Clear Quest Bug?

PinkLed5

EDIT: Nvm.  I missed an area and when I went there the red dots appeared on the HUD.

I'm on a tier 4 clear quest (Cathedral) and I've killed all the zombies.  There's no red or yellow dot on my HUD and yet it says I still have to clear the area.  There's no zombies left.

Is there a way to complete the quest using the console?  I'm running my own dedicated server and have access to all commands.

Edited by PinkLed5
Obvious, isn't it? (see edit history)

14 hours ago, PinkLed5 said:

EDIT: Nvm.  I missed an area and when I went there the red dots appeared on the HUD.

I'm on a tier 4 clear quest (Cathedral) and I've killed all the zombies.  There's no red or yellow dot on my HUD and yet it says I still have to clear the area.  There's no zombies left.

Is there a way to complete the quest using the console?  I'm running my own dedicated server and have access to all commands.

I already got this issue with quest 4 and 5.

Sometimes zombies not appear in yellow or red, so need to check all area again, and sometimes no work so I use directly the command killall, and that's work.

so try command -> killall   at different level of the cathedral ;)

27 minutes ago, Spiked_Coffee said:

One thing I've been known to do,  usually at a factory, is to run around with no silencer firing off my AK or other loud weapon, trying to wake up the sleepers.

This doesn't always work. You can not wake up anything that is not yet spawned. For example, the zombies in the trap room in the apartment building only spawn when the player is very close.

• 1 month later...

Happens to me all of the time 😕

Usually, 3/4th of the time, it's because something hasn't spawned into place yet... often it's one of the thunder chickens, so double-check the roofs for the flappy f*cks

Half the time I just had to fail the quest and do another one :(

7d2d does need a console command to complete a current quest

4 hours ago, Lumpus said:

7d2d does need a console command to complete a current quest

On 12/25/2020 at 10:15 AM, PinkLed5 said:

But....you failed it. There is already a user interface command to cancel a quest and/or you can just leave to fail it. Why does there need to be a console command to complete the quest you didn't.....complete? In almost all cases, yes, it is because something hasn't spawned yet but if you search through you often find it. OP is case in point. What is the benefit of having a console command that completes it anyway? Are you wanting it to then send you back to the trader to get your reward?

no there is no command to complete a quest.

as others have stated and you found out that if you miss an area there will not be an indicator unless the xml tag has been met...

EG:

<property name="ShowQuestClearCount" value="3" /> the number simply means the remaining yellow dots wont show unless you have reached the number (in this example - 3) are still alive/not killed |(so if you missed more then that number you shouldnt see an indicator and if you stepped into the volume you will get the red dots.

on my pois i set that number to match the tier number of the poi.

as roland says... you can just ignore it if it failed and grab it again when/if available.

On 2/19/2021 at 8:44 PM, Roland said:

But....you failed it. There is already a user interface command to cancel a quest and/or you can just leave to fail it. Why does there need to be a console command to complete the quest you didn't.....complete?

On 2/19/2021 at 8:44 PM, Roland said:

In almost all cases, yes, it is because something hasn't spawned yet

And this is a problem.  All of them should spawn as soon as you start the quest.  Otherwise, what's the point of having a yellow indicator in the first place if it's not going to tell you where the remaining Z's are at? 

Even if you do happen to miss 1 small room in a huge POI like the deshong tower for example, the indicator should tell you that.  It's what it was designed for, correct?

That sounds like a game problem....not a user problem.  Users shouldn't have to resort to willingly cancel a quest just because a function of the game isn't working properly.

You are not "failing" the quest willingly.  You are not walking out of the area and/or failing to grab the satchel.  You are failing it because a part of a game function is not working like it was supposed to. 

5 hours ago, Sal said:

Otherwise, what's the point of having a yellow indicator in the first place if it's not going to tell you where the remaining Z's are at? 

The yellow marker shows you the last place you haven't looked, not every zed. In bigger POIs, it will show you the "last 3" or so. You don't need the markers to complete a clear at all, you just need to check everywhere. That's what clearing is, you check Everything.

