I don't like this game any more and I don't know why

geengaween

I used to love this game but some time around A18 it lost its magic and I haven't been able to properly play it since. But I don't really know why I don't like it any more, all the ingredients I love are there - proc gen worlds, scavenging, exploring derelict buildings, thirst/hunger, zombies. I've always liked Zomboid and I've played both games for years, I've got like 300 hours clocked in both of them.

But I can't figure out what it is about Zomboid I like, and what it is about 7DTD I don't like. Anyone feel the same way, or have any insights?

Do you play mostly single or multiplayer?  Playing with others is usually more fun in my opinion! 

So you like all game-elements, but something is not resonating wirh you still? 

Hmm... Is it feeling repetative?  Have you tried with many different variations of game settings? 

Do you feel a lack of "purpose" in the game as it is atm? 

Im just throwing out suggestions to possible causes to your lost interest xD   I can relate that its annoying when one is not enjoying a thing as much as one "should"..! 

Yeah I guess it's all those things, it's repetitive and has a lack of purpose. There's really no endgame and no real threat besides the same 12 zombies over and over. And unlike zomboid 7DTD isn't designed around multiple playthroughs with permadeath so it's a LOT slower to get started - in zomboid most people don't get to see "endgame" because they die within an in-game month.

The crafting is also very different in zomboid, you can't craft tools, so it's much more focused on scavenging what you need in the corresponding buildings and districts, which forces you to move around more and take more risks. There are a ton more types of weapons and it seems to be a lot more accommodating towards different styles of play. Rather than 7DTD's gameplay loop of a linear progression from bad equipment to good equipment - most of the stuff in Zomboid has its advantages and drawbacks and you won't find 2 players with the same style or loadout.

If I wasn't a total moron with no computer skills I'd design a permadeath mod that heavily restricts crafting and makes the individual zombies more nondescript and harder to recognize as individuals.

Edited by geengaween (see edit history)

Try an overhaul mod maybe? If you liked the game more before A18, Darkness Falls might be for you, it also has kind of a storyline to complete wich gives you a purpose for quite longer than vanilla. There is also others like Ravenhearst, War3zuk, Undead Legacy, War of the walkers or even the JokeMod if you want a not so serious playtrough.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

I havent played zomboid that much, but i do remember it being alot more difficult to get around and survive for an extended period! 

Regarding purpose in 7 days i dont have many tips, the key is to survive... And maybe in the future the game might contain a story with bandits and stuff? 

There might be no permadeath setting atm, but when i play singleplayer i always delete my world if i die(thats how you do permadeath atm!) 

I play with a bit higher difficulty, so in the playtroughs i done in A20  i havent lived past day 35-40 or so (40 min days).  Im trying to live to day 100, so thats my current "purpose" when playing alone. 

When playing with friends, imostly act as a supporting character, trying to help my friends get things going, so my purpose there is to help my friends survive, i guess 😅

7 hours ago, Hyperbolt said:

I havent played zomboid that much, but i do remember it being alot more difficult to get around and survive for an extended period! 

Regarding purpose in 7 days i dont have many tips, the key is to survive... And maybe in the future the game might contain a story with bandits and stuff? 

There might be no permadeath setting atm, but when i play singleplayer i always delete my world if i die(thats how you do permadeath atm!) 

I play with a bit higher difficulty, so in the playtroughs i done in A20  i havent lived past day 35-40 or so (40 min days).  Im trying to live to day 100, so thats my current "purpose" when playing alone. 

When playing with friends, imostly act as a supporting character, trying to help my friends get things going, so my purpose there is to help my friends survive, i guess 😅

It was charming when we first touched it, but the full openness to the game and the depth of play creates a feeling of fatigue, which quickly tires when you feel like you're out of the game without any pressure and goals, and so Repeating several times will make you more tired, 7D is not suitable for multiple people to survive for a few months, it will cause bad news in a back and forth cycle! It is really suggested that FTP can deepen the content of the later stage, at least to pursue the content, we can imagine a scene, from low-risk areas to high-risk areas, we pursue different gameplay and more novel objects, more dangerous and deadly zombies, weapons and equipment It would be great to not use the smaller value of 6 anymore, when we fix the world and the fun of getting it will lose a lot, because everything is predictable, they allow you to use a mature experience to clear the level is a kind of mistake

I can only add to this:

I was a SUPER regular player pre A17.
And sure maybe I played too much.
But every alpha I come back... play to day 35 and then just stop...

1. because there is nothing more to do
2. because it is pretty boring
3. it kinda lost its charm

I do not blame anyone.
In my eyes 7d2d had a very specific "nieche" that it filled. A survival horror game with building elements.
It is just not that anymore. Focus has been on excitement, accesibilty and ease of use.
You could call it "dumbing it down", but I don't think that is fair.
It did, however make the game less focused on the survival and the horror aspects.

Now it is a great looking looter/shooter in a beautiful RWG voxel world.
And I am sure the mainstream gamers love it.

