Healing Factor ( might NOT be the worst skill in the game? )

ARRANOX

So after 1600 hours playing this game, i have forced myself to focus on one skill tree at a time to get out of my comfort zone.

I like to play on Insane difficulty with perma death becouse i love the challenge.

however i thought Fortitude might be the most OP skill tree so after playing all the other builds i had to try a game.

on day 6 when i got to 5 Fortitude and 3 points in healing factor, my food started to drop rapidly i had to eat around 300 food a day so my canned food supply ran dry pretty quick.

i thought i had some bug at first so i checked the forums. tried to restart my game etc, i started suspecting healing factor so i put all my next points in iron gut, but it did not help much in my opinion.

so roughly Healing factor at level 3 heals 1 HP every 20 seconds

while HF was active it drew 1 food every 12-13 seconds ( with iron gut )

so when i get hit by a zombie lets say i loose 25 HP

that means HF will draw 41,7 food to heal that damage

thats almost 3 cans of sham per hit by a zombie!

i had not found any food recipies in my game yet so i must say so far its been really challenging. :D

however i must say that since the good food in the game heals quite a bit. and healing factor makes sure you have full health and a emty stomach all the time it feels unbalanced. and in my opinion healing factor is by far the worst skill points i have spent so far in this game :)

Change my mind.

Edited by ARRANOX
mind was changed (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, ARRANOX said:

So after 1600 hours playing this game, i have forced myself to focus on one skill tree at a time to get out of my comfort zone.

I like to play on Insane difficulty with perma death becouse i love the challenge.

however i thought Fortitude might be the most OP skill tree so after playing all the other builds i had to try a game.

on day 6 when i got to 5 Fortitude and 3 points in healing factor, my food started to drop rapidly i had to eat around 300 food a day so my canned food supply ran dry pretty quick.

i thought i had some bug at first so i checked the forums. tried to restart my game etc, i started suspecting healing factor so i put all my next points in iron gut, but it did not help much in my opinion.

so roughly Healing factor at level 3 heals 1 HP every 20 seconds

so when i get hit by a zombie lets say i loose 25 HP

that means HF will draw 41,7 food to heal that damage

thats almost 3 cans of sham per hit by a zombie!

i had not found any food recipies in my game yet so i must say so far its been really challenging. :D

however i must say that since the good food in the game heals quite a bit. and healing factor makes sure you have full health and a emty stomach all the time it feels unbalanced. and in my opinion healing factor is by far the worst skill points i have spent so far in this game :)

Change my mind.

Healing factor not only gives you healing passively which is extremely helpful early but it also gives you faster healing on injuries AND, it stacks with using medical supplies.
Example: Broken arm 10m duration
Apply Splint-> -50%= 5min
Healing factor 5, -25% = 2min (It calculates from the base debuff timer)

Ima assume by your hours played you at least know some basics about the game so im not going to do more than mention 25 damage per hit means get armor equiped.

Structural brace also lets you passively regenerate when below 50% hp and that combined with healing factor is truely, not meaningless or negligable.

Healing factor also gives you %crit resistance (Making it so zeds crit you for status ailments less)

Healing factor is actually one of the most OP skills in the game, in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Pichii said:

Healing factor not only gives you healing passively which is extremely helpful early but it also gives you faster healing on injuries AND, it stacks with using medical supplies.
Example: Broken arm 10m duration
Apply Splint-> -50%= 5min
Healing factor 5, -25% = 2min (It calculates from the base debuff timer)

Ima assume by your hours played you at least know some basics about the game so im not going to do more than mention 25 damage per hit means get armor equiped.

Structural brace also lets you passively regenerate when below 50% hp and that combined with healing factor is truely, not meaningless or negligable.

Healing factor also gives you %crit resistance (Making it so zeds crit you for status ailments less)

Healing factor is actually one of the most OP skills in the game, in my opinion.

I guess it comes down to playstyle, usually im very good at avoiding scrapes from zombies but with leather knuckels i found myself getting cuts and bruises more often, leading to a much greater food draw, and i might have thought that when having full health i could take a hit since have Healing factor. (not thinking about food consumtion)

that early in game its not easy to get good armor, a stable food supply. 

when i played agility i stabbed 3 zombies avoiding hits with high mobility jumpen on a shed roof with parkour and watchen them bleed out.

everyone says Healing factor is OP but im just not feeling it, first aid supplies do well enough on their own.