If you aren't getting the yellow markers at a place that shows them at 3, you're missing at least four areas. I wouldn't call that a clear, I would call that lazy ;) The trader wants to house people there safely, having 4 rooms full or surprises is going to be a bad day for a lot of them. (sure, that's a little storytelling, mostly to make the difference between a "clear" and a "checkpoint run")

It might make for an interesting mechanic for the trader to accept an incomplete clear and then become hostile later when it's revealed you messed up that bad. Maybe difficult to make, but still.

6 hours ago, Sal said:

And this is a problem.  All of them should spawn as soon as you start the quest.  Otherwise, what's the point of having a yellow indicator in the first place if it's not going to tell you where the remaining Z's are at? 

Even if you do happen to miss 1 small room in a huge POI like the deshong tower for example, the indicator should tell you that.  It's what it was designed for, correct?

That sounds like a game problem....not a user problem.  Users shouldn't have to resort to willingly cancel a quest just because a function of the game isn't working properly.

You are not "failing" the quest willingly.  You are not walking out of the area and/or failing to grab the satchel.  You are failing it because a part of a game function is not working like it was supposed to. 

If a boss kills me in a fight, I also don't die willingly, I still fail.

Now granted, a trap room where you don't fall into the trap should not lead to a situation where you are worse off than someone who fell in. And this problem was acknowledged by TFP and a fix "promised". The fix will be that those zombies won't count for finishing the quest. Unless TFP forgot (and we have to remind them) I expect this to be in A20 among numerous smaller fixes.

12 hours ago, Sal said:

Sorry but that is a tech limitation that will never change. Zombies will only spawn as you get near to their spawn volume. Therefore, they will never all spawn as soon as you start the quest.

It means that you must methodically search through larger POI's so you don't miss anything. The blips are meant to be a guide once you are close to zeds after approaching an area of the POI you haven't encountered before and not meant to be a crutch. The yellow blip is meant to communicate you have just one area left to search and guides you to that final area. If you want all the zeds to show up on radar at the beginning so you can just follow blips around and not have to do any actual searching then you are using it as a crutch and not the guide it is intended to be.

The game is meant to be played with you interacting with the open 3d world and not meant for you to simply play a radar blip user interface minigame. You should be able to search a building completely without the use of any radar and succeed. So if you are still failing with the radar blips that we have then-- no, you definitely aren't entitled to a console command that counts it as a win and lets you go back to the trader for your loot.

The OP admitted that what he thought was a bug turned out to be not a bug once he searched again and found the area he missed. That is how you turn a fail into a success. You don't just assume that the game glitched and THAT'S why you couldn't succeed and then console command it as a win. 

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

All the quest poi’s are linear beginning to end. If you follow the designers linear pathway and don’t break down doors/walls to make your own path, you will clear any poi completely. Once you stray off the designed path you run the risk of missing some zombies. 

38 minutes ago, Star69 said:

All the quest poi’s are linear beginning to end. If you follow the designers linear pathway and don’t break down doors/walls to make your own path, you will clear any poi completely. Once you stray off the designed path you run the risk of missing some zombies. 

This doesn't apply to some of the high tier quests, the factories and such have some rooms you have to either trigger accidentally or otherwise actively seek out.

The designer created pathway is meant to serve as a gauntlet to the treasure room period. It doesn’t apply to a clear quest where you are supposed scour the entire POI and clear it of all enemies. It also doesn’t lead you to the hidden parcel. 

The key to clearing a POI is to do it methodically. Just following the light trail will lead you to the final loot but not to every corner of the POI. 

• 10 months later...
On 2/19/2021 at 7:44 PM, Roland said:

But....you failed it. There is already a user interface command to cancel a quest and/or you can just leave to fail it. Why does there need to be a console command to complete the quest you didn't.....complete? In almost all cases, yes, it is because something hasn't spawned yet but if you search through you often find it. OP is case in point. What is the benefit of having a console command that completes it anyway? Are you wanting it to then send you back to the trader to get your reward?

