Magolis Compo Pack by The Compopack

stallionsden
Message added by SylenThunder,

The Compopack's purpose is to showcase a wide range of community created prefabs and make them available as a single download. Compopack has always been free for anyone to download and use in 7 Days to Die, whether playing solo or with friends, on a server, or as part of an overhaul.

When modification/s to pois may be necessary (to fit the theme or scope of an overhaul), we ask that the prefabs are acknowledged as being part of the Compo Pack and not renamed.

Thank you

1 hour ago, v1712 said:

Thanks for updating.

May i suggest dividing pack into 3 or 5 parts? I huge pack will take a lot of effort (and time) to refactor. While smaller packs are suitable for separate realises each taking less effort.

Thank you for the suggestion. 

Apart from the massive work done on the pack and  vanilla bugs and the block change and tile system etc. Testing is the main hold up. Before I release testing is done on the pack for nres, issues etc. 

Updating to a20 had to go thru and fix many issues the converter did not do as well as go thru and refill every sign in every poi because the converter removed all the writing for every single 1. Custom parts and adding the parts and driveways etc to. All of this had to still be done.

Rushing the pack because a few are wanting it yesterday lol causes more issues and a bad name for the cp. I have said from the start when it is ready. 

Thank you tho all whom have been patient the end product be a playable game without any issues nor constant map wipes cause of issues.  

Edited by stallionsden (see edit history)

6 hours ago, stallionsden said:

Thank you for the suggestion. 

Apart from the massive work done on the pack and  vanilla bugs and the block change and tile system etc. Testing is the main hold up. Before I release testing is done on the pack for nres, issues etc. 

Updating to a20 had to go thru and fix many issues the converter did not do as well as go thru and refill every sign in every poi because the converter removed all the writing for every single 1. Custom parts and adding the parts and driveways etc to. All of this had to still be done.

Rushing the pack because a few are wanting it yesterday lol causes more issues and a bad name for the cp. I have said from the start when it is ready. 

Thank you tho all whom have been patient the end product be a playable game without any issues nor constant map wipes cause of issues.  

Release it before tomorrow or i will show up naked on your porch.

22 hours ago, ScubaSteve3465 said:

Couldnt you just use the prefab converter tool to convert the a19 POIs to a20, someone posted it not too long ago but you would have to go through EVERY poi in the pack. Would that still cause a bunch of issues? Sorry if this was asked already. 

It's a good question. As Stallion said, the converter tools are a starting point for bringing an A19 POI to A20, not a complete solution.

If you had CP47 and ran the conversion tool, you'd have a bunch of POIs with a bunch of quirks like missing microwave ovens, mailboxes facing the wrong way, holes in buildings where blocks changed sizes, you won't have some of the new final loot boxes, etc.  But technically, you could still play them... if you can get them placed.

The trouble is they won't be rigged to be included in the new RWG. They won't have the appropriate tags. RWG will ignore them. You could edit each XML file and add tags and get them to place in the Wilderness, and sometimes placed on the outer edge of a settlement along rural tiles.

The big problem you'll face is the CP47 POIs aren't the standard RWG sizes for A20. They won't fit into the Tiles. To make them fit into the Tiles, you have to change the POI's size. This often comes with hard decisions, akin to "do I remove rooms or add rooms?" Suddenly, you're looking at hundreds of hours of work.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

10 hours ago, zztong said:

It's a good question. As Stallion said, the converter tools are a starting point for bringing an A19 POI to A20, not a complete solution.

If you had CP47 and ran the conversion tool, you'd have a bunch of POIs with a bunch of quirks like missing microwave ovens, mailboxes facing the wrong way, holes in buildings where blocks changed sizes, you won't have some of the new final loot boxes, etc.  But technically, you could still play them... if you can get them placed.

The trouble is they won't be rigged to be included in the new RWG. They won't have the appropriate tags. RWG will ignore them. You could edit each XML file and add tags and get them to place in the Wilderness, and sometimes placed on the outer edge of a settlement along rural tiles.

The big problem you'll face is the CP47 POIs aren't the standard RWG sizes for A20. They won't fit into the Tiles. To make them fit into the Tiles, you have to change the POI's size. This often comes with hard decisions, akin to "do I remove rooms or add rooms?" Suddenly, you're looking at hundreds of hours of work.

Ah I gotcha. Yea I wasn't planning on trying it myself or anything I was just curious. I've talked to stallion a little and you can tell he's close and just tying a few things up so its best to just wait anyway. Honestly been using your pack zztong and a few other POIs until CP48 is ready lol :D

Parts - Exploring the Complications of Parts and Modlets

If a POI Creator makes a POI that includes custom Parts then submits the POI to the CP, the custom Parts have to come with it or else they will never get placed by RWG (because it cannot find them) and you might detach them in the Prefab Editor (because it cannot find them).

The hassle on the POI creator's side is remembering to send the Parts. And, if you make a lot of POIs and submit them in batches, then you have to look them all up, which isn't hard or overly time consuming, but potentially error prone.

The hassle on the CP side is the POIs and the Parts get renamed. This means Stallion has to edit each POI's XML (either directly or via the Prefab Editor) and change the associated Part names stored within. If he were to skip renaming them, he potentially can encounter naming collisions. It can also complicate support for CP customers as messages like "unable to find part_zztong_spikes_01" might be a problem in CP, or a problem in my modlet, if they were both installed.