8 minutes ago, ARRANOX said:

I guess it comes down to playstyle, usually im very good at avoiding scrapes from zombies but with leather knuckels i found myself getting cuts and bruises more often, leading to a much greater food draw, and i might have thought that when having full health i could take a hit since have Healing factor. (not thinking about food consumtion)

that early in game its not easy to get good armor, a stable food supply. 

when i played agility i stabbed 3 zombies avoiding hits with high mobility jumpen on a shed roof with parkour and watchen them bleed out.

everyone says Healing factor is OP but im just not feeling it, first aid supplies do well enough on their own.

I definately think it comes down to both playstyle and RNG of items in the first 4 days.
Ill go fort if I get good seeds at the start 100%.
Otherwise, I typically dont bother.
I use Nitrogen for randomization of biomes so, my games can be a little more random and uhh, well hard because you can still start in the desert where there is still little to no food and you essentially live on 100 yucca a day xD
Getting wounded in such perilous biomes usually equates to me eating glass or just running home without healing factor.

But yeah, Ill argue its a good perk but its still situational like all else to playstyle.

4 minutes ago, Pichii said:

I definately think it comes down to both playstyle and RNG of items in the first 4 days.
Ill go fort if I get good seeds at the start 100%.
Otherwise, I typically dont bother.
I use Nitrogen for randomization of biomes so, my games can be a little more random and uhh, well hard because you can still start in the desert where there is still little to no food and you essentially live on 100 yucca a day xD
Getting wounded in such perilous biomes usually equates to me eating glass or just running home without healing factor.

But yeah, Ill argue its a good perk but its still situational like all else to playstyle.

I guess it might be better at HF 5 since the healing time is then much shorter can`t imagne it drawing 80 food in 4 minutes to heal 50 hp.

Also since i was unaware of the massive food draw at first i was at a disadvantage, if i had eaten my canned food before i was fully healed i would av benefited from the healing effect from eating the food aswell. 

2 hours ago, ARRANOX said:

Interesting. I always put 1-2 points in Healing Factor, but never noticed raised food drain.

However i noticed food drain, even when standing still, also with full health, so no HF "active".

Because i wondered, i looked up the xml, and HF is pretty simple.

<perk name="perkHealingFactor" parent="skillFortitudeRecovery" name_key="perkHealingFactorName" desc_key="perkHealingFactorDesc" icon="ui_game_symbol_healing_factor">
		<level_requirements level="1"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attFortitude" operation="GTE" value="1" desc_key="reqFortitudeLevel01"/></level_requirements>
		<level_requirements level="2"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attFortitude" operation="GTE" value="3" desc_key="reqFortitudeLevel03"/></level_requirements>
		<level_requirements level="3"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attFortitude" operation="GTE" value="5" desc_key="reqFortitudeLevel05"/></level_requirements>
		<level_requirements level="4"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attFortitude" operation="GTE" value="7" desc_key="reqFortitudeLevel07"/></level_requirements>
		<level_requirements level="5"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attFortitude" operation="GTE" value="10" desc_key="reqFortitudeLevel10"/></level_requirements>
		<effect_group>
			<!-- crit hit effects heal rate is assigned in  buffStatusCheck02 -->

<!-- You cannot regen without food or water -->
			<requirement name="NotHasBuff" buff="buffStatusHungry03"/>
			<requirement name="NotHasBuff" buff="buffStatusThirsty03"/>
				<passive_effect name="HealthChangeOT" operation="base_add" level="1,2,3,4,5" value=".011,.022,.05,.1,.16"/>

<!--<requirement name="NotHasBuff" buff="buffStatusHungry02"/>
			<requirement name="NotHasBuff" buff="buffStatusThirsty02"/>
			<requirement name="StatComparePercCurrentToModMax" stat="Health" operation="GTE" value="0.97"/>
			<passive_effect name="HealthMaxModifierOT" operation="base_set" level="3,4,5" value=".025,.0333,.05"/>-->

<effect_description level="1" desc_key="perkHealingFactorRank1Desc" long_desc_key="perkHealingFactorRank1LongDesc"/>
			<effect_description level="2" desc_key="perkHealingFactorRank2Desc" long_desc_key="perkHealingFactorRank2LongDesc"/>
			<effect_description level="3" desc_key="perkHealingFactorRank3Desc" long_desc_key="perkHealingFactorRank3LongDesc"/>
			<effect_description level="4" desc_key="perkHealingFactorRank4Desc" long_desc_key="perkHealingFactorRank4LongDesc"/>
			<effect_description level="5" desc_key="perkHealingFactorRank5Desc" long_desc_key="perkHealingFactorRank5LongDesc"/>
		</effect_group>
	</perk>

As you can see, it only increases health and NOTHING else.

