Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

2 hours ago, Roland said:

There is no point to making a higher tier stone weapon need more stone. Getting stone is trivial. Please devs, do not waste a moment on figuring out whether yellow tier should require 12 stones and 15 wood rather than 9 stones and 12 wood. It just isn't worth it...

I think we should have a tier 6 stone ax that requires 1000 stone, 500 wood and 100 grass and destroys any block it hits. 😁😉Hey Roland. 

Edited by sillls (see edit history)

My understanding is that they aren't looking to add new vehicles.  However, there has been a little talk (not from the devs as far as I know) that a raft could possibly be considered.  But there is a good chance something like that will not be added until after gold, if at all.  But that is just my take on it after reading a lot of stuff on the forums and I could be entirely wrong. 😁

When they add fast travel for traders, they could consider the possibility of a dock/boat combo POI that allows fast travel between them.  But I doubt they would want to go that route.

29 minutes ago, eciggy said:

Do we know if the majority of the perks will still be mostly the same as they were in a20? I saw Sexy Rexy was removed, and I read over the 1st post of this topic. Just curious if I missed any other updated perk screens. Trying to plot my a21 build of course...

It sounds like most will remain the same (mostly).  However, they are removing any that relate to crafting recipes and will need to rebalance the skills to compensate.  We can see in the dev stream that they added a new skill perk to each tree.  Being that, it is hard to say.

2 hours ago, Roland said:

I don't remember that either, btw. I remember there being multiple set spawn points which showed up as stars on the map and you could select where you would spawn but I don't remember ever being able to lay down multiple bags and select from among them where you would spawn.

Yeah, I remember that too on the old Navezgane map... the stars as spawn points, but I too don't remember anything about bedroll spawns. :confused2:

@Guppycur: are you sure it wasn't one of your mods? 

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

1 hour ago, eciggy said:

Do we know if the majority of the perks will still be mostly the same as they were in a20? I saw Sexy Rexy was removed, and I read over the 1st post of this topic. Just curious if I missed any other updated perk screens. Trying to plot my a21 build of course...

There are definitely perk changes to compensate for the loss of recipes from perks. Some perks had almost their entire value in the recipes they brought, so they should have been tweaked.

The only confirmed changes I've seen are:

• Sex Rex being moved to individual weapon skills so having skill with a weapon or tool lowers stamina cost for using it
  • An attack speed up skill is being added to all attributes that speeds up attacks with weapons associated with that attribute 
  • Master Chef significantly reduces cooking times and cooking times have been increased across the board to make the skill more impactful
  • Grease Monkey increases the effect of repair kits on vehicles - kits no longer do a full repair and vehicle damage is significantly increased to make the skill more impactful

The third one makes me a bit nervous, as I really don't think it goes far enough to prevent Master Chef becoming a 'never take, ever' perk. I think it really needs significant resource use reduction and/or increased buffs to foods cooked with skill to make Master Chef a viable pick. I'm waiting and seeing on the Grease Monkey change. Depending on the impact of increased vehicle damage and repair kit scarcity (due to water/glue changes) it could be almost mandatory for the careless driver or a 'not really worth bothering with' perk.

Then again I'm still massively hoping for animal tracker being combined with huntsman and other such tweaks to significantly reduce the number of 'I'm never ever going to take this' perks. I live in hope.

Edited by Uncle Al (see edit history)

Master Chef also reduces the ingredient counts. It does not change the food that is cooked to be better versions. I think it also increases your chances of finding cooking recipe magazines but I can't check that atm.

3 hours ago, Akota said:

Is there going to be another stream of A21 this wed? I don't want to miss it if there is.

Yes. The artists will be showing off what they've been working on which eansmay eythay ightmay owshay omesay neaksay eakspay ofay tuffsay eythay idn'tday itequay inishfay orfay wentyonetay...

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

My understanding is that they aren't looking to add new vehicles.  However, there has been a little talk (not from the devs as far as I know) that a raft could possibly be considered.  But there is a good chance something like that will not be added until after gold, if at all.  But that is just my take on it after reading a lot of stuff on the forums and I could be entirely wrong. 😁

When they add fast travel for traders, they could consider the possibility of a dock/boat combo POI that allows fast travel between them.  But I doubt they would want to go that route.

It sounds like most will remain the same (mostly).  However, they are removing any that relate to crafting recipes and will need to rebalance the skills to compensate.  We can see in the dev stream that they added a new skill perk to each tree.  Being that, it is hard to say.

Well....there is that raft prototype I did last year. Works, but with a few bugs. That may become a feature at some point.

ChatGPT: "This appears to be a sentence written in Pig Latin, which is a form of word play where the first consonant or consonant cluster of each word is moved to the end of the word, followed by the letters "ay". The sentence translates to: "means they might show some sneaky peaks of stuff they didn't quite finish or went on yet"."

39 minutes ago, Roland said:

Yes. The artists will be showing off what they've been working on which eansmay eythay ightmay owshay omesay neaksay eakspay ofay tuffsay eythay idn'tday itequay inishfay orfay wentyonetay...

means   they   might   show   some   sneak   peak    of   stuff   they   didn't   quite   finish   of    twentyone

amyiyrighty?

update: lol, ChatGPT was faster than me ;)

Edited by q123 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, sillls said:

I think we should have a tier 6 stone ax that requires 1000 stone, 500 wood and 100 grass and destroys any block it hits. 😁😉Hey Roland. 