Revisiting this topic and issue.  I've been doing farm_02 restore power quests in A20 for the last several nights in a row.  I know where all the zombies are and I basically just speed run it now.  Had the issue where the "clear zombies" part of the quest wouldn't complete, and I know for a fact I killed all the zombies.  I even tried the "killall" command to no avail.  I just have to abandon the quest.  😕

16 hours ago, PinkLed5 said:

Revisiting this topic and issue.  I've been doing farm_02 restore power quests in A20 for the last several nights in a row.  I know where all the zombies are and I basically just speed run it now.  Had the issue where the "clear zombies" part of the quest wouldn't complete, and I know for a fact I killed all the zombies.  I even tried the "killall" command to no avail.  I just have to abandon the quest.  😕

New situation in A20: Now most quests already show as cleared/finished after killing less than the max number of zombies. AND as we all know sleepers get distributed randomly.

In other words there could be the case that you always missed to find a specific room that had less than the maximum amount of zombies in it. But the last time this hidden room was filled to the max and so you had no chance to fullfil the quest

I'm not saying this happened, I'm just saying this is a farfetched possibility besides there being a bug.

Is farm_02 the rather modern house where the quest ends at the generator in the barn reachable through a tunnel?

PS: Checked the xml for farm_02 and if I correctly interpret what "SleeperIsQuestExclude" means then there are at least no rooms excluded from the clear quest. But I don't know enough about POI xml to make any further conclusions.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

New situation in A20: Now most quests already show as cleared/finished after killing less than the max number of zombies. AND as we all know sleepers get distributed randomly.

In other words there could be the case that you always missed to find a specific room that had less than the maximum amount of zombies in it. But the last time this hidden room was filled to the max and so you had no chance to fullfil the quest

I'm not saying this happened, I'm just saying this is a farfetched possibility besides there being a bug.

Is farm_02 the rather modern house where the quest ends at the generator in the barn reachable through a tunnel?

PS: Checked the xml for farm_02 and if I correctly interpret what "SleeperIsQuestExclude" means then there are at least no rooms excluded from the clear quest. But I don't know enough about POI xml to make any further conclusions.

You're correct about the PoI.  I even ran through every room of the house firing my AK47.  The only thing I can think of, is I placed wood frame blocks beneath the stairs where those two zombies spawn.  Only one zombie spawned there on that play through, though.  Perhaps the other zombie was prevented from spawning by the wood frame blocks?  I don't know, I haven't experimented with this enough to know how the game handles it.

EDIT: This one was particularly painful because my game lost connection moments before I completed it the first time.  So, after reconnecting, I had to wait until the next night to try again.  I planned my entire day around it making sure I could be back in time.  Almost two whole in game days devoted to this quest and then I couldn't complete it, though I technically completed it twice.  😕

Edited by PinkLed5
That's none of your business and I thank you to stay out of my personal affairs. (see edit history)

Similar story: I drove to the distant snow biome for the night quest in exactly the same POI and made sure to arrive just as the evening began. Started the quest, and in a pretty advanced state of it was called to accept a telephone call. Logged out without thinking only to remember that logging out while in a quest is not really a good idea. 

After logging in immediately checked the time, it was just a few minutes after 2. Ended up creating a subbase in that town, do some more quests and forgetting to start the quest on time the next night as well.

Two days and three nights to do that single quest. 🙄

• 1 month later...

Did a few low level quests, completed the challenge (all ticks), and before i left the area i had to pause (press esc) for one reason or another, then when i returned and pressed esc again the clear area had a cross. no zombies could be found. not even in cheat mode, with loud noises, or using killall.
Pretty sure it just happened again on a tier 5 quest, but I wasn't paying attention to whether it ticked or not, i just finished with multiple pauses, and now the clear area has a cross and I've looked for a *possible* last zombie in god mode with a loud gun firing constantly and killall after every floor and its still..
Very frustrating. no indication on compass thing or anything.

On 2/15/2022 at 10:16 PM, Toska said:

Did a few low level quests, completed the challenge (all ticks), and before i left the area i had to pause (press esc) for one reason or another, then when i returned and pressed esc again the clear area had a cross. no zombies could be found. not even in cheat mode, with loud noises, or using killall.
Pretty sure it just happened again on a tier 5 quest, but I wasn't paying attention to whether it ticked or not, i just finished with multiple pauses, and now the clear area has a cross and I've looked for a *possible* last zombie in god mode with a loud gun firing constantly and killall after every floor and its still..
Very frustrating. no indication on compass thing or anything.

