A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

6 hours ago, rubens9311 said:

Good afternoon nights.

Hey, I was one of those who always answers "when it's done" or "when it's ready" but I'm looking forward to renting an sv in FNX and well, I wanted to know if a stable 19.4 is coming, EVEN IF IT IS AN APPROACH, I'm not asking for precision. Greetings to all and thanks MM and Faatal for all the patches and fixes 🙂

They just patched the experimental branch so probably at least a week-- especially if they continue to add changes. Could very well be that what they just did will end up being what they push to stable but there is no guarantee they won't push a few more changes out for this version.

34 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Solid change imo, I think more stuff should be gated behind perks as a lot of the perks are currently kind of noob traps. Like pack mule, where you spend perks on it only to find pocket mods that do the exact same thing for free. Books are too RNG for my terrible luck, I literally have never found the craftable lantern or blackstrap coffee  books even after like 150+ hours in A19 lol

Funny. I keep on finding the blackstrap coffee book within the first week. 😛

4 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Are you planning legendary weapons for A20  or are you waiting for primitive ones to be in first? Btw long time since we heard about those.

Yeah, I'm hoping they won't be like unique items from Diablo lore, it's much more fun to have some fluidity to the effects gear can bring to play.

40 minutes ago, RealMayhemfest said:

My only question to the devs and the community is, is there ever going to be a feature added that allows for zombie spawn rate to be increased on non blood moon days with out modding the game? That’s the one feature I’m dying for and this game would have everything I want lol.

Is there in A20 or in the near future, going to be a feature in game that allows for Zombie Spawn rate/density on non-blood moon days with out moding?

Depends on what you mean by modding. There is a way to do exactly this just by changing a couple of numbers in one of the xml files, no user-generated content necessary.

5 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

The system that you are describing alone is not good enough

You might want to reword that bit. Not pointing fingers at you, but the way you presented the first part of that message makes it seem like you're acting entitled. I'm sure whatever TFP will present to us will be "good enough" if not beyond.

Edit reason: spelling errors

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

You might want to reword that bit. Not pointing fingers at you, but the way you presented the first part of that message makes it seem like you're acting entitled. I'm sure whatever TFP will present to us will be "good enough" if not beyond.

Edit reason: spelling errors

Not my intention. Ever. Stating a fact and the reason behind. I'm unsure about the game systems like that one if timelines get in the way though. Not that TFP did ever give a reason to doubt them. Quite the contrary. Yet Zds are repetitive. I wouldn't like for npcs to be too.

2 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Not my intention. Ever. Stating a fact and the reason behind. I'm unsure about the game systems like that one if timelines get in the way though. Not that TFP did ever give a reason to doubt them. Quite the contrary. Yet Zds are repetitive. I wouldn't like for npcs to be too.

Mm-hmm. Right.

Well, hopefully TFP provide a fairly diverse customization system (a wide range of hair types are a must in my opinion), but if they cannot find the time then I'm sure just having a preset select option would be fine as well. While I love that the game is still in alpha, it would obviously be within their best interests to get 7D2D to gold ASAP.

On 12/6/2020 at 6:16 AM, meilodasreh said:

Skill, dude...it's all about skill.

You may want to try shaping your question quite a bit more precisely.

I mean you don't ask the NASA "how were you able to build a rocket to bring man to the moon? I have tried, but it didn't fly as high as yours..."

It's because there are highly skilled people working there...so where exactly was your problem??? 🤔

Come here  https://discord.gg/9samDkS  and they can explain the problem better than I. 

Read the announcement for 11-30-2020 

13 hours ago, Pritch said:

Is there a reason the camera zooms on the edges?  I took a picture of the "S" on the sign here and compared it to the size displayed when you position the "S" in the corner of the screen.  The entire sign appears much closer and is zoomed in.  The size quadruples when you look at it in the corner rather than in front of you.  This is very distracting in game and difficult to ignore. 

If I could do this in real life I could pass the test at the eye doctor and not need glasses.