From the xml i also can't see that it reduces healing time of injuries.

And it does not deplete food or stamina (which then would cause food usage).

If i got it right, healing stops if buffStatusHungry03 (also with water) becomes active. And if i got those stati right, that is already almost starving to death (food at <=4%). That means healing stops under this condition, but it still does not use up food if it is active.

Edited by Liesel Weppen (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Pichii said:

Thats the fortifying grip, not structural brace.

And from the XML it does exactly the same:

<passive_effect name="HealthChangeOT" operation="base_add" value=".2"/>

It heals 0.2HP per second, if below 50% health. Also no food usage.

1 hour ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Interesting. I always put 1-2 points in Healing Factor, but never noticed raised food drain.

However i noticed food drain, even when standing still, also with full health, so no HF "active".

<perk name="perkHealingFactor" parent="skillFortitudeRecovery" name_key="perkHealingFactorName" desc_key="perkHealingFactorDesc" icon="ui_game_symbol_healing_factor">
		<level_requirements level="1"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attFortitude" operation="GTE" value="1" desc_key="reqFortitudeLevel01"/></level_requirements>
		<level_requirements level="2"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attFortitude" operation="GTE" value="3" desc_key="reqFortitudeLevel03"/></level_requirements>
		<level_requirements level="3"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attFortitude" operation="GTE" value="5" desc_key="reqFortitudeLevel05"/></level_requirements>
		<level_requirements level="4"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attFortitude" operation="GTE" value="7" desc_key="reqFortitudeLevel07"/></level_requirements>
		<level_requirements level="5"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attFortitude" operation="GTE" value="10" desc_key="reqFortitudeLevel10"/></level_requirements>
		<effect_group>

<passive_effect name="HealthChangeOT" operation="base_add" level="1,2,3,4,5" value=".011,.022,.05,.1,.16"/>

<requirement name="StatComparePercCurrentToModMax" stat="Health" operation="GTE" value="0.97"/>
			<passive_effect name="HealthMaxModifierOT" operation="base_set" level="3,4,5" value=".025,.0333,.05"/>-->

<effect_description level="1" desc_key="perkHealingFactorRank1Desc" long_desc_key="perkHealingFactorRank1LongDesc"/>
			<effect_description level="2" desc_key="perkHealingFactorRank2Desc" long_desc_key="perkHealingFactorRank2LongDesc"/>
			<effect_description level="3" desc_key="perkHealingFactorRank3Desc" long_desc_key="perkHealingFactorRank3LongDesc"/>
			<effect_description level="4" desc_key="perkHealingFactorRank4Desc" long_desc_key="perkHealingFactorRank4LongDesc"/>
			<effect_description level="5" desc_key="perkHealingFactorRank5Desc" long_desc_key="perkHealingFactorRank5LongDesc"/>
		</effect_group>
	</perk>

If i got it right, healing stops if buffStatusHungry03 (also with water) becomes active. And if i got those stati right, that is already almost starving to death (food at <=4%). That means healing stops under this condition, but it still does not use up food if it is active.

Thats very intereresting... 

so if it does not deplete food or stamina, im back to considering that i might have encountered some sort of bug in my game.

in my game i did end up consuming around 300 food per day. i don`t know what i usually consume though. 

but it kinda felt like the food was draining at the same rate as when you are freezing in the game.

come to think of it there was an instance on one of the frist days where i had bleeding but the health did not decrease while bleeding, i was stressing with the bandage so i did not really catch on at the moment. but when i think about it now... it could maybe mean i had a corrupted save file or something?

I will try a new Fortitude build and see it works or if there was something else draining my food.

Thanks for the input, and yeah you changed my mind :)

• ARRANOX changed the title to Healing Factor ( might NOT be the worst skill in the game? )
1 hour ago, ARRANOX said:

My intention was not to change your mind, i just told my findings. :D

I don't know what the game internally does. I'm also not a modder or perfectly experienced with the xmls.

The perk description indeed also tells that HF reduces healing time of injuries, but the xmls don't. But that would not be the first (or outdated but not updated) description in the game. Probably worth a bug report, just for the description... but i'm to lazy. Someone else can try it. :D

300 food per day is... situation dependent. Common use for me if doing stuff. But from just standing still it sounds to much.

I also read a dozen times, that if not moving at all no food "should" be consumed, but for me it does anyway. And that sounds reasonable to me, but i still don't know if it is intended. :D

Imho food drain would be a fair trade off to healing factor. But just a little... and then not stop only if you're basically starving to death. I don't see the point if HF heals, but on the other hand it drains massive food until you are almost starved. Doh... healed, but 30s later you starve.

