So the z took one step towards me then turned around and attacked a tree

ElCabong

I did the Hoarder's House -- the yellow L-shaped building packed with junk. Every zombie I triggered ran away and tried to attack a door or a wall. The big momma zombie which drops through the roof when you go inside from the back garden, she got right up and ran off through the building. The nurses in the kitchen wandered off into the living room after her, even though I was right in front of them in the hall.

I'm curious -- what happens if a zombie leaves a building that you're trying to clear, and wanders outside the mission zone? Can they do that? Some of the pathing in A21 has been very unusual.

18 minutes ago, OneManStanding said:

I did the Hoarder's House -- the yellow L-shaped building packed with junk. Every zombie I triggered ran away and tried to attack a door or a wall. The big momma zombie which drops through the roof when you go inside from the back garden, she got right up and ran off through the building. The nurses in the kitchen wandered off into the living room after her, even though I was right in front of them in the hall.

I'm curious -- what happens if a zombie leaves a building that you're trying to clear, and wanders outside the mission zone? Can they do that? Some of the pathing in A21 has been very unusual.

I've wondered about zombies wandering out of the mission zone too. So far they've decided to attack me no matter where I'm at. It can be a chore to find them. 

I've stated before that in my opinion there needs to be two separate AI settings. One for horde night where a longer AI update rate is good to keep things more random and unpredictable and then another setting for everyday interactions where the AI is more like A17 where they are perfectly focused on the player and keep coming at you relentlessly as you explore POIs. The A17 AI was too predictable and manipulatable during the tower defense aspect of horde night but it was super fun when dealing with zombies in smaller doses within POIs.

13 hours ago, OneManStanding said:

12 hours ago, ElCabong said:

I've wondered about zombies wandering out of the mission zone too. So far they've decided to attack me no matter where I'm at. It can be a chore to find them. 

They will eventually respawn into sleeper state in the POI.  I've had that happen with vultures that flew away and even a few regular zombies.  It's noticeable when they either spawn in somewhere you know you've been through and in a place where there aren't triggers and also when you suddenly see a red dot turn into a yellow dot.  It's not very common to run into it, though.  They usually stay nearby but I also started making sure to hit the vultures as soon as possible so they can't end up flying away.

2 hours ago, Riamus said:

They will eventually respawn into sleeper state in the POI.  I've had that happen with vultures that flew away and even a few regular zombies.  It's noticeable when they either spawn in somewhere you know you've been through and in a place where there aren't triggers and also when you suddenly see a red dot turn into a yellow dot.  It's not very common to run into it, though.  They usually stay nearby but I also started making sure to hit the vultures as soon as possible so they can't end up flying away.

I've seen this pretty often at the Dead Rooster (I think that's the name...the bar with all the chickens.)  The chickens are part of the clear quest, and there are some that immediately run up the stairs and tend to jump out the window when you first enter the building.  If they completely run off, they just respawn in the same area they spawned originally.

Can't recall it ever happening anywhere else expect maybe higashi, where sometimes the zombies fall off ledges when you're quite high up and seem to lose aggro on you and wander off sometimes.