Which perks do you take the least?

Lenny Lettuce Lips

I don't think I've ever taken any of the tracking/hunting related perks due to a couple of things; chief among them being the abundance of meat if you focus on it with some effort. When I played with a small group we'd just make "hunting" trips in the north and kill wolves, bears and cougars to our heart's content. It's still readily available due to their spawn rate. I don't know if I'd want a real fix for this such as changing meat types or limiting edibility, personally. I don't mind the catch all "meat" system. 

Until recently I've never played with the brawler perks, and I'm glad I did! It's a lot of fun and honestly some of the best melee I've ever enjoyed in the game. I should have done it sooner. Spears are next as I've pretty much ignored them from the start, save throwing the stone spears I find early on. 

What are some perks you guys never play around with?

Ya know until I took the tracker perk I didn't really see much of a use for it, and then I realized...

Chickens have a lot of feathers and meat and bones.

Running out of feathers and bones for glue is something that happens to me a lot early game and it's super helpful, but after day 3 I usually have enough food to stay home for a week if I needed to.

59 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

I never taken any of the tracker perks. I rarely take any barter or quest perks until late game.

When I spec into Intellect I always chip into barter to make mo' money! Also those sweet sweet hidden loot bonuses

17 minutes ago, warmer said:

Ya know until I took the tracker perk I didn't really see much of a use for it, and then I realized...

Chickens have a lot of feathers and meat and bones.

Running out of feathers and bones for glue is something that happens to me a lot early game and it's super helpful, but after day 3 I usually have enough food to stay home for a week if I needed to.

I've never felt hard up for glue, and I've never understood why so many people tout it to the level they do (having super corn farms for it and such). I feel like I'm playing the game wrong sometimes, but usually when I need it I've had plenty of backstock of bones or empty jars to get what I need. Early game I need blunderbuss ammo and cobble, which I get by raiding specific locations though. 

granted, I've stuck to Navazgane for 90% of my time in the game, but come A20, we're doing an exclusively random gen map for the first time because it seems pretty clean now. We've tried it a couple times before and didn't like it as much. I think Navazgane really has it nailed with biome balance, but once you know the map a lot of magic is lost. Random gen didn't fix that for us, so we stuck with what we knew and started making personal challenges. Sorry for the rant, jesus

47 minutes ago, Lenny Lettuce Lips said:

granted, I've stuck to Navazgane for 90% of my time in the game, but come A20, we're doing an exclusively random gen map for the first time because it seems pretty clean now. 

I have been playing 95% random gen for the simple reason I want everything to feel fresh and new, with the danger of not finding what I need. I have more hours in 7d2d than Skyrim and its totally due to random gen.

This is also a reason to get the tracker perk. If you know where to find a Shamway Foods at game start there is no real danger of starvation.

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

There's plenty I basically never take;

- Treasure hunter, saving a few shovel strikes in the early game..?

- Tracker past 1 - there's no deer; and the other things will track me just fine...

- Pack mule - there might be a plenty of drop caches on my map for the first few weeks though

- Cooking past 1

- Pain tolerance - 5/5 Might be a tolerable investment, but I don't like the fisticuffs so I tend not to go high in Fort.

- Iron gut

- Healing factor (I prioritize not getting hit)

- Charismatic whatnot, (mostly solo)

EDIT: right, these too

- The infiltrator

- The Huntsman

- Well Insulated

- Lockpicking

Edited by theFlu (see edit history)

Tracker, I learned to do without it back when it was a really buggy mess and usually you are tripping over enough animals to not ever need it.  If the critters ever bother spawning that is.

All of the late tier Intelligence recipes, pointless with traders and loot.