On the other hand, at lvl 3, 1HP every 20 seconds is not really much. Nice util skill for healing up if you are not at full health when out of combat, but imho not really relevant during combat.

Since... from the xml.... it doesn't use food, it makes sense it does first stop if you are almost starving.

I still don't know what the dev's intention is with that perk.

3 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

<effect_group>

</effect_group>
	</perk>

There is more in buffs.xml:

<effect_group>
                        <!-- set the speed at which crit buffs heal naturally -->
                        <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$critHitNaturalHealingRate" operation="set" value="1">
                                <requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkHealingFactor" operation="LT" value="1"/></triggered_effect>
                        <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$critHitNaturalHealingRate" operation="set" value="1.2">
                                <requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkHealingFactor" operation="Equals" value="1"/></triggered_effect>
                        <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$critHitNaturalHealingRate" operation="set" value="1.4">
                                <requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkHealingFactor" operation="Equals" value="2"/></triggered_effect>
                        <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$critHitNaturalHealingRate" operation="set" value="1.6">
                                <requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkHealingFactor" operation="Equals" value="3"/></triggered_effect>
                        <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$critHitNaturalHealingRate" operation="set" value="1.8">
                                <requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkHealingFactor" operation="Equals" value="4"/></triggered_effect>
                        <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$critHitNaturalHealingRate" operation="set" value="2">
                                <requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkHealingFactor" operation="Equals" value="5"/></triggered_effect>
                        <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$critHitNaturalHealingRate" operation="multiply" value="2">
                                <requirement name="HasBuff" buff="buffDrugHealthBar"/></triggered_effect>
                </effect_group>

Healing damage naturally costs food.  If you regenerate faster you use food faster.  That is most of what you are seeing.  If you use healing items then you use less food to heal.  If you generally take a lot of damage while you explore or fight then you will find that you will burn a LOT more food.  I would suggest you find a steady food supply before investing in Healing Factor.

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

There is more in buffs.xml:

What part is this?

And where/how does it cost food drain?

Some magic by "$critHitNaturalHealingRate"?

Following that, i find stuff that may explain the injury reduction, but i still don't see food consumption.

As said, i'm not an expert in how the xml stuff works.

Would be nice if somebody could explain, from where in the xml a food drain should be caused.

1 hour ago, Maharin said:

Healing damage naturally costs food.

Source? Or just an assumption because some people told that?

I'm not sure that passive healing uses food.  I was always under the impression that it was stamina restoration that was linked to food consumption and if you've focussed entirely on Fortitude then you probably haven't got any points in Sex Rex. 

Also, if you're going in jabbing and power hitting occasionally you will be using a fair amount of stamina, could this be the reason you're using a lot of food rather than the healing?

Edited by ParadiseLostUK (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, ParadiseLostUK said:

I'm not sure that passive healing uses food.  I was always under the impression that it was stamina restoration that was linked to food consumption and if you've focussed entirely on Fortitude then you probably haven't got any points in Sex Rex. 

Also, if you're going in jabbing and power hitting occasionally you will be using a fair amount of stamina, could this be the reason you're using a lot of food rather than the healing?

i have been playing all perk trees one by one and i only had this food problem when playing Fortitude.

when playing strenght i noticed some heavy food draw if i was mining all night. but if i stopped mining the food draw was normal so no crisis.

i had no problem looting and swinging a sledgehammer all day.

In Fortitude i was using the leather straps and fighting with my fist. i ate so i had a full stomach went to the house next door to my starter camp to start looting ( maybe a Tier 2 or a large tier 1 POI) and a little over half way through the POI i started getting hungry again. yeah im power hitting a fair amount but i do that whit all weapons.

I aslo monitored the food draw while having full stamina when i counted to 12 between each draw in food.

11 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

You said this. So I showed you the lines where it does (presumably, I didn't exactly analyze it, the comment line seemed enough to show its purpose).

I made an empirical test:

1) Sat around somewhere safe measured food use while nothing was happening. It was one food every 2:15 minutes. Lets call it base digestion

2) Jumped on a spike trap then let myself heal by natural healing. It was roughly 10 food to heal 10 health, after deduction of the base digestion

3) Then with Healing Factor 2 did the same. It was again 10 food to heal 10 health after deduction of base digestion. It just happened about twice as fast (5 minutes instead of 11-12)

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

14 hours ago, ARRANOX said:

Thats very intereresting... 

so if it does not deplete food or stamina, im back to considering that i might have encountered some sort of bug in my game.

in my game i did end up consuming around 300 food per day. i don`t know what i usually consume though. 

but it kinda felt like the food was draining at the same rate as when you are freezing in the game.

come to think of it there was an instance on one of the frist days where i had bleeding but the health did not decrease while bleeding, i was stressing with the bandage so i did not really catch on at the moment. but when i think about it now... it could maybe mean i had a corrupted save file or something?

