RTX 4080 and i7 13700k with 64gb ddr4 3600 mhz - massive stuttering

Robeloto

Now I have finally gotten back to this awesome game to experience it on my new PC. I use a 1440p monitor for it and everything is set to high/ultra. I also use this PC as a dedicated server for 7 days. When there is more zombies in action like hordes or bloodmoon hordes, it starts to stutter very bad. My monitor is 144 hz and I have capped my fps to 141 fps and vertical sync is on in nvidia and off in the game.

Before it was the same stuttering, but then I had only I7 7700k + 2080ti and 32gb ram. So I can't be the only one that is experiencing this. It is only happening in this game.

Edit: What is weird is that it works perfect on my old PC with GTX 680 and i7 2600k and 16gb DDR3.

Edited by Robeloto (see edit history)

Can you give us more computer specs?  I don't think it is your video card as my setup is a bit similar.

I have a RTX 2080 Super with an AMD Ryzen 7.  The game runs smooth like butter on my side.  I do see a FPS drop in cities because of the issues that fataal has already identified and fixing, but I don't see any stuttering like you are probably experiencing, especially during hordes or bloodmoon nights.

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

Can you give us more computer specs?  I don't think it is your video card as my setup is a bit similar.

I have a RTX 2080 Super with an AMD Ryzen 7.  The game runs smooth like butter on my side.  I do see a FPS drop in cities because of the issues that fataal has already identified and fixing, but I don't see any stuttering like you are probably experiencing, especially during hordes or bloodmoon nights.

Chassi: Fractal Torrent

CPU:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-13700K   3.40 ghz

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 4080 TUF Gaming OC 2xHDMI 3xDP 16GB

Mobo: MSI Z690a PRO WIFI DDR4

RAM: Patriot Viper Blacked 64GB (32x2GB) DDR4 3600mhz

SSD: Crucial P3 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD 3500MB/s

What version drivers are you using?

Also are you boosting / overclocking?

And i just realized I was way off on video cards (2 families behind, geez  😉 ).  You got twice as many cores as I do, and have twice as much RAM memory.  Faster SSD.  But somehow, my computer runs more stable that yours does when playing 7 days to die.  I will have to check my video game settings when I get home.  I choose performance over video quality so I probably don't have Ultra on my settings like you do.

2 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

What version drivers are you using?

Also are you boosting / overclocking?

And i just realized I was way off on video cards (2 families behind, geez  😉 ).  You got twice as many cores as I do, and have twice as much RAM memory.  Faster SSD.  But somehow, my computer runs more stable that yours does when playing 7 days to die.  I will have to check my video game settings when I get home.  I choose performance over video quality so I probably don't have Ultra on my settings like you do.

Hey again. I have the newest drivers and I am only using XMP on. But I will try with XMP off also. I can play for 1 hour and then suddenly it starts stuttering and I have to restart game to get rid of it. I will try to reinstall steam completely also.

I have my settings on high, but seems to make no difference. =/

Here' s something simple to check: Verify your ram is actually running at 3600. Open task manager and look under Performance: 

image.thumb.png.8c2ac1d553037b1dea05052d4301958f.png

You probably can turn on Resizable BAR in your BIOS (google it for your motherboard, as most of them put things in different spots/call them different things), XMP if your ram is not running at 3600 is likely not stable. If it is running at 3600, list what the XMP profile it set it to (like 16/18/18/36/54), the timings may not fully be stable.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I would try is when the game starts stuttering, look at your task manager (easiest if it is already open and you just alt-tab to it).  See what, if any, of your hardware is hitting 100%.  This should at least narrow down where the problem is.

That was how I learned that running the game on my HDD was causing problems for me as the hard drive was hitting 100% usage at times.  Switching to my SSD dropped that significantly. Now I only have trouble in large cities, usually after completing a tier 5 POI, until I get out of the city or sometimes if the game is running for a really long time.  I never have issues with horde night.  And I'm running the game on a slow computer (only 8GB RAM).  I'm not on ultra - just a bit over medium, of course.

Note that I do have to close Chrome or the game does start slowing down after a short time.  Perhaps if you are running anything in the background, try closing it and see if that helps.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

On 12/22/2022 at 9:04 AM, Robeloto said:

Edit: What is weird is that it works perfect on my old PC with GTX 680 and i7 2600k and 16gb DDR3.

I also find this really weird, but it's been mentioned a few times, restricting the game to only 4 physical cores delivers better performance than letting the operating system choose which cores should host the process. 2600k = 4 core processor. Coincidence?

Might be worth giving the process affinity hack a shot.

21 hours ago, Riamus said:

One thing I would try is when the game starts stuttering, look at your task manager (easiest if it is already open and you just alt-tab to it).  See what, if any, of your hardware is hitting 100%.  This should at least narrow down where the problem is.