1543001350_2s.thumb.png.9dbb5390a25507ce2a2f06ae6bfef99d.png716051671_comparisons.thumb.png.02f4292b80d092d7712d8db41afdb18a.png77154709_1s.thumb.png.14671545bf816478ba320d8072399160.png

*This is the moment when you've played a lot in Quake 3 Arena and don't understand what the problem is at all*  😅

5 minutes ago, BobbyLee298 said:

could we see, See through scopes for A20, meaning no more black screen with crosshairs, also those crosshairs could use some 2k textures IMO

Also do you plane on making the new Holo sight, and Desert vulture red dot its own mod, so people can use a holo sight or that low profile red dot on other guns

Having the EXP pop up when you make a kill while looking down a scope would be nice as well.

1 minute ago, Roland said:

Having the EXP never pop up whenever you make any kill anytime would be most nice....

Deleting the HUD altogether and having your dog lick the PC screen while you sniff some recently mowed grass will do it for me. Most immersive.

Personally, I find the process of Raw Materials > Processed Materials > Finished Goods very rewarding, and that a bigger backpack to account for finding more world building items (Alarm clocks, Nail clippers, paper clips, a can full of old screws, spark plugs, etc.) you could scrap for more than one base material ( Scissors would yield plastic and metal) would make the scavenging aspect of the game really shine. It's disappointing to evolve into the era of ignoring certain loot because you have more than you need at the base. I love how Fallout 4 did their scrapping system, as it meant most items still had a use even mid to late game.

It gets to the point where you could streamline the game into using [WEAPON] to kill [ENEMIES] for [MEAT] and [DOLLARS] but those games existed 25 years ago and this game is so much better than that.

Leave my knobs alone! :)

59 minutes ago, Roland said:

Having the EXP never pop up whenever you make any kill anytime would be most nice....

Thunder thief. 😛

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

Press F7. ;)

Also, why not have options, people?

Pressing F7 removes all of the HUD including the ability to open containers and otherwise interact with anything meaningfully, which makes it sub-optimal at it's ceiling. Options are good, and this is one that has been talked about for a long time. There are even Moms that do this.

Edited by TSBX (see edit history)

Yeah, a hard no to insta-scrapping. I like having to do some inventory management when out looting, deciding what I need more and what I'll have to get rid of or leave behind for later. A little quicker scrap time on brass wouldn't be bad though.

Would totally be down for a vanilla option to remove the XP popup. Next time I start up a serious run I'll probably turn it off as well as zombie death anims and such.

And I don't think losing the character customization is that big a deal, nor is if we only have a limted amount of heads to choose from. Not like you'll see it that much anyways. And as mentioned before, once you get a helmet, what's it matter?

15 minutes ago, Jugginator said:

Honestly I cant think of any balance issues in removing the scrap timer. I'm pretty sure the only reason  some people would miss it is the whole gain extra inventory slots by queuing up something that takes 9 weeks to scrap followed by things to keep.

Gotta wait for it to smelt in the forge either way.

Some people might do that, but most probably don't. Like bdubyah mentioned, inventory management is part of the experience. Deciding whether or not you take those jars of coffee you found back to base, or put them aside for the radiator you got from a car makes the player have a meaningful decision to what's more important. Being able to mine more or making some more rounds for horde night.

Timers can be easily tweaked, but ripping the whole system out doesn't sound like a good idea.

1 hour ago, TSBX said:

Some people might do that, but most probably don't. Like bdubyah mentioned, inventory management is part of the experience. Deciding whether or not you take those jars of coffee you found back to base, or put them aside for the radiator you got from a car makes the player have a meaningful decision to what's more important. Being able to mine more or making some more rounds for horde night.

Timers can be easily tweaked, but ripping the whole system out doesn't sound like a good idea.

Yeah but isn't there enough inventory management to where a few scrap timers that previously took like dozens of mins if a few are done at once doesnt make much of a difference? 

1 minute ago, Jugginator said:

Yeah but isn't there enough inventory management to where a few scrap timers that previously took like dozens of mins if a few are done at once doesnt make much of a difference? 

That's why you want to make a workbench. It allows you to offload crafting and scrapping to a secondary source so you can focus on your here and now in your inventory.

Scrapping is sacrificing when compared to melting  things into the forge. It's a meaningful choice, and we like those, right? :)