Do you prefer the new gun crafting introducing in alpha 18 or the old gun crafting with gun parts (Barrels , stocks , receivers etc).

LastTugBoat243

Do you prefer the new gun crafting introducing in alpha 18 or the old gun crafting with gun parts (Barrels , stocks , receivers etc).  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the new gun crafting introducing in alpha 18 or the old gun crafting with gun parts (Barrels , stocks , receivers etc).

• New Gun Crafting.
    • Old Gun Crafting.

I liked the old method with the parts that had quality and your gun was the average of them all. But I prefer the new method with the mod attachments and hope they continue to introduce more once they get to the point where they can focus on adding more variety of stuff. Sticking a mod that adds abilities to the basic gun is more exciting than just a part that makes it a basic gun but perhaps at a slightly better quality.  We just need moar!!

Both systems have their strengths. 

31 minutes ago, Roland said:

I liked the old method with the parts that had quality and your gun was the average of them all. But I prefer the new method with the mod attachments and hope they continue to introduce more once they get to the point where they can focus on adding more variety of stuff. Sticking a mod that adds abilities to the basic gun is more exciting than just a part that makes it a basic gun but perhaps at a slightly better quality.  We just need moar!!

Would of been cool if we got to see a combination of weapon assembly and mod attachment's. 😪

Maybe. “Kitchen sink” designs often sound good because you are getting everything but they don’t always end up playing as well as they seemed in theory. Having both versions would have been a pretty complex weapon system involving multiple interfaces and problems regarding available mod slots for guns that could change in quality depending on the mix of parts. Maybe it would have been the absolute best. The devs didn’t think so and swapped one for the other rather than doing a hybrid. 

I like the part method because if feels more realistic to me and scratched the Fallout weapon crafting itch a little. If we had a more modular system like Fallout that would be the ideal win.

Parts Gated by the

related gun range skill + engineering / 2

both skills at 5 would unlock all weapon parts for a given style of weapon, but you can swap out things like stocksgrip/barrels/receivers to create the base gun to determine handling/fire rate/caliber

I like both, but would prefer the part swapping to come back. Since item degradation isn't gonna be a thing, always being on the hunt for better parts would be and was always something to keep me engaged in loot and stuff, even in later game times. I just like scrounging things together.

Organizing parts for guns you couldn't assemble yet was always a good nighttime task as well. I remember them naming that as something they didn't like, but people still do the same type of stuff anyway. Might just be organizing your sell-to-trader items instead of gun parts...

What I liked about the old method was that you could improve your weapon over time. With the new method, you're stuck with one quality level until you have enough parts to build a new one.

A nice side effect for me was that you rarely found fully assembled weapons. This made weapons that you could make yourself without parts more meaningful. You used the bow and melee weapons much longer than just the first few days.

The advantage of the new method is that the chest with parts is much cleaner since there is only one type of parts for each type of weapon.

11 hours ago, Roland said:

To be honest old system + gun attachments could be merged together and this could be the best system

10 hours ago, Roland said:

Maybe. “Kitchen sink” designs often sound good because you are getting everything but they don’t always end up playing as well as they seemed in theory. Having both versions would have been a pretty complex weapon system involving multiple interfaces and problems regarding available mod slots for guns that could change in quality depending on the mix of parts. Maybe it would have been the absolute best. The devs didn’t think so and swapped one for the other rather than doing a hybrid. 

Well such complexed system would be great - to be honest - a lot of things in 7dtd are too much simplefied

2 hours ago, Matt115 said:

To be honest old system + gun attachments could be merged together and this could be the best system

Well such complexed system would be great - to be honest - a lot of things in 7dtd are too much simplefied

I said the same thing. If both systems were combined it would awesome. It would be better than both of the of the systems on there own.

6 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I am not sure anymore, but i think you needed to find the parts? Or the molds? If there isn´t any rng luck involved i don´t mind either method. Hiding the crafting behind luck is simply bad game design imo, so gimme whatever method doesn´t involve luck.

Both systems require some kind of luck because you have to find the book or schematic to unlock the crafting and then you have to find the parts. I think the only way to get past the luck is to buy the book , parts or gun from the trader and sometimes that requires luck as well. Or at least better bartering.😅

50 minutes ago, LastTugBoat243 said:

Both systems require some kind of luck because you have to find the book or schematic to unlock the crafting and then you have to find the parts. I think the only way to get past the luck is to buy the book , parts or gun from the trader and sometimes that requires luck as well. Or at least better bartering.😅

It depends on how you design the system. In some mods you can craft the parts.  Then you don't need luck anymore. So that the player does not craft the parts right at the start, the parts are often locked behind a high level or a certain workbench.

