Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

Posted (edited)

It looks like they forgot to remove the bone knife requirement for harvesting raw meat.  Either than or harvesting snakes and chickens doesn't count.  The next time I find something to skin, I'll try one hit with the hunting knife and check status and then one hit with the bone knife and check status and see if it really isn't removed from the requirements or if there's just something else going on.

Seems I can also see through fences.  Lol.  I can see a hazy image of a zombie that is walking along the other side of a wooden fence.  It is like a blur of the fence colors in the shape of the zombie with enough detail that you can pretty much tell which zombie.  Unfortunately screenshots don't capture that for some reason and I about got killed trying. Heh.  Nice to have a super power, I suppose.  :D

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

first proper go today (had a big promotion so been working my a** off)

controller controls suck. cant play it without the key board and mouse.

wtf? really, someone needs to be shot. very very very disappointed

cant even customise the controls. total bs.

buttons have been swapped. functions are missing. no cursor. have to use right button and trigger and joystick to pedal a bike in turbo? really?

sprinting doesnt work all the time, need to grind my thumb on the joystick.

ready for the hate, bring it on. why the hell are the controls so so so different????

absolutely ruins the whole experience

This isn't a complaint but an observation, and if it's
only with me let me know.

The cop spit tracking and trajectory may need to be changed
to the primitive bow and arrow arc parameters.

There is no actual strafing, although there is movement side
to side. It seems like the tracking of the spit is focused on
the player instead of the position in 3d space that the player
occupied at point of projection.

It causes a sort of boomerang effect. I have to time it perfectly
and move at the last second of impact to avoid it. The other
reason i think it's the player is because it often explodes above
the ground, at chest level.

The only way to disrupt the tracking is to be at a different Y and
have an obstruction to move behind.  

It's similar to the way the bandits aimed before, the sphere is so small
that they only shot you even when moving around horizontally. I still
fight them but most of the time i need a collider as wide as my character
and three paces back, because it wraps around.

38 minutes ago, NukemDed said:

buttons have been swapped. functions are missing. no cursor. have to use right button and trigger and joystick to pedal a bike in turbo? really?

ready for the hate, bring it on. why the hell are the controls so so so different????

You dare criticize TFP????

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, FramFramson said:

They said bike armour will not be coming because the model was actually made incorrectly (two separate models), and the code won't support it and also "armour on a bicycle is dumb".

Still hoping the storage mods won't take too long to implement. They're not cancelled or anything at least, just delayed.

20240627_235318.jpg

It's not dumb! Who doesn't want to ram a zombie with a trash can

Also 19 days. Before I can cry about no bike armor. 

And daily reminder I would kill for theses shapes 

Screenshot_20240706_093449_YouTube.jpg

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

To each their own but i dont understand why someone would use an inferior controller on a PC game. I get you have no choice on a console but keyboard and mouse are so much more accutate.  

You dont see PC E-Sport pros using a controller... 

On 6/25/2024 at 10:14 PM, dcsobral said:

I'm not trying to be a smartass -- this is a genuine suggestion/question: turn the brightness down?

Not taking you as a smart arse, I've already turned the brightness down and I can still see perfectly well through the whole night without a light source. Inside is different, but outside is very bright. 

2 hours ago, spud42 said:

To each their own but i dont understand why someone would use an inferior controller on a PC game. I get you have no choice on a console but keyboard and mouse are so much more accutate.  

Heck, at this point you can use KBM on a lot of console games as well. I start Minecraft on the 360 and finally moved back to PC and once I played using KBM I would never go back to controller.

That being said, I don't remember anyone really complaining about controllers too much before 1.0, so wonder what made TFP make the changes that they did. Maybe I'll use a controller next time I launch the game and see what all the fuss is about.

1 hour ago, The-Walking-Dad said:

Not taking you as a smart arse, I've already turned the brightness down and I can still see perfectly well through the whole night without a light source. Inside is different, but outside is very bright. 

