Clear Quest Bug?

PinkLed5

12 hours ago, gamerlady said:

Deleting the Data/Prefabs folder and validating didn't work either. We're now noticing that even on the lower tier fetch quests, the zombies aren't completely loading in. I'm guessing that the issue is related to all quests because we can raid and clear a poi, reset it for a quest, and zombies aren't appearing as they should.

Many thanks. Since the bug has been reported a solution will possibly come from that quarter if they can reproduce, but it will take time.

You might want to check there for any progress or whether the bug report goes into "confirmed" (which would mean it will get fixed, probably still in A20). You could also offer your savegame as a further sample in that thread.

In the meantime if you want working quests you have a few options, all by destroying progress in various ways. After making a backup of your savegame folder you could either clear your configuration (with the game launcher, see the tab "Tools") and start a new game, or just delete your player characters from this game and check out if this corrects the issue.

On 3/6/2022 at 6:09 AM, meganoth said:

Many thanks. Since the bug has been reported a solution will possibly come from that quarter if they can reproduce, but it will take time.

You might want to check there for any progress or whether the bug report goes into "confirmed" (which would mean it will get fixed, probably still in A20). You could also offer your savegame as a further sample in that thread.

In the meantime if you want working quests you have a few options, all by destroying progress in various ways. After making a backup of your savegame folder you could either clear your configuration (with the game launcher, see the tab "Tools") and start a new game, or just delete your player characters from this game and check out if this corrects the issue.

Thanks, I'll give your ideas a try.

I’ve been running a single player, quests only game. Turned off horde nights and just doing quests, all the different types. Currently, I’m up to tier 4 at one trader and haven’t been able to replicate any issues. All fetch, clear, fetch & clear and buried supplies work as expected. Next I’m going to start the night missions. Once I finish through tier 5, I’ll move to another trader and start over.

Just had the issue again in tier 2, it usually happens more often in tier 4 & 5... Running everywhere firing with ak47 don't help, killall don't help.

This game is driving me crazy, how can it still happen after al these years... Zombies just don't spawn, wtf

• 2 weeks later...

Okay... Here's what I ended up having to do:

• I deleted my Prefabs folder (again).
  • Validated it through Steam (again), and this time Steam said that some files couldn't be validated. I tried again, and the files were validated. This part didn't happen when I tried to delete the Prefabs folder the first time.
  • I started a new game (which really sucked).

I'm only doing Tier 1 quests without issues. In my previous single-player game, I was already seeing zombies not spawning correctly for clear quests on Tier 1. I still think that it's a bug, but it's one that has a workaround. Maybe it will work with a saved game, but don't hold your breath because it didn't work for me on a saved game. Also, my friend and I haven't played together after I figured out the workaround, so I don't know if it'll work on multiplayer games.

On 3/22/2022 at 8:03 PM, gamerlady said:

Okay... Here's what I ended up having to do:

• I deleted my Prefabs folder (again).
  • Validated it through Steam (again), and this time Steam said that some files couldn't be validated. I tried again, and the files were validated. This part didn't happen when I tried to delete the Prefabs folder the first time.
  • I started a new game (which really sucked).

I'm only doing Tier 1 quests without issues. In my previous single-player game, I was already seeing zombies not spawning correctly for clear quests on Tier 1. I still think that it's a bug, but it's one that has a workaround. Maybe it will work with a saved game, but don't hold your breath because it didn't work for me on a saved game. Also, my friend and I haven't played together after I figured out the workaround, so I don't know if it'll work on multiplayer games.

The workaround does work on multiplayer, as long as both players have taken the steps above. My friend and I are playing on the "Better Vanilla" mod and haven't had any issues like we did before, and I'm playing on vanilla.

I have encountered a Clear Area Bug as well.

When the quest is nearly done some yellow dots appear on your compass right?

What happened to me and my friends is that when those dots appear, and we get near to one of them, no zombies appear. One time this happened it was in apartment_blk_6_flr I think, I can't remember the exact name. It was a T5 Clear Quest.
However, recently we encountered it again, yellow dots appeared, 3 I think, and 2 of those 3 dots, the enemies spawned but on 1 dot, nothing happened when we got near, no spawns. This one is in skyscraper_02 I think. Not sure if the map matters but yeah, it happened to us twice already. This is also a T5 Clear Quest.
So far we've encountered this twice which are both T5 Clear Quests.
spacer.png

• 1 month later...