8 hours ago, Matt115 said:

5 hours ago, LastTugBoat243 said:

I said the same thing. If both systems were combined it would awesome. It would be better than both of the of the systems on there own.

like I said….maybe. It’s not a foregone conclusion that a hybrid would have been the greatest at all. We can hope it could be or assume it could be but without the system to play test we can’t be sure.

In comparing the two as an either/or situation I think the new system edges out the old in potential. Right now, I’d be fine with either but if they add dozens of new attachments so that weapons can be more unique, then the current system can be much better. It just depends on whether they take this current system any farther with new and interesting attachments or not. 

5 hours ago, LastTugBoat243 said:

I can at least unlock basic weapons when putting points in a skill now.

15 hours ago, Roland said:

like I said….maybe. It’s not a foregone conclusion that a hybrid would have been the greatest at all. We can hope it could be or assume it could be but without the system to play test we can’t be sure.

In comparing the two as an either/or situation I think the new system edges out the old in potential. Right now, I’d be fine with either but if they add dozens of new attachments so that weapons can be more unique, then the current system can be much better. It just depends on whether they take this current system any farther with new and interesting attachments or not. 

But why to add more attachments? Cod shows that.... more mean worst.  So simple - silencer, longer barell, 2 types of bigger maps , 4 scopes, stock, flashlight and that's it not more. Why? reason is simple - attachments are more annoying that fun if number of them is big because you will a) get something underpowered because descibtion is not precise b) you will have to stuck on wiki checking witht atachment are usefull which useless. In gun part's situation is simple - better quality of barrell - better dmg , better frame - better durability, better stocks better accuract and that's it

6 minutes ago, rateds2k said:

I would just like to have to have parts to repair the weapons. Repairing weapons are way too easy. No planning at all.

You know those parts of the game that you think are just boring and tedious and you just want the result and to not have to go through the boring tasks to get the result?  Now imagine that you are the developer and could easily diminish that part of the game. 

Madmole hates tedious repair mechanics. 

10 hours ago, Matt115 said:

But why to add more attachments? Cod shows that.... more mean worst.  So simple - silencer, longer barell, 2 types of bigger maps , 4 scopes, stock, flashlight and that's it not more. Why? reason is simple - attachments are more annoying that fun if number of them is big because you will a) get something underpowered because descibtion is not precise b) you will have to stuck on wiki checking witht atachment are usefull which useless.

Or the description could simply be precise and you would know without wiki which is better. Problem solved.

10 hours ago, Matt115 said:

In gun part's situation is simple - better quality of barrell - better dmg , better frame - better durability, better stocks better accuract and that's it

Definitely the old system. It was poorly balanced because you'd swim in parts after every loot run and the sorting got old real fast, but the constant thrill of upgrading your weapon made it feel like... your weapon. There was obviously room for improvement (there always is), but it felt organic and engaging. Ever since the new system came with the generic parts, that whole subgame was lost and I've never ever felt like my gun was the result of looting and tinkering : "do I have enough parts to craft a Q5 ? not yet, guess i'll keep my Q4 for now. (30 minutes later) screw that, i just found a Q6, i'm set for life"!

On 11/11/2022 at 1:08 PM, Roland said:

You know those parts of the game that you think are just boring and tedious and you just want the result and to not have to go through the boring tasks to get the result?  Now imagine that you are the developer and could easily diminish that part of the game. 

Madmole hates tedious repair mechanics. 

I understand, It is just that the weapon parts have little use. Can't remember the last time I crafted a weapon, I just loot and use what I find and never have to craft. I don't mind tedious, I just want repairing to be harder. As it is we never have to plan when we go out for the day. I just grab a few too easy to make repair kits and go

2 hours ago, rateds2k said:

I understand, It is just that the weapon parts have little use. Can't remember the last time I crafted a weapon, I just loot and use what I find and never have to craft.

For me, it's the other way around. I have crafted most of my gear.

2 hours ago, rateds2k said:

I don't mind tedious, I just want repairing to be harder. As it is we never have to plan when we go out for the day. I just grab a few too easy to make repair kits and go

Then you are lucky. There is a modlet that gives you exactly what you want. Repair kits for which you need parts to craft them.