There's the moon phase thing people mentioned. It felt true to me based on alpha 21, but I'm not seeing much difference in this experimental. I have a suspicion now: they want people to go out at night to hunt, and you can't hunt if you can't see the animals.

1 hour ago, bdubyah said:

Heck, at this point you can use KBM on a lot of console games as well. I start Minecraft on the 360 and finally moved back to PC and once I played using KBM I would never go back to controller.

That being said, I don't remember anyone really complaining about controllers too much before 1.0, so wonder what made TFP make the changes that they did. Maybe I'll use a controller next time I launch the game and see what all the fuss is about.

Changing the controls is one thing, but not allowing people to rebind keys or buttons in 2024 is one hell of a game design choice.

5 hours ago, spud42 said:

i like to play sitting on the couch with my feet up after a long hard day. i seem to be accurate enough. i outperform my sons in mp and they are so called guns at fortmight, cod etc.

its technique i suppose.

irl you dont hold the crosshair on your target then pull the trigger, you pull as the crosshair passes over it. its more accurate and quicker to get a shot off.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, NukemDed said:

I don't think you'll see much hate. The almost universal response from controller players has been critical and the almost universal response from keyboard/mouse players has been meh....

Not a lot of defense being posted about the new scheme.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

29 minutes ago, wolfbain5 said:

not sure what is going on about light, this is day time in the forest in my game
image.thumb.png.c629b1c14f5460880a704594e7d47b61.png

All the time or just sometimes?  It looks like it is about to rain.  You can also have the fog without the darkness.

Do we know which armor sets are coming later? I can't remember if they're slated for the next update o0n the roadmap or not, and I only remember the Desert Survivor Set, the Hoarder set, and I think the Marauder. Are there other unreleased sets coming with those?

28 minutes ago, Old Crow said:

Do we know which armor sets are coming later? I can't remember if they're slated for the next update o0n the roadmap or not, and I only remember the Desert Survivor Set, the Hoarder set, and I think the Marauder. Are there other unreleased sets coming with those?

I hope so! I'm start my audio for my video.

I hope we get some more. Like a hunter set. Or a true millitary set with a helmet! 

Or a firefighter set

The difference between k&M use and Pad is a generational thing.
It's not absolute but its there.

If a person started playing games using at the time it was called
a joystick. That became the muscle memory set for them. Then came
the pads as consoles progressed. Next the pads were adapted to pc
because there was a big enough market.

From a personal preference, I use a keyboard and mouse for some games
ex: banished, ultima online, tetris, safe cracker, 7th guest, 11th hour, and
Myst not mist survival, cities skylines. The common denominator is
point and click, object oriented, exact locations to pickup an object.

7DTD is a free form 3d movement world. The movement via a pad creates a
more natural arc of movement. I can easily circle around the prey while
constantly facing them. When walking; people don't move in 45' angles.
Watching game plays by others, when they are using a k&M setup is abrupt
changes in direction. Many of them will make reference to PVP, That is
a free form movement environment converted to a point and click scenario.
There it is needed because you are playing more against a real time player
vs npc or ai.

As a defense, references are often made pointing to people that professionally
use that config and are paid well for it. I watch, enjoy, and applaud them.

My sons use that mode of play. But the mention or use of their name or status,
is more akin to using a professional racer that uses manual drive to shift and drift,

and then driving home in an auto tranni hoopdee, at the speed limit. They worked at

and honed there skill to make it a profession.

I personally, would need a 2 foot square mousepad, in order to achieve the smoother
type of movement, that I get from 1 button and a stick.

1 hour ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

The difference between k&M use and Pad is a generational thing.
It's not absolute but its there.

If a person started playing games using at the time it was called
a joystick. That became the muscle memory set for them. Then came
the pads as consoles progressed. Next the pads were adapted to pc
because there was a big enough market.

From a personal preference, I use a keyboard and mouse for some games
ex: banished, ultima online, tetris, safe cracker, 7th guest, 11th hour, and
Myst not mist survival, cities skylines. The common denominator is
point and click, object oriented, exact locations to pickup an object.