A stone axe that requires 1000 stone, 500 wood and 100 plant fibers is a ridiculous amount of resources just to make a stone axe. 

41 minutes ago, faatal said:

Well....there is that raft prototype I did last year. Works, but with a few bugs. That may become a feature at some point.

I would really like a raft/boat to get added in because that would make it more interesting to be able to explore, and maybe there could be a island that you could go to. 

14 minutes ago, Crypted said:

A stone axe that requires 1000 stone, 500 wood and 100 plant fibers is a ridiculous amount of resources just to make a stone axe. 

I would really like a raft/boat to get added in because that would make it more interesting to be able to explore, and maybe there could be a island that you could go to. 

1. The ax thing was a joke. I was just teasing Roland. 

2.  I have been waiting for the raft as well. 

1 hour ago, AlaricBalthi said:

ChatGPT: "This appears to be a sentence written in Pig Latin, which is a form of word play where the first consonant or consonant cluster of each word is moved to the end of the word, followed by the letters "ay". The sentence translates to: "means they might show some sneaky peaks of stuff they didn't quite finish or went on yet"."

Congrats!! You know how to use ChatGPT! :thumb:

Now, the next step is to start using your own brain! :heh:

1 hour ago, faatal said:

I hope The Fun Pimps (if you know who I'm talking about...) will consider at some point to develop more "water gameplay".

• Submerged POIs
  • New gear that can help you when you're inside water (fins, a breather, O2 tanks)
  • A raft to better traverse bigger bodies of water
  • Zombies that are slower than you while inside water (if you know how to swim) so that we can go back to using moats

The possibilities are many in my opinion. :cool2:

32 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I hope The Fun Pimps (if you know who I'm talking about...) will consider at some point to develop more "water gameplay".

• Submerged POIs
  • New gear that can help you when you're inside water (fins, a breather, O2 tanks)
  • Zombies that are slower than you while inside water (if you know how to swim) so that we can go back to using moats

I doubt we will get any underwater gameplay in this game. Maybe a sequel.  It was said above that a raft might make it in, so that gives some options.  With the increased speed in water for players coming in A21, this may be the case, though they didn't say how much faster our movement underwater would be.  Why is this a problem for moats, though?  If I have a moat, I am crossing via a drawbridge, so zombie speed in relation to mine while we are underwater isn't an issue.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

Question - I seem to be misremembering something here, but when is the 20.7 patch going to be hitting? For some reason I vaguely recall mention during the dev diary that it was going to be coming out last thursday, so I must have misheard.

I know it isn't a content patch and just to address compatibility for when 21 drops, I'm just curious.

Edited by Khyron (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, Khyron said:

Question - I seem to be misremembering something here, but when is the 20.7 patch going to be hitting? For some reason I vaguely recall mention during the dev diary that it was going to be coming out last thursday, so I must have misheard.

They said on Thursday or early next week.  Well, it's about at the end of "early next week" and I still haven't seen it.

20 hours ago, q123 said:

means   they   might   show   some   sneak   peak    of   stuff   they   didn't   quite   finish   of    twentyone

amyiyrighty?

update: lol, ChatGPT was faster than me ;)

It may have been faster but yours was more correct. :)

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

• Submerged POIs

I agree with all of these, correct me if i'm wrong but isn't it a little hard too see in the water or in some of the water and if this is true, TFP would have to make it a little easier to see in the water. I only have the console version so I wouldn't really know. 

13 hours ago, Roland said:

There is no point to making a higher tier stone weapon need more stone. Getting stone is trivial. Please devs, do not waste a moment on figuring out whether yellow tier should require 12 stones and 15 wood rather than 9 stones and 12 wood. It just isn't worth it...

The whole point of the feature in a21, as Joel said, is exactly having to choose a cheaper quality if you don`t have resources to craft a higher one. So the feature is useless if every quality level costs the same, aside from the basic magazine unlocking (which grants basic linear crafting ability the more you read).

So primitive entry tier weapons have a useless feature. Sounds like a weird school life metaphor. Why mention bigger fishes to fry if you "eat raw" the ones you have? It's a game, and there's actually a point in that tiny bit of ridiculously cheap progression, and that is consistency across crafting and among weaponry. 

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I completely forgot then... which version was it?

I won’t tell you about the version, but it was the very beginning of the project path. Then there were still annoying bumblebees in the game. The flower core of the game was faded, there was no depth and saturation. There were intermediate stages in the construction (framework, raw concrete ..) Sleeping bags most likely were not displayed on the map, but were a list, the current that you could choose the wrong one, and stomp with your bare bottom getting from everyone in a row. And it was definitely the mechanics of smells from products, to which all living things ran ...

What's the point of having puzzles for us to solve in order to get information about 7DTD (a game that everyone on this forum likes) when people are going to solve them. I know there are a good bit of people that don't like it and yeah (maybe some do) but still some videos have been made basically saying stop this and another one is, a waste of time. Then we get pig latin which is easy to understand but still ( eansmay eythay ightmay owshay omesay neaksay eakspay ofay tuffsay eythay idn'tday itequay inishfay orfay wentyonetay.)  Which means they might show some sneak peak of stuff they didn't quite finish of twenty one. I just want to know why these puzzles are happening in order to get information about 7 Days to Die (a game we like/love and enjoy) I just don't see the point in it. Anyway, this is just my opinion on it so other people might feel differently about it. 

Edited by Crypted (see edit history)