Hell I think it is a great game still.

But... it lost its magic for me. Was very active in the years that those changes were made... and they didn't agree, so now we are here.
I still look in the forums every so often, but I had 1200 hours after A16 and now I have 1370 hours. that is measly 60 hours per alpha.

12 hours ago, geengaween said:

I used to love this game but some time around A18 it lost its magic and I haven't been able to properly play it since. But I don't really know why I don't like it any more, all the ingredients I love are there - proc gen worlds, scavenging, exploring derelict buildings, thirst/hunger, zombies. I've always liked Zomboid and I've played both games for years, I've got like 300 hours clocked in both of them.

But I can't figure out what it is about Zomboid I like, and what it is about 7DTD I don't like. Anyone feel the same way, or have any insights?

I call it burned out. When every tiny little flaw seems like a terrible error with the game. Best cure, if there is a cure, is to play something else.

Games are entertainment, and if they are not entertaining, no need to play it. I wouldn't watch a bad TV show (unless married) or eat food i don't like.

3 hours ago, Kattla said:

I call it burned out. When every tiny little flaw seems like a terrible error with the game. Best cure, if there is a cure, is to play something else.

Games are entertainment, and if they are not entertaining, no need to play it. I wouldn't watch a bad TV show (unless married) or eat food i don't like.

That's just it, I haven't really played it for years now. Every update in the last 3 years I've eagerly come back to it only to find it's still not very fun. Maybe when bandits get added it will give the game the kick up the arse it needs

15 hours ago, geengaween said:

Yeah I guess it's all those things, it's repetitive and has a lack of purpose. There's really no endgame and no real threat besides the same 12 zombies over and over. And unlike zomboid 7DTD isn't designed around multiple playthroughs with permadeath so it's a LOT slower to get started - in zomboid most people don't get to see "endgame" because they die within an in-game month.

The crafting is also very different in zomboid, you can't craft tools, so it's much more focused on scavenging what you need in the corresponding buildings and districts, which forces you to move around more and take more risks. There are a ton more types of weapons and it seems to be a lot more accommodating towards different styles of play. Rather than 7DTD's gameplay loop of a linear progression from bad equipment to good equipment - most of the stuff in Zomboid has its advantages and drawbacks and you won't find 2 players with the same style or loadout.

If I wasn't a total moron with no computer skills I'd design a permadeath mod that heavily restricts crafting and makes the individual zombies more nondescript and harder to recognize as individuals.

Well maybe @ErrorNull mod can help about zombie variants a little but. Btw - cannot crafting tools in zomboid is pretty stupid design choice in my opinion because this not something hard to learn how to make pickaxe for example ( fun fact - 20 years ago blacksmith was working near my house). 

15 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Try an overhaul mod maybe? If you liked the game more before A18, Darkness Falls might be for you, it also has kind of a storyline to complete wich gives you a purpose for quite longer than vanilla. There is also others like Ravenhearst, War3zuk, Undead Legacy, War of the walkers or even the JokeMod if you want a not so serious playtrough.

Well this could work. But if he like project zomboid i think he would prefere "immersive" ( similiar to skyrim) types of overhaul mods and unfortunatly 7dtd still don't have them 😕

5 hours ago, Roland said:

Take a break and wait for A21 before you play again. You might feel renewed after a hiatus. We get lots of messages from people who stopped playing 3+ years ago and upon returning fell in love with the game all over again.

Well i think story mod will help him a lot because  it will change a lot :)

1 hour ago, geengaween said:

That's just it, I haven't really played it for years now. Every update in the last 3 years I've eagerly come back to it only to find it's still not very fun. Maybe when bandits get added it will give the game the kick up the arse it needs

Yep this can works :)

29 minutes ago, Viktoriusiii said:

Ah yes. Bandits.
The "halflife 3"/"duke nukem forever" of 7d2d :D

Nah, at least we saw bandits XD btw DNF was released and it was bad game

5 hours ago, Viktoriusiii said:

I can only add to this:

I was a SUPER regular player pre A17.
And sure maybe I played too much.
But every alpha I come back... play to day 35 and then just stop...

1. because there is nothing more to do
2. because it is pretty boring
3. it kinda lost its charm

I do not blame anyone.
In my eyes 7d2d had a very specific "nieche" that it filled. A survival horror game with building elements.
It is just not that anymore. Focus has been on excitement, accesibilty and ease of use.
You could call it "dumbing it down", but I don't think that is fair.
It did, however make the game less focused on the survival and the horror aspects.

Now it is a great looking looter/shooter in a beautiful RWG voxel world.
And I am sure the mainstream gamers love it.

Hell I think it is a great game still.

But... it lost its magic for me. Was very active in the years that those changes were made... and they didn't agree, so now we are here.
I still look in the forums every so often, but I had 1200 hours after A16 and now I have 1370 hours. that is measly 60 hours per alpha.