That's... a very hit and miss method, and leads people to claim "My CPU is only at about 17%! So no way is it my CPU being too slow"... On a 6 core system, with one process maxing out a single core, and the other 5 cores sitting virtually idle. Task Manager also doesn't show the utilisation of the RAM channels. If a process requests a page of memory, and has to wait, it's not marked as utilised in Windows, it's marked as idle.

7D2D is infamous for having big FPS drops with very low resource utilisation.

Have you tried the game with a frame rate limit of say 72fps yet? Lowering the frame rate cap also lowers the frame times and makes them more consistent so there's less frame jumps. Given that this game isn't a competitive shooter, I don't imagine you'd even notice the lack of fps anyway and your GPU would appreciate the reduced stress / heat too.

I assume you have the game installed on ssd?

8 hours ago, Pernicious said:

That's... a very hit and miss method, and leads people to claim "My CPU is only at about 17%! So no way is it my CPU being too slow"... On a 6 core system, with one process maxing out a single core, and the other 5 cores sitting virtually idle. Task Manager also doesn't show the utilisation of the RAM channels. If a process requests a page of memory, and has to wait, it's not marked as utilised in Windows, it's marked as idle.

7D2D is infamous for having big FPS drops with very low resource utilisation.

I wasn't suggesting that it would guarantee results, but that it could point to an issue.  Obviously, even with everything at low utilization, you can have problems.  But if you check it and find something maxed out, it is likely where the problem is and this is a very easy thing to check.  Anything else you might want to check is going to be harder to check or verify, which is why I suggested this to potentially point in the right direction.  Maybe I wasn't as clear as I could be that this suggestion wasn't a guarantee.

• 1 month later...

Just reinstalled game after half a year or even more. Brand new system. 12900k/4080/32Gb DDR5 Ram & game installed on brand new Samsung Gen 4 980 Pro. Stuttering is all over the place, and happens randomly. Be it while in combat, or just while using mouse and changing camera angles. I had same stuttering again before a year with my old pc with 2070s+10900k. It's me? I don't think so. Friend of mine with Ryzen 7800 xd3+6900 xt, just bought the game 2 days ago. Guess what: EXACT same stuttering issues. And it's happening not only in coop, but in both of us even while offline.  My mate alrdy refunded it at least (Steam). What can i do?  I'm playing everything else (2077/RDR2, etc) in my native resolution (3840x1600) JUST FINE and maxed out, expect 7DTD. So, either i'm forced to play it Minecraft style with 1024x768 resolution and everything in low, and/or  keep waiting another 10 years and buying RTX 10090 Ti, to have an actual decent performance?  Fix your game TFP, please.

4 hours ago, iDoser said:

Just reinstalled game after half a year or even more. Brand new system. 12900k/4080/32Gb DDR5 Ram & game installed on brand new Samsung Gen 4 980 Pro. Stuttering is all over the place, and happens randomly. Be it while in combat, or just while using mouse and changing camera angles. I had same stuttering again before a year with my old pc with 2070s+10900k. It's me? I don't think so. Friend of mine with Ryzen 7800 xd3+6900 xt, just bought the game 2 days ago. Guess what: EXACT same stuttering issues. And it's happening not only in coop, but in both of us even while offline.  My mate alrdy refunded it at least (Steam). What can i do?  I'm playing everything else (2077/RDR2, etc) in my native resolution (3840x1600) JUST FINE and maxed out, expect 7DTD. So, either i'm forced to play it Minecraft style with 1024x768 resolution and everything in low, and/or  keep waiting another 10 years and buying RTX 10090 Ti, to have an actual decent performance?  Fix your game TFP, please.

I’m running a 5950x and a 3090 @ 4k resolution with all items maxed except I turned off shadows, reflections & occlusion. I get a steady 140 fps which will drop to 80 on horde night with 4 players. I have zero stutters, none at all. You should play with the settings a bit. Shadows and reflections are brutal on a system and I don’t like how occlusion looks like.

5 hours ago, iDoser said:

Been on this PC for a while, and the OS is a tad corrupted from crashes. 

R9 3900X, 6800XT, 32GB DDR4, Game installed on pair of NVMe's in RAID, saves are on SSD. 

I play at 1440p with these video options. I usually get 120-160FPS except around the troublesome skyscrapers, tree farms, or large complex bases. I rarely go below 90FPS though unless we're playing with BM's set to max. 

Most of it is realizing that higher resolutions and un-optimized graphics features will kick you in the ass. It's isn't some flat 2D already finished title like CyberPlunk. This is an in-development un-optimized 3D Voxel game. Having a higher resolution taxes your CPU more. Having un-optimized video settings enable taxes both CPU and GPU more.
And it doesn't matter if you have 128 CPU cores. 99% of games will only use one.

7 hours ago, iDoser said:

And I'm on the low end with only 8GB RAM and right stutter at all except on since cases around tier 5 POI.  Granted, in not at Max settings (I'm a bit higher than default medium), but it works fine.  Max settings are likely to give you problems even on best hardware, from what I've heard.  And this game you can lower settings and still get almost the same quality.