Iron gut

- Treasure hunter - Treasure chests/buried supplies are so few and far between compared to conventional looting that I cannot justify the purchase

- The infiltrator

- Iron Gut

- Animal Tracker -  (I don't want text popping up every time I crouch in-game if there are animals nearby or not... Plus the larger game very spawn these days, and even

without them I am swimming in meat)

- The Huntsman

- Well Insulated

- Any of the perks under Agility outside of a stealth build

- Pack mule

- Master chef

- Whatever perk is in the Intellect tree that grants better healing and some medical recipes (blanking out on the name); I just never think to take it, but it's not a bad perk imo

23 hours ago, Lenny Lettuce Lips said:

When I spec into Intellect I always chip into barter to make mo' money! Also those sweet sweet hidden loot bonuses

I've never felt hard up for glue, and I've never understood why so many people tout it to the level they do (having super corn farms for it and such). I feel like I'm playing the game wrong sometimes, but usually when I need it I've had plenty of backstock of bones or empty jars to get what I need. Early game I need blunderbuss ammo and cobble, which I get by raiding specific locations though. 

granted, I've stuck to Navazgane for 90% of my time in the game, but come A20, we're doing an exclusively random gen map for the first time because it seems pretty clean now. We've tried it a couple times before and didn't like it as much. I think Navazgane really has it nailed with biome balance, but once you know the map a lot of magic is lost. Random gen didn't fix that for us, so we stuck with what we knew and started making personal challenges. Sorry for the rant, jesus

Lenny trust me when i tell you whe nyou play random gen for the first time it will be like you playing a whole diff game there will be no gimmes either and no guarantees :)

6 minutes ago, theFlu said:

For some reason, I Want to like that one. I don't, but I want to. Agreed :)

So do I. I wish it were more like Skyrim's system where the higher your rank, the easier it is to break open more advanced locked containers. But alas, even with the perk maxed out, you can still waste 50 lockpicks on a wall safe on occasion. ;)

On 11/29/2021 at 10:14 PM, warmer said:

I have been playing 95% random gen for the simple reason I want everything to feel fresh and new, with the danger of not finding what I need. I have more hours in 7d2d than Skyrim and its totally due to random gen.

This is also a reason to get the tracker perk. If you know where to find a Shamway Foods at game start there is no real danger of starvation.

We just started a random gen map and it's been pretty rad, honestly. They REALLY ironed out the creases since the last time I've tried. 

Also, minibikes by day 3, let's goooo. Granted we're playing 150% XP since we're gonna restart for A20 on Monday, but still. Random is way different. Also seen at least four or five POI's I've never seen

35 minutes ago, Lenny Lettuce Lips said:

One I saw recently I've never taken and was basically invisible to me because of that "The Penetrator". I may take it just to see if I like it or not.

Honestly, don't play rifles without it. You like shooting zeds in a horde night? How about shooting five at once? :)

The baton and turret perks. 

Heavy armor.

Brawler. 

Iron gut.

Pain tolerance.

Well Insulated.

Treasure hunter.

(dis)Honorable mention...

Tracking, master chef, lockpicking(hate the way picking works). These might get one point.

Cooking usually gets one point unless I find a good enough recipe early on.

There are more that I'm forgetting .

+1 on the Brawler being underrated.   It's easily my favorite melee weapon now.

Perks I don't use:

On PvE servers:

Well Insulated (and I even tend to play in desert or snow)

Any archery perk (even though I use crossbows, they do enough damage and are accurate enough without them, and once I get guns I stop archery)

Treasure Hunter (avoid Buried supplies quests anyway since they are not worth it)

Baton/Turret perks

Lockpicking (just buy Jailbreakers)

Any Stealth perk

Huntsman

Pack Mule

Healing Factor past 1

Master Chef past 1

On PvP servers I will take the stealth perks to avoid waking up zombies, Pack Mule/Well insulated because often I will lose my gear with Pocket mods and insulators

I usually take a rank or two of Treasure Hunter early on. The treasure hunt quests disappear from the lists eventually but early game you can unearth quite a bit of them and they respawn their contents like anything else. I can mark the locations of all of them and keep coming back to them way after I respec out of the perk. It's not useless it just loses its usefulness fairly early.