This. But I, actually, would call it dumbing down because everything since A16 has been going in that direction... but with nicer graphics and beautiful cities now.

We lost combining items and weapon parts. We lost immersive progression for skills (tools, weapons and crafting). We lost wellness and the real incentive for cooking quality food. We gained MIT graduate zombies, but I don't count that as a plus because you can "walk them" to wherever you want step by step.

Now we have a looter/shooter as you stated, beautiful as it may be, but without that "something" it had before.

6 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Nah, at least we saw bandits XD btw DNF was released and it was bad game

That was the joke.
Either they will never release or they will release when nobody will expect them anymore and be totally underwhelming ;)

(but as the german saying tells us: "hope is last to die!")

4 hours ago, Viktoriusiii said:

That was the joke.
Either they will never release or they will release when nobody will expect them anymore and be totally underwhelming ;)

(but as the german saying tells us: "hope is last to die!")

I know - a lot of people don't know that DNF was relased so i wrote about that

2 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@Matt115 Well that is why i suggested existing ones. OP said he is bored with the game and overhaul mods give you a new experience. In the case of DF it does give you a ton more of playtime before your character gets overpowered and you get bored.

Yeah but is is rly bad - succubs demones , laser guns etc. So i advice him against because mod describtion sounds like "immersive" mod and that is big mistake

12 hours ago, eXSe said:

We lost immersive progression for skills (tools, weapons and crafting).

Oh is that what the kids are calling it these days? ;) Geez, it's not like we're banned for saying "learn b###TCP TIMEOUT - CLIENT CONNECTION LOST

@Matt115 He wants to play 7 days, telling him what he can´t do, doesn´t really help here. Overhaul mods are  propably the best way to keep playing.

The crafting is different to vanilla in many aspects in DF. Like the return of gunparts and a lot more crafting stations. Also he misses a challenge and is bored by the 12 same zombies all the time. Again something where DF fits, more different enemies and definitly way more challenging. And there is actually endgame content.

I haven´t tried other overhauls so far, so maybe there is even a better fitting one. 

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

On 3/16/2022 at 4:03 AM, geengaween said:

i have the same feeling as well. i actually rarely play 7d2d these days, i just enjoy creating the zombies. when i do play, i max out the difficulty and play for one life and see how long i last. once i die, then i go back to modding zombies for a couple weeks. lol. occasionally i start a new map on my server and my bros and kids we have a blast designing our base, doing the horde night and traders quests. but after you hit tier 5 quests.. it gets repetitive. after your horde base is fully upgraded to steel, it gets repetitive. and we rarely ever leave the pine forest. we find the trader base, setup camp next to it.. and play until like we level 100 or so.. then we slowly lose interest cause it gets easy. there's not much incentive to visit other biomes. sure you can get better loot, but as you increase in player level, you'll eventually that same better loot in the pine forest too. there are some good overhaul mods out there to mix it up a bit though. once i'm through with making zombies, i plan create another mod that adds more incentive to visit the other biomes. like unique items or crafting ingredients for stronger weapons or better vehicles that can only be found in certain biomes. boss level zombies that drop custom top tier items that can't be crafted or looted, and they only appear in certain biomes. Special quests/treasure maps that can only be found in certain biomes, etc.

Edited by ErrorNull (see edit history)

Oh, for my is the other way. Love 7dtd, and this alpha is the most fun I had with the game (except with farming) and that's raising the bar from A19 which was particularly high.

But Project Zomboid, I cannot get into it. Tried several times, but no dice. Probably because I hate the combat.

7DTD is good stuff, but eventually it runs out of steam.  Maybe its a symptom of its incredibly long development time.

Once you've looted everything, been through the POIs, killed the same zombies over and over and over again, and mastered blood nights, the last thing left to do is build stuff, but even that gets kinda meh after a while.

At that point its either get one of the overhaul mods for the game, or put it aside for a while until the next alpha.

For me, going through the opening tutorial quest hasn't been worth the four points it gives me for a long time now. I'd rather skip it and get to doing what I want in the order I want to do it and find the trader on  my own (not really difficult any more) and start with zero skill points than go through that sequence ever again just to start with four skill points and a waypoint to the trader.

Canceling the initial quest is my initial quest.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

LBD being dropped was a critical mistake. Going from a natural progression, gaining from the things you did most, to a clumsy points system that still isnt balanced was nonsensical. It had problems yes and things like spam crafting could have been nerfed.

The map gen was almost perfect, huge maps with few mistakes all working properly.

While the graphics are lush now, they werent the draw, it was the gameplay that won out. Loads of zombies, dangerous cities, having to really hunt for stuff you needed.

Now we are led by the hand through most of it and people STILL complain its too hard! its too much effort to look for stuff, give me it all NOW!

Not gonna lie maps are improving, cities look good. Small maps are a hindrance and lack of zombies is criminal.

Still like and play but new features are needed rather than just upgrading graphics ad nauseum.