Purpose of deep rock layer?

Bubbahotetp

Wouldn't it make sense to just keep about ten blocks of dirt and rock and to maybe make higher mountains instead? All the rock layer is used for nowadays is some deep POIS (which as well can be situated up mountain sides) and a little bit of unnecessary mining. There are no caves, underground building is useless so why not use the extra real estate to make higher mountain ranges?

Just because you think mining is useless doesn't mean it is. Without my iron mines, I could not fill up the darttraps in my horde base. And something like the boom box basedesign from GrandSpartan is impossible without a lot of iron, nitrate and coal.

And I also like building underground bases. They're not useless. They are not as safe as they once were, but if you go down to the bedrock you are very safe down there, except for the Blood Moon Horde.

5 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Just because you think mining is useless doesn't mean it is. Without my iron mines, I could not fill up the darttraps in my horde base. And something like the boom box basedesign from GrandSpartan is impossible without a lot of iron, nitrate and coal.

And I also like building underground bases. They're not useless. They are not as safe as they once were, but if you go down to the bedrock you are very safe down there, except for the Blood Moon Horde.

Very much in agreement with this. Underground bases do not enjoy the absolute invincibility they once did; But they are still perfectly viable locations for a base; even on horde nights...You just have to think about what you're building a bit more and understand some more of the nuances of the zombies AI; Note: I do not mean to abuse the AI- Only that knowing a bit about how they might choose to try and reach you can help you intelligently design the base.

yeah underground bases are cool and got nuked because a bunch of people complained about them kinda sucks for those of us that liked building underground bases its now impossible to do so if you dont want your underground base destroyed by BMH. 

The lowest terrain (above water) should be at least 36 blocks high, to allow POI with very deep underground areas.

The total range is 0 to 255, above that there can be no terrain or blocks.

Increasing the range would make the chunks larger and require lots of code changes. Its not likely to change.

5 hours ago, Damocles said:

The lowest terrain (above water) should be at least 36 blocks high

I think you mean 'bedrock' not 'water'? Water occurs at various elevations and of course there is shoreline that is +1m higher than the water.

The main bodies of water all have the same water level. Big lakes, surrounding ocean etc. Unless its a manually edited map like Navezgane or the small lakes in NitroGen.

Water is risky, as it can easily flood the map when placed wrong, so a common water level is the safest choice.

Bedrock are the lowest 2 or 3 blocks.

POI cellars need to keep above that.

And the water line is kind of defined just below the minimum elevation of POIs.

22 hours ago, Esperante said:

yeah underground bases are cool and got nuked because a bunch of people complained about them kinda sucks for those of us that liked building underground bases its now impossible to do so if you dont want your underground base destroyed by BMH. 

Experimentation may lead you to a new conclusion. Figuring out bases of any type that work well can be a very enjoyable aspect of the game. Don't throw the word "impossible" out there so quickly or casually.

My end game bases have always been underground trap laden death traps. It is one of the easiest ways to ensure they take a specific path. I start with a small platform with a hatch to a hay bale at the bottom when I get overrun and then defend from the end of a hallway of campfire filled death.

On 6/27/2020 at 10:58 AM, kamer1337 said:

you are wrong its very important in pvp

The devs said that PvP isn't some main focus in the game and with all the glitching I can see underground bases being pretty innefective against a determined base hunter in PvP.

Make underground bases with walls a few blocks thick of steel and they'll be pretty darn zombie-proof against most zombies. Don't put your base on a plateau without realizing the risk of holes being chewed in the walls below. 

Archived