Parts are designed for reuse. If a POI Creator sends in yet another POI and reuses a Part, the CP receiver may not realize it is the same Part as has already been received and renamed.

If POI creators were to collaborate on a Part Library, we might avoid duplication in our Part creation. We also create a dependency. Either the Part Library must be installed along with the dependent modlet, or the modlet has to include the Part Library. If more than one modlet includes the Part Library, it is unclear which one the game will find and use. (I assume native game directories are searched first, but after that in what order are the modlets searched? Alpha order?)

Before I run off and start heavily using my growing number (100+) of parts, what would you all say is the "best practice"?

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

2 hours ago, zztong said:

Parts - Exploring the Complications of Parts and Modlets

If a POI Creator makes a POI that includes custom Parts then submits the POI to the CP, the custom Parts have to come with it or else they will never get placed by RWG (because it cannot find them) and you might detach them in the Prefab Editor (because it cannot find them).

The hassle on the POI creator's side is remembering to send the Parts. And, if you make a lot of POIs and submit them in batches, then you have to look them all up, which isn't hard or overly time consuming, but potentially error prone.

The hassle on the CP side is the POIs and the Parts get renamed. This means Stallion has to edit each POI's XML (either directly or via the Prefab Editor) and change the associated Part names stored within. If he were to skip renaming them, he potentially can encounter naming collisions. It can also complicate support for CP customers as messages like "unable to find part_zztong_spikes_01" might be a problem in CP, or a problem in my modlet, if they were both installed.

Parts are designed for reuse. If a POI Creator sends in yet another POI and reuses a Part, the CP receiver may not realize it is the same Part as has already been received and renamed.

If POI creators were to collaborate on a Part Library, we might avoid duplication in our Part creation. We also create a dependency. Either the Part Library must be installed along with the dependent modlet, or the modlet has to include the Part Library. If more than one modlet includes the Part Library, it is unclear which one the game will find and use. (I assume native game directories are searched first, but after that in what order are the modlets searched? Alpha order?)

Before I run off and start heavily using my growing number (100+) of parts, what would you all say is the "best practice"?

That be fairly easy as discussed. The part maybe part_zztong_ etc. Another user maybe part_username_vulture_statue. 

Changing the poi name to cp way the part will still work in said poi.

This way even if 2 users have a vulture_statue the username will define it to being unique regardless.

The making it go with the said poi/s will be my part on my end with the cp.

When it comes to say the creators part being used on their modlet on a poi and the cp changed name same part name tho. I believe it still work just 1 be used and the other not, tho would have to test this out more to be certain

Edited by stallionsden (see edit history)

1 minute ago, ScubaSteve3465 said:

20.4 stable just released, I was about to start a new game since I updated a bunch of mods on my server from the NPC mod but now im thinking I should hold off for a little bit and wait for the CP now.

Upto you. I am close tho but amongst a busy week in rl for me. Have forum updating to do as well. Discord updating etc some final map fly thrus for last minute nres etc. 

But very close and head down stuck into what I need to do now for the release candidate.

Ah I gotcha, thanks for the info. I think I will hold off and try and wait before I gen a new map. I hate to do that then a day or two later cp drops and I need to start over again lol.

EDIT: Stallion just said he has a few things to tie up before release but its almost ready. Not sure how you missed it since it was right above your post.

Edited by ScubaSteve3465 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, riscoloco said:

Are we there yet?

Patience is a virtude.  

Let they work as much as they need/want on it.  Not sure about you, but i rather wait than starting on a not tested version just to have to wipe my save every day with new versions due spam of bugfixes needed. 

Also, its better for servers as well to have one stable and well tested version out because its always risky to update stuff on a server without breaking stuff. 

I plan on hosting a couple of servers for South America as soon as CP gets released.  

CP + UL 
CP + DF
CP only ( pure vanilla )
CP + my personal mod that im working on.

4 minutes ago, riscoloco said:

Are you able to say roughly how much longer week,two weeks? dont mean to be impatient but "soon" was said a month ago lol 

Not much longer to wait as soon as I can give a def date I will let you know.  

But we are close. Apartnfrom rl appts as I mentioned earlier I have end stuff to do and changelogs and maps to gen for release. Testers are doing final fly thrus for any last minute nres  poi and tile unlevellness and anything out of the ordinary while I tidy up stuff and then put the pack together.

But finilising the pack and putting it together can be quick or can be time consuming depending how nice the code wants to be so it is a process where I check it twice release it once kind a thing. Rushing is not my fortay either, errors prone to creep in and make it longer in the end. 

One more suggestion - is it possible to name POI files with following mask: 'xcostum_<authorName>_<poiName>' for soreting purposes?

P.S. Partial realises (like 1/4 of all POIs in pack) do not prevent high quality. But they speed up realise cycle and provide feedback (testing purposes) and quick profits.

OK looking at next week for release. Got pack release testing to do and changelogs to post and a final video on how the cp works in a20 which is important.

A final a20 gift from the cp. Will give a definite date maybe Monday. 

If the front pages change it isn't the release as such it is me getting ya all ready.  Stay tuned and thank you for your patience and excitement 

Amazing. It sucks I have to wait another week but I'm psyched. So happy to see you getting this project finished up for A20. I'm sure you have plenty but if you need any help just let me know. I'll be eagerly awaiting a definite date, thanks for the update your a God among men sir.