I will try a new Fortitude build and see it works or if there was something else draining my food.

Not the original commenter but the knuckles are insanely OP. Especially when you get a book that "melee power attacks greatly increase your knockdown chance" and the "every melee fist punch (leather, iron, steel knuckles) heal you one health per punch" stuff gets insanely op. Just charge into a horde and focus one enemy at a time. Pair it with sexual rex, heavy armor, and the perk book "your armor does not weigh you down while In combat" you essentially become a tank. Infinite stamina, infinite knockdown, infinite attacks. It's deadly, which it has to be for melee.

As for HF, it's insanely OP. I always grab it the moment i can, I do believe what you engineered is a bug because I've never had that issue before. So i do wish you luck, i play on survivalist and the above build has never let me down!

May the hordes be small and the loot be large!

25 minutes ago, Urban Blackbear said:

As far as feeding yourself goes you can't rely on canned goods. They just don't give enough food. One point in Master Chef for the basic recipes is a must for me.

2 hours ago, Darklegend222 said:

Not the original commenter but the knuckles are insanely OP. Especially when you get a book that "melee power attacks greatly increase your knockdown chance" and the "every melee fist punch (leather, iron, steel knuckles) heal you one health per punch" stuff gets insanely op. Just charge into a horde and focus one enemy at a time. Pair it with sexual rex, heavy armor, and the perk book "your armor does not weigh you down while In combat" you essentially become a tank. Infinite stamina, infinite knockdown, infinite attacks. It's deadly, which it has to be for melee.

so the point of me going one tree at the time is to add the challenge of having to get by without the must have perks in the other trees.

i have played my own perfect build so many times. so i do it like this now for the challenge and to force myself to play another style aswell.

I put Fortitude for last as i thought it would be the most OP build.

Since i think the food issue might have been some bug/glitch i might still be the most OP. 

Im running the game from a 10 yr old 3TB HDD thats over 70% full, 

the load times have been horrible for me lately, so it might be that its messing stuff up when creating the game.

I can`t say that i understand enough about how computers/hard drives work to say anything about it though.

does anyone think my hard drive could be creating issues? :)

2 hours ago, Darklegend222 said:

As for HF, it's insanely OP. I always grab it the moment i can, I do believe what you engineered is a bug because I've never had that issue before. So i do wish you luck, i play on survivalist and the above build has never let me down!

May the hordes be small and the loot be large!

I wouldn't call it OP, but yes,  with the books, heavy armor, HF, IS, you do become a tank and very very hard to kill.

HOWEVER, charging into a mob and punchy punching away, while fun, t'ain't so fun when "your exhausted" (need a vitamin) or,  sprained arm. etc.

(it happens, annoying too)

I do the STR/FORT build a lot.  Punch the individual/small groups, M60 for the big groups or the green ones.

One punch popping the head of a bear is soooooo satisfying though.  :D

(same for one-shotting those stupid leaping lizard zeds. I really really hate them.)

I never noticed any extra food drain. But using food faster to heal faster, well, does make sense.

(and if you have a buncha points in Fort, then you should have a farm and be making better foods)

(sham should be going to sham chowder of course, as you do get an HP buff, which if melee fighting, you are going to want)

23 hours ago, pregnable said:

As long as it drains my food I will probably not use it... at least not until I have like 300+ corn farm plots. 

Rather just grow aloe and eat bandages instead. 

Read Meganoth's post above with empirical data. It does not drain your food any more than base digestion and healing by eating food.

For me it likely has a little side effect.. If I'm hurt and well fed, I'll fight carefully. If I'm fully healed but hungry, I'll fight more recklessly. "I'm fine, let's go get some food" .. once you start counting the hits you take landing 1:1 on your food bar, that's a different feel.

Plus, if I don't have Healing factor, I'll heal with meds when I can fit one in, so a lot less food used that way.

So, while it might not be a Real drain, it's a real drain ... :)

I'll heal with meds too, it's much faster.

Of course, then need to drink to offset that, but water is much easier to get/make.

(and once you get to make purified water....)

Mind you, none of that helps with broken/sprained bones.  That takes time to heal, and being impatient, I like as much HF as I can get.

:D