Smell that attracts zombies when there is smelly food in the inventory

Survager

The smell of food in the game that attracts zombies  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the smell returned to the game, so that zombies will be able to find the player when they have smelly food in their inventory?

• Yes, that would be cool!
    • No, it's not needed in the game.
    • Don't care

I remember it being annoying in the game, but for the sake of immersion, I'd say yes, definitely get that back in the game. I don't even understand why the devs removed it (like so many other cool things they removed).

I had this idea where at some point, the devs would implement it in such a way that they could smell it in wooden / non-sealed storage too so that we could lure the zombies into trap areas and replacing the bait once in a while as the food rots away. Why they never pursued that is beyond me. My best guess is they're still busy trying to remake every little feature slightly better for the hundredth time and don't have time for immersive features like this. Although I guess I should bite my tongue this time as from my understanding, they're currently working on bandits or something? Can't wait to see that (and not just from a mod).

Edited by Fox (see edit history)

It was a cool feature. From memory you had to boil it to reduce the smell? Or that might be another game.

Im guessing it messed with the sleeping zombies in POIs, as it was removed a bit before then. All the zombies in the area would come at you.

Maybe it it only activated once the zombies are alerted…

^this 

Feral sense seems to accomplish the same thing but without creating another thing you micromanage away.  That is all smell really would turn into, something you work around once you get enough stuff and forget it even exists.

Feral sense is pretty fun IMHO, it makes the zeds much more of a problem.  I do wish it worked better with the stealth perks though.  It basically removes that aspect.

1 hour ago, Weazelsun said:

I mean do our characters even bathe. I'm pretty sure we don't even need food to attract zombies. We're stinky enough as it is.

That would actually be a cool mechanic in the game ngl, where you would have to wash and clean yourself over time. Not doing so for many days on end, maybe it can affect some skills/stats and attract certain zombies to your location.

Not an expert in the genre (and stand to be corrected) but I would expect zombies to be attracted to human tissue (or brains) and not "the smell of meat".  So with that in mind I find feral sense more "immersive" than "food smell".

So playing around with masking the "human/brains" smell and perhaps giving individual zombie types different feral sense ranges would be a different approach.  The Joke Mod allows crafting of "Gore Armour" which helps hide a player from zombies but the Mod also uses "stink" much like infection.

I think the best balance would be raw meat be the only "Smell" detected.

Zombies aren't going to want your cornbread or hard boiled eggs. Gives you a reason to cook it quickly since we dont have food spoilage

15 hours ago, FA_Q2 said:

Feral sense is pretty fun IMHO, it makes the zeds much more of a problem.  I do wish it worked better with the stealth perks though.  It basically removes that aspect.

this is why raw meat attracting makes sense. If you manage your inventory it still allows a stealth build while giving you a taste of feral sense.

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

On 3/9/2023 at 4:33 AM, Weazelsun said:

Yeah, that'd be an interesting mechanic or have it affected the prices at the trader. Since Trader Rekt does say "Nice time bathe before you come" or something along those lines.

You could even have it so hunting becomes more challenging due to animals being able to pick up your sent more. I forgot what game I played a long time ago where, not cleaning and washing yourself over time can have an affect on your characters skills, morale, and hunting. With that being said, the one you mentioned about the Traders would be pretty cool as well.

Just in case, even when "feral sense" is turned on, you can reduce the visibility of the character with the help of stealth, but the smell of fresh meat simply won't allow you to do this ) Plus, a long stay of the character, with meat in the inventory, in one place could cause a screamer zombie )

Edited by Survager (see edit history)