zombie that hits the plates, opens the drawbridge. Yes, you have x change a zombie gets past on that one tile but still not a bad change to hit radio. Especially with hordes.

Or pressure plates all over then base, you have a little ramp, you jump over the plate but any zombie triggers the plates because they are slow.

Yoda: I sense a failure of imagination on this one :cocksure:

Why not using motion sensors?

Hahaha that's awesome!

I can totally see that in my mind!

8zRzzbc.gif

I don't use the electricity system much at all, but It would be nice if you could like set a motoion sensor, that will detect only players, and then open the door for you, and then close it after a few seconds when no player is in the sensors range. Would have to set it up to only reconize certan players though for MP servers.

Archived