(I have the dangerous cities modlet and random wandering hordes mods installed)

I'm having an issue now in the Crack-A-Book Tower T5 POI (skyscraper_02). I've done this POI many times, and I always take the same route. For some reason, when I entered through the window like normal, none of the zombies inside spawned (and I DID start the quest by clicking the exclamation point trigger thing - I got the quest objective in the upper right of the screen too). Then, after trying to make noise and stuff and find them, they suddenly spawned when I was in one of the upper rooms.

I did have some cops spawn outside and enter before the sleepers started spawning. They cops damaged some of the POI areas also before the spawning started. Is it possible that if a block that a sleeper is supposed to spawn on is somehow destroyed before that sleeper spawns on it, that sleeper won't be able to spawn? Some zombies/sleepers spawn in the first area you enter for this POI - they spawn on the roof, on top of glass panes. I think some of those panes were broken before the sleepers actually started spawning. Perhaps that's the issue?

Here's a screenshot after I've cleared the entire POI, gotten the end loot, etc. I've wandered all over this area, and can't get anything new to spawn:

ETA: I failed the quest by moving away from it (after this screenshot was taken), and the yellow marker remained. I had to save/exit, and reload the map to get it to disappear.

A20.4_2022-04-30_15-16-11.thumb.jpg.576d48b5198e587c913dac8e16699709.jpg

Edited by plzkthxbye (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, sombie said:

Hi is there any fix to it by now? Someone mentioned a bug was reported about it, does anyone know the link to that bug?

You could go to the bug report section. Click on the red banner and then click on link and it will take you there. On the righthand side you will see the various categories for bug reports.

In my experience, we tried following the correct path of the POI instead of just busting through anything, going around randomly. Lo and behold we got to finish the clear quest in all areas where we encountered the bug. It was more than a week ago so I can't remember which POIs those were.

We stopped playing for now though, after encountering a bunch of profile-related bugs.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, dbvel said:

Ever since I had a power shortage at home, SOME quests will not show the remaining zombies. I've experienced it with quests of all tiers, even in tier1 small houses.

I think it's relevant to mention that actually I almost lost my save file. I had to fix it by doing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkteeH5gR6s ...

Most likely your save file was damaged by the power outage. There could be other issues you’ll come across if you continue on that save. 

You might try starting a new game and try a few quests to see if the problem persists. If the new save looks clean then you’ll have to make the decision to either start over with your new game or keep going on the damaged one and just live with the quirks. 

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2022 at 1:54 AM, Dagger Digwillow said:

I am currently having this issue even on level 2 clear or clear and fetch quests. Has anyone found an answer for this in which you can save the server? 

I am trying to delete the region files that do not have my base and fort in them.  Thus far I have been able to complete a clear quest without issue, but it remains to be seen if it is repeatable as I go further.  I followed the instructions in the below link and I also made a backup of all my region files just in case.  This will reset all the things you have done in other regions (ie mining, harvesting, etc).

23 hours ago, Seele said:

I am trying to delete the region files that do not have my base and fort in them.  Thus far I have been able to complete a clear quest without issue, but it remains to be seen if it is repeatable as I go further.  I followed the instructions in the below link and I also made a backup of all my region files just in case.  This will reset all the things you have done in other regions (ie mining, harvesting, etc).

Just a quick update.

Thus far this has solved the Clear Quest issue and zombie spawns.  We did 4-5 varying POIs without issue last night and a blood moon.

As a final followup, while we had zombie spawns and POIs working, the server performance seemed to be degraded and was getting worse with time.  Therefore, I have started a new MAP seed as a test, performance is far better now and I think we are all just going to start fresh (remains to be seen if the performance increase/boost stays long term).  Since the original was our first run through, we made lots of mistakes in Perks, builds, etc.  It won't take us long to get it back on track, thus far we are really enjoying the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had this with Restore power on house_modern_23, a Tier 4 White River clear and activate generator mission.  After cleaning the house and going through the bunker door to the underground lab and cleaning it out, the yellow dot lead back to a secret wall portion at the base of the staircase under the bunker door.  Breaking it showed that no zombie spawned.  Since all the blocks were undamaged, it is just a failed spawn.  After exiting to the main menu and doing it all again, the same thing happened.  I followed the correct path, so that is not the issue.  They should should just put in a failed spawn function that will remove that requirement from the mission.  I have seen A LOT of zombies clipping through structures to either insta-die or end up on another floor in A20, so I went into god mode and clipped around the missing marker but it was no there and merely "sleeping", most likely due to it being out of bounds.