7DTD is a free form 3d movement world. The movement via a pad creates a
more natural arc of movement. I can easily circle around the prey while
constantly facing them. When walking; people don't move in 45' angles.
Watching game plays by others, when they are using a k&M setup is abrupt
changes in direction. Many of them will make reference to PVP, That is
a free form movement environment converted to a point and click scenario.
There it is needed because you are playing more against a real time player
vs npc or ai.

As a defense, references are often made pointing to people that professionally
use that config and are paid well for it. I watch, enjoy, and applaud them.

My sons use that mode of play. But the mention or use of their name or status,
is more akin to using a professional racer that uses manual drive to shift and drift,

and then driving home in an auto tranni hoopdee, at the speed limit. They worked at

and honed there skill to make it a profession.

I personally, would need a 2 foot square mousepad, in order to achieve the smoother
type of movement, that I get from 1 button and a stick.

To some extent I would agree.  But if you are good with keyboard and mouse, you aren't doing 45 degree movement.  That happens if you don't use the mouse.  But with mouse, it is easy to have normal movement.  No, it isn't exactly the same, but it also isn't exactly critical to move exactly like it real life. 

It really comes down to preference, though.  And I don't think most people choose based on how realistically they can move.  Keyboard and mouse tend to be used more by people who want control over customizing their controls while controllers tend to be used more by those who are okay with a set control scheme (yes, sometimes you have limited options to change that, but nowhere near what you can do with keyboard).

For me, I prefer setting controls up the way I want.  Developers often don't set the defaults the way I like, so being able to change them is good.  Movement on controllers is nice.  No complaint there.  But just about every other control just gets to be a pain.  And games designed for controllers usually have such a minimal control scheme due to the limitations of controllers that they just feel simplistic to me.  But that's just my opinion.

3 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

hmm, she speaks, but is gone?image.thumb.png.973b421c92dba834b430e51e9c061f87.png
found her, but look where

image.thumb.png.0362e1bc11e629c4239e5fba72c02a98.png

Hold E on her and press the X when it pops up. She'll reappear behind her desk in a few seconds. 

And consider yourself lucky that it's that dark. I've been using a mod to make the nights darker and they're still too bright. Though I just discovered that shutting off anti aliasing makes the night much darker. 

@Riamus

There can be no wrong or right with this. I accept settings to an extent, then I use a k@m emulator if it really feels too

awkward to move and the base settings are locked. I've adjusted the key combos from the beginning, when the settings

go too far for my taste.  I'm on an electronic register with a dumb terminal all day, not dumb as in stupid, I mean one with

a limited OS posting to a server.

Using the pad gives me solace from that.

8 hours ago, Roland said:

I don't think you'll see much hate. The almost universal response from controller players has been critical and the almost universal response from keyboard/mouse players has been meh....

Not a lot of defense being posted about the new scheme.

its nothing to do with the keyboard and mousers, they should stay in their lane. i really really dont care what they think of controllers. they dont use them, they simply cannot understand. they should respect the controller users and remain silent on the topic

had another good poke today and found where the quick actions were. have to hold y and then they work? used to just work. meh to that but can cope. still want my cursor back

most annoying thing is how quiet the devs are on this. a whole thread on it and nothing

still need to use mouse and keyboard to make inventory management and trading and crafting tolerable

shame really as the gameplay feels great

8 hours ago, Arez said:

Hold E on her and press the X when it pops up. She'll reappear behind her desk in a few seconds. 

And consider yourself lucky that it's that dark. I've been using a mod to make the nights darker and they're still too bright. Though I just discovered that shutting off anti aliasing makes the night much darker. 

thanks, that fixed it right up

Has anyone bought any water filters? given how much harder dukes are to come by they feel like a luxury item and I would never actually buy them because I would much rather spend 6 minutes of my time just boiling the water then spending an hours worth of questing  dukes to get the same result.

Water filters are too expensive for what they do and feel useless because of there price. the convenience just isn't worth the extra cost.