I would **love** this to stop happening every single new quest now

• 3 weeks later...

I had a problem with clear in a t5 building recently. After searching for a full hour I was on the verge of giving up and calling it a bug when I finally found the culprit:  A zombie was stuck in a railing and couldn't move. As his animation was also stuck he was motionless and hard to see if you didn't walk right by him.

There is a bug here, the zombie was stuck. But the quest was working correctly.

Not to say this is the explanation for everything here. Another reason may be that files of old alphas have survived the steam update. If someone constantly has problems with quests he could try to delete the whole Data/Prefabs folder in the directory of the game and then let steam reload it (Properties->Local Files-> Verify Integrity). No guarantee it helps but it can't hurt either.

My friend and I have similar issues with clears, at least for tier 2, 3, and 4 quests. We clear the poi and the quest isn't updated to reflect that. We go through the poi multiple times to look for rooms/areas that we've missed, and the quest still isn't updated. Last night, I think we were down to one zombie and the yellow marker showed the zombie above us in the underground area but below us up top. I think it might have gotten stuck in limbo between two areas. I tried digging to find the zombie, but to no avail.

We've noticed in the past two weeks that the zombies spawn in late when doing clear quests; like, after we've walked through and looted several rooms, we have a multitude of zombies appear in the rooms that we just walked through. We can run the same poi as a fetch quest and don't have any issues with zombies loading, the issue only happens with clears or fetch/clears. So, it appears that this phenomenon only occurs when the player has to clear the poi; whether it is a fetch/clear or a straight up clear. Whenever possible, my friend and I choose buried supplies or fetch quests over clears because of this issue; however, the clear quests are unavoidable in the higher tiers.

The command, "sleeperreset" seems to work; however, it resets sleepers everywhere, including our home bases.

I know I read a new thread somewhere in which a person encountered a similar issue. They deleted the Data/Prefabs folder and validated the files, but it didn't work. They were also advised to use the "chunkreset cr" command, which didn't work for them or for us.

We will try deleting Data/Prefabs folder and let Steam reload it and validate, and let you know how it works for us. 

The same/similar bug has been reported and I think that I read somewhere that it was "under review."

Edited by gamerlady (see edit history)

5 hours ago, gamerlady said:

My friend and I have similar issues with clears, at least for tier 2, 3, and 4 quests. We clear the poi and the quest isn't updated to reflect that. We go through the poi multiple times to look for rooms/areas that we've missed, and the quest still isn't updated. Last night, I think we were down to one zombie and the yellow marker showed the zombie above us in the underground area but below us up top. I think it might have gotten stuck in limbo between two areas. I tried digging to find the zombie, but to no avail.

We've noticed in the past two weeks that the zombies spawn in late when doing clear quests; like, after we've walked through and looted several rooms, we have a multitude of zombies appear in the rooms that we just walked through. We can run the same poi as a fetch quest and don't have any issues with zombies loading, the issue only happens with clears or fetch/clears. So, it appears that this phenomenon only occurs when the player has to clear the poi; whether it is a fetch/clear or a straight up clear. Whenever possible, my friend and I choose buried supplies or fetch quests over clears because of this issue; however, the clear quests are unavoidable in the higher tiers.

The command, "sleeperreset" seems to work; however, it resets sleepers everywhere, including our home bases.

I know I read a new thread somewhere in which a person encountered a similar issue. They deleted the Data/Prefabs folder and validated the files, but it didn't work. They were also advised to use the "chunkreset cr" command, which didn't work for them or for us.

We will try deleting Data/Prefabs folder and let Steam reload it and validate, and let you know how it works for us. 

The same/similar bug has been reported and I think that I read somewhere that it was "under review."

Deleting the Data/Prefabs folder and validating didn't work either. We're now noticing that even on the lower tier fetch quests, the zombies aren't completely loading in. I'm guessing that the issue is related to all quests because we can raid and clear a poi, reset it for a quest, and zombies aren't appearing as they should.

Edited by gamerlady (see edit history)