At the very least these missions should auto-trigger all zombies left after a certain amount of time on the mission, and if they cannot do that due to a spawn bug, then the mission is considered a success.  "Hold the area for two minutes to complete the mission..." type of thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Something that was mentioned once or twice that I think is still part of all of this is the spawning of mobs in rooms you have already cleared. I have seen mobs spawn right in front of me in areas that I previously walked through and was inches or feet away from. They weren't there the first time around and often aren't there until moving through a room 2-3 more times. I feel like spawning in general right now is super glitchy. We generally do a `killall` right before starting a quest poi and that seems to help, but it's definitely not a guarantee. 

I've also cleared and entire POI to find the random floating yellow dot. The last time (just a couple of nights ago) it was 2-3 blocks above the floor but still below the ceiling (don't recall the exact building, but  it was some sort of tier 5 pop-n-pills factory). Making all the noise in the world right near the location made no difference. Grenades, rockets, rifles... didn't matter.

The one thing I was thinking about tonight while reading these posts is that my wife and I were running that same POI in a different location completely (one desert one snow) and she failed the quest (died) in the desert. I was able to complete the quest. When we picked up the quest in the snow, neither of use were able to complete the quest. Probably not related, but curious. Was thinking that somehow a player is tied to a specific POI (regardless of location) and her failing the time before somehow broke that POI. This was the situation above with the floating yellow dot.

• 3 months later...

Got  a  similar problem  with a T4 quest to  clear all zombies in a skyscraper under construction. It's a difficult climb with  jumps and navigate a crane. I've spent hours trying to complete  that  quest and it just   does not complete.  Reloaded from a backup saved game several times, even  used  god mode to  "fly" throught the various levels but no avail.   The  le command  did  not show any zombies. That  is very frustrating.  No fun!

Cheers Euclid

ps: It's  skyscraper_04

Edited by euclid (see edit history)

4 hours ago, euclid said:

Got  a  similar problem  with a T4 quest to  clear all zombies in a skyscraper under construction. It's a difficult climb with  jumps and navigate a crane. I've spent hours trying to complete  that  quest and it just   does not complete.  Reloaded from a backup saved game several times, even  used  god mode to  "fly" throught the various levels but no avail.   The  le command  did  not show any zombies. That  is very frustrating.  No fun!

Cheers Euclid

ps: It's  skyscraper_04

If it is the one I am thinking of, there is a very small room near the top that can easily be missed.  Most "missing" zombies end up being there, but get missed by the player.  And if they are sleepers, they won't spawn if you don't enter their zone, so flying or using le isn't always going to help much.

There are only a couple of POI that have required zombies who are not on the main route that you are intended to take.  Zombies are more likely to be missed if you take any other route.  Taking a shortcut if you aren't familiar with where the zombies spawn can leave you in this situation.  Not saying you did, but just that it is common.  And, thinking about it, if that is the one I think, my first time through there, I created my own path near the top because I didn't see the correct one, so missed some zombies and had to find them.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

Thanks for the info,

It is skyscraper_14 which has a crane close to it (not in the middle). You can use the crane to move up to the skyscraper levels but there are also ladders which are accesible by jumping on crates and over broken planks. And yes, there is a small enclosed room high up which you can only enter via a hatch on top.

I've used the "normal" ways (ladders, the crane etc.) to search&clear the building. Only after I could not find anymore targets I've used the fly mode to check for anything I've missed. 

Visited the skyscraper again and now suspect the problem are the vultures. There is a group on lvl 5 (I think, could  be 6) and if you shoot one, the other fly up and  sometimes leave  the  quest  area. If you sniper them there it doesn't count for the  quest.  I have not yet verfied it but will one day (did this mission too often :p  )

Cheers  Euclid

5 hours ago, euclid said:

Thanks for the info,

It is skyscraper_14 which has a crane close to it (not in the middle). You can use the crane to move up to the skyscraper levels but there are also ladders which are accesible by jumping on crates and over broken planks. And yes, there is a small enclosed room high up which you can only enter via a hatch on top.

I've used the "normal" ways (ladders, the crane etc.) to search&clear the building. Only after I could not find anymore targets I've used the fly mode to check for anything I've missed. 

Visited the skyscraper again and now suspect the problem are the vultures. There is a group on lvl 5 (I think, could  be 6) and if you shoot one, the other fly up and  sometimes leave  the  quest  area. If you sniper them there it doesn't count for the  quest.  I have not yet verfied it but will one day (did this mission too often :p  )

Cheers  Euclid

Yeah, vultures are often the culprits.  If they fly away, they are supposed to reset or she's just become unneeded (I think that is only if they are the last enemy, and may be a bug).  I always try to take vulture out first in any room or ledge or roof because of this.  Besides, they are annoying if they attack you.

• 2 weeks later...